Is this game just screwed?

Options
Genghiskhan - Heavens Tear
Genghiskhan - Heavens Tear Posts: 321 Arc User
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
So, we have a wide spread, but not game wide issue, where people are having huge lag spikes often resulting in freezing or DC, while this is not impacting EVERYONE it is impacting somewhere in the realm of 10-25% of the population of each server.

The results of the tracert's show that it is from a node in the MA area, that is actually tied to PWI, therefore, before people jump in with "not pwi's fault"...that is that.

Several people have already uninstalled and went elsewhere, more are ready to do the same. And it's not the asshats like me having issues, it's the actual good, helpful people out there...what will be left when the servers are nothing but asshats and nubs?
Post edited by Genghiskhan - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How is the node in MA tied to the servers in NY?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's not PWE, but if I have some more clarity of thin, I may be able to provide some options.

For us West Coast guys, there isn't a lot we can do since the node having the issue is not tied to PWE by any other means than a majority of the traffic to the servers goes through it. With the East Coast issues, it may be different though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuckingFoco - Raging Tide
    LuckingFoco - Raging Tide Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Maybe for some it is screwed. Luckily I don't fall into that category, and after years and years of playing MMOs, none have had the 'perfect connection' Every one of them had the occasional server issue or a string of them, bad lag spikes, bad or incomplete updates, rollbacks (some a lot more severe than the little one PWI had), DCs, etc; some more than others.

Any time you play a MMO, you have to expect any of the above to happen from time to time. None are perfect. Play MMOs as long as I have, and you would take such issues in stride, and when the game isn't running well, you find other things to do instead of sitting in front of a computer like a lost puppy (not saying you are, but in general). I think a lot that complain about PWI have either never played a MMO previous to PWI, or have only played one or two others. When you have been playing them for almost twenty years, you just shrug it off knowing it could be a LOT worse.
    Malice Leader - Raging Tides

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Genghiskhan - Heavens Tear
    Genghiskhan - Heavens Tear Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mr Tech Guru know it all....Sylen...

Thats the one I am referring to. Google it. 4th result ties it to PW

If a top 10 hit on google can even tie the junk to PWE, clearly its a little closer to them then you would like to believe.

Regardless of if it is them or not, you'd think they could at least issue some sort of statement saying "Hey, we get it, working on it"
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mr Tech Guru know it all....Sylen...

Thats the one I am referring to. Google it. 4th result ties it to PW

If a top 10 hit on google can even tie the junk to PWE, clearly its a little closer to them then you would like to believe.

Regardless of if it is them or not, you'd think they could at least issue some sort of statement saying "Hey, we get it, working on it"

Before you go insulting me, you should actually read what I said in my post.

From the traceroute's I've seen, that's not a server showing an issue, or even a regional router showing an issue, but the last hop before ping requests are denied by the equipment on PWE's end for security reasons.

I don't have time to go into it deeper, but I'll come back to this discussion in a couple of hours with some more info once I've gotten home from work and had a chance to analyze more traceroutes. So far, though, I haven't seen a traceroute that shows that particular hop is having an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OK, making a new post since this has a lot of information.

First, I'm going to assume, (because you've given me nothing better to work with), that the issues you're pointing out with that hop are originating from this thread.

With that in mind, we'll take a look at each post....

Post 1

That's a pretty clean trace. Overall there isn't a major ping spike at all, and the only discrepancy is after you hit PWE's ISP. Which is understandable.

He also didn't use just the standard windows ping, but instead used a program called PingPlotter, which is actually sending the pink to the endpoint IP address instead of through the DNS address routing. That will net slightly different results and they are usually more positive.

In any case, that isn't showing an issue at all, and is a very nice clean ping.

Post 2

Now this guy has some serious issues, and they aren't on the end by the server.
    The first couple of hops will almost always be the shortest. Both in distance, and in ping response. Even using Wifi, your first ping should never be more than 10ms, and on a wired connection never more than 5. Then you've got from your router/modem to your ISP, which should have similar numbers and I would never expect to see it above 10ms without some major storm or other interference ocurring.

sontzu first FIVE hops all average out to about 450ms per hop! I mean seriously, my grandmother knows that's not a good sign and she'd be calling AT&T to have a look.

After those ridiculously laggy first 5 hops, the pings are closer to 140ms, which isn't that bad considering it's shooting across the atlantic ocean.

The pings stop at hop 12 because the hardware beyond those points is set to deny standard ping requests to prevent DDoS attacks. That's not a sign of an issue, that's normal.

Post 3

Once more, we have a fairly normal output, with one exception.
    Hop 4 on VulcanStars trace isn't returning a result. Now if the numbers following it showed a huge spike, then we might say that particular device is having an issue. However there isn't a noticeable change in the route, so it's most likely that that device just isn't returning ping requests. (Much like the PWE devices.)

Again, it times out after hitting PWE's ISP, and we're not going to go over that detail again. I already feel like a parrot.

Post 4

With ZetsumieX's, it starts out great, and then we hit a big spike between hops 8 and 9. Want to guess what that spike was? An international trunk line from Europe to the US.

Once again, a rather un-eventful route with a max ping of 123ms, which is actually pretty damn nice, especially for crossing an ocean. (I have trouble getting numbers that good just crossing the US.)

Post 5

KingCrash shows us one of the best traces so far. No issues in the route, and the highest ping is 34ms.

Post 6

tuvlo posted twice, and they're almost identical, so I'm skipping post 7. This is an interesting one, but it's still nothing more than I would expect. His route starts in Greece, Gets up to Great Britan where it has an issue at hops 6 and 7. Hard to say if there's really a problem there, or if it's just devices not responding to ping requests. Most likely it's the latter though. After that it's hard to analyze the route because those devices are using dynamic IP addresses, but it's most likely that the route has crossed the ocean to the US at that point. It then continues pretty much like the rest, showing no signs of issues in the route itself.

That's pretty much the end of that thread, and the only real data I can believe you're referring to.
    I was honestly hoping you had something legit here as far as an issue, so I could give you guys some information on what to do about it.
    Unfortunately, they're all pretty decent and normal looking traces with the exception of sontzu, who really needs to figure out what it is with their local network/PC/ISP that's causing the issue. (I can help with that if I get more details.)

Long story short, if that's all you've got, you don't have much and I'm rather disappointed. I was looking for a challenge, and it would have been nice to have a valid reason for investigating a way to wake PWE up. So far though, I'll i've got is all I've ever been given. A bunch of data that doesn't show a thing except someone has a local issue they need to look into.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tmllover
    tmllover Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When it all boils down to it. It is PWEs fault.

They are the ones who continue to use a sub par service, knowing full well that it is pretty much garbage.

PWE has the choice to change what provider they use, yet they dont, hence their fault.

I posted something similar to this (different thread) and it was deleted or removed, so I assume this will as well?
  • deathbytuna
    deathbytuna Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lol wow people rage quit over dcing after they spend countless dollars on the game..man I wish I had their pockets...well they probally maxed credit card though.Now they go else where and get lag/dc and rage quit..why not just take up a hobbie like cliff jumping instead?..
  • TheMVP - Heavens Tear
    TheMVP - Heavens Tear Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lol wow people rage quit over dcing after they spend countless dollars on the game..man I wish I had their pockets...well they probally maxed credit card though.Now they go else where and get lag/dc and rage quit..why not just take up a hobbie like cliff jumping instead?..

its much bigger than that, right now sancutuary server crashed every other server on list has ping in the red, on Heavens tear people are disconnecting every minute, random users getting huge ping spikes, as I been saying all along there is something much bigger going on and wrong on the PWI end and who knows the cause, for me its not a hub its something much deeper than that, but since the problem has been ignored it seems to be getting worse. With all the issues today affecting every server, with east coast serves going down for over a day this week, and a large % of players having odd crippling lag, are people ready to admit theres a problem yet that PWI needs to look into? whether PWI is having problems with its ISP or their getting pinged attacked cyber attacked or something. theres clearly an issue much bigger than a reginal router or hub going on that needs to be looked into. People seem to want to ignore the problem but its getting worse. It should have been looked into 12 days ago and maybe all the problems east coast servers had, and Sancutuary is having today as well all the servers being in the red with lag today could have been avoided.
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options

Well they have the right to complain, since they invested so much money to keep this game going. Js. I'm not a cash shopper FYI.
  • XXxICExXx - Morai
    XXxICExXx - Morai Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nice Post Sylen b:victory

Trust me there are games out there, newer ones that stink worse than this. I'm not allowed to name names but a big one released recently u had to wait upto 5 hours just to get on a server, this is everytime you played. Some people even paid $120 for "founder" packs that gave them early access and some other overpriced ****. I managed to get on once over their 5 day open beta for 10 minutes then got kicked off. I sympathise with people on the other side of the pond who struggled to get on during the last outage but its hardly worth quitting over. Yah i understand its one thing in a bigger list of other things but I hardly think the game is screwed. Although I'm reserving judgment until PWI2 comes out before I decide.
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well they have the right to complain, since they invested so much money to keep this game going. Js. I'm not a cash shopper FYI.

This game is not an investment. It is entertainment. When one plunks down $10 for a movie ticket at a theater they are not investing in the movie.

As for the internet issues I highly doubt PWI is going to build their own private internet network nodes and hubs and fiber optic data lines. They are going to continue to use leased lines like everyone else out there. Maybe people should stop watching all that **** on the net the bandwidth would be adequate.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Highestelf - Heavens Tear
    Highestelf - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When you have been playing them for almost twenty years, you just shrug it off knowing it could be a LOT worse.

WHAT MMO existed 20 years ago?

I've been playing with computers for over 20 years, and I can assure you there was NOTHING in the computer gaming world 20 years ago (or even remotely close) that compares to MMO (or any pc game for that matter) today.

20 years ago:

Ram was still being sold in kb's and MB ram was limited to businesses and geeks that could justify $100+ per Meg!

HD capacity was measured in MB, GB wasn't an option!

VERY FEW people had anything more than dial up, on slow Modems!

PC processors were barely better than what you find on a current pocket calculator.

In 1994 ALL PC games were MSDOS based, because of Microsoft's failed design for memory management, it took a geek to literally manipulate memory address designations to access extended and upper memory regions.

MS-DOS 6.21 was the newest OS and Windows 3.11 was all the rage, which was nothing more than a GUI shell on top of MSDOS.

There were NO MMO's back then - we were playing First Person shooter games, such as Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D.

Tell me how the likes of Duke Nukem compares to today's MMO which are measured in many GB's of data; at the very least.

Back then the largest SOFTWARE program was likely the OS (less than 1 meg of data) or office suites.

WoW didn't come out until 2004

Don't get me wrong, there were graphically stunning games coming out, such as Myst for the MAC, but that nor others can not be compared to MMO's.

This is NOT intended as flaming you. However, your comment did conjure memories of the old days. I can still recall creating my own local BBS service and overcoming claims that I could not make 4 modems work in my PC. 4 modems allowed me to have 4 active members online at the same time, it was AWESOME!!! I had just started deploying a Windows based BBS software, as a Beta tester, when AOL began spewing out FREE disks in the mail for their services. Needless to say, it was time to throw up my hands and say **** it!!
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    WHAT MMO existed 20 years ago?

Neverwinter Nights?

Granted they didn't really get close to what we currently call a MMO til 97 so 20 years is a bit much but... eh. /shrug
    (Insert fancy image here)
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First 3D MMO was Meridian59. Circa 1995. (I started in the Alpha test and was a GM there until shortly after it went live.)

Prior to that there were a couple of 2D MMO's but they were a bit short on the first M.

Edit: Just a side note, Meridian59 is still alive. I even play it sometimes still. That game has some of the best PvP mechanics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First 3D MMO was Meridian59. Circa 1995. (I started in the Alpha test and was a GM there until shortly after it went live.)

Prior to that there were a couple of 2D MMO's but they were a bit short on the first M.

Yeah. Still a bit too early for us to call it 20 years but since it's almost 2015 close enough. xD
    (Insert fancy image here)