How well does PWI play for you?

Options
lagunal8
lagunal8 Posts: 48 Arc User
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
Taken from another thread. Rather than derailed it a bit, I thought id put up a thread since its pretty quiet anyways.
My thoughts came from this quote:
razzzza wrote: »
Thats because PWI uses 1 out of the 8 cores you have and ontop of that the AMD FX series has TERRIBLE singlecore performance. so thats your problem. i have no issues running PV100+ and aoeing half the instance on my core i5 OC to 4.2GHz.

I run a i5/ singleGTX680/ 3.3-3.7GHz
with that said im curious how well other players run.
With this/my PC,
- PV100 runs normal with full graphics.
(tested. But since its no use running full graphics for PV i dont do it)
-TW runs aweful with full graphics if hectic
-TW still runs somewhat laggy with simple graphics & full distance setting.
- 8-10 clients run ok in instances. (never tried more than)

Ive not included Archo West because it feels more like internet lag there than a graphics thing.
Its nothing too technical but just a general comparison.

*EDIT
btw as far as i am aware i think PWE's Swordsman is the only one that uses angelica III engine so it kinda skipped over PWI so no getting hopes up >.> doubful they have on JD/ESO/PWI
​​
A.K.A DECEPTISTAR I'M HERE SINCE 2008 BISHES! wahaha... [img]http://asterpw.github.io/pwicons/emotes/tiger-40.gif[/img]
lagunal8.deviantart.com
★New weekly quests! Discover the bug in the patch-Nihillae★My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony.-Neurosis★You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life.-Ninnuam★A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them-ilystah★[How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours.-ColdSteele★If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★This thread is a joke right? Please say yes.-eatwithspoons★This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth.-Alacol★Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution.-Asterelle★Shoo troll >:O-TheDan★People who chose to be a PvE server is a dirt poor choice of life. They want a state of mind where everything is free and safe. All losers.-voluminous
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    Options
    Well for me it heavily depends on what im doing ingame and out of the game and if some programs use my CPU or not.
    Most of the time when im playing PWI i just do random things and nothing CPU intensive.

I dont have prolems in PV100+ (im running alone, im a sin) and only run into issues when my pc in on for more then 24hours or have more clients open then you could imagine (silence...)

I have some problems when alot of stuff happens in FSP only at drake boss. dont know why but sometimes i have huge lag there and sometimes its alright. other bosses are no problem.
    In TW it can get laggy at times (rarely do TW to begin with) but reducing some graphics fixes that.
    In west archo i lag and drop under the 30FPS everytime. i mostly run around in the sub 20 but rarely unter 20.

In random places like dailys, other quests or whatever i never have problems at all.

Also the GPU has like no impact on the performance on this game sadly. i run a r9 390 and it does not change a thing. i could run this game just fine on my onboard GPU.
    CPU is the most important one and as quotet the AMD FX series is one of the worst singlecore performance of the more recent CPUs out there.
    I had that one and it sucked hard. sold it pretty quick after and bought a core i5 3570k and OC it to 4.2GHz. singlecore performance is waaaay better on that one and you feel it even in PWI.​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    Here's a small map of the primary hardware progression I've played with.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 8800GT with 512MB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 20-25.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Inbred Intel 3000 graphics. (Actually used the CPU, no GPU at all), Avg FPS 12-14.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, GTX650 1GB RAM. Avg FPS 20-25.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX660Ti 2GB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 25-30.
    • Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX660Ti 2GB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 45-55.
    Couldn't find the Speccy link offhand for when I ran the inbred graphics while the 8800GT was blown, but I'm sure I've got it somewhere.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
  • lagunal8
    Options
    someone needs to make a barebones pc and run it with an old old cpu single core and tell us how it is
    Here's a small map of the primary hardware progression I've played with.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 8800GT with 512MB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 20-25.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Inbred Intel 3000 graphics. (Actually used the CPU, no GPU at all), Avg FPS 12-14.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, GTX650 1GB RAM. Avg FPS 20-25.
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX660Ti 2GB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 25-30.
    • Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX660Ti 2GB RAM. (Speccy) Avg FPS 45-55.
    Couldn't find the Speccy link offhand for when I ran the inbred graphics while the 8800GT was blown, but I'm sure I've got it somewhere.

did the game run better with the older core 2? or newer was better? >>
    ​​
    A.K.A DECEPTISTAR I'M HERE SINCE 2008 BISHES! wahaha... [img]http://asterpw.github.io/pwicons/emotes/tiger-40.gif[/img]
    lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★New weekly quests! Discover the bug in the patch-Nihillae★My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony.-Neurosis★You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life.-Ninnuam★A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them-ilystah★[How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours.-ColdSteele★If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★This thread is a joke right? Please say yes.-eatwithspoons★This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth.-Alacol★Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution.-Asterelle★Shoo troll >:O-TheDan★People who chose to be a PvE server is a dirt poor choice of life. They want a state of mind where everything is free and safe. All losers.-voluminous
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Options
    I use an older Alienware X51 (i3 core) and it runs like a dream. I have no problem running max settings, and it is very unusual for me to lag in TW. The only problem is that it has two graphics cards and PWI can't handle switching, so you have to force it to use one of them.
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    lagunal8 wrote: »
    someone needs to make a barebones pc and run it with an old old cpu single core and tell us how it is
    I could do that if I have the spare time. CPU would probably be close to the minimum specs for the game.
    did the game run better with the older core 2? or newer was better? >>
    umm... I posted the average FPS for each build to show how the client ran.

I got a slight improvement when I upgraded to 8GB RAM, which is likely due to less pagefile use. I got a significant increase with the upgraded CPU.

On average when I play, I have 10-20 browser tabs open, Netflix or Pandora running, two clients, Skype, TS3, Overwolf, Steam, TeamViewer, and sometimes I'm also hosting a server for LiF or 7DTD (or both, plus their server managers).​​

​​
  • freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Is it possible that the lag in TW or very very crowded area might come from the server, what if the server can't handle the data well in that situation and the result is lag on our end ?

It's kinda weird to me that a game as old as Perfect World that doesn't even stress out cpu/gpu much can have such a low fps like 4-5 fps in a VERY crowded area with a lot of stuffs going on, and it didn't matter much everytime I upgraded my PC (increased ram, running from ssd, from dual core -> quad core -> i7 920 -> i7 2600k, etc), the lag was always there in the same situation.

If it is because of the old game engine, how come is that ? like for example a console emulator, let's say PS1, using the same outdated PS1 emulator version, I got increased fps everytime I upgraded my hardware especially gpu/cpu part or even just overclocking it.
    (Outdated version of the PS1 emulator I use as an analogy here acts as the outdated engine PW has, dunno if it's a valid comparison but seems to me it is, the code is the same only running on better hardwares/specs)

• sylenthunder
    Options
    freygin wrote: »
    Is it possible that the lag in TW or very very crowded area might come from the server, what if the server can't handle the data well in that situation and the result is lag on our end ?

It's kinda weird to me that a game as old as Perfect World that doesn't even stress out cpu/gpu much can have such a low fps like 4-5 fps in a VERY crowded area with a lot of stuffs going on, and it didn't matter much everytime I upgraded my PC (increased ram, running from ssd, from dual core -> quad core -> i7 920 -> i7 2600k, etc), the lag was always there in the same situation.

If it is because of the old game engine, how come is that ? like for example a console emulator, let's say PS1, using the same outdated PS1 emulator version, I got increased fps everytime I upgraded my hardware especially gpu/cpu part or even just overclocking it.
    (Outdated version of the PS1 emulator I used as an analogy here acts as the outdated engine PW has, dunno if it's a valid comparison but seems to me it does, the code is the same only running on better hardwares)
    Server can handle it just fine. I ran my server on an old V20z with 16GB RAM and two Opteron 2GHz CPU's. The server didn't start to bog down until I had over 800 separate entities within about a 10m area.

The problem with PWI is that it doesn't use the GPU for any processing at all. Your emulator will. In fact, your emulator relies pretty heavily on the GPU for processing.

Running from a SSD will improve load times, but after a bit of playtime, it's no faster than if you are running off of a disk drive. (I've even tested running the game off of a RAM disk, same results.)​​

​​
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    Options
    When i started playing i had a sempron, single core processor. I believe 3.2ghz or was it 2.2ghz, can not recall, will check newegg emails.

The fps in the pwi world around 60. Turn down setting fps in west arch around 40. Turn settings to max in instances, around 40~60.

Later on i got a 6 core processor, the fps rate dropped in most places. I started doing tw, some tw the fps was around 2~5. The highest i used to get in tw was around 20.

My experience has been that the single core processor preformed way better for pwi than the 6 core one.​​
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Options
    Really depends on where i'm at, open world and instances run fine all the time, but for some reason the entry point for primal world (kirin town) runs absolutely horrible and I have no idea why.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• krian090590
    krian090590 Posts: 235 Arc User
    Options
    lagunal8 said:

- 8-10 clients run ok in instances. (never tried more than)

I
    ​​

running 8-10 clients at once? takes skill no doubt, but... be careful when you post about doing something that is a clear violation of the ToS. It's unlikely any gm will do something about it, but can never bee too careful
    Etherblade Server
    due to mishaps in my past few years in game, I do NOT accept random invites (faction/squad/friend no randoms period) NOR will I give buffs (cleric/barb/sin/exp if i have it) to random people because they ask. If I DO give buffs to a random person, it's because of a random whim (much like the red detonator button sitting at my desk that i will one day push at a random whim)
    Also do NOT look at my gear and then proceed to pm me asking to buy my gear or for a loan of coin. It's just plain rude.
    I have too many toons to name, but if you play on Etherblade server and you come across a toon that acts this way, or if the world is suddenly destroyed, it was probably me.
  • ynwa77
    ynwa77 Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a Pentium K (dual core) 4.4Ghz oc, 8gb Ram 2133, 750Ti 2gb, Average fps 65-45 (duel client, max settings). With rc, vent, youtube, skype etc running in the background. Only issue i have is west at the weekends my fps drops to single figues. But in my experience thats the norm. Oh and i live in the UK and i use wireless B)
  • lagunal8
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Has anyone in the recent years played in a moderate to heavy TW with mid-high graphics effects smoothly? LOL....​​
    lagunal8.deviantart.com
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    Has anyone in the recent years played in a moderate to heavy TW with mid-high graphics effects smoothly? LOL....
    My graphic settings are maxed with shadows on the numbers I gave above. Those numbers included heavy TW battles.​​

​​
  • tictic99999
    tictic99999 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Options
    the problem with this game isn't as much a problem but rather simply its an old game that isn't being properly updated to today's technology. There is a very hard cap to how well your clients can work, i'd consider my computer top of the line:
    intel i-7 4960x overclocked at 4.3 (3.6 base)
    6 core hyper-thread
    32 GB ram
    dual nvidia 780x graphic cards

What do i get ingame?:
    for most times, min and max graphics don't affect this, however I usually have max graphics on
    20-40fps in heavy populated
    30-50fps in low populated
    normally I am running many other programs like chrome, YouTube, etc. but that should not affect this.

How many clients can I open?:
    I've tried many things for lulz and i've never found any even absurd amount of clients in which i saw a slow in performance.

What do I get on a benchmark or updated game?:
    330ish fps

edit: The computer the panda in my profile pic is knocking over is probably what the crappy server pw is using to run their games xD​​
    thfunny-21-1.gif
    (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
    Dawnglory's legendary Stormbringer ShockWave LV 105-105-103
    7 year old Harshlands character, semi-retired Wizard Boomz
    Will he reach 1800 spirit?
  • mulier
    mulier Posts: 305 Arc User
    Options
    main problem with pwi or more of the angelic (2 ? ) engine ---> does not really support any kind of newer core... means: u got a single core and are good to go ... add another bunch of cores ,,, they just wont get utlilized...

when tb expansion hit (i know we had graphical updates since then) gamew could be played in big tw with a p3 2ghz and like 4gb ram .....

nowadays all the quad cores and whatnow, dont really add alot of performance ...

im running on an older quad with 6gb ram ... if i remove 2gb ram .. game gets unplayable

the weird part : min maxing graphics doesnt seem to affect my fps all too much. (except for primal daily starting town --> go there with max settings ,,, and im fcked.)
  • lagunal8
    Options
    Has anyone in the recent years played in a moderate to heavy TW with mid-high graphics effects smoothly? LOL....
    My graphic settings are maxed with shadows on the numbers I gave above. Those numbers included heavy TW battles.
    pple like you make monster specs/pc so i dunno if you count in all this loltiger-21.gif​​
    lagunal8.deviantart.com
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    My graphic settings are maxed with shadows on the numbers I gave above. Those numbers included heavy TW battles.
    pple like you make monster specs/pc so i dunno if you count in all this loltiger-21.gif
    I dunno, a Q6600 isn't a monster spec PC. It's about 7 years old, and I still have it.​​

​​
  • dblazen1
    edited October 2015
    Options

You get >30 fps (on the list spec you posted) in heavy tw battles with maxed settings and shadows, really?​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• sylenthunder
    Options
    dblazen1 wrote: »

You get >30 fps (on the list spec you posted) in heavy tw battles with maxed settings and shadows, really?
    Yes, but also keep in mind I'm not running a standard setup. I've written guides on stripping down Windows to get the absolute best performance for gaming. My entire system is optimized to push the absolute most out of the hardware. That means matching bus speeds and specifically setting it up to prevent bottlenecks on the system bus, RAM, CPU, GPU, everything. I get hardly any performance impact by turning on Shadows. Maybe 2-3 FPS drop on average.

It's not some PC you would buy off the shelf. I custom-build all my systems.​​

​​
  • darkonome
    darkonome Posts: 253 Arc User
    Options
    Can we confirm this is a 80 vs 80 'heavy' TW battle, and your FPS in their base with 160 people spamming skills around you? I've been considering building a PC just for PWI as it's really the only game I get time to play nowadays. The one I have atm is pretty bad for single core performance.
    DarkSkiesx
    Tideswell
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    youtube.com/darkskiesx
    http://mypers.pw/8/#373457
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    We're talking about a standard of 60vs60 TW's. 80vs80 wouldn't be that much different in the grand scheme of things.

Keep in mind that I have also run a private server and have simulated running up to 8 clients with over 600 entities in an area on these PC's. Lowest average FPS in that situation was 12-14.​​

​​
  • dblazen1
    Options

You get >30 fps (on the list spec you posted) in heavy tw battles with maxed settings and shadows, really?
    Yes, but also keep in mind I'm not running a standard setup. I've written guides on stripping down Windows to get the absolute best performance for gaming. My entire system is optimized to push the absolute most out of the hardware. That means matching bus speeds and specifically setting it up to prevent bottlenecks on the system bus, RAM, CPU, GPU, everything. I get hardly any performance impact by turning on Shadows. Maybe 2-3 FPS drop on average.

It's not some PC you would buy off the shelf. I custom-build all my systems.

Any link to (any) of the guide(s)? I'm curious what you did then​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• sylenthunder
    Options

Any link to (any) of the guide(s)? I'm curious what you did then

Most of my work was done with BlackViper. I'm not sure if those websites still exist. It was down for a while due to financial issues. (Found it is still around. http://www.blackviper.com he's really changed the site a lot since I saw it last.)
    I wrote an entire book for Windows 7 when it was being released, but got beaten to the punch in publishing so I dropped it. (The other author's work was almost identical to mine so there wasn't any point.) I'm at work now, but this weekend I can pull up some of my old documentation. Much of it may be lost from when my HDD's suffered a critical failure a couple of years ago, but I keep lots of backups.

Whenever someone posts their Speccy log in tech support I always do an analysis and advised them on what can be safely shut off. If you want something more extreme, message me with the published report and I'll narrow it down even more so you can use something like GameBooster to temporarily superboost your PC. (not as effective with newer PC hardware though, as it's just not needed.)​​

​​
  • dblazen1
    edited October 2015
    Options

Any link to (any) of the guide(s)? I'm curious what you did then

Most of my work was done with BlackViper. I'm not sure if those websites still exist. It was down for a while due to financial issues. (Found it is still around. http://www.blackviper.com he's really changed the site a lot since I saw it last.)
    I wrote an entire book for Windows 7 when it was being released, but got beaten to the punch in publishing so I dropped it. (The other author's work was almost identical to mine so there wasn't any point.) I'm at work now, but this weekend I can pull up some of my old documentation. Much of it may be lost from when my HDD's suffered a critical failure a couple of years ago, but I keep lots of backups.

Whenever someone posts their Speccy log in tech support I always do an analysis and advised them on what can be safely shut off. If you want something more extreme, message me with the published report and I'll narrow it down even more so you can use something like GameBooster to temporarily superboost your PC. (not as effective with newer PC hardware though, as it's just not needed.)

Would have to do that when i'm back home, at the moment I don't own the latest and greatest, got the FX-8350 CPU when it came out back when, I know single-core/single-thread the performance is pretty bad compared to others and thus PWI will not run all that great in heavily populated areas, but I don't enter those anyway.
    It runs games I play otherwise pretty well though.
    I'd have to invest in a new computer sometime, but can't be bothered with it at the moment as I don't do anything that demands more than I have currently​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• lagunal8
    Options
    damn at first look that site is super confusing >.> had to stare at all the pages for 30 min to get wtf was going on...​​
    lagunal8.deviantart.com
  • sylenthunder
    Options
    damn at first look that site is super confusing >.> had to stare at all the pages for 30 min to get wtf was going on...

Yeah, it's pretty advanced. The assumption going in on that site is that you already have a very advanced understanding of Windows. It's not something your average user would be poking around with. I haven't really used it since the XP/Vista days.​​

​​
  • zigheart
    zigheart Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i'm running pwi on an asus g751 laptop, i7, 32 gigs of ram, and nvidea GTX 980m i typically get around 60 fps sometimes higher on the highest setting possible. i'm unsure what the CPU output is currently set to, its got a built in option for stable overclocking but i've never messed with it. i've yet to really experience lag inside any instance aside from the usual server hiccups here and there.

Ohh might mention i'm also using an SSD to play off of.