The long story of the forums?

zoner112012
zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
So I am a bit confused. I get on forums today and well....I can no longer see half the page. The entire left side of the forums is off the screen for me now and I can not scroll right to left. Anyone know wth is going on? lol
ln5aR6B.jpg

Comments

• zoner112012
    Here is a ss for posterity.

Although i can scroll using my arrow keys this is annoying lol
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    We both have the same problem. Other people dont.
    http://forum.arcgames.com/pwi/discussion/1203314/the-forum#latest

They are saying it has to do with the resolution.
    giphy.gif

• barber
    barber Posts: 86 Arc User
    sounds like you might have your setting messed up on "View" options...try and see if you have the zoom option turned up to high

I dont know which browser you are using but depending on which one it might have a percentage type of option on it, you may need to play around with it somehow

or heck it might just be the screen resolution you are using
    banner01.jpg
  • zoner112012
    It isn't the resolution, or my zoom level. I have not changed either of them and even if it was...it would give me the option to scroll from left to right but it doesn't.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • zoner112012
    I very much suspect this has something to do with the forum formatting....probably some kind of mix up.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • axel320
    axel320 Posts: 66 Arc User
    The new layout for the forums appears to be made to support resolutions no less than ~1200px in width (because **** smaller resolutions, I guess).

Use forum.arcgames.com instead of arcgames.com/en/forums. The scrolling issue stems from their (terrible) use of an iframe, so this will allow you to scroll; but you're still going to have issues with the width.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    axel320 wrote: »
    The new layout for the forums appears to be made to support resolutions no less than ~1200px in width (because **** smaller resolutions, I guess).

Use forum.arcgames.com instead of arcgames.com/en/forums. The scrolling issue stems from their (terrible) use of an iframe, so this will allow you to scroll; but you're still going to have issues with the width.

Yeah, as I stated in the other thread, 1280x1024 has been the internet standard for a long time now. If your monitor is smaller than that, it's way past time to look into upgrading.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • axel320
    axel320 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Yeah, as I stated in the other thread, 1280x1024 has been the internet standard for a long time now. If your monitor is smaller than that, it's way past time to look into upgrading.​​

========

Except that only applies if you give zero ****s about anyone not on a desktop/laptop. "Most people" that use desktops/laptops having a resolution > 1280px isn't an excuse to ignore responsive design, especially when you have so many people using tablets and such these days, not to mention you're forcing people to have maximized browser windows when viewing the page.

Of course, this is PWE we're talking about, so...
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Except that only applies if you give zero ****s about anyone not on a desktop/laptop. "Most people" that use desktops/laptops having a resolution > 1280px isn't an excuse to ignore responsive design, especially when you have so many people using tablets and such these days, not to mention you're forcing people to have maximized browser windows when viewing the page.

Of course, this is PWE we're talking about, so...
    Most current tablets, and even smartphones have a standard resolution of 1920x1080, with newer devices being 2048×1536. (really old tablets have a standard size of 1280x800.)
    The smaller (15-inch) laptop screens are 1366x768 currently. The previous standard was 1280x800.

All of those resolutions (which have been the standards for almost 10 years now), will accommodate a fixed width page of 1200px just fine. That gives you 80 pixels to spare. With 10 pixels for the scrollbar and about 5 pixels for the window borders, you've got a 65px buffer.

Most of the sites I design have a fixed width of 1200px to support a proper forum layout.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User

@sylenthunder said:
    Most of the sites I design have a fixed width of 1200px to support a proper forum layout.​​

I use @media queries to create responsive layouts since Google dings websites for not having proper mobile versions now. 1200px width and 960px width are the standard sizes I design to which fit 95% of people. I'm also now experimenting designing for smart watches which have an ultra tiny resolution.

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • veganblood
    veganblood Posts: 72 Arc User
    This discussion is all nice but none of it seems to explains why zoner112012 all the sudden has this problem. Am assuming he didn't switch to an ancient monitor all the sudden, otherwise he'd mention it, and he has not changed his settings. The point is that it USED TO work fine for him so he suspects it's something new with Arc Forums since it's had recent maintenance.

It isn't the resolution, or my zoom level. I have not changed either of them and even if it was...it would give me the option to scroll from left to right but it doesn't.

Hope you got it figured out TZ.

"BE the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Gandhi ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    MKVP7fB.png
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way it's animals are treated."
    ~ Gandhi ~
  • zoner112012

This discussion is all nice but none of it seems to explains why zoner112012 all the sudden has this problem. Am assuming he didn't switch to an ancient monitor all the sudden, otherwise he'd mention it, and he has not changed his settings. The point is that it USED TO work fine for him so he suspects it's something new with Arc Forums since it's had recent maintenance.

Hope you got it figured out TZ.

Nope I just had to zoom out of the page...when i zoom in it still doesnt give me the option of scrolling left to right so I don't know what happened. Probably compatibility issues with the site and firefox or something. I guess i can deal with it like this.
    ln5aR6B.jpg