So we got new Venomancer pets in the boutique...

Options
2»

Comments

• catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In attempt to form a more objective opinion of the Corgi and find what is special about it, as legendary pets generally have something they are good at, I observed the available moods. I noticed it has a lot of moods with the skill that has a chance to increase its Attack Rate. I thought it would be really neat if it actually stacks with its evolution skill. That would make the Corgi an "APS" pet that might work really well for PvE! Lo and behold, of course the buffs don't stack. They just overwrite or cancel each other out.

I don't know know what the developers where thinking when they made this pet. The Battlebot at least makes sense as a form of "physical Harpy", but the Corgi? Hell if I know.

Edit: Got the Battlebot info from @jadasia!
    You can now check the evolution skills and available moods of the new pets!
    Here's a quick link to them:

Evolution skills
    Moods and Mood skills

Also check out the Battlebot Pet Evolved thread for some information and observations of the pet!

​​
    Post edited by catgirldesu on
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry for the double post, but I'd rather keep putting information in this thread until I can gather everything and make a review thread like I did for the Monkey/Harpy.

I am officially confused at what the developers tried to do with the Corgi.

The Battlebot gets player damage reduction moods but has (apparently) monster-only stun. Well, to be fair, the Harpy's the same. At least the Battlebot still has some cool things to offer and is arguably comparable to the Harpy in terms of pure DD. More testing may be needed.

The Corgi has no player damage reduction moods, so I simply cannot classify it as a PvP pet. I can see it as a PvE pet, but the developers seem to have assigned it moods at random so I don't know what to think. Like stated in my previous comment, it has a bunch of attack rate mood skills that don't even stack with its evolution skill. Wraithslayer? This pet seems to encourage fast auto-attacking.

Corgi gets a skill that's exactly like the Monkey's (Corgi Insignia = Rule The World), along with Pounce and Flesh Ream like the Monkey... but again, no player damage reduction for PvP means the Corgi will just get destroyed. Sure it has an immune skill but it's only 6 seconds. That can only save it... like one time in 1v1... or just immune and send it in the crowd to do... what exactly? It doesn't have AOE stun!

The Battlebot and the Harpy already seem to be built to out DD the Corgi, so I can't exactly treat it as a top DD pet either. It can't take advantage of Wraithslayer because its thing seems to be having high attack rate.

What is the Corgi for?

readImage?iid=9310200

Things they could have done with the Corgi:

1. Allow attack rate mood skills to stack with the evolution skill to let the pet get some high APS damage. As far as I know, anti-APS buff doesn't affect pets.

2. Give it an AOE stun (perhaps with a little bigger radius but make it melee range) so you combo it with its immune skill. (Player damage reduction from moods available.)

3. Leave the skills as is, but give it higher defences and HP (with player damage reduction available) so that while it lacks stunlocking abilities (compared to the Monkey) it will have survival going for it so that you can take advantage of the new Venomous and Natural Synergy. Pets are dead in PvP most of the time.

..but no. They didn't do any of these. Don't tell me this pet is supposed to be for Demon Venomancers, to proc Ironwood and have the Corgi APS someone to death. That's such a specific and specialized purpose that seems a little stupid. I can see it work in PWCN due to R8r being the standard gear (less HP, less defence levels) but it has some issues: 1) What about Sage Venomancers? 2) Ironwood is not reliable, you can't exactly expect the pet to be alive when Ironwood procs and if all you do is try to Ironwood and keep pet alive for that moment... People will save their pots/genie for then.

​​
  • olzidon
    olzidon Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @catgirldesu the antiaps buff isnt ignored, it works against pets :/
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Hmm. Are you sure? When I tested it in the Heavenfall Tower, which also has anti-aps buff on some parts. I continued dealing the same damage (and so did my pet) even after I let it auto-attack a lot. I can go test it again though.​​
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    Options
    Even monkey can't kill anyone in 0 proc with aps. It deals higher dmg with a skill, but 10-15 sec cd? =\ No way pet can aps someone to death nowadays. The only point in having a pet I see is controlling and removing defence charms from enemies (for which it should also live somehow). Can't do anything of that = not suitable for pvp at all.​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • srovarie
    srovarie Posts: 44 Arc User
    Options
    I tried aps on my Monkey in FSP for a few times and he only makes real damage if he uses Rule the World or Heavy Load. May you used Harpy at the test? Because she only uses skills so that would make sense.
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Corgi can get pretty decent APS speed with its evolution skill and has higher attack than Monkey (assuming good Inherit roll) so I could see it work on R8r players with 0 proc but still... that's assuming the person doesn't have AD/whatever. It's definitely not something that could work in PWI either way, lol.

srovarie wrote: »
    I tried aps on my Monkey in FSP for a few times and he only makes real damage if he uses Rule the World or Heavy Load. May you used Harpy at the test? Because she only uses skills so that would make sense.

No, it was the Monkey. I tested it in the Protectors room. First I attacked a few times and then I let the Monkey use Rule the World a few times. Then I let the Monkey auto-attack the bead for a good while. When I attacked again I had the same damage more or less, same for the Monkey's Rule the World. I'll go test it on others places later though.​​
    Post edited by catgirldesu on
  • olzidon
    olzidon Posts: 5 Arc User
    Options
    @catgirldesu I just got a nix and in fsp i definitly does not deal any dmg against the apsimmune bosses. In heavenfall i used it aswell and ye sometimes it seems to work , but f.e. in this tower defense room it does not work
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Hmm, I'll check other places later then and see how it goes.​​
  • calorien
    calorien Posts: 36 Arc User
    Options
    I can also confirm that anti-APS buff affects pets, having tanked Sanzi with herc. Normal attacks do double digit damage; reflect, bash, gold armor deity and primal howl do 4 digits.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Okay tested in FSP seems to affect auto-attacks. That's pretty weird though, does the tower work differently somehow? I guess I'll look again next time I go. monkey-16.gif Unless I didn't notice because of the tower buffs.

​​
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My monkey's autoattack damage is pretty lame on all antiaps bosses. I always thought it affects pets too.​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So.. does the new elysium pet heal skill help with the Corgi? I had the battlebot tanking the pirate king and dealing 50K DD per hit for awhile yesterday until it started getting 1 shot by its AoE. I'm going to assume the new pet heal will help it a lot but will do nothing for it with PvP.

I learned the scarab 1st and I definitely noticed a difference with it.
  • catgirldesu
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nah, it doesn't really help any more than the other pets. It's about Corgi's functionality which is non-existent.

I really don't like hating or bashing this pet. I've been trying hard to find ways to use it or find a reason why someone should buy it. Unfortunately, I've found nothing at all. Thanks to the anti-aps buff, the Corgi isn't much different than a Monkey, except that you won't be able to bring the Corgi in PvP unlike the Monkey.

The Corgi is comparable to the Phoenix, which is another pet that's horribly overshadowed by other legendary pets. However, the Phoenix is cheaper, assuming you buy it during Battle Pet pack sales or find some cheap Phoenix ticket from Perfect Chests.

I'd say, the Phoenix works as a PvP pet as well, but I'm really not in touch with how well it can survive these days. If the Phoenix dies super fast then it's not much different than the Corgi. The Corgi does have better base HP/defences and Inherit stats, but it lacks the PvP buff which the Phoenix can get. You also cannot take the Phoenix to instances until level 100. In the end it might come down to the price difference and design preferences.

Still, I'm inclined to say I'd take the Phoenix over the Corgi simply because it's cheaper (or should be, at least) and has the potential of a PvP pet. This is up for debate though. I don't have a way to compare them so I'm going off speculation here.

For now, I taught the Corgi Shriek so I can use it to interrupt bosses and stuff. It comes in handy sometimes. I always keep a pet with Shriek around.
    ​​
  • notvenomancer#0878
    notvenomancer#0878 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 20
    Options
    Hello Everyone, how about now, do you guys have thoughts having corgi battle pet for pvp, since it can inherit the stats of its master? I'm planning to get one. I already have harpy titan and mk.