How to use Gale Force wisely ?

Options
HolyMyst - Harshlands
HolyMyst - Harshlands Posts: 28 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Mystic
Hello, I made this thread so myself and body else that are not to sure when to use this very strong skill of ours and also if anyone know what it the percentage chance for it to silence and freeze at lvl 10. I never done GV, delta or anything like that, mostly FC and quest but I would like to do them some day and with some knowledge of this skill and mystic roles in them, which also lends to when and when not to use this skill, like I read about timing it with other classes aoe stuns so mobs don't scatter or use it to save the group when the main tank or puller falls, I have some ideas from reading or threads but I know its not enough and would like to know a lot more hopefully by others who playing their mystic for a very long time and know what a mystic is really about and I would greatly appreciate to learn more about this class that I really like and be better at it.
Post edited by HolyMyst - Harshlands on

Comments

• mrcharlythree
    mrcharlythree Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Well, it isn't all that strong . . .

Max it, it is a lifesaver and your only real spammable aoe skill.

The proc on the scatter is random for each mob; typically if I throw it at 3 mobs at least one will run away.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I heard a very long time ago from a friend that level 10 GF is 50% proc rate. I have no idea how true that is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • ShadeParadox - Raging Tide
    ShadeParadox - Raging Tide Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I have Sage Gale Force.
    Sage Bonus: Slows enemies around you by 70% for 3 seconds.

This helps a lot with the scatter effect. Mobs can barely run away. They almost never leave the others AoE range so no one cares if I spam it.

In addition, I combine it with Lucky Break (lv 100 chrono spell). This does work to force a critical attack on every mob you hit. Very deadly and very useful if a Mystic is trying to take over tanking.

As far as using Gale Force at any level, it works great when you see your party is in trouble and they need some time to recover. Maybe the Cleric got silenced and need a few seconds. Never mind if it sends mobs outside of AoE range, it is a great way for you to keep your squad alive.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'd estimate the chance of seal and freeze to be around 60% (both are checked separately, you can have one, both, or neither). Demon GF is around 85% freeze which is very nice, usually only around 1 out of 8 mobs runs away.

The main place to avoid using Gale Force is Lunar because all the mobs are immune to slow and freeze. They WILL run, which moves them out of aoe range and lowers your party's overall damage.

In other instances it's fairly safe to GF, although if your squad is mostly melees they will be more adversely affected by mobs running than ranged DDs will.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    On HL at lvl100+ you can use it in GV, but don't use in place like Warsong and Lunar unless your squad is about to die, then use it cause the silence might save the squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Use it if you have an archer/wizard tanking please

Like, please

never use it unless you can oneshot mobs if it's a heavy tanking though
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options

Like, please

Depends on the situation. Just using expel on the archer/wizard while they're sitting in zhen is sometimes better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Just bring more lucky break mystics, man. It takes 12 seconds for a wiz dragon's breath to outdamage a mystic. Even worse if the BM uses heaven's flame.

You only bring wiz/archer if you can't find a 2nd mystic or seeker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Alphaben - Raging Tide
    Alphaben - Raging Tide Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I normally only GF if mobs are stunned and won't run from it

Otherwise it's kind of pain with DB/BOA/Votrex
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrcharlythree
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you are in a squad, GF's purpose is really only as a last-ditch save attempt. I think you are better off spamming FP and BitC on the DD's though.

Compare GF with a Psychic aoe, bearing in mind that the Psychic has multiple AOE attacks and can therefore spam them.

GF
    Basic Attack (as wood) + 100% weapon + 2425

Psychic
    Basic Attack + 200% + 4518
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If you are in a squad, GF's purpose is really only as a last-ditch save attempt. I think you are better off spamming FP and BitC on the DD's though.

Compare GF with a Psychic aoe, bearing in mind that the Psychic has multiple AOE attacks and can therefore spam them.

GF
    Basic Attack (as wood) + 100% weapon + 2425

Psychic
    Basic Attack + 200% + 4518

This is false. Psychics are one of the worst classes in the game for general mass aoe. Consider that the spell you listed, Aqua Cannon, has an 8m AOE and takes 3 seconds to use. To equal a triple sparked lucky break GF, the psychic would have to cast at least 3 aqua cannons, which is a full 9 seconds of DD time.

Gale force is also 14m AOE and more easily centered in an optimal location to hit everything. When you compare gale force's aoe size, it covers 306% more area than Aqua cannon.

In most cases, the psy will hit less than half of all possible mobs, meaning it takes him 18 seconds to do what a mystic can accomplish in just 1 gale force (which takes 1.5 seconds to use).

This is very evident in full Warsong runs, where a R9rr mystic + BM can pull all mobs up to the boss and one-shot everything in under 4 seconds. Psychics do not have anything in their skill list that can accomplish that, not even stone smasher.

The only time where a psychic would be kinda decent for aoe is if all the mobs are melee. Otherwise, counting on a psy for aoe will only slow you down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • mrcharlythree
    edited November 2013
    Options
    How the heck can comparing like with like be 'false'?

Psys having worse mass aoes?

What planet are you on? My psy is only level 76 and outdamages a lvl89 demon vortexing seeker. I have **** gear.

Non-sparked, my aoes are hitting for 20-41k now.

IF a BM HF's and this times well with the mystic, then the Mystic's GF will do decent damage. But then it is 8s before the mystic can cast another aoe.

For a mystic to fire off two GF takes 11s. A Psy can cast 4 aoes in that time.
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    IF a BM HF's and this times well with the mystic, then the Mystic's GF will do decent damage. But then it is 8s before the mystic can cast another aoe.

For a mystic to fire off two GF takes 11s. A Psy can cast 4 aoes in that time.

You're true in a way because the main issue with mystics' aoe is that you can't spam GF and don't really have other possibilities (i don't talk at all about summons/herbs here). However, in a lot of situation, Mystics can kill mobs with only one GF (plus triple spark + lucky break) when a psy will need more than one skill (even after triple sparking and with BM's HF)

Anyway this is as always situational and you won't act the same way in every kind of squad/instance
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Thewhites - Sanctuary
    Thewhites - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I usually use thicket skill first, mine still lvl 10 tho, but those mobs will get stunned then after tht I'll cast my gale force, or after a BM stun em f:melon
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Personnaly I never use thicket in PVE and really rarely in PVP (I would probably use it more if I was demon though)
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You should be using Thicket in PVP, it's a lovely skill.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

Like, please

never use it unless you can oneshot mobs if it's a heavy tanking though

If you are on HL pls pls don't listen to other servers mystics. =)

On HL if you don't GF in GV you risk highly to get kick and for sure will get a reputation of bad mystic. (Unless you was in squad as healer and need to heal, but still)

I did made a BM recently and realize that people on forum are freaking QQing for nothing about mystic using GF. Barbs, wizzs and archers are WORSE about pushing mobs away, as BM I prefer 1000 x more a mystic that GF than a barb that do slam (I think it's the name of the skill) or a wizz that use will of the phoenix and an archer using wingspan.

I saw a wizz in GV using constantly will of the phoenix and that I can't tab a other mob cause that freaking skill push ALL mobs (same for barb and archer), while GF affect some mobs so I can tab a other one.

I saw wizz tanking using will of the phoenix, so don't come to me saying if a wizz tank to don't GF...

In GV use GF, no matter what class is in squad or tanking, people on HL take mystics as AOE DD in bh GV, not as freaking single target DD.
    I usually use thicket skill first, mine still lvl 10 tho, but those mobs will get stunned then after tht I'll cast my gale force, or after a BM stun em f:melon

Unless you are demon never use thicket in PVE, it's a waste of sparks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You should be using Thicket in PVP, it's a lovely skill.

I'm always trying to improve my gameplay by looking for new strategies that could give me more perspectives and maybe I should try ticket a little more in PVP, but for the moment I see that as a sparks waste...

First of all I'm sage and don't even have the book for that skill (one of the only three I didn't have, two others being Cragg and Comfortingmist). As I said, if I had the level 11 demon version instead of my current level 10 one (and I find that sage level 11 is not alot better as well) probably I would use it more often.
    Other thing is that this skill is pretty much the same if you have Op or crappy gear (I mean you don't use it for damage but for crowd control, and cc effect is the same whatever your stuff is). If I had crappiest gears I think I would also use it more often to control a player that would be targeting by my squadmates, but in my case I think it's often better for me to DD
    And in PVP I found that this is not actually a "real AOE" because the area of effect seemed really small each time I used it.

So I usually prefer saving chi/sparks for lucky break or triple sparking for example or maybe Sublime Transfusion for targets with lots of HP.

However, if someone as some good examples (videos could be great) of situations where the best use of two sparks is Ticket, I could try again and change my mind.
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    PVE, squad set-up determines whether or not I use thicket, tbh. Talking Demon Thicket here, btw.

Example: Caster Nirvana. If I was in a squad with a bunch of r9 +10-+12 DDs, then I'd use thicket and hope for the dg proc. If I was in a squad and was the highest DD though, I'd just trip spark and DD.

As for PVP, highly dependent on the opponents. Obv, don't use it on someone with puri proc since every damage "tick?" is a chance to puri. So this leaves BMs/barbs/sins/archers/seekers and all casters without puri proc. Honestly? My mystic is never really the main damage dealer in PVP, especially now with so many r9rrs running around. So I just make it my goal to spot heal and help CC. This is where Thicket comes in handy simply because has a much longer range than Gale Force does. Also, if you can get it off on a group of people and your DDs assist and AOE on them...well...

I'm just talking about mass pvp, ofc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• ChevaIier - Harshlands
    ChevaIier - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hello, I made this thread so myself and body else that are not to sure when to use this very strong skill of ours and also if anyone know what it the percentage chance for it to silence and freeze at lvl 10. I never done GV, delta or anything like that, mostly FC and quest but I would like to do them some day and with some knowledge of this skill and mystic roles in them, which also lends to when and when not to use this skill, like I read about timing it with other classes aoe stuns so mobs don't scatter or use it to save the group when the main tank or puller falls, I have some ideas from reading or threads but I know its not enough and would like to know a lot more hopefully by others who playing their mystic for a very long time and know what a mystic is really about and I would greatly appreciate to learn more about this class that I really like and be better at it.

The only time you should be using Gale Force in PVE is in combination of your 100 skill, lucky break. Basically, while you wait for the BM to dg: Leech your storm mistress, press lucky break, channel rapid growth and hit gale force once DG is launched. In high level instances, for example warsong, I hit about an aoe damage of 600k on each mob....which means everything is basically dead in that second :P

In addition: If you are R9RR you have every right to spam Gale Force as much as you want without rage :)

PVP Wise....you can watch how I effectively use gale force in this close combat situation ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRHh2jjxBSA&feature=youtu.be
  • Aziza_Atori - Archosaur
    Aziza_Atori - Archosaur Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I am rrr9 mystic and people almost never complain about my galeforce since it hits hard and i can survive the agro i get(I specialize in arcane tanking since i got sick of the hardships of finding barbs). When i was lower geared a lot of people got mad at me for using galeforce though. In delta i always ask the bm to time his hf with my sparks. hf+spark+lucky break+galeforce is like a nuclear bomb.
    Aziza_Atori: 102 sage mystic
    Aziza_Amina: currently fail 91 sage cleric
    And a lot of alts...
  • Beltz - Archosaur
    Beltz - Archosaur Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    gale force works great in pvp its always my first attk on duels i mostly use this combo

gale force+thicket+bramble tornado+ natures vengence again and again or u can use any other skill after this combo

i have defeated a bunch of players with this combob:victory
  • peckked
    peckked Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    The idea of using Gale Force in a PVE squad situation isn't bad with the proper timing.

When to use:

- To save the squad in trouble (as stated)
    - When you'll likely kill the remaining mobs
    - Mobs are stunned and/or HFed. Please don't ever use Gale Force before dragons if you know it's coming (and subsea to a smaller extent) or the mobs are at the very least stunned.
    - Generally if you are one of the stronger DDs in squad. R93 +10 isn't worth squat if you chase the mobs out of range of an R93 +12 seeker or wizzy.
    - In GV if there are a group of ranged mobs outside the zhen feel free to use it on them if you can survive the focused fire, then pull them into the zhen
    - If it's your squad and you could give a rats *** about how anyone else feels b:chuckle
    - If you already have agro and can move first to one side of all the mobs. They'll at least all run in roughly the same direction

When not to use:
    - Before HF if you know it should be coming (again subsea to a lesser degree)
    - If an OP sin pulled and/or is tanking the mobs - they need to hit them to keep agro and their AOE range is 8m - generally if your sin is your top DD then forget about GF. Similar goes for BMs.
    - If you're significantly out DDed by the combined DD (particularly melees) in your squad, GF can lessen the effectiveness of the stronger DDs and consequently the effectiveness of a squad as a whole
    - If all the mobs are ranged and won't return if they run
    - If you are horribly undergeared - just don't.

Things that you might consider before using Gale Force
    - If a seeker is tanking it's important to know if they have the increased range for vortex as mobs often won't leave their range even if they run, or at least return to its range
    - If a squad has no sin or bm then for the most part you can go nuts
    - If you think you'll take agro try to move back from the mobs so they group together again after running and position yourself accordingly before using it
    - In GV, wait and see how the squad handles the mobs in the first few waves - if they clear out the waves in under 10-15s you have a greater chance to slow down the squad using GF than to help contribute to the overall DD. This also gives opportunity to see if you have idiot bms/sins (to a lesser degree barbs) that don't know how to aoe and is a great time to troll them, especially if you have lead

A well placed Gale Force will for the most part go unnoticed by a squad or have them crediting you on your skills, whereas a poorly placed one will leave everyone unhappy. I'm sure I've missed some but these are situations I've run into from being on either side of the fence.

Also, I agree that I would rather see Gale Force than any of the aoe knockback skills, particularly on ranged mobs. Lastly, the comment of "if you're r93... then do whatever" is a personal pet-peeve of mine. Good gear shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy gameplay by any class. We have lag for that.
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I've been using Gale force in Delta and nobody has complained once. Keeps the mobs off the cleric, reduces the hits on the main aoe damage dealers. Sage GF means the mobs don't get very far.
  • Redoubt - Harshlands
    Redoubt - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As long as u are in coordination with blademaster debuff, gale force anytime is a not a bad thing.

I use RB swirling mist first and gale 2nd, more often than gale first.

Gale Force on lurkers after rezzing up in Nation Wars is fun. There's often time for a lucky break crit skill too.
  • mazrim87
    mazrim87 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    using gale force can require timing and skill, but i mostly sage spark-rapid growth- then primnal swirling mist- gale force...its a deadly combo specially ifyou timed it just right with bm HF My gale force has a chane to stun/ prevent running seeing how it's sage, also try using listless blossom b4 starting the combo, lysing it and most mobs are stunned so gale force wont blow them all over the place. just takes practice and timing to use galeforce without people raging at you lol, i've learned the hard way in delta/lunar runs
  • Ufoundwaldo - Sanctuary
    Ufoundwaldo - Sanctuary Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Options
    U don't like me using galeforce in squad, too ****** bad. sage galeforce ftw.