Epic mystic skillset

Options
BlooD_PRINCE - Heavens Tear
BlooD_PRINCE - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Mystic
Guides, specs, r9 and stats aside, what does, in your opinion, make an epic mystic?

Here are my thoughts:

PvE
1. Res buffing everyone even in rb. The perks of our res buff are manifold and I'm not talking mere exp-wise. (a) Targets return with more hp/mp than cleric res or res scrolls, this makes them less prone to hitting the floor from an aoe or other (b) The tank gets to maintain aggro even if he/she dies so has a chance to save the squishes and/or the squad from boss resets (c) saves everyone (not just clerics) from res scroll cooldown when clerics are busy in bb and/or healing

2. Falling petals. The skill is awesome and any mystics don't use it to heal if healing is required, they're fail /noughsaid. Demon makes it even better because you can get to buff everyone before they even get hit and have it last while they are in need of it.

3. Debuffing creeper. Use it when people need debuffs and a sin isn't having a hard time tanking. Their rib strike is better, the veno/barb/cleric debuffs are better. Deal with it, learn to use them only under situational squads.

4. Pets. You have them why do you not use them? They hit bloody hard you know... Me in WS: 5-8k on [?] bosses Mistress in WS: 10-16k on [?] bosses.

5. Mistress. If you are going to have her out (and kudos for keeping her out, she's a perfect dd) keep her mana up. I don't understand why some mystics have her out but let her go melee on bosses. If you don't wanna feed her mana, then at least keep the devil out, he does a better damage in melee.

6. Salvation. You are in an rb squad. The wizzie is tanking and having a hard time with it. Barb is decorative and bm can't get aggro off of her. What do you do? Why, hit mobs individually of course! Only idiots would get that pet out with that hefty shield that could save that wizzie.. tsk tsk shame on them ignorant fools.

PvP
1. After instruction from a friendly OP seeker.. salvation leech. It saves your hind, don't just stand there taking damage (unless you can tank it of course)

2. Energy leech gives you an anti stun & freeze. YW.

Let's get the mystic forums more lively, we are out there, we are good at what we do. Time to let the world know we are awesome dds, we are awesome healers, we are awesome tanks. QQ melees for sealed mobs all you want, we are here to stay.
Post edited by BlooD_PRINCE - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Nostinor - Harshlands
    Nostinor - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I hope some of the Mystic's on Harshlands read this post. I swear some of them are dumb as bricks.
    -Some of them don't know what Falling Petals does
    -Others don't know what Salvation is for.

The 'Perfect" World we play today......
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I hope some of the Mystic's on Harshlands read this post. I swear some of them are dumb as bricks.
    -Some of them don't know what Falling Petals does
    -Others don't know what Salvation is for.

The 'Perfect" World we play today......

No need to read that in that case, just have to read skills description. And for every class you can find people not reading...
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Mazumii - Dreamweaver
    Mazumii - Dreamweaver Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    this post is basicly common sense, atleast to me anyway
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    FP aggro steal
    Use this to nobly sacrifice yourself when the cleric pulls heal aggro and is dying.

Knowing when *not* to send salvation to buff someone.
    (like, don't send salvation to buff a fast melee; when they sprint off to do a pull, salvation will take a shortcut and risk pulling aggro from those mobs the melee was going around)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I also felt like these are mostly common sense.

Although I'm not actively playing my Mystic anymore (and likely ever again; too busy to play alts) I have a considerable amount of experience and made a Mystic the first day they were introduced. Explored the class and I was quite fascinated by them despite deciding to retire him at lvl 93.

With that said, Mystics are rather complex and require multitasking. Having played Venomancer and Cleric as mains beforehand, I didn't find it hard as both said classes require either a level of multitasking (controling pets etc.) or fast reflexes (healing and stuff) but maybe for some it just doesn't work (when playing a Psychic I find it relatively easy in PvE and very relaxing).

Another reason is that maybe some Mystics try to play the class like Venomancers or Clerics but that's wrong; Mystics are their own class and require their own playstyle.

I do see a lot of people fail at playing their classes but I have to admit the past few months I've seen terrible Mystics more than anything else but these forums are also rather dead and there's a lot of misinformation and bad advice going on.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2013
    Options
    these forums are also rather dead and there's a lot of misinformation and bad advice going on.

True, but according to me, people that do everything wrong usually don't even try to go on forum, wiki, youtube and so on anyway.
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's hard to know that honestly. There's plenty of people who lurk the forums and never post. Of course it's also true that a lot of people don't visit the forums and it's often the cause of their lack of knowledge on things.

I did have a couple of people PM me in-game asking about Venomancer related things saying that they read my posts on the forums but they themselves never posted.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Even though it is common sense I'm still glad you made this post. Why? So many people on my server DO NOT do even these things and it is really frustrating to have nearly useless mystic in squad instead of some other class just because they dont know how to play effectively.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Even though it is common sense I'm still glad you made this post. Why? So many people on my server DO NOT do even these things and it is really frustrating to have nearly useless mystic in squad instead of some other class just because they dont know how to play effectively.

This is part of the reason why people are so surprised when I solo heal through an entire WS run w/ no deaths (and with a 8k hp sin, no less), or one-shot AOE mobs w/ HF. No one has a CLUE what mystics can do...not even the people who play mystics b:surrender.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • mrcharlythree
    mrcharlythree Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Bumping, because this thread deserves it.
  • ShadeParadox - Raging Tide
    ShadeParadox - Raging Tide Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    3. Debuffing creeper. Use it when people need debuffs and a sin isn't having a hard time tanking. Their rib strike is better, the veno/barb/cleric debuffs are better. Deal with it, learn to use them only under situational squads.

This one isn't easy for Mystics to understand if they haven't played many other classes.

As far as creeper goes, it only gives 20% reduction to physical and magic defense.

BMs can do 50%.
    Cleric can do 40% / 35%.
    Veno can reach 100% for short times.
    Even barbs can get 50% on physical.

Creeper spams the spell so it will kill off any of these better, more powerful skills.
    I try to actually not use it while any of the above classes are in my party. Best not to make them angry and overwrite their effort. After all, we have so much to choose from.

If a barb isn't around to debuff physical attack, I use Spidervine a lot. If we have a solid party and every class is actually doing their job well, I'll swap between Listless Blossom and Punishing Sting.

Be warned, the Mystic class can cause almost any type of debuff but we naturally suck at it.

TLDR: Study the other classes and learn when not to debuff. When you get that down all other classes will love you.
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    ChevaIier - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Guides, specs, r9 and stats aside, what does, in your opinion, make an epic mystic?

PvE

Considering I out DD sins below R9RR level, I would use creeper to debuff magic instead of allowing a sin who can't tank properly w/o the use of rib strike :)

PvP
    1. After instruction from a friendly OP seeker.. salvation leech. It saves your hind, don't just stand there taking damage (unless you can tank it of course)

Although when you reach a certain gear level, salvation leech is sucks compared to leeching chiyu and mistress.

Let's get the mystic forums more lively, we are out there, we are good at what we do. Time to let the world know we are awesome dds, we are awesome healers, we are awesome tanks. QQ melees for sealed mobs all you want, we are here to stay.

Thought you should know :)
  • Cyrusdesu - Sanctuary
    Cyrusdesu - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I guess something mystic are capable of is massive aoe damage with triple spark + Lucky Break + Gale Force and combining it Bm's Heaven Flame rips apart mobs or takes chunk of their hp way, good example is pulls in Lunar and Warsong making the run more smoother and faster. b:pleased

Of course down side of it is Lucky Break is 100 demon/sage cult skill, so it not something expect a lot random mystic you invited to have that skill and aggro from said pull mobs if they survived which can lead the mystic to their down fall. b:surrender
  • DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    But mystics suck they dont has BB b:chuckle
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Nu, we dosent has a blue bubble. Wat we doez has is a Vital Herb and a Healing Herb, which when they are placed down togetha formz a fake BB.

They dosent reduce any damage like a Cleric's blue bubble does. They just heal like crazy and keep the squad from wiping anywayz. b:victory

Mystic sucks cause he/she dosent have a reliable purify like a cleric doez (we gotz one, but its not available on demand), we dunt has a hard-hitting AoE that will NOT freeze and seal, and we cant stealth. b:surrender

*ghost drifts off* b:bye
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2013
    Options
    When comparing mystics herbs to BB there is something else that should be considered apart from damage reduction. Blue Ball is related to cleric's base magic attack. Herbs not...
    For a squad with end game gears, healing/vital herbs are not that useful (but they are very useful when doing fc at level 85)
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    edited November 2013
    Options
    *ghost giggles*

Orrr, if your best end-game gears are basicly R8+5 (or lesser even). b:chuckle

*ghost drifts off...again* b:bye

PFFT! What instance cant a full R9rr + accoutrements NOT practically solo? It makes no sense that it wouldnt be just as effective, given the Defence levels to begin with...ijs.

In "mixed-gear" TWs, they practically heal any damage they take with a piece of crab.

Im thinking thats why I find Craggy more appealing than the Triple Spark/Gale Force method for AoEing mobs. For the R9T3 thats probably a one shot deal, where as for the R8+5,in either case, its not a 1 shot deal, and I personally found pulling Craggy ASAP much faster overall. It is what it is. *shrugs*
  • Zoldi - Morai
    edited November 2013
    Options
    My point was not to judge people in R8 or whatever, but just o say that the comparison between BB or mystic herbs is related to level/stuff with different conclusions.
    The point was also not to say if people in end game gear can solo everything or not.

But for example if I tank wood/fire/earth bosses in WS, then even with my R9.3 gear this is not that easy... I can obsiously heal myself but in this case I do less damage in the same time ( which is really not good for earth boss for example because of his regen). So in that situation I might prefer a cleric's BB (depending on cleric's magic attack). Spidervine can help in that kind of situation, but healing herb is totally useless.
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    edited November 2013
    Options
    My point was not to judge people in R8 or whatever, but just o say that the comparison between BB or mystic herbs is related to level/stuff with different conclusions.
    The point was also not to say if people in end game gear can solo everything or not.

But for example if I tank wood/fire/earth bosses in WS, then even with my R9.3 gear this is not that easy... I can obsiously heal myself but in this case I do less damage in the same time ( which is really not good for earth boss for example because of his regen). So in that situation I might prefer a cleric's BB (depending on cleric's magic attack). Spidervine can help in that kind of situation, but healing herb is totally useless.

Well, I would agree with you on preferring a Cleric in the squad as well. Not because of vague heal differences, including BB, but because its no longer my dedicated responsibility to keep my eyes on everyone's HP, and I can focus on other fun aspects of playing my Mystic.

Im thinking for high-end end game geared players, its just not all that important, hence, why its considered a waste.

Honestly, Healing Herbs target plant abilities are enough to make it a decent spell, combined with Vital Herb, its usually pretty awesome.

*ghost muses that high-end endgame geared players dont really get that much use out of their chars (PvP-only excluded, of course)* b:chuckle

Thanks for the chat. *ghost disapates* b:thanks
  • MissCherie - Harshlands
    MissCherie - Harshlands Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

Here are my thoughts:

PvE
    1. Res buffing everyone even in rb. The perks of our res buff are manifold and I'm not talking mere exp-wise. (a) Targets return with more hp/mp than cleric res or res scrolls, this makes them less prone to hitting the floor from an aoe or other (b) The tank gets to maintain aggro even if he/she dies so has a chance to save the squishes and/or the squad from boss resets (c) saves everyone (not just clerics) from res scroll cooldown when clerics are busy in bb and/or healing

Majority of people that don't ress buff everyone use the mp cost as reason or say clerics can revive with less exp lose. Herbs are cheap, if someone care that much about mp cost, they should have maybe chose a other class. Clerics can revive for free, but when they are in BB it's dangerous to drop BB to revive someone.
    2. Falling petals. The skill is awesome and any mystics don't use it to heal if healing is required, they're fail /noughsaid. Demon makes it even better because you can get to buff everyone before they even get hit and have it last while they are in need of it.

Indeed. When I solo boss and stuff sometime just casting falling petals each 9 seconds is enough to keep me alive without need to use hp pots or other healing skills. (of course depend what I solo)

Don't forget Bm, it's rare they debuff, but some does.
    4. Pets. You have them why do you not use them? They hit bloody hard you know... Me in WS: 5-8k on [?] bosses Mistress in WS: 10-16k on [?] bosses.

I agree, I hate when I see a mystic that use no summon (again when I ask why they don't they use the mp cost as excuse -.-)

We have 4 summons, there's always one appropriate for the situation we are, there's no excuse to don't use one.

5. Mistress. If you are going to have her out (and kudos for keeping her out, she's a perfect dd) keep her mana up. I don't understand why some mystics have her out but let her go melee on bosses. If you don't wanna feed her mana, then at least keep the devil out, he does a better damage in melee.

Sometime it's just bug also, mana is fill and she melee DD, if I'm in a squad that can kill the boss in 15 seconds I won't bother resummon her and I'll just DD, sometime I think some mystics just don't pay attention or didn't notice she's out of mana or was too busy at something else to transfer.
    6. Salvation. You are in an rb squad. The wizzie is tanking and having a hard time with it. Barb is decorative and bm can't get aggro off of her. What do you do? Why, hit mobs individually of course! Only idiots would get that pet out with that hefty shield that could save that wizzie.. tsk tsk shame on them ignorant fools.

Just GF. I don't use Salvation in GV/Delta/RB unless I'm the healer, other than that I use Mistress on AOE and I GF. =P
    PvP

I'll add that people can use energy leech without summon, of course there will be no summon effect, but if someone for some reasons need a anti-stun ASAP and didn't had summon cause it got kill than energy leech still work.

Unfortunately, not all mystics are good, there's actually a lot of mystics that are unskilled and it's the reason why mystics have a bad reputation.
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Majority of people that don't ress buff everyone use the mp cost as reason or say clerics can revive with less exp lose. Herbs are cheap, if someone care that much about mp cost, they should have maybe chose a other class. Clerics can revive for free, but when they are in BB it's dangerous to drop BB to revive someone.

Well, the problem with this is it can completely drain a Mystics mana before they have the Mass Ress buff (which I personally couldnt wait to get. It was a big relief just to be able to 1-shot everyone with it and get on with trying to keep up with everyone on the run), and even with pots they have to spend a lot of time drinking and meditating, which NOONE generally wants to wait for.

You only really are only responsible to buff the Cleric and yourself. If you find you got the extra mana, buff the tank too as he can get killed far away from the squad. In FC, go ahead and buff the sins - they are going to be gone awhile, and might find the buff helpful.

If you find you have time to buff everyone before they run off, and a reasonable amount of mana regeneration (charm?) to do it, then sure get everyone - but realisticly, most arent going to want to wait around for that, and your meditation too.

All this being said, Cleric's should carry scrolls too, as Ive noticed on Runewolf, and have heard another boss can do it, the buff can be debuffed. Its rare, but Ive seen it happen more than once on cleric's that clearly had the buff - and next minute they didnt and were dead.

Makes him an interesting boss, tbh. b:chuckle