Blade Tempest damage

Options
Burnificator - Archosaur
Burnificator - Archosaur Posts: 170 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Wizard
I want to know why does BT consistently hit harder than BIDS, even though the numbers are lower (doubled up is 400% weap dmg + ~7.6k VS 500% weap dmg + ~9.6k). My own theory is something about PDEF being generally lower than MDEF). I am talking PvE only, haven't tested in PvP. Maybe Adroit could shine some light on this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizards - the only pyromaniac class.
Post edited by Burnificator - Archosaur on

Comments

• PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    you do know that mobs don't have equal defences for all elements right?
    you can check their defences in pwdatabase...
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Elchesh - Heavens Tear
    Elchesh - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I have noticed better dmg with BT in pve and pvp over BIDS. But, as stated above, it could have been the mobs had lower defenses on fire and phy.

BIDS does seem to do decent dmg against barbs but I would use BT for any AA or LA user. If a BM is mag marrowed then BT does really good dmg to them.
  • Burnificator - Archosaur
    edited September 2013
    Options
    you do know that mobs don't have equal defences for all elements right?
    you can check their defences in pwdatabase...
    Funny thing... I do happen to know that somehow. Basically the only time BIDS outdamages BT is when I am hitting fire or phys resist mobs.

BT also hits harder on the damage test mob, which shouldn't have any defenses whatsoever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I think base magic damage applies twice as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options

yup, and this is the main reason BT hits so much harder than any other of our skills at end game.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • winningpsychic
    winningpsychic Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    yup, and this is the main reason BT hits so much harder than any other of our skills at end game.
    Thanks, I didn't think of this. Double base magic damage makes sense.

Slightly off-topic, how did you manage to hit for 13M?! o_O I always wanted to ask, even back when it was only 7 mil. I just never figured out how to PM on the forums, since clicking avatars brings you to the Core pages...
    edited September 2013
    Options

Slightly off-topic, how did you manage to hit for 13M?! o_O I always wanted to ask, even back when it was only 7 mil. I just never figured out how to PM on the forums, since clicking avatars brings you to the Core pages...
    Woops, posted from my alt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The 13m+ hit is just a hit with nearly every useful amp/debuff I could think of. I went out to the level 1 mob (sea dragon thingy) by raging tides with 100m hp.. got full buffs (namely: ep buffs, mystic +dmg in pve dmg buff, guild base rage damage buff, 105 nw pot), got a friend or two to use every imaginable amp on it (sage veno amp, bm dragons, sage subsea, another wiz for ice prison, got a maxed seeker with over 180 def lvl to transfer the def level debuff and use the +dmg pve amps), and then just a triple spark + frenzy + BT crit. I did get a 6.99m non crit hit too, so I'm fairly sure a 14m+ hit it possible with my gear (higher with a deity build obviously :P).
  • XEmpX - Heavens Tear
    XEmpX - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Was it undined as well? also EP and Spark skill? If not you could go well over 14
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Was it undined as well? also EP and Spark skill? If not you could go well over 14

The mob has no mdef, so undine and spark do nothing. Also poison does not stack with subsea so I don't think I could get too much higher than 14m.
    edited September 2013
    Options

The 13m+ hit is just a hit with nearly every useful amp/debuff I could think of. I went out to the level 1 mob (sea dragon thingy) by raging tides with 100m hp.. got full buffs (namely: ep buffs, mystic +dmg in pve dmg buff, guild base rage damage buff, 105 nw pot), got a friend or two to use every imaginable amp on it (sage veno amp, bm dragons, sage subsea, another wiz for ice prison, got a maxed seeker with over 180 def lvl to transfer the def level debuff and use the +dmg pve amps), and then just a triple spark + frenzy + BT crit. I did get a 6.99m non crit hit too, so I'm fairly sure a 14m+ hit it possible with my gear (higher with a deity build obviously :P).

Whoa. I assume then that this is close to the maximal potential wizard damage (until there's eventually gonna be rank 10). How many tries did that take (I mean, getting the actual crit up, since some debuffs last less long than it takes to obtain the (total 5) sparks, so it probably had to re-debuffed for every try)? Also, is frenzy a good skill for a wiz?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Whoa. I assume then that this is close to the maximal potential wizard damage (until there's eventually gonna be rank 10). How many tries did that take (I mean, getting the actual crit up, since some debuffs last less long than it takes to obtain the (total 5) sparks, so it probably had to re-debuffed for every try)? Also, is frenzy a good skill for a wiz?

Well I focus more on survival than damage in my gear choices, so someone that for example used deity stones instead of josd could potentially hit a bit harder. Also, a friend has been trying to convince me to do a damage test in trials because apparently there are some pretty insane buffs in there (I've never actually tried), so it may be possible to hit quite a bit harder in there. On the mob I tried on though, I think it is near the maximum potential for a wiz in my gear :P

I think it took me 3 or 4 tries to get my crit, and yeah.. had to redebuff it every time (seeker cd on pve debuffs was the longest.. I think they are ~3 mins cd).. so took me ~15 mins for the entire damage test.

I don't think frenzy is a very good skill for most situations, it just doesn't increase damage enough to make it worthwhile most of the time. It also costs a lot of energy and significantly lowers your survivability.. so I don't have it on my usual genie. I don't really use it other than for damage tests :P
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Well I focus more on survival than damage in my gear choices, so someone that for example used deity stones instead of josd could potentially hit a bit harder. Also, a friend has been trying to convince me to do a damage test in trials because apparently there are some pretty insane buffs in there (I've never actually tried), so it may be possible to hit quite a bit harder in there. On the mob I tried on though, I think it is near the maximum potential for a wiz in my gear :P

I think it took me 3 or 4 tries to get my crit, and yeah.. had to redebuff it every time (seeker cd on pve debuffs was the longest.. I think they are ~3 mins cd).. so took me ~15 mins for the entire damage test.

I don't think frenzy is a very good skill for most situations, it just doesn't increase damage enough to make it worthwhile most of the time. It also costs a lot of energy and significantly lowers your survivability.. so I don't have it on my usual genie. I don't really use it other than for damage tests :P

Speaking of survival, I have 6k buffed at the moment, but my gear is not complete yet. Is that any good?

My highest hit was something along 400k on a boss in 59, undined, amped, howl'd (veno pet debuff for mdef) and HF'd. Speaking of undine, I think it is quite underrated. Apart from its debuff value, it's an excellent poke skill - great for finishing off these pesky survivors or doing the hands in FC while dishing out otherwise, since it is a very fast cast and channel.

Another thing, quite a few times I got people asking why I use the starting skills (gush, pyro, etc). I think that they hit quite hard and are fast casts with small cooldown, so that alone should make them quite useful, right?

Genie-wise, I have Holy Path (who doens't?), Leaf Dance (might consider swapping it for something), Earthquake (total lifesaver sometimes), Mage Star (it's a wizard exclusive "**** you I take no damage" on magic bosses) and Cloud Eruption (at full chi -> spark, cloud, sutra => spark murderfest, or replace sutra with one of the ultimates for AoE destruction). Should I swap any of these out for something else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Speaking of survival, I have 6k buffed at the moment, but my gear is not complete yet. Is that any good?

My highest hit was something along 400k on a boss in 59, undined, amped, howl'd (veno pet debuff for mdef) and HF'd. Speaking of undine, I think it is quite underrated. Apart from its debuff value, it's an excellent poke skill - great for finishing off these pesky survivors or doing the hands in FC while dishing out otherwise, since it is a very fast cast and channel.

Another thing, quite a few times I got people asking why I use the starting skills (gush, pyro, etc). I think that they hit quite hard and are fast casts with small cooldown, so that alone should make them quite useful, right?

Genie-wise, I have Holy Path (who doens't?), Leaf Dance (might consider swapping it for something), Earthquake (total lifesaver sometimes), Mage Star (it's a wizard exclusive "**** you I take no damage" on magic bosses) and Cloud Eruption (at full chi -> spark, cloud, sutra => spark murderfest, or replace sutra with one of the ultimates for AoE destruction). Should I swap any of these out for something else?

Undine is a fantastic skill, although I can't really say I use it for damage unless I'm just derping around picking on someone with **** gear. The starter skills are our bread and butter skills, and they should be some of your most used skills (for both pve and pvp). You are correct that the quick casts and short cooldown make them very useful.

As far as your survival and genie, it really just depends what you want to use your character for. If you are saying you have 6k hp with barb buff, you may struggle a bit in some instances, but you'll probably be able to get by for most stuff. In terms of pvp, it would probably just be an exercise in frustration with hp that low, you'd just be getting one shot left and right. Kinda the same for your genie.. for pve you could probably get by for most stuff (although fitting expel/domain on there in place of leaf dance/mage star/earthquake might be worthwhlie), but that genie would be absolutely horrendous for pvp. I'm not big on pve stuff, so I'm probably one of the last people you'd want to ask about such things.. but there are lots of others that are more familiar with the current pve content that could help you out more.
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Undine is a fantastic skill, although I can't really say I use it for damage unless I'm just derping around picking on someone with **** gear. The starter skills are our bread and butter skills, and they should be some of your most used skills (for both pve and pvp). You are correct that the quick casts and short cooldown make them very useful.

As far as your survival and genie, it really just depends what you want to use your character for. If you are saying you have 6k hp with barb buff, you may struggle a bit in some instances, but you'll probably be able to get by for most stuff. In terms of pvp, it would probably just be an exercise in frustration with hp that low, you'd just be getting one shot left and right. Kinda the same for your genie.. for pve you could probably get by for most stuff (although fitting expel/domain on there in place of leaf dance/mage star/earthquake might be worthwhlie), but that genie would be absolutely horrendous for pvp. I'm not big on pve stuff, so I'm probably one of the last people you'd want to ask about such things.. but there are lots of others that are more familiar with the current pve content that could help you out more.

I am a PvE wizard indeed, and not planning to go PvP until I get some decent gear, which is why I rolled a farming sin. Leaf dance is the one skill I am considering kicking out eventually, just for the skill slot since it fits within the affinities already. I will probably just make a genie from all the spirit I have left over with new skills on it and everything. As far as PvP goes I can only ever kill noob sins so that's not a lot. I am just going to shard everything with lumi exclusives and refine for HP so I might end up at 10-12k buffed eventually. From what I have experienced, a wiz with 10k+ HP is OP in PvE. I recently also got sage Stone Barrier which is phat, however I still tend to rely on cleric buffs and poultices/barb buff for maximized survival.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]