Light armored demon stormie

Options
MagicSkry - Morai
MagicSkry - Morai Posts: 23 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Stormbringer
Hello there!

Everyone knows that most of the casters can use LA build. And now we know, that the demon stormie has a lot of defense. Also a LA caster has many crits, and demon skills gives many more crit chances. Yes, i know that rank armor is arcane, but imagine a light armored demon stormie tanking a boss with searing moonlight with that 15 def lv...
Lets talk about this!
Post edited by MagicSkry - Morai on

Comments

• XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LA casters have been almost entirely outdated for years, with the possible exception of venos who want the tankiness and dont want to go rank gear (Though with rebirth stats, HA is a better option).

There hasn't been a reason to go with an LA caster for years, you can get the pdef from ornaments and g16 refines well. An LA SB wont pull aggro because it won't have the DD output to compete with AA casters.

Most casters "can" use LA build in the same way that most casters "can" run around with an aps set.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mhm...if there would be a decent LA armour out there especially for caster then yes...it might be a possibility. But..judging from the fact that you get 5% crit on the r9 armour the Stormies will get with around 150 magic points (set and stats) on top its just not worth it. A full g16 LA Stormy will not even deal half the dmg and still have inferior defense even at the same level of refinement/shards. Even in G16 AA you only will be inferior of the overall refines are very low.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As someone who built a LA cler and stuck with it...

The bonuses for LA armor:
    - A lot more phys defense, especially early on
    - More balanced phys/arcane defense. Due to diminishing returns your overall defenses are higher, especially once you start taking primal passives into account
    - More hitpoints per refine on the armor pieces means bigger HP bar
    - Dex bonuses from gear will cause you to have a much higher crit rate
    - Can use Arcane ornaments without much of a drawback
    - Melee attacks do some damage and don't miss all the time. Can be handy in specific situations.

The drawbacks:
    - Lower mana pool due to lower magic stat. Can be annoying early on.
    - Lower base damage and skill damage, even when taking crits into account. Debuff and DOT effects will never crit, so for Electrostatic Discharge for instance, a LA build is bad. (Same with heals)
    - No rank or class armor possibility

A LA build is a cheap "I want a tanky caster" solution that sacrifices a bit of firepower for resilience and spike damage. It however is NOT a pvp-capable build and shouldn't be used as such. It is capable of handling more PVE punishment at lower refines, ornies and socketgems then fullmag arcanes.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.