Random Letter Name Character

Options
aciafillia
aciafillia Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Everyday now there is a person on different servers trying to get people to go to their website. Their name usually consists of random letters and they spam world chat all day. I have reported a character with a similar name like this before but it seems this particular person keeps coming back. They have even whispered my character.

I have mainly seen them on Raging Tide and Heaven's Tear. They keep trying to get people to go to that weird -snip- site. Once they trick a few people to give their information on that site, they go to their account and **** their items then impersonate as the individual and send messages to their friend's list to go to the website too.

Yes, I have had a friend make the mistake of being tricked by the person impersonating as one of their other friends; encouraging them to go to the site to get free +10 dragon orbs. So, this person sent messages to me and others by pretending to be my friend.

My friend lost all their coin and a legendary weapon but luckily didn't lose more, (like their armor, fashion, and anything in their bank) because they at least set their bank code. They did send in a ticket about being **** but there was nothing anyone could do except a GM help them reset their password. -.-

I don't know if this is one person or a whole group (like a faction) doing this but it's annoying. Some of us won't fall for this person's lies but each day the person world chats all day long. Of course I am not on all day but I have logged on in the morning then logged off only to come back in the evening to see them still world chatting about free or cheap gold. Yeah one can blacklist them but they change their characters often. Is there nothing that can be done to stop them?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    1. You shouldn't link that site here.

2. I cringe every time someone calls this "hacking". Going to some shady website and entering your own account information is not hacking. At least in my opinion it's not, but there are those that will argue it and are in the opinion that phishing == hacking. But that's besides the point.

3. This is happening on every server.

4. There's nothing we can do about it, PWE will have to do something against it to get rid of it, IP bans or whatever from where it's coming, but that probably won't stop it either.
    A solution would be to have actual active in-game gm's that can mute them from chat / ban them on the fly but that's never going to happen either.

What it comes down to is this:
    We'll have to live with it, as PWE won't deal with it.

People should know by now those sites will bring nothing but trouble...
    Soon™
    Well, maybe later, semi-retired.
  • SakuLv - Dreamweaver
    SakuLv - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I think each week GM bans the person , but he makes new character again.

I guess he is using proxy or something, that GM cant IP ban him D:
  • TZoner - Raging Tide
    TZoner - Raging Tide Posts: 1,764 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    4. There's nothing we can do about it, PWE will have to do something against it to get rid of it, IP bans or whatever from where it's coming, but that probably won't stop it either.
    A solution would be to have actual active in-game gm's that can mute them from chat / ban them on the fly but that's never going to happen either.

A solution would be to have actual active in-game gm

A solution would be

to have actual

active in-game gm

Nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaSquirrel - Sanctuary
    DaSquirrel - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options

A solution would be

to have actual

active in-game gm

Nuff said.

I totally agree, in my opinion there should always be a GM in game to stop this nonsense, but at the end of the day all the mods will say is ticket it b:sad, personally I do not agree with that line.
  • Elstraya - Heavens Tear
    Elstraya - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I tried sending in support tickets with screenshot of their chat...response from support was to just blacklist the user. It made me laugh because in the response they described how to blacklist someone...but it was instructions for another PWE game not PWI lol.

The toon I named in the ticket continued to spam for about a week after I sent ticket in.

So, I guess PWE are doing nothing about these scammers...they are not getting banned and we are just being told to ignore them.
  • aciafillia
    aciafillia Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    1. You shouldn't link that site here.

2. I cringe every time someone calls this "hacking". Going to some shady website and entering your own account information is not hacking. At least in my opinion it's not, but there are those that will argue it and are in the opinion that phishing == hacking. But that's besides the point.

3. This is happening on every server.

What it comes down to is this:
    We'll have to live with it, as PWE won't deal with it.

People should know by now those sites will bring nothing but trouble...

Sorry didn't mean to link the website causing people to go to it; I thought if I told the website that maybe a GM would investigate it. Once again, I apologize.