problems with wood pav

Options
chofmo1
chofmo1 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Blademaster
any suggestions on soloing wood pav? i'm an axe/claw bm wth 3rd cast claws and axes. i just can't kill the mobs fast enough
Post edited by chofmo1 on

Comments

• WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    you may just not have the needed damage output then. I think 5APS G16 medium refined or 4APS high refined is minimally needed for a BM or APS barb. Sins can do with a bit less.

Other than that its just optimizing your strategy to spend as little time moving and as much as possible attacking. If you cant kill a mob thats gonna blow because it is a tough one, try spark resisting the explosion (or ad) instead of running so that you dont lose time to kill the next. See how much you can tank the head while you are getting bloodpaint from killing the mobs. Notice the difference between phys imune or defence buffed ones.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The way I do it is completely without fists. Just keep your physical marrow in, keep using smack on the head to make it toddle away from you every once in a while, and AoE spam like a madman. Build up your chi and use HF when you can, keep AoEing. You don't need to kill all the mobs, just make sure the NPC stays alive.

If you wanted you could also use Fissure and kite away from the mobs for a moment to heal your HP back up and wait for skill cooldowns. Doing it my way you always have 2-4 on you, which is why keeping marrow on is such a big help. I've used fists there before, and honestly, it's much harder to fist them down than it is to axe them down. HF is your friend, so it also might be smart to use fists to get chi if you don't have a speedy chi PvE genie like I do. Tangle Mire is also your friend.
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    hmm. When i tried that, they just reset from right under my nose.
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Huh, that rarely happens to me. Once in a while one resets, but it's pretty rare. I have Bandicam now, if I ever get back into game I could do wood pav and record it to share how I do it. A lot of BMs I know say wood is the hardest for them, but to me it's the second easiest (How could a BM -not- be able to solo water?)
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    (How could a BM -not- be able to solo water?)
    water or wood ? :p

Wood cant really be the easiest. With axes and aoe, water is obviously easier. If using claws, earth is obviously easier.

Not saying it is impossible what you say. Just wondering if you are mixing up with water.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    OP is talking about wood, not water.

I solo wood quite easily with archer metal skills myself, but for BMs wood is just trip spark tangling mire kill. Try using an elemental pot because wood mobs have almost no magic defense.

To prevent resets keep away from the walls.
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    edited October 2013
    Options
    water or wood ? :p

Wood cant really be the easiest. With axes and aoe, water is obviously easier. If using claws, earth is obviously easier.

Not saying it is impossible what you say. Just wondering if you are mixing up with water.

Nope, not mixing them up, I'm a pure axe (With enough dex to actually -hit-) BM, so wood presents the harder challenge forcing me to use axes, but I find it easier than when I was three spark APSing to use axe AoE spam. Water mobs are oneshots with my axes, and I've done it pre-t3 easily as well with my r8r with GoF, so it doesn't take an OP weapon for water. I was also doing wood then but it was a much greater challenge.

Now with attack levels all I need to do is HF and AoE spam and wood is done, water doesn't even need HF.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    3rd cast claws and... +3 refines? I have 3rd cast claws and I can go through about 2.5 mobs per spark so I'm failing to see how you have a hard time keeping up with the mobs.

Keep physical marrow on at all times. I like to start near Clearwater and keep the head there, then as mobs come I run up and collect 2-3 leaving the head behind us. I then triple spark and aps all three mobs. Then I run the head back a bit. Repeat. Also, demon Meteor Rush is a great skill for kiting the head. Knocks it back 15m and has a chance to stun for 5 seconds. Buys you plenty of time.

A few changes you can make if you're having trouble keeping up is as soon as a mob shout leap back and switch to a different mob. If you're having trouble keeping up then no point in dding on a mob thats just gonna explode. This saves you from having to kill 50% of the mobs hp. Also, sometime the mobs will def buff. That buff lasts a long time, but you may as well just switch mobs when it happens.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Morridune - Raging Tide
    Morridune - Raging Tide Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I mostly do this pav with axes tbh (pref with mystic skill buff as they anti aps buffed) key here is p.marrow and switches, wen ever RotP is available tab head ( or click if easier) roar and then use oceans edge and atmos strike ( sage atmos pro for proc'd chi) and move further back/forward along the path keeping head slowed and at range spamming p.marrow will chi up + mitigate a ton of the damage u'd take and is faster to put up in-between atks than bell wen the mobs troll purge (ofc re Bell asap once u get lil space) so long as damage out put is constant, u dont run too far from mobs and drop a bleed on head once in a while resets should be less of an issue and compared to earth wood mobs barely explode learn to cope with odd purges and ur good to go
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Roar on nearest mob as head approaches to stun it.

I personally wingspan nearest mob as head approaches so that it gets knocked back; I imagine it's similar for BM roar.

As for anti aps buff they really don't do that too much
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Morridune - Raging Tide
    Morridune - Raging Tide Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    its still a nerf on damage OP say's he's struggling with his damage I just threw that out there as suggestion for diff way for em to approach the pav i said roar on head as u can switch while the skill is channelling to sword or pole for knock back after you've hit the slow skill tab and use drake sweep or fan of flames and switch while that skill going off bk to axe's its simply fastest way i've found to move btwn both targets and mobs simultaneously as roar/oceans edge/sweep and fan are all non path specific skills no risk of cancelling and u "combo stuttering" for lack of a better term