Duskblade holding agro

Elstraya - Heavens Tear
Elstraya - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Duskblade
Hello fellow Duskblades...

I know Duskblades are not really a tanky class but I am looking for tips on how to hold agro from other classes.

My duskblade is just lvl 87..low, I know, since he is an alt that I do not play too often.
His skills are pretty much max for that level and he is wearing Quicksand Maze 85 gear.

My problem is that even with alpha male genie skill he cannot hold agro on a group of mobs even from much lower level players.

This is very visible when I run PV with my stormbringer friend...my duskblade will run ahead and grab a bunch of mobs and aoe em and use alpha male. But stormbringer in squad will then attack same mobs and they willl all go running off to her...usually ending up with her dead since she has less HP etc.

Maybe I just shouldn't even expect a duskblade to be able to hold agro...are they really just DD or can they tank at all?

Opinions welcome
Post edited by Elstraya - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• tek1nig
    tek1nig Posts: 793 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello fellow Duskblades...

I know Duskblades are not really a tanky class but I am looking for tips on how to hold agro from other classes.

My duskblade is just lvl 87..low, I know, since he is an alt that I do not play too often.
    His skills are pretty much max for that level and he is wearing Quicksand Maze 85 gear.

My problem is that even with alpha male genie skill he cannot hold agro on a group of mobs even from much lower level players.

This is very visible when I run PV with my stormbringer friend...my duskblade will run ahead and grab a bunch of mobs and aoe em and use alpha male. But stormbringer in squad will then attack same mobs and they willl all go running off to her...usually ending up with her dead since she has less HP etc.

Maybe I just shouldn't even expect a duskblade to be able to hold agro...are they really just DD or can they tank at all?

Opinions welcome

Hi ! Well I'd like to comment on keeping agro. In single boss combat you can use your copy skill reflection of the moon to deal 3x the damage on bosses to keep agro. I'd suggest doing this after you spark / debuff for maximum effect then going into reaper form to continue a constant galemark combo.

I'm sure at some point there will be a re-translation for the stormbringer skills but as it stands now. It is proven and seen wide and far that many stormbringer skills have a guaranteed agro. You can deal all the DD in the world stop DDing and let the stormbringer cast 1 skill and it will have instant agro. I'm not sure if this was intended but many of their skills agitate mobs in an AOE like style. So if I were you, take a moment and sit down with a stormbringer on a boss for testing to see which skills steal agro. This way you can better coordinate your PV's and don't get eachother killed ;/ !
    VWjvQZ8.jpg
    Assassin - SyntherosX - 105, 105, 105 Calc : https://mypers.pw/13/#654396
    Loyal Perfect World Player 9 Year Vet.
    Youtube&LiveStream @ OROCx24

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    You're doing it in the wrong order. Alpha male first if you have to use it (it's honestly an incredibly weak way to get aggro and can't hold it very well so people use it for bramble more than the aggro) and then deal your damage. After sparking. Arcane classes typically have much higher DPH than melee and LA classes, so an arcane taking aggro from you in an AoE oriented area isn't that much of a surprise.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    OPKossy wrote: »
    You're doing it in the wrong order. Alpha male first if you have to use it (it's honestly an incredibly weak way to get aggro and can't hold it very well so people use it for bramble more than the aggro) and then deal your damage. After sparking. Arcane classes typically have much higher DPH than melee and LA classes, so an arcane taking aggro from you in an AoE oriented area isn't that much of a surprise.

^ This, saving alpha male for when they pull aggro, would help the duskblade/sb a bit.

Only time I would use alpha male before a pull is if we were zhenning, and I needed to run out (and alpha male as I was outside the safety of bb, etc, and then come back to the safety of a bb/the dd's, but yea aggro is generally lost as soon as someone hits the mobs. (I would do this regardless of how well the dds could live, would much rather a DD die than the cleric.)

Sometimes you just need to judge who you'd rather let die if they do grab aggro if your pulling.

Before using any skill you really should think about the situation and exact timing of a skill to get its full effectiveness out especially for pulling/doing something on a char that's not really meant to do it in the first place.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)