JoSD vs DoD

GreenLegend - Archosaur
GreenLegend - Archosaur Posts: 343 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
First off: Yes I know, Jade of Steady Defense is +2 Defense levels while Diamond of Dragon is +1 Defense level. Overall, in 4-socket end game gear, the difference would be 24 Defense levels [JoSD (48 Def) - DoD (24 Def)].

Now the only way I could sort of test if it is worth it or not, was to take the O'Malley's blessing (+15 Atk/Def) on and off to test out how much I get hit (both PvE/PvP). I will have to say that in PvE there was little to an unnoticeable difference and in PvP there was a slight noticable difference but nothing to drop my jaw over.

So question here is: Would it be more cost efficient to just go for DoD's rather than JoSD's and still show decent defense? Or save up and get JoSD?

Notes:
This will probably be the last item on my list to get as it has the lowest cost-efficiency.
DoD = 60-70m
JoSD = 190-210m

P.S.: I tried using the search function as I thought this may be a popular topic to discuss, but either I failed to have seen it or was not searching the correct words, so sorry in advance if there is already a thread/guide on this.
Dreams are just dreams...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by GreenLegend - Archosaur on

Comments

• Samaranight - Sanctuary
    Samaranight - Sanctuary Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well speaking entirely from a PVE perspective, +24 Def levels on top of any other def level modifiers is already overkill for PVE, so you should stick with DoD if you're concerned about cost.

Of course if you want to be a god and take pitiful damage, JoSD it is..

but personally I wouldn't fill my armor with all DoD anyway.
  • LostPoet - Dreamweaver
    LostPoet - Dreamweaver Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Given that you are asking this question, you must not know about the feature they released a while ago.

You can imbue DoDs in everything, then use that DoD + 2 more DoD and transform your DoD to a JoSD while its already imbued in your gears. I believe you can do the same with DoT to Diety.

I think there is some item in the boutique you need (or maybe not) that allows you to do it. But i know its a very cost efficient method and have seen countless people on dreamweaver do this.

But yes, having full DoD vs nothing or low level shards such as flawless / immacs is much better.
    Yes, the extra Defense level for each JoSD does make a difference.

But you can do both. Shard DoD and then save for JoSD with that feature.

(Not sure if you can do it with Sapphires / Garnet gems to Icebourne / Drakeflame)

Hopefully someone can respond with more detail.
    YOUTUBE:
    youtube.com/user/lostpoetgaming

twitch LIVE STREAM + MORE VIDEOS:
    twitch.tv/thelostpoet/profile
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    According to Asterelle's Shard calculator, Full DoDs are inferior to Full Vit Stones in many cases.

But if you ever plan upgrading DoDs to JoSDs then Way to go, 24 def levels are still something.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Flawless citrines are even much more cost efficient than both.

The higher grade stuff you get, the less cost efficient it is. It is up to the player to decide how high his budget will allow him to go. Some players dont go beyond flawless citrines, others go for JOSD, and some in between.

There is not much more to answer to the question you ask. It is not something that anyone can answer for you, you have to decide yourself what you want to spend. Of course astrelles calculator could help you make more pricise cost efficiency comparisons on wich to base your decisions.

24 def levels btw is definately significant. I dont know how you barely notice the difference. I have had myself die, lose agro and my armageddon fail to kill the mobs it is supposed to kill (sometimes resulting in death again) all because i started fighting before noting my blessing ran out. And that is in PvE. Im pretty sure the difference must be very significant in pvp. 24% attack is pretty huge and should i think infleunce your win/loss chances with a comparable amount at least.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • GreenLegend - Archosaur
    GreenLegend - Archosaur Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the input, and I would have to assume in a PvP standpoint to test, I have to ask more people to poke me.

You can imbue DoDs in everything, then use that DoD + 2 more DoD and transform your DoD to a JoSD while its already imbued in your gears. I believe you can do the same with DoT to Diety.

I think there is some item in the boutique you need (or maybe not) that allows you to do it. But i know its a very cost efficient method and have seen countless people on dreamweaver do this.

If you could find out, that be amazing.
    Dreams are just dreams...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First off: Yes I know, Jade of Steady Defense is +2 Defense levels while Diamond of Dragon is +1 Defense level. Overall, in 4-socket end game gear, the difference would be 24 Defense levels [JoSD (48 Def) - DoD (24 Def)].

Now the only way I could sort of test if it is worth it or not, was to take the O'Malley's blessing (+15 Atk/Def) on and off to test out how much I get hit (both PvE/PvP). I will have to say that in PvE there was little to an unnoticeable difference and in PvP there was a slight noticable difference but nothing to drop my jaw over.

So question here is: Would it be more cost efficient to just go for DoD's rather than JoSD's and still show decent defense? Or save up and get JoSD?

Notes:
    This will probably be the last item on my list to get as it has the lowest cost-efficiency.
    DoD = 60-70m
    JoSD = 190-210m

P.S.: I tried using the search function as I thought this may be a popular topic to discuss, but either I failed to have seen it or was not searching the correct words, so sorry in advance if there is already a thread/guide on this.

Just shard vits. It's only a matter of time till the +20 vit stones come out anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • LostPoet - Dreamweaver
    LostPoet - Dreamweaver Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the input, and I would have to assume in a PvP standpoint to test, I have to ask more people to poke me.

If you could find out, that be amazing.

Flowing Crystals are what you need to convert DoDs to JoSD if they are already imbued.
    You can buy the packs from the boutique. Not sure how many you need, but I believe you can do it @ the PW Boutique agent or wang tsai. You'll have to get the details yourself.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/items/38204
    YOUTUBE:
    youtube.com/user/lostpoetgaming

twitch LIVE STREAM + MORE VIDEOS:
    twitch.tv/thelostpoet/profile
  • Cantabrum - Archosaur
    Cantabrum - Archosaur Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just shard vits. It's only a matter of time till the +20 vit stones come out anyway.

if i remember well noteven or china or private servers does like +20 vit stones since populaton think they to unbalanced
    yet i think they noteven on game anywhere i may by wrong on this part