PWI Forums Migration Discussion

124»

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Just lemme have some popcorn while I watch the shennanigans.

A bit sad that we have better knowledge of most of these things than they do. Oh well, they kinda sorta earned that for creating a forum that uses HTML and letting people have free reign with it. Because on of the perks to BBCode is it heavily restricts what the knowledgeable can do whereas with HTML if you personally don't know it well good luck stopping others who do!
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    To be fair, I'm abusing it to prove a point. Without that, they might not believe that someone could do what is being done. Think of it as committing evil for the greater good. You know, that kind of stuff. That and I'm having a tremendous amount of fun messing with it.

People get paid for that you know. b:victory

(Also, I didn't see what happened...)
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not that it will matter in the long run...since the forums will go poof..but for the time being this really should be a sticky....this is serious news and everyone should see it first thing.
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • ggalacticparadox
    ggalacticparadox Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not that it will matter in the long run...since the forums will go poof..but for the time being this really should be a sticky....this is serious news and everyone should see it first thing.

One would think that PWE/ARC would have officially mentioned this anywhere, minus the one post on ARC's main news page... But nope! Why would they do that?
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I host a mirror of PWI forums here: pwi-forum.gdevtalk.net
    I host a WIP PW-Wiki here: wiki.gdevtalk.net
    Beta player
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To be fair, I'm abusing it to prove a point. Without that, they might not believe that someone could do what is being done. Think of it as committing evil for the greater good. You know, that kind of stuff. That and I'm having a tremendous amount of fun messing with it.
    Man don't force them to fix it. I want to amuse myself with decorating the page with various cartoon characters while putting mustaches over everyone's avatars.
    Broken forums are better than sanitized forums.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Oh, oh, can you teach me as moronically as possible how to change my name over there, I'm uncomfortable with my forum name being the same as my account one. Also, it sucks, I made it because the one I wanted was taken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm gonna lose all my precious pm from Kossy. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • krisnda
    edited April 2015

592 pm's, gone.

(I'm still lost as to what's happening to the new forums)
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Man don't force them to fix it. I want to amuse myself with decorating the page with various cartoon characters while putting mustaches over everyone's avatars.
    Broken forums are better than sanitized forums.

But I want them to fix it. b:surrender

Also, sanitized forums mean no XSS vulnerabilities, which I would appreciate. I'd rather not carelessly click on something that was overridden with malicious intent.
    Oh, oh, can you teach me as moronically as possible how to change my name over there, I'm uncomfortable with my forum name being the same as my account one. Also, it sucks, I made it because the one I wanted was taken.

You can do what I did. Just go to your signature editor on that forum. Change the editing mode by clicking the "</>" button. Then paste this in. Change whatever you want in it. The more the merrier so that they can see there is a problem.

[HTML]<div style="position:absolute;top:10px;left:95px;background-color:#282D37;width:500px;height:20px;z-index:99999;"><a rel="nofollow" href="#" style="font-size:15px;font-weight:bold;" class="Username">Insert Name Here</a>
    <span class="AuthorInfo"><span class="MItem PostCount">Posts: <b>999,999,999,999</b></span><span class="MItem RoleTitle">Insert Title Here</span></span>
    </div>[/HTML]
    Krisnda wrote: »

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/7895/testing
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • opkossy
    edited April 2015
    *patpat*
    592 pm's, gone.

I had to keep cleaning out my inbox because it kept getting full. b:surrender

Long story short, Kris, people can modify the pages themselves in whatever manner they want because you can literally put web code in your posts. So if someone wanted to, they could... well... as Ast said put mustaches on everyone's avatars or the like.

Also, sanitized forums mean no XSS vulnerabilities, which I would appreciate. I'd rather not carelessly click on something that was overridden with malicious intent.
    +1 this.

The fact that the knowledgeable can so easily abuse this maliciously if they so desire does not leave me very confident about that place. If they carry the mods over, it'd make things even more difficult because we wouldn't know for sure what is and isn't malicious without easily **** ourselves over. At least here I can just hit the edit button on someone's post and see exactly what they're doing. Over there, they could potentially hide that ability or replace it with something that nobody would want.

Sucks for the staff, though. I'll say that much.

Edit: Heck, you don't even need to be that knowledgeable as long as you can google whatever you want to do. And that makes that forum truly a place to avoid for those who know what the vulnerabilities mean.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited April 2015

You can do what I did. Just go to your signature editor on that forum. Change the editing mode by clicking the "</>" button. Then paste this in. Change whatever you want in it. The more the merrier so that they can see there is a problem.

[HTML]<div style="position:absolute;top:10px;left:95px;background-color:#282D37;width:500px;height:20px;z-index:99999;"><a rel="nofollow" href="#" style="font-size:15px;font-weight:bold;" class="Username">Insert Name Here</a>
    <span class="AuthorInfo"><span class="MItem PostCount">Posts: <b>999,999,999,999</b></span><span class="MItem RoleTitle">Insert Title Here</span></span>
    </div>[/HTML]

Thanks for the code! b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    edited April 2015
    I see... That's really funny actually. My PM box has actually never gotten full lol.b:chuckle
  • Doom_Panda - Harshlands
    Doom_Panda - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited April 2015

</div>[/HTML]

Thanks for that lol.
    Mains:
    Doom_Panda- 102/101/102 R9 3rd cast Demon Barb 40k HP.
    Dawnx - 100/85 Demon Cleric.
    PsychicTuna- 101/100 Sage Psychic.
    DawnMyst- 96 Demon Mystic.

PANDAS FTW. AND I b:heart ARMA! b:avoid
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2015
    I see... That's really funny actually. My PM box has actually never gotten full lol.b:chuckle

I have to clean mine up every few weeks or it hits the limit.

On the testing thread, be sure to turn down the volume a bit before quoting Sailor Moon. b:pleased

It's too bad they don't allow animated gif's for the avatars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    What do you mean Sylen? You can use an animated gif. Look at my avatar. I wrote div tags on top of the default avatar handler. You can copy from that and switch it out with a gif. b:laugh
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2015
    What do you mean Sylen? You can use an animated gif. Look at my avatar. I wrote div tags on top of the default avatar handler. You can copy from that and switch it out with a gif. b:laugh

Well, yeah, I meant using the standard model b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    My mirror completed at 6.5GB. However, I'm going to update the mirror right now so that it captures everything from today. It shouldn't inflate too much more.

I'm surprised by the small size. My calculations were way off.

Edit: As a note, the program told me it had saved 10GB. So it's not my fault it ended up smaller. The program is lying to me.

• ggalacticparadox
    ggalacticparadox Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My mirror completed at 6.5GB. However, I'm going to update the mirror right now so that it captures everything from today. It shouldn't inflate too much more.

I'm surprised by the small size. My calculations were way off.

Edit: As a note, the program told me it had saved 10GB. So it's not my fault it ended up smaller. The program is lying to me.

Mine also finished. I'll post a mirror later tonight.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I host a mirror of PWI forums here: pwi-forum.gdevtalk.net
    I host a WIP PW-Wiki here: wiki.gdevtalk.net
    Beta player
  • opkossy
    edited April 2015
    Good news and bad news, folks.

I've spoken with strumslinger and he's said he'll see what he can do about Sweetiebot for us. It's not a definitive yes, but better than not having any acknowledgement at all. He's also stated that we'll definitely have our posts migrated and the mods will keep their mod abilities (I know I know. Those who don't like us think this part is bad news :P )

The bad news, however, is that the issues raised in this thread are still issues. No BBCode, the freely abusable HTML, various things that make it rather user unfriendly, and so on. Even if every post gets migrated to over there, the lack of BBCode will break basically all of the important ones. Also, I'm still fairly certain that post counts won't be restored as most of us use custom forum accounts (liable to breaking, yes, but custom nonetheless) which would make it far more difficult to do such a thing than if we were all stuck on default ones.
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2015
    Mine also finished. I'll post a mirror later tonight.

And I'll play the wait and see game. If the migration fails my expectations, I will upload a rar/zip/7z (whichever is smaller of it), so that people can download the archive locally.

-- OPKossy News
    The news about you and the rest of the mods staying is nice news. The second half is very disappointing.

• opkossy
    edited April 2015
    Yeah. It seems PWI has the largest amount of technologically capable people as well as our best ones, so I suppose it makes sense that since they've been running the vanillaforums, it didn't actually get tested the way it's been once we were forced to move there.

At least now there's a chance they'll be aware though and hopefully that means things will be fixed. Still totally and completely agree with having backups. I may want to have faith, but they don't have the best sort of history and better to be safe than to lose everything for hope.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2015
    Gonna close this thread, and direct further discussion to the official sticky:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1754931
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

This discussion has been closed.