Why do sin skills have 4.5m range?

Bezdna - Dreamweaver
Bezdna - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Assassin
I just started toying around with the sin and this feels like one of those assassin secrets known only to pros. There must be a reason the skills (most of them) have a short range, but I'm not sure I really get it.

I can see uses for having range, especially on skills that negate the opponent's first action... but then you still waste a second of your debuff because you have to spend that time to walk up to the enemy. Probably, if it's really necessary to initiate a surprise attack, you would be teleporting directly to the enemy anyway, at which point, you don't need any range on the skills.

Is there something I'm missing?
Post edited by Bezdna - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• peckked
    peckked Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You're not missing anything. I think it was intended as a highlight to those skill with which it applies. Either that or they were just trying to drive people to endgame weapons. At the same time, skills like Head Hunt, Tackling Slash, Cursed Jail, Elimination would be significantly less useful in most situations if their range were to be limited to the same 2.5 default melee range.

TT99Gold and TT100Red daggers both have +2 Range, as do R9(++) and Warsoul(+), which extend the melee range from 2.5m to 4.5m to match the range of the skills you're talking about. NV2/3 and r8r also can get range as one of their random attributes.

If you don't have one of these weapons, in PVE it's best to just move closer before using these skills. Rib Strike (assuming you don't have the primal upgrade) is a great opener as it brings you into melee range. In PVP, you typically want to be standing on top of your enemy if at all possible anyway.
  • Bezdna - Dreamweaver
    Bezdna - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Ah, thank you for that clarification! I didn't consider that some daggers come with range, but that makes sense.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seems like it is very important to me.

If you'd have zero range, youd probably have to stand pixel perfect on the same place as your enemy.
    The more range you have, the easier it should be to hit your enemy when hes moving.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.