Celestial Sting/Illusory Thorn skills

Options
Shoshanne - Dreamweaver
Shoshanne - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Venomancer
Hi all,

Haven't seen much info on people's experience with the Celestial Sting/Illusory Thorn, skill-wise. I (like many I think) use this guy for ranged damage and sometimes for pulling (again, ranged).

What base skills have people found to work well? I'm guessing that all the attack & debuff skills are melee based like toxic mist, and therefore are usually useless on a ranged pet (though I could be wrong...). Are buff skills the best way to go on this guy?

I'm also curious as to what people have found to work well as moods for this pet. I recently evolved him and ended up with Earnest (no star)... I'm seriously considering rerolling, but I could see Earnest possibly being useful in NW, especially with higher skill levels.
Post edited by Shoshanne - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yeah.. all the offensive skills are melee range so I've never even considered them on it.

Maybe give it self-buffs but... I just don't really see a point to it considering most other pets would make better use of them and the major buff skills aren't really cheap.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Shoshanne - Dreamweaver
    Shoshanne - Dreamweaver Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Well, I'm not about to track down a Protect or Strong scroll for this pet if that's what you mean... lol.
  • Marengo - Lost City
    Marengo - Lost City Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What base skills have people found to work well?
    Best set of skills for this pet is absence of all skills, IMO. Main purpose of it is luring and skills only prevent you from luring well, because without them it attacks from distance, with skills turned on it tries to get close.
    Learning special skills or evolving it is waste of money and feral stars since there is nothing outstanding in its stats and we have a lot of much more useful pets to tame and spend resources on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/elmarise
    pw art ◊ tinyurl.com/q6ca7ar ◊
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'd only bother teaching it Claw to increase it's overall damage but I don't think it's worth investing so much on this pet. It has certain and rather limited uses. It's not bad but it is one of those pets that you have just for those certain reasons and nothing else.

Since you want the pet to use it's auto-attack (range) you can disregard all the moods that include Wraithslayer as it only affects skill damage. You can check this for moods that might interest you.

At most you could teach it things like Howl, magic defence debuff, to assist you and the squad but you'll have to remember to call it back or it will stay in melee range.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★