Most cost-effective way to Hercules

wolf#3884
wolf#3884 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Venomancer
I recently charged some Gold with the intention to finally get that golden fat dude (it was a really hard decision especially with the Harpy lying around). Since I am not really good in Math, what is the best way to get a Herc right now.

1) We don't have a Battle Pet Pack Sale

2) Gold in Heavens tear sits at a 2.8m-3m Should i want to sell it to buyers

3) There are not Hercules Pet tickets lying around (seems like people dont open Perfect Chests anymore (and I'm not willing to take the risk)

4) Source of Power Catshops are rare and most sell their SoP for like 30k.

I can't make sense in any of these ... any help ...

Phoenix_Eye
Post edited by wolf#3884 on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Source of force can be purchased directly now. Work on saving up enough gold for it (Note: Not coin use gold so you can get a fixed value instead of saving up enough coin only to miss out due to gold prices changing or the like) while keeping an eye out in case someone tries to sell a herc ticket. If someone tries to sell the ticket while you're saving, go for it as that's almost always cheaper than any other method. If not, well now you've saved up enough gold to buy them directly and can choose whether or not to wait for a sale on legendary pet materials.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Pet_Catcher - Dreamweaver
    Pet_Catcher - Dreamweaver Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    for a "low budget" veno... it might be cheeper to find a faction that is geared twards a strong heavenly vault...

a glacial walker with the right skills can be just as good, and at 90 million total for the 3 skills, that's cheeper then 300 million for the average herc ticket
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    for a "low budget" veno... it might be cheeper to find a faction that is geared twards a strong heavenly vault...

a glacial walker with the right skills can be just as good, and at 90 million total for the 3 skills, that's cheeper then 300 million for the average herc ticket

That is an option as well.
    The Glacial Walker will lack the Hercules' strong aggro skill (evolution skill) but it can get moods with Howl or Provoking (preferably Howl) which are aggro skills and there's always the good ol' Roar to add to the mix.
    The biggest difference is probably going to be the fact that an evolved Hercules can fly and swim too, so you can take it anywhere.

All in all, I've never used a Walker so I can't speak from experience. Someone else would have to share their experience with it and tell how effective it is.

I have to ask the OP; what do you intend to do with the Hercules?

But for your original question; Hercules tickets are almost always the cheapest option. The price will vary from server to server though so I can't give you a price. However, if nobody seems to be selling any I would probably go with Kossy's plan.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • wolf#3884
    edited January 2015
    Thank you for your responds ^^ all of you

The ability of the evolved Herc to be summoned in all Terrain Types is indeed attractive.

I have a lvl 100 unevolved Glacial Walker. It performs good in open world but it's pretty non-existent in any dungeons (TT, Warsong (which I want to farm in the future), AEU (which is my major EXP solution as i plan to get to 102 before reawakening).

As I'm not interested in PVP, running in PVP mode to do Lycaeum of Cultivation is holding me down from my other activities. Thus i don't want to spend an eternity in there to level, evolve and optimize 4 different pets (tank, air,water,land DD).

I do plan to evolve some of them for fun (Dark Wanderer since i have no patience to tame + don't aesthetically like Hatchling's Evo, Cuddly Pup cause -> utter cuteness), but in my own pace once i have attended to more pressing matters (g15 Morai armor from Corona, g15 magic sword from Shroud).

Plus, I have a bunch of Alts i would like to farm gear for (apart from the ones supplying me from Jolly Old Jones coin rewards).

Also i never had a ethical problem with buying small amounts of gold (40-50 euro every 1-2 months). It was just that the old charging system didn't support my credit card before Arc. If it could, i would buy one ages ago.

As for getting the Base Skills for a Glacial, it's not a bad idea, but since I have the ability to spend a little bit more, I have no problem using that money for my gear/refines/ other alts. Since I'm going to spend a lot of coin, why not invest it in the best tank(all round-all terrain pet) in the game. (I know the harpy is better on AoE stuff but I can't say i really like it)

Phoenix_Eye
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah in that case, yeah I'd probably go for the Hercules too. You probably remember my older post when you asked about the legendary pets. The evolved Hercules can get a pretty decent boost in its attack as well so it makes a good choice for an all around pet.

I do prefer the Phoenix as an all-utility pet but that kinda requires you teaching Strong/Protect to turn it into a proper tank and that's a bit of a stretch.

I don't know if you're already aware of it, but Veneir discovered a simple way of activating Lycaeum and I made a video for it. It's still a bother, but at least it's safe.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • sailormoon4ever
    sailormoon4ever Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    As I'm not interested in PVP, running in PVP mode to do Lycaeum of Cultivation is holding me down from my other activities. Thus i don't want to spend an eternity in there to level, evolve and optimize 4 different pets (tank, air,water,land DD).

As Desdii mentioned, you can safely do it without a long timer. Here' a quick 6 step summary of what you can do (got this from reading stuff here, so not claiming credit; also not sure if some steps can be skipped) :
    1) enter and start quest and run to puff bird with pet in guard mode
    - you will turn pink
    2) log out and log back in
    - you will be pink for like a min then turn white
    3) re-enter and CTRL attack a guard with pet in guard mode
    - you will turn from white to pink
    4) move away with pet
    - you will turn white again after a min
    5) go afk till its over and collect reward and leave instance, then click pvp off (no timer)
    [ you don't have to go afk, you can actually do the quest, but I'm just lazy :) ]
    - you will turn blue again

I'm not sure if/why you need the log out and log back in to re-enter steps, but this works for me. I think the object is to enable pvp without you turning it on yourself so that you won't have a timer for turning it off. But if that was the case, I would think you can skip steps 2/3/4 and just CTRL attack a guard before going afk. So not sure of the reasons behind some of the steps.
  • wolf#3884
    edited January 2015
    Thank you very much, I will try this new method on my next run ^^

Phoenix_Eye
  • morenawolf
    morenawolf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Woudn't be better to give the base skills to a Dino instead of a Supreme Walker? My SW have Provoking lvl6 but in some cases my Dino hold aggro much better, or it simply kill faster thanks to the attack lvl and aps. It can't have aggro mood like tanks, but it's a beast. And it walk much faster than the SW, which is always great. I think the low speed is one of the greatest flaw of the SW, only 6, and in places like Warsong speed is what you need the most. To be honest, speed is also what make me wonder what legendary pet to get first: the Nix is a jack of all trades and master of none, but it's very fast and hit hard so I would have a lot of fun on it. But Herc is still the best tank and it's faster than the SW... I truly don't know what to choose.

If I could have a decent free tank pet, I would probably use to farm a Harpy anyway...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Tempestosa - Stormbringer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • wolf#3884
    edited January 2015
    I agree here. If i Could Find a Hatchling i would gladly invest in Leg. Skills for it. (though Aesthetically i prefer the Dark Wanderer , and the evolution and it's not that much weaker). Hatchlings are beasts when it comes to balanced utility.

The speed of a Walker isn't sth that I care a lot in most solo cases. Lately I run with squads that move more smoothly around not going berserk on anything that moves. Perhaps I'm lucky ... Warsong is another thing.

The Phoenix (the irony considering my veno's name) was never my favorite personally. It has monstrous Attack but now so has a Harpy with her evolved skills and AoE abilities which are more valued in today's kill-all-****-fast-at-once-PWI. It can Tank but so can a herc (better and even unevolved). It can pvp but so can the Monkey King and well ... way better.

At list its evolved form is really .... phoenix-y and not a chicken on fire ... but does it worth all that cash ...

Phoenix_Eye
  • wolf#3884
    edited January 2015
    Returning here so not to create another Thread.

My gold saving is going well, took advantage of the bonus zen-on charge

At the Same Time I Evolved my Glacial (to have a decent tank till I get the Herc).

So the Inherit Stats are **** apart from 22/25 phys attack and 11/20 Attack lvls. The rest are 5/XYZ. So i plan to reforge them immediately.( my own stats aren't supreme so 5 HP Def and DEF lvls don't help at all.

However it got Hopeful mood with Both Skills at lvl 8. The first one is a 80% Heal and the second one is Provoking (30% to draw aggro around mob).

Shall I try for Primal Howl ??? because that double 8 there is really attractive considering my Walker can't tank a lot due to **** inherit stats. ???

Phoenix_Eye
  • morenawolf
    morenawolf Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would keep the Mood for now, it's pretty good and you can keep aggro on anything below BH89. I suggest to use your feral stars to reroll the inherit stats, and keep the rest to evolve your future Herc :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Raujada - Venomancer
    Tempestosa - Stormbringer
    Archosaur & Morai server
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While you can buy Source of Force directly, Battle Pet Packs are still more cost effective, considering you can trade Phoenix Feathers for Source of Force at the Pet Manager 100 at a time at no cost, and you will average about 27 Source of Force or Phoenix Feathers per pack opened. 225 gold for Source of Force bought directly, vs. ~150 gold for enough battle pet packs? Choice should be obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • wolf#3884
    edited January 2015
    Thank you :)

Found a catshop selling SoF for 19k so bought like 2k of them immediately. Rest will go to packs.

If only we had a sale b:cry

Phoenix_Eye