New to veno...questions

Options
Octarius - Raging Tide
Octarius - Raging Tide Posts: 89 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Venomancer
Hey all I just recently made a veno and wanted to know if the 1str+4mag every other level was still the viable way to build it. I'm going arcane and let my pet do the tanking. Is the glacial walker still the preferred pet as I don't have the money to get a herc sadly b:sad. I looked at the guide up there but seems to confuse me a bit as it jumps around from arcane to light armor ect. Would there be any good veno guides for someone new like me?

Just wanting a class to play when I'm not on my sin. Also...can veno's still solo pretty well? Thanks all!b:victory
Post edited by Octarius - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    5 mag/4 mag+1 str alternating levels is the cookie-cutter pure build. You might (or might not) want to add some vit for survivability at some point (when you start pulling aggro off your pet, or when you start doing dungeons with significant AOE.)

Glacial walker is still the best free all-around and tank pet.

Venos can solo as well as (or better than) they ever could, provided their pet is up to or at least close to their level. They just can't solo as fast at high level as other classes, and on bosses they really need a herc to solo unless much higher level than the boss. Even with an evolved herc, there are still bosses they can't solo, but other classes can (usually with bloodpaint.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Octarius - Raging Tide
    edited February 2014
    Options
    What's the strength cap on venos?
  • Ilyania - Lost City
    Ilyania - Lost City Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The r9 weapon needs 60 strength, nirvana pataka needs about 56.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kniraven is so f-cking sexy
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Morai Heavy set needs 252 str, if you go HA route. I don't think there's anything a veno can equip that requires more. Some venos do put more than that in str, if they're primarily foxform.

For arcane, though, what Ilyania said is all you need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Octarius - Raging Tide
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Are HA and LA venos that good?b:victory
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I personally consider LA builds inferior because LA armor defences are crappy. If you compare HA (best possible G16 Nirvana) to R9rr, the latter has the most advantages and overall is the best route but if you're only comparing Nirvana AA vs. Nirvana HA then HA has several advantages and is still viable.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Numelle - Raging Tide
    Numelle - Raging Tide Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Since now, you can rebirth your char upon reaching lvl 100, you can add a bit of vitality.

What I usually do on my pure magic characters, is that every 2 levels, I put points in to 1 VIT 1 STR 8 MAG, when my STR reach 56 points, I stop adding in to STR. Kepp in mind that rebirth is like free reset stone, so even if you make a mistake, you can just fix it later on.

After you get your gear, and decade to rebirth, you can just add 56 (or so) STR points, and bump rest in to MAG, since your full set armor (saying that you have full T3 or R9 with decent HP shards) will give you enough HP , and since I have T3 AA robe, I get few extra STR points that I just put in to MAG, of course I can't wear my armor nor weapon without robe.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hey all I just recently made a veno and wanted to know if the 1str+4mag every other level was still the viable way to build it. I'm going arcane and let my pet do the tanking. Is the glacial walker still the preferred pet as I don't have the money to get a herc sadly b:sad. I looked at the guide up there but seems to confuse me a bit as it jumps around from arcane to light armor ect. Would there be any good veno guides for someone new like me?

Just wanting a class to play when I'm not on my sin. Also...can veno's still solo pretty well? Thanks all!b:victory
    as far as pets go, i have 2 golems..volcanic and glacial, the big polar bear are my heavy hitters, my kowlin is my puller in instances, the small polar bear is not yet leveled up but good for keeping up attack while im rezzing a downed pet. my air attack is the pig, and shes some tough bacon....MsPiggy kicks butt on jewelscalen like her namesake would! and i have a plumpfish...yes, most venos dont like plumpies, but they are great when you help others with their quests. i will never have the money to afford a herc, either ingame coin or zen, so i have to do the best i can with what i can catch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • OFate - Heavens Tear
    OFate - Heavens Tear Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    i will never have the money to afford a herc, either ingame coin or zen, so i have to do the best i can with what i can catch.

I really admire this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ying - 101 Sage Venomancer RB2 // No Alts // Perfect World Player Since: May 2008