Need advice!

Schism - Harshlands
Schism - Harshlands Posts: 91 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Blademaster
Hi everyone

I played PWI years ago, around the time packs were released in the CS, basically around the time they screwed up the game for non cash shopping players. I've decided to return and whoah this games different. I have a few questions related to my class.

My BM is currently geared with a pair of calloused lionheart axes (is this even a good weapon anymore?! The **** I went through to be geared like this...I have a feeling its obsolete now) and a full TT90 set with 2 misty rings a sky demons pearl and the cape of tauren chieftain. Is this still good gear for my level? What would you have as an axe BM at my level?

Now this brings up the question, is an AXE only BM even viable anymore? Or should I reallly be using a hammer as well?

Here are my stats

Strength - 284

Vit - 152

Dex - 128

Mag 3

Am I able to go down the axe/hammer route with my stats the way they are? Or will I need to reallocate them?

One final question, non BM related. What are the new dailies? when I was around all we had was crazy stone and WQ. I heard its possible to level MUCH faster now, whats the recommend way to level up at level 93?
Post edited by Schism - Harshlands on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Great gear for your level still.... but pretty much anyone below 101 is nonfactor nowadays if you want to be competitive.

While axes are still viable-ish... you're really best off going multipath and taking advantage of all four weapon paths nowadays.

And leveling up is now extremely fast. Hyper EXP stones have an option that allows 12x EXP while they're activated. And that instance near Eden, the one abreviated FCC by most? That is a giagantic EXP instance. This is in addition to things like Bounty Hunter quests (Go into certain instances and kill bosses for large EXP rewards), Divince Contracts (kill certain mobs for EXP/Spirit/item rewards), the various daily events, and so on.

Also cube is a very doable thing that has become a lot less scary to many over the years.

I'm sure others can get far more in-depth but yeah... leveling is not an issue anymore. At all.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Axe/hammer only BMs are a rarity, fists/claws with high -interval gear was all the rage a couple years ago, though with anti-auto attack buffed bosses, and newer/more powerful gear not having much -interval on them, the 5APS fist build is pretty much relegated to TT farming, and FC experience room selling. That said, a good axe BM is appreciated in places like Delta.

New dailies... Bounty Hunter (not really new, this started before you quit, you probably remember it... kill a boss in an instance for a reward, three different ones available per day.) Not much has changed for this since it went 3 per day, though there have been some changes to instances (mostly removing doors from 39-79, and adding TT style hands on the short route in 79), and reshuffling BH100s.
    Roll Call... basically stay online for an hour. Reward is from the chest by your avatar.
    Xenomonster Hunt in OHT - again, not a new daily, but available at 90+. There are also other dailies in the other past maps, none give great experience. The Tears of Heaven are nice for crafting OHT sleeves/pants to decomp into perfect stones.
    Realm of Reflection... AFK for up to 12 hours per day if you have enough reflection shards, for experience ticks every minute. Reflection shards awarded from BH, Roll Call, Cube (another old daily), and the Morai timed daily (more on that later)
    Divine Contracts... 2, 3 or 5 available per day, depending on level range; at level 50+ these can be taken on turn in of BH1.
    Morai... new map, enterable at 95+. 3 orders to join to earn new skills and PVE oriented gear; one timed daily, 2 (or sometimes just 1, but with rewards equal to 2 normal quests) divine contracts, and a weekly, plus a weekly PVP event.
    If you're in a faction with a base, the base quests give good XP at 90+, and award mats and construction points to help the leader improve the base at 50+. The contribution points you earn doing these can be used to purchase services from the base, including buffs and training quests (though the mobs for the 90+ training quests are quite nasty.)
    Phoenix Valley - experience instance, enterable once per day through the agency of a 15 minute time limit token. The truly OP will solo it multiple times, getting other people or alts to enter and take the quest that populates the instance.
    Treasure Map... starting at level 60, Sharp Spear will sell you a treasure map, giving the location of a chest you must find. Digging the chest, once it is found, will spawn a boss who may drop the next higher level treasure map, or an item that can be traded for experience or reputation. The higher level item drops may also be traded for mystical tome fragments or chrono pages.
    For venomancers (not relevant to you) there's a level 100 daily to earn feral soul stars to evolve pets, or to retrain them once evolved.

At 100+, you can rebirth (can be done twice, currently) which sets you back to level 1 with bonus stats, how many depending on what level you were when you were reborn (the most bonus stats, 76, are awarded for rebirth at 105, but you won't lose out in the long run by being reborn earlier... there's a mechanism to increase your historical levels, awarding you the appropriate extra stat points you would have gotten if you'd been reborn at that level.) You can consider this as a free stat reset. You have a fast track back to 100 (4x XP from quests and mob kills from level 1 to 99 on first rebirth, 3.5x on second, with high XP quests every 10 levels.) This opens up new dailies in the new Primal World map.

There's also a number of high reward non-repeatables for low to mid levels that have been added in the past couple of years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Zanryu - Lothranis
    Zanryu - Lothranis Posts: 1,998 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi everyone

I played PWI years ago, around the time packs were released in the CS, basically around the time they screwed up the game for non cash shopping players. I've decided to return and whoah this games different. I have a few questions related to my class.

My BM is currently geared with a pair of calloused lionheart axes (is this even a good weapon anymore?! The **** I went through to be geared like this...I have a feeling its obsolete now) and a full TT90 set with 2 misty rings a sky demons pearl and the cape of tauren chieftain. Is this still good gear for my level? What would you have as an axe BM at my level?

Now this brings up the question, is an AXE only BM even viable anymore? Or should I reallly be using a hammer as well?

Here are my stats

Strength - 284

Vit - 152

Dex - 128

Mag 3

Am I able to go down the axe/hammer route with my stats the way they are? Or will I need to reallocate them?

One final question, non BM related. What are the new dailies? when I was around all we had was crazy stone and WQ. I heard its possible to level MUCH faster now, whats the recommend way to level up at level 93?

You "can" go down the Axe/Hammer road, however it's recommended you run the 3 Str/2 Dex build in order to use fists, and you should also try to farm an APS set which has become fairly cheap. Only higher end instances have anti-APS mechanics, and it's still valuable for every other aspect of the game.

Vitality is fairly useless for us, as we have plenty of HP anyway from shards/refines and our class really appreciates the extra accuracy from investing more points in Dexterity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks to the beautiful and talanted Zheii for the sigb:dirty

youtube.com/ZanryuPWI
    youtube.com/ZanryuGaming

I read the forums naked.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dont agree that vit is "fairly useless" when you are still in TT90 gear hoping to advance.

Vit provides a set number of hitpoints. (100 points = 1500 HP unbuffed = 2025 HP buffed)
    STR and dex increase your damage multiplier so they scale with your weapon. 150str will roughly translate into 20% dmg for the average BM.

Therefore, the higher your HPs from gear, the less valuable vit becomes. When you are a beginning sub 10k HP toon, vit is important. For any class. As i said though in your other post, you have statted too much and now lack the str and dex needed to carry your weapons.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi everyone

Here are my stats

Strength - 284

Vit - 152

Dex - 128

Mag 3

Damn, I remember you from years ago, way back when Xheart was still playing. Pretty cool to see such an old player :)

As far as gears go though, Calloused Lionhearts are no longer relevant. The gear progression since you quit had been

Molds- > TT90 > tt100 > pack lunars > Nirvana > R8 > Nirvana G16 recast = R9 > R9r > R9rr > Card sets (current iteration).

So yeah the bad news is - you're gear is completely outdated.

The good news is, R9 is fairly cheap compared to what it was in the past, and you get to skip several generations of gear if you decide to go for R9. Once you do get full R9 gear, R9r and R9rr is easily farmable within a couple weeks. Refines up to +8 are relatively cheap nowadays as well.

The main cost barrier then is the initial R9. You'll have to find some way to make income, either through CS, merchanting, or farming. It's (comparatively) easy after that, however.

You can also go for G16 Nirvana recast, but this gear has a cap on it's power, and you will always be second class to R9 players. I would not recommend investing in G16, however I won't deny that for people on an extreme budget, it's decent enough for pve, though it only barely holds up in PVP.

If you do decide to play again, I wish you good luck, this game is COMPLETELY different from when you played, it's almost like a whole 'nother game now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Be real though R9 may be cheaper than it has been, your still looking at 800 gold if everything bought on sale.

It is hard to farm that with a TT90 equiped toon.
    It is also hard to farm it if you start out with nothing.

some rough price comparisons assuming 1gold = 2m coin on your server ?

R9 = 1.600.000.000
    G16 = 300.000.000
    TT99 based APS set excluding tome = 200.000.000 (4aps)
    tome for 5th APS = 400.000.000
    R8r chest is the other option for 5th APS = 100.000.000 ????? (very rough average, chance is an important factor as you need to reroll till you get lucky.)

R9 or not depends on your pvp ambitions. If you dont have much of those, R9 is not needed at all. If you do, i would first invest in an APS set + G16 helm/cape so that you can farm. If you are very active, you might get that R9 in about a year then. The biggest difference between the G16 players and R9 players comes from the refines and shardings. You arent going to invest 5billion in refining and sharding sub-top gear.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Be real though R9 may be cheaper than it has been, your still looking at 800 gold if everything bought on sale.

It is hard to farm that with a TT90 equiped toon.
    It is also hard to farm it if you start out with nothing.

some rough price comparisons assuming 1gold = 2m coin on your server ?

R9 = 1.600.000.000
    G16 = 300.000.000
    TT99 based APS set excluding tome = 200.000.000 (4aps)
    tome for 5th APS = 400.000.000
    R8r chest is the other option for 5th APS = 100.000.000 ????? (very rough average, chance is an important factor as you need to reroll till you get lucky.)

R9 or not depends on your pvp ambitions. If you dont have much of those, R9 is not needed at all. If you do, i would first invest in an APS set + G16 helm/cape so that you can farm. If you are very active, you might get that R9 in about a year then. The biggest difference between the G16 players and R9 players comes from the refines and shardings. You arent going to invest 5billion in refining and sharding sub-top gear.

I don't think it really matters atm tbh, there's very little to farm except for TT runs, and those require hours and hours of dedication. I'm still of the opinion that G16 is mostly a waste in terms of investment - you're very unlikely to get a good return on your time/money invested into G16. Don't forget most of the cost in G16 is farming badges - it takes months to farm the badges for the recast, and during that time you're making basically 0 coin.

The good news is that BM's are wanted by groups almost regardless of gears (calloused lionhearts might be stretching it here though), do your BH's daily, farm Morai influence and merchant the goods for coin, get good with herb routes and sell some herbs to make initial capital to work with.

Cube is probably your best bet to making coins w/o elite gears. A double run to get cogs then selling both nets ~3.4m coins per day, and if you save up the lucky cube lottery tokens, you can trade in 79 for another 6 free cogs. Bh's give around 500k a day average, selling FSP gives another 2.5m/day. Botting nets 500k-1m, for a total of around 7m a day income after cost of charms/repairs etc.

If you can afford to CS ~$300-400, it's feasible to farm R9 in 3-4 months this way. Even faster if you do semi-afk NW (it's not worth gearing up G16 just to kind of compete for marginally better token gains imo). Things also get easier as you farm more pieces of your R9.

Not gonna lie though, if you do want to be competitive in pvp/TW, you either have to spend money, or a lot of time. PWI is not for the weak of heart or poor :p.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Viktorian - Archosaur
    Viktorian - Archosaur Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wanna i think u need to reexamine ur prices. to get a g16 chest on our server atm is ~50mil. thats buying everything. not chipping the golds. so at best to g16 a full set +3 would be 200mil.
    TO OP
    PERSONALLY i like vit. gives a few extra hp points that have probably saved my life more then once. however u might want to stat alot more into dex. either that or get a fast recovering cloud eruption genie. since our dex goes mainly into the ability to wear our weapons and our dmg comes from str just folo the guides from those smart pplz and when u rebirth and got ur dex back to where it needs to be to wear ur weapons put some extra points in vit.
    Servers: Archosaur(PvE US West) and Harshlands (PvP US East)
    Chars: Viktorian(100 2Rb Celestial Demon BM) PurpleHealz (100 Celestial Sage Cleric) DagsAway (95 Assassin)
    [SIGPIC][/Sigpic]