windows 10 issue

Sorry in advance but I have searched over and over again and cant find any help on this issue. I just updated to Windows 10 and once it was all loaded I tried to get into the game, Arc works fine, the updater works fine and when i hit START, it starts up to black screen with the pointer icon, and that is where it stops, I waited 10 min once to get it to go but nothing, so is there a way to fix this or am I out of the game till you guys get an update to it?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 7/29/2015 8:10:18 AM

Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Firewall Enabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
Schedule Frequency Every Day
Schedule Time
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Enabled
Antivirus
Antivirus Disabled
Display Name Windows Defender
Virus Signature Database Up to date
.NET Frameworks installed
v4.6 Full
v4.6 Client
Internet Explorer
Version 11.0.10240.16384
PowerShell
Version 5.0.10240.16384
Environment Variables
USERPROFILE C:\Users\Linx
SystemRoot C:\WINDOWS
User Variables
Machine Variables
Power Profile
Active power scheme Balanced
Hibernation Enabled
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power) 60 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power) 20 min
Suspend after: (On AC Power) Never
Screen saver Disabled
Uptime
Current Session
Current Time 7/29/2015 9:40:31 AM
Current Uptime 2,620 sec (0 d, 00 h, 43 m, 40 s)
Last Boot Time 7/29/2015 8:56:51 AM
Services
TimeZone
TimeZone GMT -8:00 Hours
Language English (United States)
Location United States
Format English (United States)
Currency $
Date Format M/d/yyyy
Time Format h:mm:ss tt
Scheduler
7/29/2015 9:54 AM; Adobe Flash Player Updater
Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-996321992-1196807751-105977253-1002
Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-996321992-1196807751-105977253-500
System Folders

Comments

• duckdog7214
    duckdog7214 Posts: 2 Arc User
    I believe the elementclient is incompatible for Windows 10 after i ran some testing.

System Information
    Time of this report: 7/29/2015, 09:37:04
    Machine name: DUCKDOG
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1_st1.150717-1719)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP 15 Notebook PC
    BIOS: F.13
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8122MB RAM
    Page File: 2484MB used, 13830MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Display Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
  • seila1919
    seila1919 Posts: 1 Arc User
    I have the exact same error. Can't play, just black screen and the pointer.
  • bacheera
    bacheera Posts: 4 Arc User
    Win 10 , 64 bit issue here too, only my pwi screen flashes like i have a strobe installed.
    Didn't even fix it with compatibility setting to Win 8. Hoping that it will work with uninstall and reinstalling it again.
  • shadowdragonofpower
    shadowdragonofpower Posts: 9 Arc User
    Well it apears that no one cares, because we say our issues and no response to the issue, just others who have the issue,
  • bacheera
    imo they might as well fire this support crew, half isn't working and the other half seems to be sleeping. :(
  • phoenixwraith
    phoenixwraith Posts: 9 Arc User
    Windows 10 under the hood is a lot like windows 7 & 8. some things have changed during beta testing of it. so I got a link for you guys to try. Hopefully I will be able to check it out later on today on my machine. Honestly it worked earlier this week but have not tested it since i got the full build.

Check the link and give it a try. if it works please leave a comment.
    howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/

Hope this works for you guys.
  • bacheera
    edited July 2015
    I tried compatibility modus Win 7 and 8 and neither lets me play PWI normal.
    Reinstalling PWI didn't work either. Now I'm hoping a full reinstall off Arc & PWI wil do the trick.
    Hope someone will get a solution for this problem to us soon if that doesn't work either.
    I'll keep you lot posted on the progress.
  • kickbk
    kickbk Posts: 1 Arc User
    I submitted a ticket on the Windows 10 issue, and this was their response;

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately at this time Windows 10 is not supported with PWI. Should it become supported in the future we will be sure to update the community of this changes.

Thank you for your time, take care and have a great day.

Regards,
    Navi
    Game Master
    Perfect World Entertainment
    http://support.arcgames.com/
  • shadowdragonofpower
    so in other words, **** the people who updated to windows 10 and let them get behind in the game play, I would revert back to windows 8.1 but don't know if I can get windows 10 again if I do this....... Damn them.
  • bacheera
    ****, ****, ****. You'd think with all the news about Win 10 coming out, these people would be awake and fix the support issue 1st. But NOOOOOOOOOOO, it's more important to merge the servers and what ever else they have planned.
    YAY thanks PWE for this super job u did at ruining a fine game.
  • bulldawg617
    bulldawg617 Posts: 9 Arc User
    Found a post by Sylen that said run client in windowed mode and it should work.
  • sweetpea6969
    sweetpea6969 Posts: 1 Arc User
    For those who have upgraded to Windows 10 (which im guessing would be ALOT of people) click graphics and change your resolution and go windowed mode, it will work!! Let's hope PWI gets with the times and fix this before the server merge.
  • mari70
    mari70 Posts: 1 Arc User
    it worked for me ty ty ty <3:)
  • shadowdragonofpower
    Yep the window thing worked, tho I uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure . TY!
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Be sure to fully exclude the client from your AV scans. Also run the client with the "run as administrator" option checked. If you don't, it will fill the page file until it hits the max and crashes your PC.

Older games like PWI have an issue with DX9 in Win10 and aren't able to run full screen mode correctly. I posted in here previously how to work around this. Basically, set the client at your full screen resolution, set the taskbar to auto-hide, and run it windowed full screen. It will function mostly like it's actually fullscreen.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2015

DxWnd may be suitable in this situation to produce the fullscreen look, although you'll have to play with it a bit to get it just right. I wouldn't recommend playing around with this unless you have some idea of what you're doing.

I'll give you the initial bits you need, but you'll have to play with the settings yourselves. You'll also need to change the path if PWI isn't in the standard install location for 64-bit systems.

== Main Tab
    Name: Perfect World International
    Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\PWI_en\element\elementclient.exe
    Launch: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\PWI_en\element\elementclient.exe startbypatcher arc:1

== Video Tab
    Check "Hide Taskbar"
    Check "Hide desktop background"

I don't have Windows 10 yet but plan on buying it soon. Once I do, I'll find a way to make it work in fullscreen. So you can try for yourselves and figure it out or wait a month or two for me to get Windows 10 and do it myself.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • duckdog7214
    duckdog7214 Posts: 2 Arc User
    Window 10 users.....if you get a black screen or flickering screen......just start game and go in-game and set it to Window mode .....after you do that close it out and go in your Window 10 Display and make the adjustments and then start the game back up and you should be fine. First thing i done is uninstalled my Display driver and installed an updated driver and it worked fantastic. Reason i done that is Window 10 maybe using your old driver after you installed windows.
  • nrglg
    Wait; are you telling me that Windows 10 isn't being installed fresh but just being updated from a previous system?

If this is the case, I'd recommend finding all Windows 10 drivers and then removing all of your drivers completely and installing the Windows 10 ones. There is a real possibility that the drivers are incompatible and this is to be expected behavior. Although I'd be surprised if this was the case because MS can't be stupid enough to just allow upgrades even with incompatible drivers...could they?​​

• sylenthunder
    nrglg wrote: »
    Wait; are you telling me that Windows 10 isn't being installed fresh but just being updated from a previous system?

If this is the case, I'd recommend finding all Windows 10 drivers and then removing all of your drivers completely and installing the Windows 10 ones. There is a real possibility that the drivers are incompatible and this is to be expected behavior. Although I'd be surprised if this was the case because MS can't be stupid enough to just allow upgrades even with incompatible drivers...could they?

Even then you will still get the black/flickering screen because of how W10 handles DX9. It's a known issue, and the Windows team is still working on it. Even on a clean install with W10 drivers, it will happen with older DX9 games like this one.

Truly, you don't need DxWnd either. Just set the config for PW to run Windowed with the same resolution as fullscreen. If your taskbar is set to auto-hide, then it's going to run "fullscreen windowed" mode just fine. Looks and feels like fullscreen, but it's technically running in windowed mode. people with lower-end systems can actually benefit by increased alt-tab abilities running it this way as well.
    ​​

​​
  • nrglg
    edited July 2015
    Even then you will still get the black/flickering screen because of how W10 handles DX9. It's a known issue, and the Windows team is still working on it. Even on a clean install with W10 drivers, it will happen with older DX9 games like this one.
    Glad I'm staying away from 10 for the time being (and because I'm waiting for retail USB sticks). I have way too many older games that use DX7-9 and I'd rather have them on a system that I don't have to use DxWnd for them on.

Truly, you don't need DxWnd either. Just set the config for PW to run Windowed with the same resolution as fullscreen. If your taskbar is set to auto-hide, then it's going to run "fullscreen windowed" mode just fine. Looks and feels like fullscreen, but it's technically running in windowed mode. people with lower-end systems can actually benefit by increased alt-tab abilities running it this way as well.
    DxWnd isn't needed, but it is needed if you want it to feel like real fullscreen. The taskbar hider in it removes the ability to acidentally have it rise while the mouse is at the bottom of the screen. It will also give a fullscreen borderless mode which acts like fullscreen without being fullscreen. However, like I said above, you'd have to mess with it quite a bit probably before getting it just right. Especially mouse-to-screen position issues that can occur if everything isn't setup right. So it is not for those who have no idea what they're doing.

bacheera wrote: »
    imo they might as well fire this support crew, half isn't working and the other half seems to be sleeping. :(
    You know that the people helping in the technical support forum are not paid nor work at PWE. They are players like yourself.

As for everyone else, please note that Windows 10 is NOT out yet for retail. It won't be for another month. This means that a lot of people are not going to have it right now. So support for it will be lacking until it is in the mass market.​​

• sylenthunder
    Glad I'm staying away from 10 for the time being (and because I'm waiting for retail USB sticks). I have way too many older games that use DX7-9 and I'd rather have them on a system that I don't have to use DxWnd for them on.

DxWnd isn't needed, but it is needed if you want it to feel like real fullscreen. The taskbar hider in it removes the ability to acidentally have it rise while the mouse is at the bottom of the screen. It will also give a fullscreen borderless mode which acts like fullscreen without being fullscreen. However, like I said above, you'd have to mess with it quite a bit probably before getting it just right. Especially mouse-to-screen position issues that can occur if everything isn't setup right. So it is not for those who have no idea what they're doing.

bacheera wrote: »
    You know that the people helping in the technical support forum are not paid nor work at PWE. They are players like yourself.

As for everyone else, please note that Windows 10 is NOT out yet for retail. It won't be for another month. This means that a lot of people are not going to have it right now. So support for it will be lacking until it is in the mass market.
    Actually, even with older DX7-9 games, i have no issues. So far PWI is the only one that gives me trouble when doing it in fullscreen. (The others did have some issues when they broke DX9, but then that was resolved in build 10059.)

Also, Win10 is out for retail. You can get it on USB also, though last I checked, they were sold out already. It's $199 for Pro, and $119 for Home if I recall correctly. I was a bit surprised they weren't charging extra for the USB over the download. (Note: If you currently have Win7 or 8, you can upgrade for free.) I'm testing a PC with a standing upgrade of the retail version right now. I'll probably be doing a USB install from scratch in the next few days.​​

​​
  • nrglg
    edited July 2015
    Sorry, I meant that the USB retail ones are not out yet. They aren't sold out or anything like that, they simply haven't been released yet. Those aren't coming out until August 30th. I don't feel like paying for both Windows 10 and another USB to install it on so I'm waiting. I already have Windows Vista-8.1 on their own USBs and feel like this would be the best route. I also don't have any clients who have brought me a Win 10 machine to fix yet, so I figure I'm not in any rush.​​

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Sorry, I meant that the USB retail ones are not out yet. They aren't sold out or anything like that, they simply haven't been released yet. Those aren't coming out until August 30th. I don't feel like paying for both Windows 10 and another USB to install it on so I'm waiting. I already have Windows Vista-8.1 on their own USBs and feel like this would be the best route. I also don't have any clients who have brought me a Win 10 machine to fix yet, so I figure I'm not in any rush.

Why don't you just download the iso or create a usb stick installation of windows 10 if you had the update notification from windows 7/8/8.1?

Unless you didn't get that notification ofcourse​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• sylenthunder
    pfft, still no need to wait. get it here.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10​​

​​
  • dblazen1
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That's what i was hinting at, just didn't have the link near me tiger-50.gif

Knowing @nrglg paranoia about just text when it comes to security, I wonder how he feels about the privacy stuff MS did in windows 10​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• goblinweeaboo
    goblinweeaboo Posts: 2 Arc User
    I had similar problem... my screen was flickering like crazy, but I was fixed by changing the game to window mode.
    I hope it helped
  • workbish
    workbish Posts: 61 Arc User
    window mode doesn't resolve the problem because the CPU usage is really high.
    2 clients - both set in the middle of west archa:
    windows 10 - CPU usage over 40%
    windows 7 - CPU usage 3% (full screen mode)
    Let's face it - windows 10 doesn't like PWI :(
  • morphbahr
    morphbahr Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Is there a hot key to bring up the game settings when trapped in 'black screen'? Or a line command to be able to open in windowed mode? When opening PWI, all I have it the black screen and cursor, so am not able to change it into windowed mode from within the in game options that way.
    Thank you.

I just now noticed you can change it to windowed via the launcher screen, I beleive. :)
  • dblazen1
    morphbahr wrote: »
    Is there a hot key to bring up the game settings when trapped in 'black screen'? Or a line command to be able to open in windowed mode? When opening PWI, all I have it the black screen and cursor, so am not able to change it into windowed mode from within the in game options that way.
    Thank you.

When you launch the game from arc or by patcher, click on the graphics button on the bottom left.
    First option is windowed mode​​
    Jws3dXe.gif

• nrglg
    edited July 2015
    dblazen1 wrote: »
    Why don't you just download the iso or create a usb stick installation of windows 10 if you had the update notification from windows 7/8/8.1?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I have access to the Windows 10 files, don't get me wrong. I'm part of MSDN and have full access to the retail ISOs. I think you may have missed this bit...
    I don't feel like paying for both Windows 10 and another USB to install it on so I'm waiting. I already have Windows Vista-8.1 on their own USBs and feel like this would be the best route. I also don't have any clients who have brought me a Win 10 machine to fix yet, so I figure I'm not in any rush.

dblazen1 wrote: »
    Knowing @nrglg paranoia about just text when it comes to security, I wonder how he feels about the privacy stuff MS did in windows 10

Mostly fonts, but text as a side effect. Fonts have had a number of security holes in the last so many years that I've gotten a bit paranoid about them.

As far as the privacy **** MS was pulling in Windows 10, I obliterated it in the tech preview. I don't think I'm going to have any issues doing it to the full release. Search bar, gone. Cortana, gone. Online profile, faked it and removed it. That's just to name a few things. I take somewhere between an hour and a few hours to fully remove or block everything that I track sending or retrieving data without my permission. I'm a bit obsessed about having full control over my system. The only thing I can't prevent is any built-in backdoors that MS leaves in there for the NSA, unless there's custom patches for that. Whatever the case, they'll find nothing of use. I leave that on secured systems.
    workbish wrote: »
    window mode doesn't resolve the problem because the CPU usage is really high.
    2 clients - both set in the middle of west archa:
    windows 10 - CPU usage over 40%
    windows 7 - CPU usage 3% (full screen mode)
    Let's face it - windows 10 doesn't like PWI :(

Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date. That can definitely cause the issue you're describing because I've seen it on more than a few occasions although I'm not certain as to the reason why. Other causes could be a poor WoW64 implementation in Windows 10. Also whatever this DirectX 9 bug is, could definitely be the cause as well. This is not to say that these are the only causes so doing your own research would be a good idea.​​