About charms . . .

orangeladey
orangeladey Posts: 130 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
Bleh, I feel kind of petty for posting this but kinda need a moment to not feel so odd ball out, hopefullly.

Just I got another charm out of my lucidsilver chest.

And there is nothing wrong with that, heck selling it to an NPC earns probably as much for me as killing 3-5 mobs of my level.

But I find charms soooo frustrating.

I mean as an archer (my main, and only really played) I feel like I should kill the mobs befpre they get into range to hurt me. And that likely if they do get into that range, I should only get minimally hurt. As for magic, generally rate of fire does better damage than any spell can compensate for.

I just find that when Charms 'tick' seems so bloody inconvenient to me. (Of course part of the idea is so that they get used up and buy more, but still-)

Part of me sees charms as a back up. Something to hav in wait while the timer on my pots resets. And when I think they'd be useful - going up against elite/boss mobs, I'm such a lousy player they practically tick and then I'm dead - so that tick is completely wasted, and now the charms tick again to fill up my whole hp/mp when I'd rather have a moment to breathe after just getting my pants kicked while normal regen is in play.

I'm sure that most of you like charms just fine, but does anyone feel any of the same irritation I do? Even if only once in a while?
♪ "Once I thought the World was made for me"
♫ "Once I thought experience was Free"
♪ "Never knew you had to pay the Price"
♫ "Then I found you sometimes pay it Twice!"
--The Fraggles of Fraggle Rock
Post edited by orangeladey on

Comments

• xxxxjayxxxx
    xxxxjayxxxx Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I just find that when Charms 'tick' seems so bloody inconvenient to me. (Of course part of the idea is so that they get used up and buy more, but still-)

+100000000000000000000000

I literally know the exact feeling. ill be in TT and the boss will hit me with a magic attack for lets say 6k, and my total hp is lets say 11k. Now thats just over half so a charm would tick, but i would gain all the hp back from bp before the boss would even attack again. Feels like a wasted charm tick b:cry

I would love it if we could set the % that a charm ticks like we could do with the auto pot stone, but alas, i doubt that would ever happen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Trollguard - Sanctuary
    Trollguard - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    .. You could just get more HP..
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, I kinda agree on the ticking thing.
    The only time I have a hp charm on is during NW and if haven't used it all up in there, and I gave my seeker a mp charm a few times when he was a little guy fccing his way up to 100.
    Auto-pot is much nicer since you can pick when you chug a pot, usually I have mine set at 40% hp and 20% mana, and most of the time I'm not doing stuff that really makes me worry about the hp bar enough to need a charm. Maybe if I was soloing tt 3-3 or full delta, but then I'd be a crazy person >.>
    Practically though I think that's what charms are mostly for, if you're soloing things that could hurt a lot, or pvp. Plus the more hp you have, the more value you get out of it; if 2 hits wastes a tick and = death either way, paying for charms is not worth the money. Free ones just hang around in the bank and at least you don't need to feel bad about wasting money on it XD
  • toraah
    toraah Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would love to see a feature that lets you activate or deactivate charms when needed.
  • Molniya - Dreamweaver
    Molniya - Dreamweaver Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I would kill for the ability to either activate/deactivate charms at will, or set their tick percentage. HP charms tend to work fine for me as a Cleric, since I'm mostly restoring my heal via IH anyway, but mana charms are just irritating. They go off at less than 75% remaining. What is the point of that? If I have that much mana left, I'd like to actually use it before the charm ticks, especially against a mob that doesn't need that many hits to kill, after which I can just meditate the mana back. The only time a mana charm really comes in handy is when I'm sitting in BB for long periods of time (hi Delta how are you).

They're handy to have, but they're not set up in the most useful way.
  • Ostara - Lost City
    Ostara - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would love the changes but you know..everything is about money so the more it ticks the faster you have to buy a new one. The option to change the percentages would be amazing.
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I haven't had to buy on in a few years actually.Got plenty from the the free event gold I also use pots along with my charm at times even with my mp charm.

Play smarter not harder.

Get buffs,more hp,+your gear,etc etc.

But a charm is there for the tick on hard times so stop complaining and take your ticks like a man!b:angry
  • orangeladey
    orangeladey Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +100000000000000000000000

I literally know the exact feeling. ill be in TT and the boss will hit me with a magic attack for lets say 6k, and my total hp is lets say 11k. Now thats just over half so a charm would tick, but i would gain all the hp back from bp before the boss would even attack again. Feels like a wasted charm tick b:cry

I would love it if we could set the % that a charm ticks like we could do with the auto pot stone, but alas, i doubt that would ever happen.

Le sigh, that's what I get for keeping myself an under l80 Archer, I don't even have 3k hp (I've mentioned I'm a poor player yesNo?)
    I would love the changes but you know..everything is about money so the more it ticks the faster you have to buy a new one. The option to change the percentages would be amazing.

Agreed that it would definitely be nice, but can't see them ever doing so. Actually I think the mentioned auto-pot store item is the response to the idea of changing the charms >.<

Hmmmm, think we might persuade the devs to make an damage absorbtion charm? I could see it absorbing up to a threshold's worth of damage from a single hit, then tick, subtract the amount of damage taken from whats on the charm - preventing gear deterioration for that hit, yeah you'd get hit during cool down, but it would be an extra hit you 'aren't' taking. A miss on their part should not tick the charm. As an archer I'd find this incredibly useful.
    I haven't had to buy on in a few years actually.Got plenty from the the free event gold I also use pots along with my charm at times even with my mp charm.

Play smarter not harder.

Get buffs,more hp,+your gear,etc etc.

But a charm is there for the tick on hard times so stop complaining and take your ticks like a man!b:angry

Bu-buh-but I'm a giiiiiiirlb:cry
    b:laugh Seriously I'm all about the smarter, but I am a horrible cheapskate, and a horrible player (I only blame my system's lag for about 1/3 of my poor playing ^_- ) I don't shard my gear, my only buffs are blazing arrow, wings of protection and if you count winged shell, that too.

Getting more HP . . . other than shards on everything, I can't find gear with enough +hp to overcome the 400+ damage mobs my level do to me (i.e. being able to take 1 more hit)- and I am using the best armor I can make (hence why I stay so level, so I can afford the next tier's top armor/gear).

But mostly in my mind smarter is figuring out how to NOT GET HIT AT ALL - and there I seem to fail constantly. (and if I don't get hit I shouldn't need more HP now should I?)

I'd also like to quibble on your definition of 'buying' charms, but I don't think its worth getting into more than a mention. <_<

THANKS EVERYONE! I'm so glad I'm not the only person who feels this way from time to time b:thanks
    ♪ "Once I thought the World was made for me"
    ♫ "Once I thought experience was Free"
    ♪ "Never knew you had to pay the Price"
    ♫ "Then I found you sometimes pay it Twice!"
    --The Fraggles of Fraggle Rock
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you don't want to shard or refine your gear, at least do your bow. Damage dealt is HP saved.