A Noobs Guide To Survival

Options
Egamoto - Harshlands
Egamoto - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Blademaster
I don't see this any more so i thought I'd write a small post about it!

Stop reading if you are satisfied by the way you handle pvp situations

At some point you read that the most important thing for a bm is to stay close to his target and stun lock their butts to infinity!

And you got stuck in that play-style for so long, you neglected every change that came through in the past 2 years!

FIghting a mage:

Mage will leap back debuff and go for the charm tick!
As soon as the gap between you two open up if he manages to land that debuff and one hit jump the hell back away and WAIT for your charm to cooldown.

Result: Mage did half the work for you! You managed to throw in some marrows and get some chi back. You got some important skills some time to come off cool down!!

You'd say: But the mages skills come off cool down too so nothing is gained!

I'd say: Try it. Just try it. BMs are all about dexterity (not the stat) in a fight!

Fighting a sin:

Run around for 30 seconds! thats how long it will take for their annoying autobuff to wear off
time your skills to suffice for a 30 second stall and good luck!

Fighting a barb:

Stun DG pew pew pew

Jump back attack from distance with sword/pole primal skills to get your chi up

Repeat first step till lady luck zerks in your favour

Fighting a psy:

Stun DG switch to sword get 50 chi back jump back the hell away!! hopefull psy will have used expell ADD etc etc! Build your chi back with marrow buffs you have the upper hand for the next 15 secs.

Fighting an archer

Stay as close as possible!! Archers are oldschool! They have been implanted with the need to run from you so take advantage of that!
Even if you only have 400 hp left they will try to make distance from you before applying the killing blow!

Never run from archer unless he has you stunned preemptively from a distance, in which case jump back as soon as you are out of stun to cooldown your charm

Fighting an other BM!

Easy. Run around and all their chi will be gone in 30 secs trying to catch up to you stop you immobilise you! Then you have the advantage for like a minute

Fighting a seeker:

Do what you always do! when charm ticks howl aas away till it comes off cooldown

Group PVP:

ALLIES

with fellow sin: STAY ALIVE/CROUD CONTROL. Let sin take care of the rest
with fellow barb: Assist attack save chi! (AKA no DG) Pull back for charm cooldowns and re-enter battle when rdy!
with fellow psychic: stay close to them. buffs - keep close range DDies away
with fellow archer: Run in, go crazy for 10 secs run back! 10 secs is the max time an archer will stay in one place so after 10 secs you got no cover
with fellow Veno: DG to infinity! venos by default will try to support you as best as they can! Switch roles between main DD to support accordingly
With fellow mystic: Be prepared to be the tank! Survive survive! stay close to them and pick opponents one by one (assist attack)
With fellow bm: Discuss who will be the main DD and who will be the crowd controler!
With fellow mage: Protect the mage no matter what! Whatever DD capabilities you think you have they have more. Stay close to them
with fellow seeker: seekers got their own little world they wont really care about what you do! Survive DG build chi repeat
with fellow cleric: complicated! most cleric will try be support!! be a hero and advise them otherwise if you are not confident you can drop opponents by yourself! protect him if he is the DD stay close! always have him on your back and enemies on front if he is support! that way a leap back and you will be next to him in case a sin pops up.

MASS PVP

You will be the last class to get targeted unless you are all the way to the front in which case you will be the first to be targeted by everyone! if you are not confident you can tank for 1 minute dont go in there! you will end up wasting APoc genie and then you are useless! Let the fighting commence and provide cover and support in this order:
1. For magic classes
2. For Archers
3. For rest

Your team will love you.

Every situation is different. But in the midst of battle if you are unaware of the enemies strengh/alies capabilities having all of this in mind will grant you a balanced fighting chance!

Good luck and have fun fellow Bmers, and hang tight!

I did this in a rush hope you can forgive me
Post edited by Egamoto - Harshlands on

Comments

• teikiatsu11
    teikiatsu11 Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's nice to see a new guide that accounts for recent changes! b:victory Very nicely done guide.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Edit:

So basically your in depth pvp opinion is "your charm ticked, or something remotely threatening happened waste a run skill or just get deaded from max range"

Followed by the wise words of a mass pvp bm "Uuuuh, stun things for people"

Such wisdom.

I love the part where you know how the defining skill of sins in pvp functions.

●Tidal Protection

Mana 175
    Channel 0.1  seconds
    Cast 1.6  seconds
    Chi Gained 10
    Weapon Daggers

Required Cultivation Master of Harmony
    Call upon the power of the tides to protect you
    from your foes. Increases your chance to resist
    negative status effects by 66% for 60 seconds.

Tidal Protection shares a 90 second cooldown with Focused Mind.
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Egamoto - Harshlands
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ty for your feedback!

As I mentioned at the start of my post if you are satisfied by the way you handle PvP situations
    please ignore the thread!

I wont debate whether you wasted a running skill to get away from your target when your charm ticks etc etc! You can play however you see fit!

Sorry about the tidal mistake! It is 1 minute long not 30 seconds as formentioned!

This is not a pro guide to anything! Some BMs out there might find some stuff usefull, I know I do!
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sometimes Joshcja i think people who play pwi on sanctuary are totally from all the other servers.

Below is for nw, tw.

I have yet to see any of the classes behave in the way mentioned in the guide. As i mentioned before in a post, the game has reached a point where

"You either get one shot or you one shot others". There is no such thing as equal gear fight. A lvl 80~90 non rb mystic can mess you up as a r9 bm.

When i had low hp (6k), the only time i was effective was when i was using pan gu essence to run in stun, hf and die. The dd's took care of the rest. Now with 18k hp, i still do the same, run in, stun, hf, die.

That is just how i see things. Other people on the forums can tell you far more about how to improve your survival guide. Dan's guide to pvp is pretty good for survival.
  • Evryn - Morai
    Evryn - Morai Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FIghting a mage:

Mage will leap back debuff and go for the charm tick!
    As soon as the gap between you two open up if he manages to land that debuff and one hit jump the hell back away and WAIT for your charm to cooldown.
    Offensive solution if the mage has been damaged: Marrow Magic - Switch to sword - primal Spiritchaser - switch to strong spear - primal Far Strike (and Diamond Sutra as needed to delay a charmtick). Especially on sage BMs that's a crapton of damage on a character that doesn't handle physical damage well normally, at a range of 20 meters.
    Fighting a sin:

Run around for 30 seconds! thats how long it will take for their annoying autobuff to wear off
    time your skills to suffice for a 30 second stall and good luck!
    At which point the sin stealths and waits for his own cooldown. This strategy leads to a standoff. Better option is to try and go for the stunlock. If the sin switches to their CC evasion skills, go full offensive on marrow phys or Buddas Guard. Sin's weakness is endurance, strength is spike damage - keep on the pressure to win.
    Fighting a barb:

Stun DG pew pew pew

Jump back attack from distance with sword/pole primal skills to get your chi up

Repeat first step till lady luck zerks in your favour
    I'll probably catch some flak for this, but barbs are the only class on which APS in PvP has a place. Wittle one down with marrow phys... zerkcrits won't do any good on an HP monster, so as soon as the enemy charm ticks, stun, Heavens Flame, switch to fists and APS the snot out of it... and pray that your opponent falls over before HF ends. Barbs are not the ideal enemies for BMs - equally skilled and geared, it'll likely end in a standoff.
    Fighting an archer
    Stay as close as possible!! Archers are oldschool! They have been implanted with the need to run from you so take advantage of that!
    Even if you only have 400 hp left they will try to make distance from you before applying the killing blow!
    Never run from archer unless he has you stunned preemptively from a distance, in which case jump back as soon as you are out of stun to cooldown your charm
    Spamming Primal Farstrike can throw an archer wanting to stay at range into disarray (short freeze effect). Doesn't aways work though, damned evasion...
    Fighting a seeker:

Do what you always do! when charm ticks howl aas away till it comes off cooldown
    Blade Hurl disables nearly all Seeker skills. Use it defensively along with Smack to allow some charm recovery. If you're a sage BM, be careful with marrows. Sword Cyclone / Blade Tornado will punch through defense levels as it's applied as a debuff rather then direct hits (also an option for dealing with whitevoodoo Psys).

In mass PvP a BM's job is usually CC/damage mitigation. I disagree that you'll be the last class targeted - an unmanaged BM will mean mass stuns galore, and I've always found myself with a bullseye on my behind after the first Roar of the Pride. In specific situations debuffs can come in handy (HF/Glacial on a catapuller/flagcarrier mainly).

@Above Jaabg: Run in with Will of Bodhi, stun, hf, click off Ironguard Powder, AOE, and retreat before Ironguard wears off. Works wonders in a clusterbrawl, folks will try to target you after a stun and the IG will make em waste a few shots. Cheap tactic if you run AEU often, IG powder isn't that expensive then.
    I'm so P.R.O... I Press Respawn Often.

Ulsyr 103/103/104 BM. Working on the last R9 part (Axe).
    Khelvan 103/103/103 LA Cler. LA? LA. Deal with it.
    Evryn 103/102/101 Sagely Mystical Myst of Mystiness.
    Gromth 102/102/102 Sage Panda.
    StoneSnake - Snakeshop for everyone's common stones.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Man, good thing IG power has a 14 second CD amitire?
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't play and you wont die. =3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Could do a more serious version, but why?

Against Cleric:

Get slept

Watch your bar fill up with debuffs

Watch cleric Tempest

Curl into the fetal position and whimper

Click the Respawn button of defeat

Drink yourself into a stupor, remembering when BMs were relevant

EDIT: @Evryn IG powder costs the same whether you buy it or earn it in game. As long as it could be sold for the same you can buy it, that is the cost of using it. Opportunity cost is a thing.
  • Egamoto - Harshlands
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great feedback, but as I said: If you are satisfied with the way you handle PvP situations then
    please dont take under consideration any of the stuff I wrote :)

Either way I will debate some suggestions!

Barbs: pls dont go aps! APS = you can be one shotted since you switched your gear to the "lowest" defensive capabilities possible. Unless you have r8r interval gear in which case YES! it is a great idea you should utilise!

Other than that zerking CAN and WILL eventually drop a barb who even outgears you by refines! Maybe not so if he fully jaded in which case APS will not help you either.

I like the mage offensive solution, but that requires of you to know your targets playstyle! A simple visit at the forums of mages and you'll realise that after seal and charm tick comes their stone stun! its a regular combo! if you have been ticked and the distance has been made by the mage leap back regroup.

Sins: Yes, they can stealth and wait! NP be patient. Dont die cause of the inherent ADHD that accompanies every bm (you know what i'm sayin we all have it). Let sins die to their own ADHD
    depended playstyle! (they will)

Cleric! Yes you will die! its okei! Its not okei to always die while going after them with the same strategy!

BM vs BM: Most patient one will get the kill!

Dans' guides: I like Dans' guides, they are comprehensive and extensive! Please take a look at them ASAP. GJ Dan

I appreciate your feedback!

Stop IG DG death combos! Read my post again! try new stuff!
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Options
    APS against a demon barb is a bad idea, no matter what your aps set is. You will give the barb free access to toy with you and test your defenses - some most pathetic cases die to demon roar or do laughable damage witth their little fists.

Zerking will kill a barb... teach me how to perma zerk, I do not know how! b:sad

For the less lucky BMs... eh, I find that they're pretty tankable (as are vit barbs, mind you). BMs who can perma stunlock you are the most dangerous ones, although all BMs I know to succeed in that well are sage.

But yes, don't try to stunlock me, I prefer to have free access to get my own kill combo in.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    APS against a demon barb is a bad idea, no matter what your aps set is. You will give the barb free access to toy with you and test your defenses - some most pathetic cases die to demon roar or do laughable damage witth their little fists.

Zerking will kill a barb... teach me how to perma zerk, I do not know how! b:sad

For the less lucky BMs... eh, I find that they're pretty tankable (as are vit barbs, mind you). BMs who can perma stunlock you are the most dangerous ones, although all BMs I know to succeed in that well are sage.

But yes, don't try to stunlock me, I prefer to have free access to get my own kill combo in.

Depends on situation and placement. In NW you typically find the barbs who want to go turtle and will not do much if you start with APS. I use them to gain chi up to a good amount, then start the stun lock and whip out my Monarch Spear. That's when they suddenly don't want to play anymore, but with demon stun lock set mixed with OI genie, getting 30-45 second stun locks is simple even just swinging the spear.

It's only if others come to get them that it cuts it short. So NWs with few people and killing them separated out is a great place to do it.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options

"sage bm stunlock" Good jokes, Good jokes.
  • Egamoto - Harshlands
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You can keep a barb stun locked till all of your chi is good and gone! sacrifice your lock for higher damaging combos to get the kill! Or perma tank/stun each other and then complain about how you cant perma zerk.

Fighting barbs:

Stun lock? Your stunning purpose will very quickly become from dealing damage and keaping barb locked TO stunning long enough to build up chi to stun again (rinse/repeat)
    Dont stun lock? Might die? Yes! Might kill! Yes! If you find your ways to survive a class without wasting all your chi in 45 secs you are well on your way to become a better DD as a bm.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You can keep a barb stun locked till all of your chi is good and gone! sacrifice your lock for higher damaging combos to get the kill! Or perma tank/stun each other and then complain about how you cant perma zerk.

Fighting barbs:

Stun lock? Your stunning purpose will very quickly become from dealing damage and keaping barb locked TO stunning long enough to build up chi to stun again (rinse/repeat)
    Dont stun lock? Might die? Yes! Might kill! Yes! If you find your ways to survive a class without wasting all your chi in 45 secs you are well on your way to become a better DD as a bm.

Don't think you really grasp the concept of barb fighting in the example I gave. When the barb is turtled, you can zerk all you want; you won't do ****. The long stun time is for 2 purposes:

1. To use a Purge spear to remove the barbs buffs, ending his turtling time and leaving him vulnerable however you wish to kill him (be it zerk, APS, fire damage, etc.)

2. Failing that, you tend to start weapon swapping when you fall to around 2 sparks worth left. This is so you can build up chi to keep the lock going indefinitely, while just waiting for their turtle skills to wear off. At which point you kill them in the same manner, it's just less likely.

Quite honestly if you are out of chi completely after a 30/45 second stun lock, you're not very good at being a BM. It's one of the reasons I like OI genies as well, if the target uses a break out of stun genie skill and starts running, the chi from the skill is wasted and you aren't in position to restun with a skill usually. OI and close and start sequence up, with them out the genie energy. If you need to save to build up some chi and genie is full energy, use OI.

Bottom line, learn to weapon swap and you'll finally learn that BMs can easily do longer than 45 seconds of stunlock and still have plenty of chi. Only bad BMs would think otherwise.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't think you really grasp the concept of barb fighting in the example I gave. When the barb is turtled, you can zerk all you want; you won't do ****. The long stun time is for 2 purposes:

1. To use a Purge spear to remove the barbs buffs, ending his turtling time and leaving him vulnerable however you wish to kill him (be it zerk, APS, fire damage, etc.)

2. Failing that, you tend to start weapon swapping when you fall to around 2 sparks worth left. This is so you can build up chi to keep the lock going indefinitely, while just waiting for their turtle skills to wear off. At which point you kill them in the same manner, it's just less likely.

Quite honestly if you are out of chi completely after a 30/45 second stun lock, you're not very good at being a BM. It's one of the reasons I like OI genies as well, if the target uses a break out of stun genie skill and starts running, the chi from the skill is wasted and you aren't in position to restun with a skill usually. OI and close and start sequence up, with them out the genie energy. If you need to save to build up some chi and genie is full energy, use OI.

Bottom line, learn to weapon swap and you'll finally learn that BMs can easily do longer than 45 seconds of stunlock and still have plenty of chi. Only bad BMs would think otherwise.

b:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    b:dirtyb:dirtyb:dirty

So you finally leveled the cleric eh traitor >.>

RBed all the way :P Almost had full culti, but got screwed over trying to show everyone how to finish the demon culti and they killed it before I could get the credit. No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RBed all the way :P Almost had full culti, but got screwed over trying to show everyone how to finish the demon culti and they killed it before I could get the credit. No good deed goes unpunished.

That no SotG cleric life b:sad
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That no SotG cleric life b:sad

It's more for the Elven Boon, been wanting that on my cleric since 2008, just been too lazy to do the culti for them. Though finally started playing and noticed I was only lvl 91 on final rebirth, so still got some ways to go. Looking more towards that moving channeler class for the next thing to work on, though gold will be hard as hell to get after expansion.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's more for the Elven Boon, been wanting that on my cleric since 2008, just been too lazy to do the culti for them. Though finally started playing and noticed I was only lvl 91 on final rebirth, so still got some ways to go. Looking more towards that moving channeler class for the next thing to work on, though gold will be hard as hell to get after expansion.

I love how the new expansion is literally "are you a sin or an archer? Reroll kthxbai" considering just how many of those are running around sanc the archermageddon should be hilarious to witness..
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love how the new expansion is literally "are you a sin or an archer? Reroll kthxbai"
    b:cry
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    b:cry

b:cute Suffer
  • opkossy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    b:cute Suffer

Nu. I like my archers too much!
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nu. I like my archers too much!

so will we, they'll be great contribution earning for us.
  • opkossy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    so will we, they'll be great contribution earning for us.

*multiclients archer and BM to make archer look OP even though the BM is the one setting up kills* b:infuriated
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    *multiclients archer and BM to make archer look OP even though the BM is the one setting up kills* b:infuriated

Implying the archer will get any kills b:cute

Time to let all your blood out~
  • opkossy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Implying the archer will get any kills b:cute

Time to let all your blood out~

Shush, you! QQ
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Shush, you! QQ

Shhhh delicious christmas turkey, lemme carve you up good. You cant graze away from me now! b:dirty
  • opkossy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't make me bust out the old-school legion of axe throwing archers!
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't make me bust out the old-school legion of axe throwing archers!

Aaaah, that guy.

I still don't know whats better, him or the "paladin's" we used to get.

(Server revealed, my hunt for you begins)
  • opkossy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aaaah, that guy.

I still don't know whats better, him or the "paladin's" we used to get.

(Server revealed, my hunt for you begins)
    While you hunt me there, I'll be celebrating Defected Day. b:chuckle