Warsong video/tips

Options
Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
Fae_Harpy - Archosaur Posts: 267 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Archer
I recently reached the level where I can finally do full warsong; but while I'm having no issues soloing fire, metal is giving me some grief. I'm finding that I keep running out of room while trying to kite away from the head. I was hoping I could just stick with fire pav, but was informed today that clerics solo fire and archers do metal. I know I'm doing something wrong; that I should be able to solo metal, but I just can't figure out what it is. I found many videos on youtube of other classes soloing metal, but none of archers. So if anyone knows or has a video of an archer soloing metal (doesn't even need to be in English, just interested in watching how they move) or some good tips it would be much appreciated.
AstriaFae
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I looked to the stars, my aim true.
Heart peirced, the light flowed.
And from the dust of Sagittarrius,
I crafted a bow.
Post edited by Fae_Harpy - Archosaur on

Comments

• DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver
    DarkSkiesx - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I kite the head from the corner of the path to the lil pavilion and back, sometimes run into the middle of the pavilion and snipe a mob then run back to kill it. Spam stun and knockback on the head when I'm facing it in the right direction.

Sometimes if I'm lazy or multitasking I'll kite the head from the beginning of the path to the pavilion..

I can post a vid but it might not be that helpful due to gear imbalance. b:surrender
    DarkSkiesx - Demon Archer
    mypers.pw/1.7/#114350

DarkSeasx - Sage Assassin
    mypers.pw/1.7/#136481

youtube.com/darkskiesx
    Tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear
    XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    My friend and I had to teach one our archer friends to solo metal as an Archer. He's full s3 nirvana +5/6 armor and +7 bow. Metal no longer gives me grief, but I am assuming your gears to be somewhere in the s2 nirvana area. Depending on your squad, I know I prefer to have the cleric float just because its more beneficial to the squad to have buffs on call rather then having a cleric jump from defending to buff. But back to the point at hand, you need to kite A LOT and from your post you may not be kiting effectively. Can't really speculate too much, but here are some tips.

1. Knockback Arrow, needs and I repeat needs to almost ALWAYS be on cd. Why? That 12 meter knockback should be used on the head, and if its really close, use Wingspan then knockback.

2. Your Leaps, left and right use them to kite.

3. Aoe, if you kite away and there are a sizable group of mobs 10+ barrage them, cancel and kite away if they aren't dead.

I can't post a video of me soloing a metal defense because I don't have any old/worse gears and what I am using now clears it without an issue. I am remembering how I did metals when I still had my stage 1 r9 before NW came out. Feel free to pm me in game or on the forums. I will be more then happy to try and help you.
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have included my gear when I made the original post, but didn't think of it.

Current Gear and since I'm too lazy to fill out all my adds on my r8r Actual Stats With barb buff I have over 11k hp, and as long as I can avoid the mobs exploding, their normal attacks don't do much damage even with 5+ attacking me at the same time. It's either the head hitting me or getting too close to the mobs when they go boom that causes me to die. Add to these, twice I aggro'd the the monkeys. First by shooting the dog when it must have been too close and then another time I must have ran too close to it.

Also from reading the posts, I currently do not have my leaps. I'm stuck in shroud until I get Blood Vow, then I'll switch to corona (almost at 5k prestige). I do have holy path, Elven Alacrity and always carry charger orbs.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Satyrion - Sanctuary_1389862626
    Satyrion - Sanctuary_1389862626 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    From what I heard metal have far more physical defense than fire mobs, plus they tend to pdef buff himself at times. It's a lie clerics have to be on fire, clerics just get along with lower gear or ish nubs and get the easier pav that way. They do hit lower on metal mobs too like an archer since they also have higher metal def/ or maybe the part its metal mobs.
    Personally I don't any longer use the space for kite anymore, I just run back n forth, or in circles while killing. Stun w/e the head as u feel and find ur playstyle. :) you have the gear so just keep try and see what works for you.
  • FistToDeath - Dreamweaver
    FistToDeath - Dreamweaver Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    From what I heard metal have far more physical defense than fire mobs, plus they tend to pdef buff himself at times. It's a lie clerics have to be on fire, clerics just get along with lower gear or ish nubs and get the easier pav that way. They do hit lower on metal mobs too like an archer since they also have higher metal def/ or maybe the part its metal mobs.
    Personally I don't any longer use the space for kite anymore, I just run back n forth, or in circles while killing. Stun w/e the head as u feel and find ur playstyle. :) you have the gear so just keep try and see what works for you.

Actually, the Efreet Lady, which is fire mob, has 0 metal defense, which is why it's perfect for clerics. They also happen to have low p. def. The Evil Electric Leopard was apparently made for wizards to kill (no fire, water or earth def, while having a huge p.def. - over 7k - and some fire and wood def - a bit over 1k).

Earth mobs have somewhat low p. def. and metal def, so maybe that'd be a nice one for archers, since they have 2 pushback skills, being one of them aoe. Also, earth has acres free to kite.
  • Satyrion - Sanctuary_1389862626
    Satyrion - Sanctuary_1389862626 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I didn't meant that clerics are bad in fire, just that they aren't limited to do only fire.. Maybe one of the easiest classes to solo on too because of their heals.
    Anyways *cough* yea earth could be a good option too if that pav aren't already taken too, just don't like how fast they run in range lol.. But that could be short range vs big pdef
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Oh, that's true. Clerics are great for soloing pretty much any pav other than water, since they can heal themselves and also sleep the head for hours on end. Water may just be a bit too much for a medium-geared cleric to handle due to the amount of hits taken per second.

Sorry for derailing the thread, though. Back to archers, I'd make a vid to help you if I had an archer. Turns out it's one of the classes I haven't lvled past 50, sorry.
  • Badonkajonck - Archosaur
    Badonkajonck - Archosaur Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I love doing metal. :o it's one of my favorite pavs to do. I learned the hard way to not bother shooting at the mob when they are close to the monkeys. Um I can try and post a video of me doing it. (no promises) I'm just a S3 Nirvana with +5 armour (+2 boots don't ask) and ornies/rings +3-5 :D
    I'm a Forest Eating Hippo.

Currently working in Secret Forrest Location on Arch.

Current Equipment:pwcalc.com/3290bcd3841dc936<-- Buffed
    (Tips/advice always welcomed)
  • lnledls
    lnledls Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Metal isnt so bad- just only limited kiting space (compared to fire!)
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Hm, I thought Earth mobs have absolutely no magic defence because I was hitting hard even the magic resistance ones. Also, I didn't quite know Metal mobs have low water defence; that explains why my Harpy pet can pretty much solo the pavilion by itself lol as long as I run the head.

Anyway, I think what's best is to try to find something that works for you. I'm not an Archer myself but back when I started doing WS there were hardly any videos and there was absolutely nothing about Venomancers defending/soloing so I had to figure things out myself (and even wrote the guide after).

I don't know much about Archers but as a Venomancer I used to run around a lot. I'd cast a skill, run back, cast a skill, run back, cast etc. and stun the head whenever I could. Not sure if this would work but you could give it a try I guess.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Hm, I thought Earth mobs have absolutely no magic defence because I was hitting hard even the magic resistance ones. Also, I didn't quite know Metal mobs have low water defence; that explains why my Harpy pet can pretty much solo the pavilion by itself lol as long as I run the head.

Earth mobs have no wood defense, that's why. They do have low (950) of each other m. def., though.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Earth mobs have no wood defense, that's why. They do have low (950) of each other m. def., though.

I should check the database more often b:surrender well, time to go correct my guide.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have a metal solo video with a +5 G15 bow. I will upload it as soon as I find a good song to match it with lol

In metal the key is skill spam, for me at least. Metal skills hit for 16-20K noncrit, BV'd sage frost arrow crit for 90K once and autos hit for 7K

Kite back and forth across the square in the middle of the pav
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Sorry I probably should have included my gear when I made the original post, but didn't think of it.

Current Gear and since I'm too lazy to fill out all my adds on my r8r Actual Stats With barb buff I have over 11k hp, and as long as I can avoid the mobs exploding, their normal attacks don't do much damage even with 5+ attacking me at the same time. It's either the head hitting me or getting too close to the mobs when they go boom that causes me to die. Add to these, twice I aggro'd the the monkeys. First by shooting the dog when it must have been too close and then another time I must have ran too close to it.

Also from reading the posts, I currently do not have my leaps. I'm stuck in shroud until I get Blood Vow, then I'll switch to corona (almost at 5k prestige). I do have holy path, Elven Alacrity and always carry charger orbs.

I'm going to resist the urge to comment on your bow, but honestly you shouldn't really have any trouble soloing metal. Seems like you have the DD power like I said just gotta work on your kiting. Also Blood Vow is good but I rarely use it in PVE especially in squad settings because most bms override it with their HF's. Awaken is something you should definitely get like asap, same with those leaps.

Your resistances and survivability and DD would increase with full s3 nirvana armor, which I presume you're going after cuz warsongs.. I'd also suggest a Sign of Frost: Chaos or Skycover in the future whichever perks your fancy. That aps set bonus from the r8r doesn't really help you that much tbh.
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their tips. I used some of them and also watch videos of other classes doing metal. I spent most of today practicing on metal and have about a 75% success rate in there now. I must say if given the choice I will take fire, but if metal is all available I could do it (might need a little help). I think my biggest issue is just how narrow it is. I actually play one-handed (mouse only) since I have no feeling in my left hand, and that small space makes it hard for me to point/click to run.

Ironically while trying to work on my archer I did find that my 96 wizzie has no issue with metal, even though she has less than 5k hp. f:sweat I was dual logging with her to open warsong for practice and just for fun thought I'd try with her to see if she could do it. While it was nice she could at that same time after comparing my archer's and wizzie's gear I felt it was a little sad.

I'll keep praticing, but for future runs I will request fire. Maybe if they really want me to go metal I'll just do it on my wizzie then switch to archer after it's done. f:laugh
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    You could also attempt wood. Mobs come rather slowly + more kite room than metal. Just spam metal attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Your resistances and survivability and DD would increase with full s3 nirvana armor, which I presume you're going after cuz warsongs.. I'd also suggest a Sign of Frost: Chaos or Skycover in the future whichever perks your fancy. That aps set bonus from the r8r doesn't really help you that much tbh.

I'm actually going to get R9. I wasn't at first, but with all the sales it's gotten so cheap I figure might as well. Plus I've had really good luck in Warsong and already have all the R9 archer molds. They are currently sitting in my safe, taunting me f:despise . If we keep getting the sales, I figure I can have it easily by the end of November, especially since I'm just getting the gear (already have a weapon).
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Sell your Warsoul bow and get the r9rr bow. Purge is amazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Are you serious? 75% success rate with a +7 Warsoul Recast bow? b:shocked Sorry but...that's saddening. Sorry

Uploading vid now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98bmG2nurVE
    Channels

• Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Are you serious? 75% success rate with a +7 Warsoul Recast bow? b:shocked Sorry but...that's saddening. Sorry

Uploading vid now

I watched your video and had to ask, is that video in real time or did you speed it up. Only reason I'm asking is you are going almost twice as fast as I was; you are using skills way faster.
    Unfortunately I have no choice but to rely heavily on auto-attacking and as you stated in the video, in metal that doesn't work to well. Maybe once I +12 my bow (just need ocean orbs to go on sale, I refuse to buy them at $50 a pop) and can hit harder with regular attacks metal may be easier, but for now think it may be best I stick to fire.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Metal, Wood mobs seem to have higher pdef than mdef...

Water, Fire mobs seem to have lower pdef than mdef.

Never done Earth!
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I watched your video and had to ask, is that video in real time or did you speed it up. Only reason I'm asking is you are going almost twice as fast as I was; you are using skills way faster.
    Unfortunately I have no choice but to rely heavily on auto-attacking and as you stated in the video, in metal that doesn't work to well. Maybe once I +12 my bow (just need ocean orbs to go on sale, I refuse to buy them at $50 a pop) and can hit harder with regular attacks metal may be easier, but for now think it may be best I stick to fire.

gear showcase was regular speed, actual defense was 2X speed

Why can't you use metal skills lol? Your bow probably will 2-3 shot most of the regular mobs. Also note that if you're Demon then spam demon blazing arrow because the additional damage does a lot lol

if you need a +12 bow to do metal..............um...............b:bye

@ Qui metal: 7K pdef, 1K metal and wood def 0 rest
    Channels

• Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Metal: 7133 pdef 0 Water/Fire/Earth 1132 Metal/Wood (Ranged)
    Fire: 1710 pdef 0 Metal 1132 Wood/Water/Fire/Earth (Ranged)
    Earth: 1710 pdef 0 Wood 950 Metal/Water/Fire/Earth (Melee)
    Water: 0 pdef 4529 Metal/Wood/Water/Fire/Earth (Melee)
    Wood: 7133 pdef 0 Metal 849 Wood/Water/Fire/Earth (Melee)

Metal is actually the worst for archer IMO due to the high pdef. Wood is better because at least it has 0 metal res. Fire is obviously best due to low pdef and 0 metal res. Earth and water are pretty easy since they have low pdef and you can kite easily by spamming wingspan.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Metal isn't bad at all; I have defended 1 fire out of almost half a dozen warsongs I ran recently, because freaking clerics HAVE TO HAVE TO do fire...with barb... lol.....b:laugh
    Channels

• Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    gear showcase was regular speed, actual defense was 2X speed

Why can't you use metal skills lol? Your bow probably will 2-3 shot most of the regular mobs. Also note that if you're Demon then spam demon blazing arrow because the additional damage does a lot lol

if you need a +12 bow to do metal..............um...............b:bye

@ Qui metal: 7K pdef, 1K metal and wood def 0 rest

It's not that I can't use the skills, I'm just slow at clicking. I have MS (Multiple sclerosis) as a result I have no feeling in my left hand so I have to play solely with my right by clicking with my mouse, I even have to walk/run by clicking instead of using the WSAD keys. Only thing I can use my left hand for is hitting the space bar to jump. I recently bought a gaming mouse with more buttons on the side, but those can only be set to use skills on the F1-F8 and 1-9 keys. I think that is why fire was so much easier for me to do was I had more room to click/run. I've set up some chain skills to use, but that can be dangerous as well if I miss judge how much time I have, then the head gets too close.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Press K to open hotkeys menu

Change hotkey bar setting to your new mouse buttons, unless game doesn't support that which I doubt

In the vid I have my metal skills set as shift 3, 4 and 5 and clicked sage frost. In fact I hardly clicked at all.
    Channels

edited October 2013
    Options
    I'm actually going to get R9. I wasn't at first, but with all the sales it's gotten so cheap I figure might as well. Plus I've had really good luck in Warsong and already have all the R9 archer molds. They are currently sitting in my safe, taunting me f:despise . If we keep getting the sales, I figure I can have it easily by the end of November, especially since I'm just getting the gear (already have a weapon).

.....You're going r9 and YET you wasted about the same amount of coin an r9 bow would've cost you by getting that warsoul bow.....
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    edited October 2013
    Options
    .....You're going r9 and YET you wasted about the same amount of coin an r9 bow would've cost you by getting that warsoul bow.....

I wasn't originally going R9, I was going to use r8r for my end game gear. But after having many, many, many unsuccessful rerolls I've said enough, and am just getting R9. I know I've dumped well over 100 mil just in rerolls. And I'm not being overly picky for my stats either. But currently my stats are cringe-worthy they are so bad. If I was a cleric, they'd be fantastic, but for archer they suck.

Also I don't consider the money on my bow a waste at all. It's so pretty and sparkly. Plus it matches my wings perfectly. The rrr9 bow is uglier than a warthog's backside.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I crafted a bow.
  • Badonkajonck - Archosaur
    Badonkajonck - Archosaur Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options

Uploading vid now

I did a video. But fraps is ugly. :(

On a side note. What recording software did you use?
    I'm a Forest Eating Hippo.

Currently working in Secret Forrest Location on Arch.

Current Equipment:pwcalc.com/3290bcd3841dc936<-- Buffed
    (Tips/advice always welcomed)
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I wasn't originally going R9, I was going to use r8r for my end game gear. But after having many, many, many unsuccessful rerolls I've said enough, and am just getting R9. I know I've dumped well over 100 mil just in rerolls. And I'm not being overly picky for my stats either. But currently my stats are cringe-worthy they are so bad. If I was a cleric, they'd be fantastic, but for archer they suck.

Also I don't consider the money on my bow a waste at all. It's so pretty and sparkly. Plus it matches my wings perfectly. The rrr9 bow is uglier than a warthog's backside.

Even if the s3r9 bow is ugly as all hell, this I will not dispute. It still hits like a truck, and purges. The Warsoul bow only does 1/2 of that equation. Even if it has better aesthetics then the s3r9 bow it is still inferior.