windows 10 issue

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    workbish wrote: »
    window mode doesn't resolve the problem because the CPU usage is really high.
    2 clients - both set in the middle of west archa:
    windows 10 - CPU usage over 40%
    windows 7 - CPU usage 3% (full screen mode)
    Let's face it - windows 10 doesn't like PWI :(
    That's most likely because you didn't run it with admin creds and it's busy overloading your page file.

Also, CPU usage is not related to the screen flickering because of a DX9 issue.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    That's most likely because you didn't run it with admin creds and it's busy overloading your page file.
    Easily the strangest bug. Although, is it because of not running it with admin creds or is it because they don't have full control over the folder?
    Also, CPU usage is not related to the screen flickering because of a DX9 issue.
    I'll back this statement up by saying that screen flickering is a graphics driver issue nearly 100% of the time. On the other hand, if your screen goes full black (not from the game), it's a CPU overheating issue (90% of the time). Just in case either or these are occurring.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • sylenthunder
    nrglg wrote: »
    Easily the strangest bug. Although, is it because of not running it with admin creds or is it because they don't have full control over the folder?

In my testing I had full control of the folder. For some odd reason though, when you run the client without the admin cred option, it just keeps increasing the page file until it hits 64GB, then you get out-of-memory errors and the PC tends to crash. (page file has a max size... who knew? normal-47.gif)

Running it without admin credentials also produced some other strange issues, but I don't recall what they were off the top of my head. I'd have to go back to the conversations I had with the dev team on it.​​

​​
  • workbish
    workbish Posts: 61 Arc User
    dblazen1 wrote: »

Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date. That can definitely cause the issue you're describing because I've seen it on more than a few occasions although I'm not certain as to the reason why. Other causes could be a poor WoW64 implementation in Windows 10. Also whatever this DirectX 9 bug is, could definitely be the cause as well. This is not to say that these are the only causes so doing your own research would be a good idea.​​

I always update the BIOS or any drivers :) I think it must be caused by DirectX 9. I've noticed when on one of the clients i left archa and moved for example to etherblade the CPU usage went down from 24% to 7%... the hell? Setting client on lowest setting or highest didn't make any difference either (mantle plz!!!). Even tried to change settings in Nvidia panel control for atribute elementclient.exe (drivers for windows 10 ofc),.... nothing :(

Also, CPU usage is not related to the screen flickering because of a DX9 issue.​​

ran it with admin creds and then without admin creds - didn't make any different to me - and none of the file was growing up O.o
  • ellavo
    ellavo Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm having the same issue with windows 10, The black screen with only the pointer. Or the blinking screen like it has a strobe light. Tried un install and reinstall, didn't fix a thing.............. Game worked just fine with windows 8.1, But once I upgraded to windows 10 that's when the issue started :( And I really like windows 10
  • sylenthunder
    edited August 2015
    ellavo wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue with windows 10, The black screen with only the pointer. Or the blinking screen like it has a strobe light. Tried un install and reinstall, didn't fix a thing.............. Game worked just fine with windows 8.1, But once I upgraded to windows 10 that's when the issue started :( And I really like windows 10

If you read the thread.....

DO NOT USE FULL SCREEN MODE WITH WINDOWS 10
    I also explained how to run full screen windowed for the full screen effect.

I explained the Directx9/screen flicker issue a long time ago, and if anyone would search, they could find it.
    Here's the thread, and I updated it to include the issue with the page file bloat.
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/770419/windows-10-preview-compatibility-discussion
    ​​

​​
  • hacktrap
    hacktrap Posts: 3 New User
    I also have the flickering issue with the PWI client in full screen mode on Windows 10. I have Driver Manager installed on my system. A fresh scan showed that all drivers are up to date. This suggests that the problem is not a driver issue.

I suppose it is possible that Microsoft have broken something in Windows 10, but I have other games that work just fine in full screen mode. This indicates that the problem is caused by an issue in the PWI client that is now exposed by Windows 10.
  • shammyleather
    shammyleather Posts: 5 Arc User

I explained the Directx9/screen flicker issue a long time ago, and if anyone would search, they could find it.
    Here's the thread, and I updated it to include the issue with the page file bloat.
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/770419/windows-10-preview-compatibility-discussion
    ​​

Thanks syl this was most helpfull..... I have done everthing you said apart from the screen resolution as when i try to set this to the same as desktop i get the message that this must be set lower.... so although i can get into the game my beloved toon looks like something out of a lowry painting.... looks like this is the end of pwi for me until this gets sorted -(
  • palomafaith
    palomafaith Posts: 5 Arc User
    problem sorted :) .... gone back to w7.... they can keep w10
  • sylenthunder

Thanks syl this was most helpfull..... I have done everthing you said apart from the screen resolution as when i try to set this to the same as desktop i get the message that this must be set lower.... so although i can get into the game my beloved toon looks like something out of a lowry painting.... looks like this is the end of pwi for me until this gets sorted -(

I manually changed the setting inside the settings file.
    \element\userdata\systemsettings.ini
    RenderWid = 1920
    RenderHei = 1080
    FullScreen = 0
    ​​

​​
  • nrglg
    problem sorted :) .... gone back to w7.... they can keep w10

Good move.

Yesterday I tried Windows 10 in a virtual machine to just see the differences from the early tech preview I had gotten and I hated it. The interface is nearly as bad as Windows 8 in that it is clearly still touch screen obsessed and overall just looks bad (blocky things are not pretty). Not to mention some of the absurd steps I had to go through to disable the diagnostics tracking permanently as well as windows defender. Overall the system is a huge disappointment to me. It's best feature is its startup speed and that's it. Start10 solved the problem with the ugly looking start menu, but not enough to convince me to change. I also can't believe that they are still pushing the ribbon interface (with no choice to change it) that is disliked by so many. MS has now disappointed me through 2 major OS versions. That's not a good sign...​​

• stefen2u
    stefen2u Posts: 9 Arc User
    Got to laugh at all these...i got to have windows 10 and half of stuff out won't run on it and they are blaming the game.......blame Microsoft for putting out another **** operating system that still looks a lot like and operates like the fail 8-8.1...get a life you must haves..jokes on you
  • nrglg
    edited August 2015
    ...everyone here knows it's Windows 10; so what's with your comments?​​
    Post edited by nrglg on

• hacktrap
    edited August 2015
    > @nrglg said:
    > ...everyone here knows it's Windows 10; so what's with your comments?​​

If the problem lies solely with Windows 10, then why isn't it manifesting in any of the installed CD games I play?

Also, why does the problem only occure in full screen mode? What is the windowed mode doing different that it works?
  • nrglg
    hacktrap wrote: »
    If the problem lies solely with Windows 10, then why isn't it manifesting in any of the installed CD games I play?

Because not every game is affected. It's a Direct X 9 implementation bug in Windows 10. Windows Vista and 7 also had issues with various Direct X versions. Try running Diablo or The Sims/The Sims 2 on Vista or 7. Those freak out in fullscreen and windowed mode as well. DxWnd could alleviate and fix those issues most of the time.
    Also, why does the problem only occure in full screen mode? What is the windowed mode doing different that it works?

They are two different modes of operation. In Windowed mode the system has guaranteed refresh for screen sections that ask to be redrawn. The fullscreen mode refreshes the screen at the speed asked by the software running. Obviously there's some issue that is playing out where PW is unable to cause the window section to refresh for a new draw segment, so it just shows black. The flickering I'm not entirely sure about. Although it could be because PW is drawing to the front buffer and is having trouble flipping the back buffer to the front.

Again though, it's a Windows 10 bug with Direct X 9. I can't be sure of anything really. This is speculation based on my own experience from making games.​​

• sylenthunder
    Again though, it's a Windows 10 bug with Direct X 9. I can't be sure of anything really. This is speculation based on my own experience from making games.
    Around build 10130 is when they created the DX9 issue, and it's been stated in the dev notes that it's a known issue and they are still working to resolve it. They did resolve the issue for many other games with DX9, but PWI just seems to be a bit stubborn.

But think of this too, the game is 10 years older than the OS. You really can't honestly expect them to play nice, just like playing older dos games on Vista/7/8. Even using DosBox they can get a bit squirrely.
    ​​

​​
  • nrglg

@sylenthunder said:
    But think of this too, the game is 10 years older than the OS. You really can't honestly expect them to play nice, just like playing older dos games on Vista/7/8. Even using DosBox they can get a bit squirrely.

Which is why having the original DOS (or FreeDOS) on a virtual machine is the best way to play DOS games. Speaking of DOS, I've also setup overly complicated printer systems on virtual machines running DOS for a tax office using software they bought in the 80s only 6 months ago...​​

• hacktrap
    edited August 2015
    I understand that coding for Microsoft systems can be frustrating.

Many years ago I took a C programming subject. In it we discovered that a small icon could be drawn diretly to the screen, but anything large had to be passed through a StretchBlt() function, which we were told fooled the system into believing it was doing something else.

Having to rely on StretchBlt() to draw larger graphics was offensive to me, but the ones who passed the subject were those who used it.

Now, here we are where the PWI client has an issue that is uncommon to many other games that execute in full screen mode. Could the PWI developers find out what those other games are doing different, and copy them?

It may be that the solution is inelegant, but that there are other games that don't have the flickering problem is evidence that a solution does exist, however offensive it may be.

The alternative is to sit on their hands blaming Microsoft, while players who become fed up with PWI's Windows 10 technical issues migrate to a game that works.
    Post edited by hacktrap on
  • sylenthunder
    I understand that coding for Microsoft systems can be frustrating.

Many years ago I took a C programming subject. In it we discovered that a small icon could be drawn diretly to the screen, but anything large had to be passed through a StretchBlt() function, which we were told fooled the system into believing it was doing something else.

Having to rely on StretchBlt() to draw larger graphics was offensive to me, but the ones who passed the subject were those who used it.

Now, here we are where the PWI client has an issue that is uncommon to many other games that execute in full screen mode. Could the PWI developers find out what those other games are doing different, and copy them?

It may be that the solution is inelegant, but that there are other games that don't have the flickering problem is evidence that a solution does exist, however offensive it may be.

The alternative is to sit on their hands blaming Microsoft, while players who become fed up with PWI's Windows 10 technical issues migrate to a game that works.
    It's odd though, because other games that run off the same Angelica engine as PWI, dont' have the issue. So it's got to have something to do with how PWI is drawing the data on the screen. I keep meaning to tinker around with the code some to try to find out, but it gets pushed behind so many other projects.
    That, and since fullscreen windowed works swimmingly, and even improves PWI's alt-tab capabilities, I haven't really had a strong desire to mess around with it.
    ​​

​​
  • capbrit
    capbrit Posts: 7 Arc User
    So I just went and upgraded my laptop to windows 10. Now I always run in windowed mode, so the flickering issue is not something I have encountered. But what I have now encountered I have no idea how to fix.

I can not click on any items or skills while i am moving. Not even my genie skills. I have changed the settings for the client and arc to always run as admin, and I have also put them in compatibility mode for windows 7. I am currently at a loss as to what else I can do. I can always restore my laptop back to factory settings and just reinstall windows 7. But I would like to steer clear of that if possible. Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue, but if anyone has anything that might help. I am all open.
    iggy15.jpg
  • sylenthunder
    capbrit wrote: »
    So I just went and upgraded my laptop to windows 10. Now I always run in windowed mode, so the flickering issue is not something I have encountered. But what I have now encountered I have no idea how to fix.

I can not click on any items or skills while i am moving. Not even my genie skills. I have changed the settings for the client and arc to always run as admin, and I have also put them in compatibility mode for windows 7. I am currently at a loss as to what else I can do. I can always restore my laptop back to factory settings and just reinstall windows 7. But I would like to steer clear of that if possible. Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue, but if anyone has anything that might help. I am all open.

My first thought on this is a pointer tracking issue. I've seen it happen in other games from the Windows App Store. Although, the solution to fix it in the others is to switch the app to fullscreen, which doesn't work for PWI. normal-7.gif

Give it a shot in the windowed fullscreen and see if that resolves the tracking issue.​​

​​
  • capbrit
    capbrit Posts: 7 Arc User
    capbrit wrote: »

My first thought on this is a pointer tracking issue. I've seen it happen in other games from the Windows App Store. Although, the solution to fix it in the others is to switch the app to fullscreen, which doesn't work for PWI. normal-7.gif

Give it a shot in the windowed fullscreen and see if that resolves the tracking issue.​​

Im going to assume you mean changing the res to make it look like its fullscreen correct? If that is the case, I did just now try that, and still cannot click anything while moving. When I stop moving, I need to wait about 2 seconds for my toon to completely be still and then I can click on whatever it is I want to.
    iggy15.jpg
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    tiger-18.gif reverted back to win7 as well, as nrglg said, too many steps to disable things and by default you have too little control over things, or you have to do absurd things to gain control over it.

I might reconsider going back once it's proven that DX12 is a real improvement and when (and if) games are going to actually use it.
    Also only after either MS updating their stuff that it gives the user back more control and doesn't track as much by default as they do now OR when tweaking tools are available for it.

I'm too lazy to do it all myself since i'm happy with win7 and there's nothing at this point that keeps me using win10

tl;dr: there's nothing of value lost if you don't use windows 10 and just use windows 7​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• drmotts
    drmotts Posts: 5 Arc User
    so after rearding over 2 pages of a bunch of unhelpful info, has anyone come up with a solution to running in full screen? I have read use the fake full screen option. ive tried it and i dont like the way it looks. its not the same.
  • sylenthunder
    drmotts wrote: »
    so after rearding over 2 pages of a bunch of unhelpful info, has anyone come up with a solution to running in full screen? I have read use the fake full screen option. ive tried it and i dont like the way it looks. its not the same.

Then you're doing something wrong. If done correctly, it looks exactly the same as full screen mode,​​

​​
  • rawynn
    rawynn Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    silly question , aren't there other higher versions of direct x? other than 9? lol...nvm the first part found 11 and 12; so is pwi just not compatible with those?
    7GNOisE.gif?1
  • sylenthunder
    rawynn wrote: »
    silly question , aren't there other higher versions of direct x? other than 9? lol...nvm the first part found 11 and 12; so is pwi just not compatible with those?

It was only a couple years ago they updated PWI to 9.0c. The client engine is archaic, and you can't code it for the newer versions. Hell, it still doesn't support multi-core CPU's.​​

​​
  • nrglg
    edited August 2015
    rawynn wrote: »
    Direct X is a graphics API. Programs use those graphics APIs to load and render objects and textures, among other things. You can't just swap out one version for another sadly. It does require some amount of programming to program it in a compatible way with a newer API version. Nowadays a lot of games are written to go through the Direct X 9, Direct X 11, and OpenGL APIs based on what the user has and chooses.

drmotts wrote: »
    DxWnd can and will solve this issue. You however, will have to figure out the settings which can be very tricky.​​

• samcam
    samcam Posts: 1 Arc User
    guess i'll be offline til this is fixed or find a new game to play...
  • lastand0
    lastand0 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Woot! had a bath and tried it with fresh eyes lol now it works, think I was trying it for too long ^^

On a lighter note, whats the script for your signature pics? I trid using the openscript from my Faction forum but no dice...
    Post edited by lastand0 on
    "In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludeonings of chance, my head is bloody but unbowed”