lack of pwi mac client

Rianya - Heavens Tear
Rianya - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
I want to start a serious discussion about why, after all these years, there still is no Mac client for PWI.

Now, for my part, I'm a bit of an old-timer. I used to play around 2007/2008, with a brief period happening in 2010/2011. Back then, I was still a PC user, but as I got further and further into my college career, I started to see that a Macbook would probably be my better option. So I made the switch and haven't looked back since. My Mac is more reliable than my PC ever was and it's much easier for me to cart around campus (which is one of the biggest in the state of Illinois), since it's noticeably lighter than my old PC. My only complaint is the lack of MMO's available to me.

I think this game is at the point where the devs need to make the push to make it more readily accessible to Mac users, instead of telling us to use programs like CrossOver, which aren't always stable. With other big name MMOs like LoL, WoW, and ESO all having Mac clients, I don't think the devs can make the argument against making one for this game.
Just love me and fear me like the terrifying **** goddess that I am and all will be well.
-
Chars/Servers
Rianya/Veno/Lvl. 32/Heavens Tear
Halliana/BM/Lvl. 7/Heavens Tear
NekoiReyane/Assassin/Lvl. 16/Heavens Tear
Post edited by Rianya - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They pretty much can. Unless the MAC becomes popular in Asia for gaming I honestly don't think we will be getting that anytime soon. One PWE game supports MAC, one (1), and that is STO developed by Cryptic Studios an American company. This game was developed in China, the odds are not very good they will make a version for an OS like the MAC.

This is also an old game by MMO standards. This version is not doing very well population-wise nor popularity-wise, and that just doubles the odds.

Now count down the hours until our resident tech geek or MOD replies, cause I'm going to bed.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • Rianya - Heavens Tear
    Rianya - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is also an old game by MMO standards. This version is not doing very well population-wise nor popularity-wise, and that just doubles the odds.

Was honestly unaware of this. I mean, I haven't played in almost three years, which is when I think the expansion with the Tideborn came out.

Maybe I'll just give up on MMO's altogether and just stick to playing stuff on my PS4. Haven't been disappointed there yet. (Actually that's a lie. The Last of Us was a major disappoint.)
    Just love me and fear me like the terrifying **** goddess that I am and all will be well.
    -
    Chars/Servers
    Rianya/Veno/Lvl. 32/Heavens Tear
    Halliana/BM/Lvl. 7/Heavens Tear
    NekoiReyane/Assassin/Lvl. 16/Heavens Tear
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yea i feel ur pain i cashed 10k $ for my Mac and i cant play pwi i planed to keep bots all day long to make me some coins coz i am poor in game but pwi only support dam PC so i can only play it when i am at my granpa home couse he is still having Pentium 4
  • gamer4jesus
    gamer4jesus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My friend is playing PWI on his MAC (althou he has 2 OS installed). b:shutup
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Maybe I'll just give up on MMO's altogether and just stick to playing stuff on my PS4.
    I don't blame you, the entire genre is stagnant. There's new MMORPGS, but its the same thing in a prettier package. Or someone takes a 10 year old system, changes it slightly and get heralded for innovation.

Anyway, on topic..I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac client. Besides what Asone said about the game being developed in Asia, its also an 8-year old f2p MMO (debuted Jan '06 in Asia, I believe).
    I don't think they're about to devote the time or resources to making a MAC client for an 8 year old MMO for their after-thought market (which we are, Asia is the primary market),
  • Rjwashere - Dreamweaver
    Rjwashere - Dreamweaver Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yea i feel ur pain i cashed 10k $ for my Mac and i cant play pwi i planed to keep bots all day long to make me some coins coz i am poor in game but pwi only support dam PC so i can only play it when i am at my granpa home couse he is still having Pentium 4
    haha

10k for a mac? The pc master race costs less and does more
    b:avoidb:avoidb:avoid
  • xxxxjayxxxx
    xxxxjayxxxx Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    10k for a mac? The pc master race costs less and does more

so true b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gamer4jesus
    gamer4jesus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PWI + MAC = Perfect Match

you can either do this the free way:

http://www.ampercent.com/dual-booting-os-x-yosemite-windows-8/13962/

Or you can pay and get customer support with it:

http://www.parallels.com/eu/cross-platform-solutions/

PS! I am not connected or advertising this, im just showing there are many options.
  • Blood_Junky - Harshlands
    Blood_Junky - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thats what you get for trying to game on a ****ing Mac. #pcmasterrace
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2014
    Now count down the hours until our resident tech geek or MOD replies, cause I'm going to bed.b:surrender
    I was asleep b:surrender
    I want to start a serious discussion about why, after all these years, there still is no Mac client for PWI.

Now, for my part, I'm a bit of an old-timer. I used to play around 2007/2008, with a brief period happening in 2010/2011. Back then, I was still a PC user, but as I got further and further into my college career, I started to see that a Macbook would probably be my better option. So I made the switch and haven't looked back since. My Mac is more reliable than my PC ever was and it's much easier for me to cart around campus (which is one of the biggest in the state of Illinois), since it's noticeably lighter than my old PC. My only complaint is the lack of MMO's available to me.

I think this game is at the point where the devs need to make the push to make it more readily accessible to Mac users, instead of telling us to use programs like CrossOver, which aren't always stable. With other big name MMOs like LoL, WoW, and ESO all having Mac clients, I don't think the devs can make the argument against making one for this game.

Take a serious look at some statistics and you'll clearly see why very few companies will spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars making games for minority OS'es like Mac and Linux.
    (PWE doesn't like tables, so this may get a bit sloppy)

OPERATING SYSTEM__|__TOTAL MARKET SHARE
    Windows 7_______________56.41%
    Windows XP______________13.57%
    Windows 8.1_____________12.10%
    Windows 8_______________6.55%
    Mac OS X 10.9___________2.79%
    Mac OS X 10.10__________2.66%
    Windows Vista___________2.65%
    Linux___________________1.25%
    Mac OS X 10.6___________0.68%
    Mac OS X 10.8___________0.50%
    Mac OS X 10.7___________0.49%
    Mac OS X 10.5___________0.12%
    Windows NT______________0.11%
    Win64___________________0.04%
    Windows 2000____________0.03%
    Mac OS X 10.4___________0.03%

Now, let's apply some simple math....
    Windows_________________91.46%
    Mac OS__________________7.27%

That's just for November 2014

Since the last time we had one of these threads, Mac has fallen back about 2%, Linux dropped almost 10%, and Windows has made some serious gains. Linux is a bit harder to track though, since so many distro's are completely free.

Now, think about it. You have a game with 1 million players.
    914,600 people play on Windows.
    72,700 people play on Mac
    12,500 people play on Linux

Does it make any sense at all to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to pull your development team off of designing new material and fixing existing bugs, in order to make something that is solely for less than 10% of your possible playerbase?
    Then, once it's complete, you'll need to spend additional funds for the extra staff to support it, and convert the new data created by the main team, and work out additional bugs that arise in the conversion.
    Financially, it's pointless and a complete sinkhole. Especially on an aging title.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Download boot camp for Mac and you can run PW.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014

Take a serious look at some statistics and you'll clearly see why very few companies will spend hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars making games for minority OS'es like Mac and Linux.

Since the last time we had one of these threads, Mac has fallen back about 2%, Linux dropped almost 10%, and Windows has made some serious gains. Linux is a bit harder to track though, since so many distro's are completely free.

Does it make any sense at all to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to pull your development team off of designing new material and fixing existing bugs, in order to make something that is solely for less than 10% of your possible playerbase?
    Then, once it's complete, you'll need to spend additional funds for the extra staff to support it, and convert the new data created by the main team, and work out additional bugs that arise in the conversion.
    Financially, it's pointless and a complete sinkhole. Especially on an aging title.

To add to this, I would think the reason why other titles that you mentioned (which really shouldn't be mentioned because of forum rules, but... ><) is because those titles still have active players/new players coming into the game due to outside advertisements and such. PWI has no such things, and it really wouldn't be beneficial to them to make this game for Mac users.
  • demysama#9223
    demysama#9223 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Download boot camp for Mac and you can run PW.

b:cute best answer ever!!! and mostly all ppl i know who has a mac only use it for work.. they have pc to play games!! b:chuckle
  • Boomz - Harshlands
    Boomz - Harshlands Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the overall population of mac users have much more money to spend on non-essiantials such as pwi than pc users... ijs this is 1000% more than enough reason for pw to make a mac version compatable also... I mean all pw cares about is money.

edit: The kind of spending i'm talking about would probably increase their profits by over 50%... ijs... lol
    edit2: It doesn't by any means cost 100s of k to make a mac version LOL it is a simple process to convert the code so it can be read by mac as well, an under 50k operation.
    ░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ cause i can't make art, so i made
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤this awesome tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1 shot king. LV 150 FSP bosses hit for 3m. Top Player hit record: 652,656.
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the overall population of mac users have much more money to spend on non-essiantials such as pwi than pc users..
    I don't know what to even say to this. Would you mind linking anything at all legitimate that shows the disposable income spending habits compared between PC and Mac users? Or the incomes and savings of these two groups showing that Mac users do indeed have more money?
  • Rjwashere - Dreamweaver
    Rjwashere - Dreamweaver Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the overall population of mac users have much more money to spend on non-essiantials such as pwi than pc users... ijs this is 1000% more than enough reason for pw to make a mac version compatable also... I mean all pw cares about is money.

edit: The kind of spending i'm talking about would probably increase their profits by over 50%... ijs... lol
    edit2: It doesn't by any means cost 100s of k to make a mac version LOL it is a simple process to convert the code so it can be read by mac as well, an under 50k operation.

Mac is garbage along with all of the other overpriced garbage that apple makes. Mac users should get a pc, they can easily afford one.
    b:avoidb:avoidb:avoid
  • Demodude - Dreamweaver
    Demodude - Dreamweaver Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I think were overlooking a key nugget of information here

Why are there still people using windows 2000????
    ChayalBoded 102/102/101 Celestial Sage Rank 9 Assassin

English is my second language sorry that I mess up sometimes

Tempest b:dirty
  • Father_gold - Sanctuary
    Father_gold - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think were overlooking a key nugget of information here

Why are there still people using windows 2000????

server and lab environments, databases, and other stable environments.... to name a few.

the supposition that mac users have more money to burn is dumb, if that were anywhere near true the avg price of adopting the brand would not have been lowering over time.

once apple's market share increases past 10% and the russians figure out its fun and worthwhile to hit macs.... all that talk of mac superiority will go the way of the dodo. not to mention the proliferation of antivirus suites on macs and the recent security breaches of apple's cloud databases....

also, apple is not a very open development oriented company, prior to intel platform everything was inhouse from hardware to software. nobody is going to go out of their way to get their software on mac's platform if it means you basically have to re-write it.

i work in desktop support, every single person who insists on being given a mac who are not in audio/video editing or image editing couldn't write a single paragraph justifying why they need one past "it's shiny".
  • lilb3c
    lilb3c Posts: 1 New User
    I know this is an outdated forum post but I'm jus now getting back into the whole PWI thing. My boyfriend and I were talking about MMORPGs that we enjoyed before meeting. I mentioned PWI and he was curious to see it as he has never heard of it. I went to try to show him, and I was unable to since PWI is not available for Mac users. I upgraded to a Mac because I found them more reliable than a PC. Such a shame, I was really looking forward to getting my characters going again.
  • justdax
    justdax Posts: 94 Arc User
    you're all forgetting the most important reason not to have a mac client -- PWE NEVER EVER EVER EVER FIXES ANYTHING BROKEN IN THE PC VERSION!! why the hell would anyone want them to do a mac version that will be and will remain just as broken as everything else they do???????????? seriously?? get real
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    lilb3c wrote: »
    I know this is an outdated forum post but I'm jus now getting back into the whole PWI thing. My boyfriend and I were talking about MMORPGs that we enjoyed before meeting. I mentioned PWI and he was curious to see it as he has never heard of it. I went to try to show him, and I was unable to since PWI is not available for Mac users. I upgraded to a Mac because I found them more reliable than a PC. Such a shame, I was really looking forward to getting my characters going again.

Nice necro.
    Also, there's a thing called bootcamp for mac, look that up.
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• chilpod
    chilpod Posts: 61 Arc User
    Playing PWI on a Mac for i.d.k. 5 years maybe but that's because I'm addicted to PWI. I'm sure an alternative version for macs won't be a good investment for Perfect World Entertainment simply because we can play PWI on a mac if we want. Same goes for computers with Linux installed. Think PlayOnLinux (Wine) still works but am unable to test it since my linux computer only has 256Mb RAM. :)
This discussion has been closed.