Best class to duo with veno?

anaovt1
anaovt1 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Venomancer
My best friend wants to start new chars together, and he's set on playing a veno. I was just wondering what class pairs well with veno. Something other than cleric, that's my main, and please give reasons for why it's best.

A couple people in my faction mentioned archer.

Edit: I also have a high lvl mystic, so preferable something else. Although mystic does seem like a decent match.
Camlyra-Raging Tides. Since the avatar is broken.

Cleric 103/103/102
Seeker 102/102/101
Wizard 101/101/101
Psychic 102/99
Post edited by anaovt1 on

Comments

• Slivaf - Dreamweaver
    Slivaf - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A mystic doesn't sound like a bad idea, perhaps not the best idea, but definitely a decent idea.

More heals for the pets/'summons' :) Plus there will be no damage reduction on ? mobs/bosses, for the pets/summons.

^^

Other than that I really don't think I could go into much more depth about it.
    Ah, Mistakes are so easily made. ~ laura resnick

What kind of message are you sending when you insult my intelligence? ~ Me ~ 5/29/2015 (Yes it is possible someone said this before just no idea who/where.)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would say Mystic for these reasons:

- Venomancers can heal Mystic summons and Mystics can heal Venomancer pets.

- The Mystic can heal itself and the Venomancer if needed.

- The Venomancer can be the debuffer for the Mystic to DD.

- Venomancers have a variety of pets and Mystics have summons for different situations... a DD pet and Storm Mistress will provide great DD power, a tank pet healed by both the Mystic and the Venomancer can help in duo'ing bosses (sometimes the Mystic should be able to tank itself).

- You've already played Cleric so you won't have issues getting used to playing a healing class..however Mystics are also a DD class so you don't have to always sit back and heal, instead you can run in the front lines and go crazy (some people see Mystics mostly as DDs, others mostly as healers..in reality they can do both effectively).

The rest of the classes don't have any particular 'advantage' duo'ing with a Venomancer throughout the leveling/questing process.

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • anaovt1
    edited June 2014
    The extra heals would be nice, but I feel like there's probably something better matched. Plus I also have a high lvl mystic already b:chuckle

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2014
    anaovt1 wrote: »
    The extra heals would be nice, but I feel like there's probably something better matched. Plus I also have a high lvl mystic already b:chuckle

Hmm..in that case, I don't really know b:surrender I'd say pick something you find interesting and would like to try out. Venomancers lack AOE power (unless they have a Harpy pet), at least until endgame where their damage is high so monsters die either way, so maybe something like a Psychic/Blademaster/Seeker might be interesting.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    The best partner for a veno is easily a mystic or a second veno.

Mystic for the reasons listed above and the second veno for most of them as well.

Thing is, a veno was more of a solo/support class and even in squads it sticks to that role. Since the basics really haven't changed much, the best partner for a veno is a class that helps its strengths... but if you're duoing things, the best choice is something that helps support the pets. Venos aren't exactly going to cover the weaknesses of any other class for the type of symmetry you'd get with something like sin + seeker or cleric + barb.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Saibai - Raging Tide
    Saibai - Raging Tide Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Mystic all the way. A mystic's role is so divers that I find if the person playing it knows what they are doing can be the best partner in crime out there.

My reasons why.

[1.] Heal's solo, group, AOE plants and pets . (BTW as a veno at least back when I started the game I haven't tested after the most recent update you can heal a mystics plants.)
    [2.] Self Res making you guys more independent.
    [3.] DDing together between the two of you debuffs, amp, pets, plants you two will have a small army.

That's not favoritism talking either. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saibai 103/102/100 Celestial Sage Mystic (main)b:victory
    Saiichi 101/100 Celestial Sage Cleric
    Saijou 100 Demon Sin
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014

[1.] Heal's solo, group, AOE plants and pets . (BTW as a veno at least back when I started the game I haven't tested after the most recent update you can heal a mystics plants.)

Mystic and veno can heal each other's pets, but not the plants.

Ofc a mystic would be the best, but beside cleric and mystic any other won't matter much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Vedovis - Lost City
    Vedovis - Lost City Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would suggest mystic as my first choice, however if you're after a physical class then duoing with a blademaster is very quick and fun. I have done many instances with just a BM and it goes very smoothly and fast :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

| Signature made by Fishy!~ | Semiretired |
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    OPKossy wrote: »
    The best partner for a veno is easily a mystic or a second veno.

Mystic for the reasons listed above and the second veno for most of them as well.

Thing is, a veno was more of a solo/support class and even in squads it sticks to that role. Since the basics really haven't changed much, the best partner for a veno is a class that helps its strengths... but if you're duoing things, the best choice is something that helps support the pets. Venos aren't exactly going to cover the weaknesses of any other class for the type of symmetry you'd get with something like sin + seeker or cleric + barb.

I think exactly the same as this.
    Mystics would probably be a better choice than a veno just to get different buffs (and invigorate is one of the best buff for PVE stuff).
    I don't think any other class would match as well (clerics could have for some reasons (heal, buffs, metal damage on wood type mobs), but a little less and you said youwanted another class).
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Testxvl - Sanctuary
    Testxvl - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    On the earlier gameplay I always liked mystics, but I'm getting more and more happy for teaming up with blademasters now. Maybe its also because I dont really know any mystics anymore, its a rare class
    This is a test
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am biased since im with a very good BM on my side most of the time. But ye i think BMs are very good to team up with by definition. They are so versatile. Good at single target and AOE. Morrows for magic or phys. stuns, hf.
    But i do think they are also the most complicated class to play.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • anaovt1
    edited June 2014
    But i do think they are also the most complicated class to play.

Yeah, I agree there. BM is pretty much the only class I haven't been able to get past lvl 20. Mostly because there's just so many options for weapon type and build.

I guess I could try it, though. What build/wep would you suggest for a first-time BM? Or are there any particularly good guides out there?

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    BMs usually use both fist/claw and axe/hammer.

That means you need the dex to use that fist/claw. 188/193 or 200 for the extra point of crit if you wish. The rest of the stat points is for str if your refines are enough or partly vit if your gear is low refined. You can then after rebirthing go for base vit when your gear is better.

For APSing theres 2 gear options:
    • cheap: the standard ashuras/lionheart + cape + g15 pants
    • less cheap: R8r with -int on chest and boots.

For your axe work you prefer full HA. Espescially if you want to pvp you should have a full set of G16 or R9 depending on your budget.

This means swapping gear when you want to APS. If you are pretty much PvE only, you could choose to do with only 1 gear set. R8r with -int is a decent compromise and enough to also do the pulling and aoe work. No need to swap gears then.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Saibai - Raging Tide
    Saibai - Raging Tide Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Mystic and veno can heal each other's pets, but not the plants.

Ofc a mystic would be the best, but beside cleric and mystic any other won't matter much.

If you were misunderstanding me a mystic cant heal their own plant but a Veno can heal a mystic's plants. b:chuckle

Example : http://youtu.be/kmvyfe703Hc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Saibai 103/102/100 Celestial Sage Mystic (main)b:victory
    Saiichi 101/100 Celestial Sage Cleric
    Saijou 100 Demon Sin
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2014

If you were misunderstanding me a mystic cant heal their own plant but a Veno can heal a mystic's plants. b:chuckle

Example : http://youtu.be/kmvyfe703Hc

Wow, I had no idea O.o Thanks for sharing!
  • UnboundFury - Dreamweaver
    UnboundFury - Dreamweaver Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would suggest mystic as my first choice, however if you're after a physical class then duoing with a blademaster is very quick and fun. I have done many instances with just a BM and it goes very smoothly and fast :)

I have a veno friend and whenever we duo FC or PV I feel we compliment each other well. I am a Blademaster.
    IMO, we are both pretty freakin' awesome so YRMV b:victory
  • Alphaben - Raging Tide
    Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd say either Mystic for reasons other people have already pointed out or a seeker, BM or another veno

Reason for seeker:

Seeker has Soul Shatter (100% damage increase at lv10 with 50% crits from fire/earth attacks+sage versions 150% extra) and Mindshatter (100% damage increase at lv10 50% bonus wood/water damage +sage version gives 50% crits for all attacks)

Both of these coupled with the defensive debuffs from Soulsever Minuet/Northensky Waltz stances can easily make it so that your veno (or your pet) can dish out massive amounts of damage regardless of build

Reason for BM (not sure if this little tidbit has been said by someone else) but the BM not only has HF, but also Glacial Spike, which in it's demon form does 50% crits+a slightly weaker but longer lasting debuff similar to HF

Those were my preferences anyway, I was a HA veno so that might've changed a few things...b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The best partner for a veno is a barbarian. Barbs are way better than any legendary pet b:chuckle
  • Rixoth - Archosaur
    Rixoth - Archosaur Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've always liked duoing with archers the best, not sure why- and never really stopped to think about it, but just have noticed that when duoing with archer things go real smooth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumish - Harshlands
    Mumish - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    b:chuckle

well everyone said mystic but i would recommend a bm.

*a bm is not squishy so u can freely use bramble on him.

*a bm is a melee char so he can do awesome damage with this combo:

veno amps
    veno uses ironwood (or redstone venomworm better ofc)
    bm explodes 3 spark
    veno gives chi to bm
    bm uses dg.

2 of them with this combo can kill bosses in seconds.

* bm has aoe stun veno has aoe stupify combo is like,

veno brambles bm,goes into fox form
    bm lures,stuns,
    veno deals myriad rainbow on fox form
    bm dgs
    right on time with dg animation veno uses parasitic nova
    if needed bm and veno continues aoe with noxious gas and aoe bm skills.

* a bm is a powerful char with spark+dg and veno is the only partner that makes him able to do it right after the spark. (some bms use cloud eruption or chi pots for it)

* pets, not even evolved herc cant tank the hard-*** big bosses. but bm with bloodpaint and veno debuffs can. because bloodpaint heal is effected with damage and with a veno bm hits more.

*a bm also can team up with ur cleric awesome.
  • BungaSakura - Raging Tide
    BungaSakura - Raging Tide Posts: 902 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    b:chuckle

well everyone said mystic but i would recommend a bm.

*a bm is a melee char so he can do awesome damage with this combo:

veno amps
    veno uses ironwood (or redstone venomworm better ofc)
    bm explodes 3 spark
    veno gives chi to bm
    bm uses dg.

2 of them with this combo can kill bosses in seconds.

* bm has aoe stun veno has aoe stupify combo is like,

veno brambles bm,goes into fox form
    bm lures,stuns,
    veno deals myriad rainbow on fox form
    bm dgs
    right on time with dg animation veno uses parasitic nova
    if needed bm and veno continues aoe with noxious gas and aoe bm skills.

* a bm is a powerful char with spark+dg and veno is the only partner that makes him able to do it right after the spark. (some bms use cloud eruption or chi pots for it)

* pets, not even evolved herc cant tank the hard-*** big bosses. but bm with bloodpaint and veno debuffs can. because bloodpaint heal is effected with damage and with a veno bm hits more.

*a bm also can team up with ur cleric awesome.

this makes me dont wanna duo with BM
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited June 2014

Do you really think that a mystic is squishier than a BM relying on bloodpaint "heals"?
    It made my day b:laugh
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Mumish - Harshlands
    edited June 2014
    this makes me dont wanna duo with BM
    Do you really think that a mystic is squishier than a BM relying on bloodpaint "heals"?
    It made my day b:laugh

b:shutup

i dont understand this replies. yea i know mystic is an awesome class. but im a veno for 5 years. and yea, i always choose bms to duo with.

i do insist on bm.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited June 2014
    b:shutup

i dont understand this replies. yea i know mystic is an awesome class. but im a veno for 5 years. and yea, i always choose bms to duo with.

i do insist on bm.

I'm not saying BM+veno is a bad duo, but talking about squishiness was not a really good argument, specially just after mentionning mystics :)

That being said we're talking about PVE stuff so any class with any class would be efficient anyway, so that's not a big deal. But your argument did make me laugh.

By the way, i often see people talking about bp when talking about doing stuffs with a BM/seeker/barb, but this means you have to bring a sin along (or ask for a buff every hour praying not to be purged). I'm not sure we can talk about "duo" in this case if a third class is needed to buff.
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
  • Mumish - Harshlands
    edited June 2014
    b:cute didnt knew that we were talking about pvp in here. because people were talking about healing same tank pet. this is main reason i didnt mention any combo about pvp.

making a buff char is not a big work though. its not worth to login logoff usually, i know but on a bm bp is a must have.

b:surrender
    i was just saying veno debuffs work better with physical chars because ironwood is pdef decrease. it would be more than nice if demon one is proc'ed.

bm dg.

archers have a skill like dg that u can use with amp.

even seeker would be a nice adding to veno because seeker debuffs can work with amp and ironwood.

veno is basically a debuff /dot class. so adding debuffs on top of eachother suits veno in my honest opinion.

ofc everyone has their own style of playing, but i do choose melee people by myside usually, maybe its the main reason i donno what it means to squad up duo with a mystic, i like them in the parties though.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2014

I'm not trying to argue with your point of Ironwood/Redstone and melees but don't forget pets can learn Howl which is a 36% magical defence debuff which is as good as Sage/Demon Elemental Seal (Cleric's 35% debuff).

The drawback is that it's 5 seconds shorter (or 10 if Sage) and the skill's cooldown is 30 sec compared to Cleric's 3 sec. It's still pretty good especially if you rotate both Myriads and have Howl ready if the former fails to proc.

Of course the Myriads are available at lvl79 and maxed Howl is available at lvl80. However, you can get lvl4 Howl as soon as you hit lvl60 (well, the pet does) and it sits at 32% debuff which is still as good as Cleric's lvl10 Elemental seal (30%, max out at lvl64). Lvl3 Howl available at lvl40 is exactly the same as Cleric's lvl9 Elemental Seal (28%) which is obtained at lvl 59. At lvl40, the Cleric's skill will only be 20% compare to the pet's.

BM's is 50% (60% if Sage/Demon) but require 2 spark . Mystic's creeper's is also 20%. Seekers also have 50% or 30% if it's just lvl10, but comes into 3 different skills that have some variations so it's harder to compare.
    I'm just comparing Howl to the other magic defence debuffs. Not necessarily how it compares as a duo.

At level 40 your pet's Howl will be really nice (and usually higher % debuff than others) until other classes catch up but it's still not something to ignore.

Assuming the players actually play and not powerlevel through FCC XD.

Side note; Demons have a 30% wood debuff which greatly benefits Mystics (the OP stated they already have one so they are looking for another class, but just saying) and Barbarians using their wood skill thingy buff.

• Mumish - Harshlands
    edited June 2014
    woo desdi was a nice answer with all the infos yummy.

yea i do have howl on 2 of my pets at max lvl.

you are right, i didnt think about "developing the char" phase, questing around is ofc alot different then high lvl instances.

wanna add here a bm should prefer using 2 sparks on dg instead of glacial though.

i think the friend can try out any char and continue with the one he likes most. playing the class you like is really important on success.

b:shutup sorry guys if i talk too much, i usually dont come in forum.

im sage, donno about the wood debuff. if so yea mystic has wood too.b:surrender
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Speaking of Howl... you can tame a Lunar Lupin at level 49 (just across the bridge NE of Arrowhead Manor), which has level 5 Howl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • anaovt1
    edited June 2014
    Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Think I'm gonna go with seeker no matter what he chooses, I've been wanting to make one. I have a sin for BP so that's not an issue.

Cleric 103/103/102
    Seeker 102/102/101
    Wizard 101/101/101
    Psychic 102/99