What's up with the level 1 bot clerics flying around Arch?

2»

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    I don't care if the Pope himself
    Stopped reading here because I was recently seeing some Batman related stuff and all I could think of at that point was the quote, "To the Popemobile, Robin!".

Thank goodness I wasn't around people because this had me cracking up way more than I should have been.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • rtmira
    rtmira Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For now I only noticed 2 bots on RT server. The one at west city started just after maintenance. It's odd to just collect catshop-prices since most prices are too high anyway. On youtube I've seen a video of how the bot moves. Someone made an faction event (follow the bot) just to check how the bot in west was flying/moving. Bot just follows a script.

I don't really care about the bots but the only thing to stop them - maybe for a day lol - is just to move all catshops to another city like Plume or Etherblade. Only problem: not much people visit those places. Also, we could always raise prices like selling "element dust" for 100kk. b:laugh

• Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    -snip-

Personally I couldn't care less about these bots. They aren't doing anything considered game changing. PWI has other issues more severe than this to address.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Note to self: Next time don't stop reading at the funny part.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    NRGLG - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Awe, you removed my message of peace and understanding. At least some of it should have stayed. b:surrender
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited May 2015

There's nothing wrong with 3rd party websites. I assume you don't have to stick in your login info to get said information from the site. So what harm is there really? (none)

While I do agree that third party websites aren't always out there to get you, I am surprised you would say something like that.

You can indeed get malware/unwanted programs/scripts running on your pc, just by downloading a picture/c9ontent from any website out there. Sure its far easier from a coding point of view to just phish/record info from people doing something that they shouldn't, and entering their info on a third party website, but still it is doable to get other's information just by visiting a malicious third party website, specifically one's whose aim is to gather information from it's users.

Though yea as i am sure you already know/just too reiterate, not all websites are bad... (whether or not they are third party is a bit beside the point, as even trusted websites can sometimes become compromised, however that is far less likely) ..., but we are visiting at our own risk, if its not a website made by pwi/pwe/the game maker of the current game we're playing. (Speaking generally of course, not just pwi.)

Really I can't see their being much of a black market demand for pwi items, so I rather doubt that anyone would really want to do said attack on pwi/pwe, but then again you never know.

Though really if there is a doubt, do some searching via google/bing and see if a website is deemed safe to visit by others.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    You can indeed get malware/unwanted programs/scripts running on your pc, just by downloading a picture/c9ontent from any website out there.

No you can't. Downloading something will not do anything. You can only get issues from being an ignorant user. I haven't had a virus on my computer, ever. To not get one you just need to have all plugins disabled while viewing anything and use up-to-date browsers for your own safety. Also don't install/use anything you didn't purposefully download. Also, I'm afraid downloading a picture will not hurt you. Even if the picture is a zip file and even if the file was an exe disguised. The only exception is if you have software that is vulnerable to an obscure form of attack, otherwise it's not unsafe.

Do you want to know how I would know this? I was a security researcher previously. You want to know how people got infected most of the time? They were ignorant, plain and simple. They saw something stupid like some advertisement for a emoticon set. Would follow it and download it. Then would install it along with some "friends." I'm not joking. This was ridiculously common. They'd do the same stupid thing and follow e-mail links to downloads too. I mean, it was all just ignorance.

Stick with the suggestions and precautions above, along with a semi-decent anti-virus, and you should stay clean. Also be wary of any "download" sites. Seriously. So much **** has been passed around because of those.
    Sure its far easier from a coding point of view to just phish/record info from people doing something that they shouldn't, and entering their info on a third party website, but still it is doable to get other's information just by visiting a malicious third party website, specifically one's whose aim is to gather information from it's users.

That's the most they can do, is gather information about your connection, which is what all websites can do. Guess what, Google, oh yeah, especially them, they do this so much that they setup a system they call Google Analytics. That way they could use all of this information tracking for the benefits of individuals and companies. Look on the source of this page, it's right at the bottom, Analytics is watching and learning about you. If anything you shouldn't be worried about some small fry, I'd be more worried about Google. The amount of data they are collecting and using should be considered dangerous. Especially if they are ever broken in to. That's where real worry should be.
    Though really if there is a doubt, do some searching via google/bing and see if a website is deemed safe to visit by others.

No (also lol at Bing). Never trust other ignorant people because that helps no one. It's like a bunch of blind people trying to give another blind person directions to town. Everyone that knows how to safely go around the web will not be the ones to say a site is safe or not, because they don't typically pay attention to this kind of stuff. Similarly ignorant, they feel like people are viewing the web like themselves. As an example, just look at my own behavior about it. I assume people are viewing in the confines of safety, so of course I would say that there should be no problem visiting 3rd party places.

To summarize: Google bad. Bing is still a joke. Disable plugins. Get anti-virus. Don't click on an exe (or msi and dmg) file if you don't know what it is. Many users are ignorant of internet safety.

-snap crackle pop-
    Kernal32.dll error? Get Arc XP for PWI because PWE Derpped -->http://www.nrgs.org/dev/arcxp/ArcXP.zip<-- (Don't select the arrows!)

Forums. Where opinion is truth, truth are facts, facts are wrong, and wrong is an opinion.

My site: >http://nrgs.org&lt; | Free and open source tools and utilities developed by me
  • Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2015
    *snip to shorten*-

You are right the chances are insanely slim but even slim chances aren't exactly 'none', your also correct about people being ignorant 'most' of the time.

Your also right about google/bing searching for whether or not a website is safe, obviously that isn't going to catch it every-time before heading to a website, but it is better than just going in blindly and trusting that a website is free of malicious items.

Google/Bing is just like any antivirus/(anti) malware/spyware (anti) program, as I am sure you are well aware just one of them isn't going to catch everything that means harm to you/your computer though they do tend to catch a lion's share of them, and having them is much better than not having anything at all. (Though you do indeed get what you pay for, a lot of free programs are a little lazy about keeping their databases up to date/lack the funds etc.) Anti-malware malwarebytes ftw!

I consider myself pretty computer savy, though obviously not on the caliber of you/Asterelle/SylenThunder etc.

Though I must admit I didn't know about the disabling plugins bit... though I must say that seems a bit impractical/like its asking too much of most average users. - Though really come to think of it... it really makes sense.

-

Edit: For the record I read your entire post, I am rather interested in security myself... as matter of fact i'm taking online classes for it... which have unfortunately stalled for the time being... those classes online can be insanely draining.

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • NRGLG - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2015
    Edit: For the record I read your entire post, I am rather interested in security myself... as matter of fact i'm taking online classes for it... which have unfortunately stalled for the time being... those classes online can be insanely draining.

If you think mere classes are draining, you will probably never make it. I quit it because of the insane stress of the work. I mean, I enjoy security and breaking malware down, but it's a lot of work. It requires serious patience and you really, really, need to know everything new. It was just a little too much for someone like myself who is very relaxed normally. It's a great job if you enjoy being on top of the new and communicating your findings with others. Otherwise, nah.

Edit: I should note for anyone else reading, that the job security researcher is broad. It comes in various forms. I specifically analysed malware, as I was a software engineer as well. Some security researchers do network security research. Others probe and do code audits. I did code audits on the side, but it was never my job. Regardless, I did not do the job for that long.
    her day's going fine. >:S Also, I'm also watching. And I see everything. EVERYTHING!

Honestly didn't expect that. b:chuckle

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2015
    If you think mere classes are draining, you will probably never make it. I quit it because of the insane stress of the work. I mean, I enjoy security and breaking malware down, but it's a lot of work. It requires serious patience and you really, really, need to know everything new. It was just a little too much for someone like myself who is very relaxed normally. It's a great job if you enjoy being on top of the new and communicating your findings with others. Otherwise, nah.

Honestly didn't expect that. b:chuckle

O_o That is nice to know, Thanks for the enlightenment.

I have quite a bit of patience as well, I will likely continue through the classes, maybe it was a fluke/cramming in one day that had me feeling drained/made me shy away from further classes for the time being.

Anyways thanks again.

• XXxICExXx - Morai
    XXxICExXx - Morai Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    -snip-

They are indeed, i repair pc's for a company in the UK and we see at least 4 or 5 ppl daily with a raft of malware, usually gotten because they googled "chrome" or googled "itunes" or some other free **** software. People fail to read just blindly clicking NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, NEXT. In the past month i've had the same customer come back 3x with the same issue (his wife was at work each time it happened so i suspect a secret **** viewer b:chuckle )

I had a customer switch on his pc and open up google, then he typed "yahoo" im like "what you doing" he said "im going to yahoo, my search page" when i asked him why has said it was how he had always done it. He couldnt quite get he was using a search engine to find a search engine. I offered to change his home page to yahoo (god knows why, i didnt know anyone used it anymore) but he refused, said it would only confuse him as he was used to doing it this way b:shutup

Ive always maintained the use of computers has grown massively but the knowledge in their use hasn't. Some people should genuinely return them back to whence they bought them for their own safety. I've used PCs for 29 years and like yourself never had a virus
  • Burnificator - Archosaur
    Burnificator - Archosaur Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No you can't. Downloading something will not do anything. You can only get issues from being an ignorant user. I haven't had a virus on my computer, ever. To not get one you just
    ---snip all the uwotm8 stuff---
    Remember Smiley Central?

As for on topic, I think I know what website is being talked about. Yes, it's in Russian, but it shares item IDs with pwdatabase so you can just search up the needed item there and paste the numbers after "items/" into the URL there (for instance, tokens are 24721).

I don't see any harm in it, quite the contrary, this helps a lot with things like TT mats so you don't have to search manually through over 9000 shops in Lagosaur. Public knowledge of it will probably result in a more fair market as players will be clearly seeing who is under/overpricing items just to hope some noob gets it from their shop, so pricing would even out like token prices are now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wizards - the only pyromaniac class.
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yea... 'Though navigating through a russian site is less then optimal for a dutchie like me. Google translate works only before logging in b:surrender
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Burnificator - Archosaur
    Burnificator - Archosaur Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yea... 'Though navigating through a russian site is less then optimal for a dutchie like me. Google translate works only before logging in b:surrender

Pfft whatcha need the Russian for? Item names don't match PWI even translated (but pwdb can help), and most of the interface is numbers and shop names. I can understand some Russian but my wife can't, we both use it occasionally without any problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wizards - the only pyromaniac class.
  • cira1818
    cira1818 Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am not sure if anyone else noticed, but in the Heavens Tear server, but now there is like 3 bots that fly an the same face and everything like 7 or 8 stores b:surrender doesn't seem right
    1421836914pizapw1434850700.jpg
    Like the Foxes? ake one here at the link, all credits to the maker of this fun game!
    http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fox-Creator-1-2-491912551
  • darkmourn
    darkmourn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've already reported the Jolly Jones bots and the bots flying around Archosaur. It's obvious that PWI is going to do nothing about these, as I have sent in proof (videos/screenshots), and the same bots are still going. If PWI really cared about its customers, then they would send in GMs to at least investigate. All this tells me is that this type of botting is illegal, but there are zero consequences to using these bots. If there are no consequences, then expect to see even more in the future.