ok, answer me this question if arc is so good for the game

Options
theusurper
theusurper Posts: 32 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
why cant i log out of 1 account and into another account if both accounts are being handled on the same computer. you programming geniuses and your selling point of everything "real time", roflmao. you guys dont get to sell my information, cause i taught my firewall which parts of arc program not to have access to net 24/ 7. i get an error window once in a while when the program tries uploading info, but i can still play the game. now it is basically a useless piece of trash program cluttering my proccessor, enjoy the information you dont get to sell from me pwi.

took me a few tries to figure out which processes could and couldn't be blocked for game play but i got it now. dont just point and click to give dumb *** programs unlimited access to your computer.
Post edited by theusurper on

Comments

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    So much rage but yet you installed it. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The amount of stupidity displayed in the OP is astounding.

You realize you can play this game entirely without even having Arc installed right?
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The amount of stupidity displayed in the OP is astounding.

You realize you can play this game entirely without even having Arc installed right?

I doubt he does. b:laugh
    I have uninstalled Arc from chrome and firefox too, I run my life very fine without Arc in my way, once in a while I go and get like 7 blessings and done.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theusurper
    edited June 2014
    Options
    everytime i install pwi it installs automaticlly with it, and i actually dont play much anymore i let the culti do my grinding for me. ive been looking for a new game, reading a book, or spending time with my family. angry isnt the term i'd use for the feelings i have for this game, i'd say more disappointed. when i finally find a game that i like, i'll more than probably stop playing this game altogether too just like the others ive stopped playing. i wont bad mouth the game, but i won't sing it any praises either. here is the end of me cryin pity for the game till i find a new one.

oh and i use comodo dragon for a search engine, it doesnt let the programs run, as far as i can tell. which as you can see isn't far because i make things from metal and occaisionally build a computer because i think wouldn't it be cool if it could do this, or that or something else. software isnt my bag
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You can play PWI (the old way) without using ARC
    There r so many guides and tips in this forum how to do it- all you need to do is not be lazy and search for it!!

Only time when i used ARC is to redeem code/ update after maintenance
  • theusurper
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You can play PWI (the old way) without using ARC
    There r so many guides and tips in this forum how to do it- all you need to do is not be lazy and search for it!!

Only time when i used ARC is to redeem code/ update after maintenance

that seems redundant to me, why do something over and over again? they dont get paid if they dont get information to sell. if it is as annoying to you, as it is to me (you remove it) i'd say the server knowing the information is there it just cant reach it is a far more effective measure of telling the owners of pwi no, bad dog. deleting the program still sends the info for the short period it is installed they get paid for info they have, not info they know is there but cant get too. sooner or later they'll put something in the eula about it, but it isn't today
  • Dblazen - Dreamweaver
    Dblazen - Dreamweaver Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    theusurper wrote: »
    that seems redundant to me, why do something over and over again? they dont get paid if they dont get information to sell. if it is as annoying to you, as it is to me (you remove it) i'd say the server knowing the information is there it just cant reach it is a far more effective measure of telling the owners of pwi no, bad dog. deleting the program still sends the info for the short period it is installed they get paid for info they have, not info they know is there but cant get too. sooner or later they'll put something in the eula about it, but it isn't today

Are you wearing your tinfoil hat by any chance today?
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options

I never had any serious problems with ARC actually o.o
    I kinda did felt lil lag one time so i just decide not to use it. I have it installed always- i mean i don't remove/delete it..i just don't use it.

I log in PWI the old way - elementclient Shortcut-

I never put any money in this game and i never will. So i cant complain rly
  • skullterror
    skullterror Posts: 44
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I Have no problems in playing using Arc. No problems in dual client using Arc. I dont need to unistall it, or to find a way to open the game without Arc. Maybe, i repeat maybe is not Arc the reason for not be able to play as you wish. Maybe is your computer .b:laugh
  • Hisiala - Morai
    Hisiala - Morai Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the internet.

Btw, can anyone explain to me what kind of information the OP (and everyone like him/her) thinks PWI is selling? I'm curious.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If they are not selling or collecting information about you,
    a better question would be why is it set to start with windows as default and why does it Terminate and stay resident after closing PWE games if its not needed then.

1. So that I can open it faster?

What with the latest machine and windows 8.1 precaching like mine, I save a few Nanoseconds, just. lol.

2. To collect information about the players PC usage to improve the delivery of the service?

Once again why when not using any PWE game does it need to collect information about me personally ?

3. To provide a centralized delivery point for information and gifts?

Well you could have done that by just providing a link to a place similar to Core but better designed.

I got no choice either use Arc or miss out on the goodies.
    So as I really end up with no choice because if I bypass it I will be at a disadvantage unless I sometimes use it to keep getting the normal goodies.

So where does this leave someone like me.
    I think that, if its good for the goose to say comply or no goodies, then its ok for the gander to say stuff you I do not need your goodies and you obviously think you do not need my money.

I will not be back till Arc is truly optional and does not require a work around to use.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Verenor - Morai
    Verenor - Morai Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    why cant i log out of 1 account and into another account if both accounts are being handled on the same computer. you programming geniuses and your selling point of everything "real time", roflmao. you guys dont get to sell my information, cause i taught my firewall which parts of arc program not to have access to net 24/ 7. i get an error window once in a while when the program tries uploading info, but i can still play the game. now it is basically a useless piece of trash program cluttering my proccessor, enjoy the information you dont get to sell from me pwi.

took me a few tries to figure out which processes could and couldn't be blocked for game play but i got it now. dont just point and click to give dumb *** programs unlimited access to your computer.

1. You don't require Arc to play the game, most of us don't even have it installed anymore.
    2. (If) Arc does collect your info it does it no more than every other site you ever visit. Every site generates cookies with your browsing-information for that site, keeping track of personal preferences. (example: Airline tickets online. If you visit the same flight over and over, the price goes up for your ticket thanks to the saved cookies. Remove the cookies from your pc (something any pc-user should do regularly anyways) and you have your original, 'neutral' price back.
    3. If you find it stupid a dumb *** program registers such things maybe you should simply uninstall Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer (last one for sureb:laugh ) and any other browsers you might have installed as those 'programs' are also involved in such activities. To be 100% sure, unhook your pc from the modem and go back to playing offline PC games.

Just saying what you gotta do for what you want.

*edit*, as a lot of people here are unaware of Arc and speculating one after another, here's what you would've found using the Search Function first: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1657701&highlight=complete+analysis
  • Hisiala - Morai
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If they are not selling or collecting information about you,
    a better question would be why is it set to start with windows as default and why does it Terminate and stay resident after closing PWE games if its not needed then.

Arc is not the only program that once you install it, it opens when turning on the pc. There are hundreds, thousands of those programs. 99% of them have an option to turn this off. Arc is one of them. The other 1% doesn't have, but you can kill the startup process. Windows has a built-in program I think, but I do use another one I downloaded from the internet.

Btw, just like Verenor said, if you don't want your information collected, stored and used, the better place for you is to stay offline. Nowadays there are adds that are specifically chosen for you by checking what you searched online.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Arc is not the only program that once you install it, it opens when turning on the pc. There are hundreds, thousands of those programs. 99% of them have an option to turn this off. Arc is one of them. The other 1% doesn't have, but you can kill the startup process. Windows has a built-in program I think, but I do use another one I downloaded from the internet.

Btw, just like Verenor said, if you don't want your information collected, stored and used, the better place for you is to stay offline. Nowadays there are adds that are specifically chosen for you by checking what you searched online.

All the above is known by me, please do not judge me, by your own lack of knowledge, about my knowledge about PCs and the net. I am an a registered OEM Partner with Microsoft and have been coding, building, repairing and installing OSes since the 1970s. Through long experience I have learned how to not keep cookies for websites, nor to run any software other than what I need at that moment, mind you I do not mind if you all do, as I make a fair amount of cash from repairing other peoples machines when they allow these sort of vulnerabilities due to naivety.

So please do not judge me, by what you know about PCs.
    Its rude. b:shutup
  • Verenor - Morai
    edited June 2014
    Options
    All the above is known by me, please do not judge me, by your own lack of knowledge, about my knowledge about PCs and the net. I am an a registered OEM Partner with Microsoft and have been coding, building, repairing and installing OSes since the 1970s. Through long experience I have learned how to not keep cookies for websites, nor to run any software other than what I need at that moment, mind you I do not mind if you all do, as I make a fair amount of cash from repairing other peoples machines when they allow these sort of vulnerabilities due to naivety.

Its rude. b:shutup

Nobody judged you, All Hisi did was state facts about programs and Arc being far from unique. But hey let's all state our far extended history that absolutely, out of context, doesn't reflect back in our posts. Should brighten these forums straight up.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nobody judged you, All Hisi did was state facts about programs and Arc being far from unique. But hey let's all state our far extended history that absolutely, out of context, doesn't reflect back in our posts. Should brighten these forums straight up.

You infer in your post I should do further reading by quoting me and I am inferring that the complete guide is not complete, as I know of some processes/services that run in the background when Arc TSRs that are not even mentioned in there.

One other thing I do not care if you believe my history, but I am betting its not the one you pictured when you quoted me, and thats the actual point. b:laugh
  • Verenor - Morai
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You infer in your post I should do further reading by quoting me and I am inferring that the complete guide is not complete, as I know of some processes that run in the background when Arc TSRs that are not even mentioned in there.

One other thing I do not care if you believe my history, but I am betting its not the one you pictured when you quoted me, and thats the actual point. b:laugh

I'd like to formally welcome you to these forums then where quoting is used to make sure people don't misinterpret to whom the post was directed. With some threads having 30+ participants and no quoting, you can understand it can get quite complicated for the lesser literate people when people don't start their post by quoting the directed-to person.

I dont care for what you know, what you don't know, what you say to know. The only thing I will care for is people who come up with constructive criticism that's backed-up by evidence, not by qq.
    The Arc Analysis-thread is as complete as any player has come and shared with us. If you know more, feel free to add it to that thread for more people to dig in, and find work-arounds for as we've done in the past, instead of complaining here about Arc.
    PWI won't change Arc, they even integrated it further despite a flood of complaints here, it's up to the playerbase to work together to work around Arc.

For someone with that much 'experience' you sure seem to miss out on a lot.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Its hard to want to come up with any constructive help, when you post about a particular problem with ARC for a friend/customers PC, in a thread for that purpose that is stickied and shortly after the long stickied thread disappears and you get no replies to your questions, but suddenly see 2 ARC maints in 2 weeks.

Whats the point of posting. b:sad

A simple we will look into it would have been enough, but nothing?

Oh and I know about the ticket system, been down that road once or twice. lol
  • Hisiala - Morai
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks, Verenor, for saying something in a much better way than I could have ever hoped to do.

Its rude.

But yeah, I wasn't judging. You never stated were a computer wiz, that you are a partner with a certain big computer house and that you are doing this since the distant 1970.

I apologize. I must have forgotten my psychic/telepathic skills in bed this morning...
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You would think someone with that kind of background would be more familiar with how things work on the internet. Namely, that nobody gives a damn what you (claim to) do for a living. Other people may say they're not judging... well, I am. I judge by what I see, not by what qualifications you may or may not actually have, and what I have seen is you sounding like an idiot.

Arc is not "dangerous" in the way that you and your tinfoil hat buddy seem to enjoy claiming. I would tell you to crack out Wireshark and look for yourself to see, but you're a "Microsoft OEM Partner" (which, by the way, is a title reserved for organizations, not the individuals operating within them) doing all this fancy work for 44 years now (which puts you at, what, 60+?) so you should already know that yes?

Do I like Arc? Not really, I preferred the old website method for redeeming stuff, and unnecessary programs in general aren't my cup of tea, but other than opening it on rare occasion to spam myself with blessings I never even have to use Arc (nor does it run on startup since they give you a clear option to disable that) so it's not that much of a hassle.

Kindly take your BS elsewhere b:bye
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Well said, sir.

Sweetiebot, please award Jarkhen - Archosaur 10 points for truth.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »

Sweetiebot, please award Jarkhen - Archosaur 10 points for truth.
    OPKossy awards 10 points to Jarkhen - Archosaur!
    Jarkhen - Archosaur is now in 1st place for June 2014 with 10 points (18 points overall).

Check this thread for the current high scores and to learn how to award points to others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You would think someone with that kind of background would be more familiar with how things work on the internet. Namely, that nobody gives a damn what you (claim to) do for a living. Other people may say they're not judging... well, I am. I judge by what I see, not by what qualifications you may or may not actually have, and what I have seen is you sounding like an idiot.

Arc is not "dangerous" in the way that you and your tinfoil hat buddy seem to enjoy claiming. I would tell you to crack out Wireshark and look for yourself to see, but you're a "Microsoft OEM Partner" (which, by the way, is a title reserved for organizations, not the individuals operating within them) doing all this fancy work for 44 years now (which puts you at, what, 60+?) so you should already know that yes?

Do I like Arc? Not really, I preferred the old website method for redeeming stuff, and unnecessary programs in general aren't my cup of tea, but other than opening it on rare occasion to spam myself with blessings I never even have to use Arc (nor does it run on startup since they give you a clear option to disable that) so it's not that much of a hassle.

Kindly take your BS elsewhere b:bye
    Agreed. I even started a thread on it (previously mentioned within this thread), and have covered it in detail, along with ways to work around using Arc. (You don't HAVE to have that blessing to play, it's just a nice bonus.)

Sweetiebot, please award Jarkhen - Archosaur 10 points for telling it how it is.

If you've been on the forums, you guys should know that I know what the hell I'm talking about 98% of the time when it comes to the client, the way things work, and the way the company handles things.

If you can't see past your tin foil hat, get the hell off the internet. Seriously. Going to Amazon.com will give you more tracking cookies than the Arc platform does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options

Sweetiebot, please award Jarkhen - Archosaur 10 points for telling it how it is.
    SylenThunder - Sanctuary awards 10 points to Jarkhen - Archosaur!
    Jarkhen - Archosaur is now in 1st place for June 2014 with 20 points (28 points overall).
    SylenThunder - Sanctuary can still award another 20 points today.

Check this thread for the current high scores and to learn how to award points to others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Was just out poking around on LifeHacker, and came across this....

Ask an Expert: All About Online Privacy and Security
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2014
    Options
    First, you make assumptions again lol,
    Where did I state that I am not a member of, or an actual organization.

Second, your guess at my age is very close.

Third, I will point out that I did not point to my history to show you who I am (really, I could have wrote anything or pointed out the rest of my long boring history) once again that was not the point, only to show that you people are quick to judge others without any knowledge about them first, that was the point again lol

In none of this I have claimed Arc is harmful in fact point to one post where I have said its actually harmed anyone,

The way I see it is if there is no issue, why all the lack of answers , if there is nothing to see here then whats wrong with giving an actual answer.

I have made no claims about actual harm anywhere nor that they actually collect information in fact the only question I ever had is, what is Arc doing that requires about 1-2% extra cpu time and constant network data spikes every 20 seconds to the net, even when there are no PWE games running, and then when Arc is completely removed the activity goes and when Arc is reinstalled it begins again and then persists even after the games are closed.

Even the answer, its not meant to do that and we are looking into it would have been enough.
    In fact any answer would have been fine.
    This is a simple question.

I got no answer as usual, I am not, nor will ever claim to be an expert at anything, no matter what my certificates say, I am just not that stupid. lol.

I will continue to ask the so called experts for advice and wonder at their motivation when they refuse to answer a simple question.

Some things may have changed today but when I did my c++ coding at Uni it was considered poor coding to make a program boot with the OS and then to leave running processes and services after it was not needed, we were taught it is dirty/untidy coding.

I have never said Arc is bad, I even see that it is a benefit for those less computer literate users, and actually recommend it for some people, but when I am asked a question from someone, who I can only give generalized generic advice from personal experience and the net, its time to ask a so called expert, and when you get no answer, you just got to wonder whats going on.

In attacking me you are all missing the point lol

My personal issue.
    I get no choice to not install it without workarounds.
    Yep its that simple.

In not giving me the choice it shows that, they just do not give a damn about the users personal wants, what we may want, is not important to the Devs and this is the real problem, when the Devs are telling you whats good for you and not listening to what you may wish to pay for in the their game, it will inevitably lead to premature game closure and that would be a shame.

One other thing the way to tell a real expert from the rest is they ask others when they cannot answer a question themselves.
  • Hisiala - Morai
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Snippety-snip!

If you say all you just said, then why I had the strong impression you were the classic person with the tin foil hat you claim to not to be?

Perhaps you got more experience than me with computers and coding, but this is a forum. Written words are easily misunderstood because a forum post lack the tone of voice and facial expression that people use to better interpret something that has been said.

So yeah. Very easy to judge the wrong way, no matter what you say.

It's something you did too with my post. You assumed I was raising myself above you and telling you that you wear a tin foil hat when all I was doing was point out a fact that everyone with a little bit of computer knowledge should know.

So yeah. You have been rude to me too.

How are we going to deal with that?
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If you say all you just said, then why I had the strong impression you were the classic person with the tin foil hat you claim to not to be?

Perhaps you got more experience than me with computers and coding, but this is a forum. Written words are easily misunderstood because a forum post lack the tone of voice and facial expression that people use to better interpret something that has been said.

So yeah. Very easy to judge the wrong way, no matter what you say.

It's something you did too with my post. You assumed I was raising myself above you and telling you that you wear a tin foil hat when all I was doing was point out a fact that everyone with a little bit of computer knowledge should know.

So yeah. You have been rude to me too.

How are we going to deal with that?

If you think I have been rude, then I apologize, I just get sick of all the idiots running around telling everyone to search and assuming they have not already done so.
    I am very sorry if I gave the wrong impression that was not my intent.

One last comment, if anyone has a reason to feel paranoid it would be me. lol.
    I have actually been paid $38000 Aust dollars compensation for being locked up 3 times because of a misconception by the State Government of Tasmania and probably have more reasons to be suspicious than most of the conspiracy theorists out there, lol.

Even after all that, I still do not believe in the deliberate personal conspiracy theory and refuse to wear a tin hat.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I love Arc for the fact that we can redeem as many blessing as we want (though I'm prolly sure it could have been done without Arc).

I hate though that I need to log off my both game clients to log out Arc to log my other account to get a blessing.

For the rest Arc is pretty useless in my opinion so it doesn't really matter to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
This discussion has been closed.