Arc FAQs -Updated 1.22.14

synchroze
synchroze Posts: 0
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
Updated 1.22.14:

I'm updating this thread with the following links for more arc info:

-Arc News homepage on the new arcgames.com beta website.
-Arcgames.com and the new beta client
-Newest Arc FAQ!

The Arc FAQ has many answers to common questions and not so common, such as the arc plugin permission request on chrome when accessing our websites.

When using Chrome, I get a security notification asking to allow "ArcPlugin" to run. What does this Plugin do?

The ArcPlugin allows you to launch games directly from the browser. Once it is allowed to run, you can launch an installed game via Arc by clicking its "Play Game" link on the Arcgames.com website.

-DoD

Hey everyone,

We've created an FAQ answering many questions that all of you have about the new platform. Feel free to reference the FAQ here. If you have any questions that aren't answered in the FAQ, please ask them here and I'll try and get an answer for you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DoodsWH - Sanctuary
    DoodsWH - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For those of us who refuse to touch another game by you and spend alot of money (look my account up) that dont want to be forced into arc yet according to the faq this will happen. if this is the only game I play then arc is not an improvement.

If forced on us im afraid my alternative is to bail on what i feel was an investment. which now seems like a poor one. are you going to address that or is it more tough cookies.

How does it improve account security. I purposely make diff passwords and logins for different programs even for the same company. single sign on allows a person to be way more mischievous if they compromise you, I'm glad your making it even easier.

As far as awards seeing as what has been there before and other things u send i dont really see that is worth it. At all. paltry items for what alot of us dont need. Want to make more money try listening to the population not your marketeers.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2013
    Just an update....

So far the poll shows that merely 7.17% of our readers are in love with ARC, and that an overwhelming 92.83% would prefer the three other classic methods.

I am even more amazed that we have gotten so little response to this from the GM's and even less from our Community Manager. (Who incidentally, is now leaving us.)

At least bring back the torrent method. That's the easiest and has the least amount of load on your distribution servers. Not to mention that it has a lower overhead cost than Pando.

We got a token response to this in a Quality Corner thread, but have not gotten anything definitive at all. Basically we just got the typical PWE cop-out response. IMHO, we deserve a better response than that. At a minimum, please explain exactly why you "cannot simply go back to [y]our previous distribution methods", and what your future plan is, with some kind of ETA to a viable alternative to ARC.

I still haven't gotten an answer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But will it include an ARTPOP app?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    synchroze wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We've created an FAQ answering many questions that all of you have about the new platform. Feel free to reference the FAQ here. If you have any questions that aren't answered in the FAQ, please ask them here and I'll try and get an answer for you.

Arc can suck the big one, honestly. The fact that your company has failed to address any player concerns over why this isn't optional, but now mandatory or GTFO, is pretty damn silly.

1.) It doesn't matter if it hogs 1GB of space at the minimum and/or 100MB of RAM or less at the minimum. It's another piece of proprietary garbage DRM, designed by the same people behind the infamous "Core Client" beta PoS.

2.) If the software is downloading directly from Perfect World Entertainment's servers, then why are the players being forced to download this application in order to get a direct download of the game?

3.) What sort of advantages are we exactly getting by downloading and installing a rip-off Steam for PWE's game collection? It provides no extra benefit. Auto-login? Lol, that's a joke. Super special prizes? Highly, highly, highly doubt it. When was the last time PWE gave out a single "good reward" or "thoughtful in-game goodie", that wasn't designed for sucking my wallet dry or a worthless item?

Lastly, stop ignoring your player base PWE. You've lost a lot of people already, and by making this DRM mandatory, you will surely loose many more people. If that's your plan, shut the servers down now to save us some free time we could have used for a better company's game.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • synchroze
    synchroze Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    Arc can suck the big one, honestly. The fact that your company has failed to address any player concerns over why this isn't optional, but now mandatory or GTFO, is pretty damn silly.

1.) It doesn't matter if it hogs 1GB of space at the minimum and/or 100MB of RAM or less at the minimum. It's another piece of proprietary garbage DRM, designed by the same people behind the infamous "Core Client" beta PoS.

2.) If the software is downloading directly from Perfect World Entertainment's servers, then why are the players being forced to download this application in order to get a direct download of the game?

3.) What sort of advantages are we exactly getting by downloading and installing a rip-off Steam for PWE's game collection? It provides no extra benefit. Auto-login? Lol, that's a joke. Super special prizes? Highly, highly, highly doubt it. When was the last time PWE gave out a single "good reward" or "thoughtful in-game goodie", that wasn't designed for sucking my wallet dry or a worthless item?

Lastly, stop ignoring your player base PWE. You've lost a lot of people already, and by making this DRM mandatory, you will surely loose many more people. If that's your plan, shut the servers down now to save us some free time we could have used for a better company's game.

We're not ignoring our players. In fact we're gathering information and feedback from the community. I plan to share any answers or updates I get from our development team but for now the only information I currently have is information addressed in the FAQ.

We are currently in the early development stages of the Arc platform. Arc is the next big thing for Perfect World Entertainment and we plan to continue to build on it. We want to provide everyone with the best user experience possible and any feedback that we can work with will help us greatly.

Please keep in mind that I want this thread to be constructive and not volatile. So please remember the forum rules of conduct when posting.
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We're not ignoring our players. In fact we're gathering information and feedback from the community. I plan to share any answers or updates I get from our development team but for now the only information I currently have is information addressed in the FAQ.

We are currently in the early development stages of the Arc platform. Arc is the next big thing for Perfect World Entertainment and we plan to continue to build on it. We want to provide everyone with the best user experience possible and any feedback that we can work with will help us greatly.

Please keep in mind that I want this thread to be constructive and not volatile. So please remember the forum rules of conduct when posting.

If you and your corporation are looking to provide the best user experience, you would have thousands of more players in the game and on these forums that didn't quit because of poor support, communication, and direction of your said company.

On the topic at hand; you state that this is a work in progress. How-so? This is the Core Client, without the "Beta", and a fancy re-name to "Arc". On top of this, you stated that not only your company, but you personally are looking to provide the best user experience. So, again (knowing the answer in the back of my mind), I ask - how-so? You are bundling a complementary RAM/CPU hog in order to play your games (DRM), and selling it as a complete product.

There has been no response to why the direct download option has been removed.
    There has been no response to why the torrent option has been removed.
    There has been no response to why the player(s) are forced to use Arc to play the game(s) by your company.

If you haven't ignored the players, why does it look like it? There have been threads under the technical support section since day one of the super-special Arc's release debut, that have absolutely 0 responses by anyone from (employed) at your company. The lengthy thread here has gotten a lot of support from your company?

Pot, meet kettle.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We're not ignoring our players.

Must have not noticed SylenThunder, huh?

synchroze, get out.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just a thought I and my friends, do not, will not play or own any game that requires any form of DRM distribution that includes Steam. In fact we make it a point not to support such idiocy.
    Wonder how you count our numbers in all your research.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok here's my question; Why will Arc be mandatory? If I already have the game downloaded, installed, and playable on my computer, will I seriously have to get this Arc thing still to eat space on my comp for no reason if I want to play? Seems a little pushy and redundant....

f:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nayely - Sanctuary
    Nayely - Sanctuary Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok here's my question; Why will Arc be mandatory? If I already have the game downloaded, installed, and playable on my computer, will I seriously have to get this Arc thing still to eat space on my comp for no reason if I want to play? Seems a little pushy and redundant....

f:angry

I agree, Just seems like a pain too me.
    He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's like ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And ... He's wonderful.f:shy
  • xkanx
    xkanx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Honestly I dont think they care about these games anymore. They got the publishing deal for DOTA 2 in China and well MOBAs are the most played games in the world atm. So im sure China/US regions will do w/e they want gaming wise cause they know they will have the #2 most played game in the world in china (could honestly creep to #1 depending on how Korea sways)
  • Nudimmud - Lost City
    Nudimmud - Lost City Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited August 2013

ARC should really not be the "next big thing." Whoever the heck is pushing this idea so hard needs a reality check at the overall consumer response to it.

How about leaving our game access/downloading the way it is and focusing instead on fixing bugs and balancing the game better?
  • Nayely - Sanctuary
    Nayely - Sanctuary Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ARC should really not be the "next big thing." Whoever the heck is pushing this idea so hard needs a reality check at the overall consumer response to it.

How about leaving our game access/downloading the way it is and focusing instead on fixing bugs and balancing the game better?

I totally agree with this as well. Seems like they are more about losing players instead of gaining. Either way no one really cares obviously.f:meh
    He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's like ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And ... He's wonderful.f:shy
  • Nudimmud - Lost City
    Nudimmud - Lost City Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This really just seems like a huge attempt by the management to get the players to play more of their games.

Personally, I will NEVER play another PWE game due to the horrible way I have seen this game run, and I am definitely considering whether I want to stay in this game due to them starting to force unnecessary programs upon the players.

Noone should be forced to download and use unnecessary programs that have no viable or helpful impact upon the gameplay itself.

We are here to play a game. We chose a specific game. You are ignoring the root of the problem and focusing on junk that just makes your player-base mad.
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just one advice - don't try to next Steam, you will not be successful. Having a launcher for game is more than enough, I can get automatic updates there. If I play PWI I really don't care about other PWE games. Partly cause of the bad support PWI had for the past 4 years I played, partly cause new PWE games are not that good to be bothered with.
    So instead of making "next big thing", invest in next big support. That's whats important to players, having support, active CM that reads forums and responds to our questions. Also would be nice that CM have boss that actually care about things that CM says to him that community wants or doesn't want.
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...Having a launcher for game is more than enough, I can get automatic updates there...

I not use those launcher for updates often, because large patches better to download manually.
  • Titoto - Raging Tide
    Titoto - Raging Tide Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    synchroze wrote:
    We're Not Ignoring Our Players. In Fact We're Gathering Information And Feedback From The Community. I Plan To Share Any Answers Or Updates I Get From Our Development Team But For Now The Only Information I Currently Have Is Information Addressed In The Faq.

We Are Currently In The Early Development Stages Of The Arc Platform. Arc Is The Next Big Thing For Perfect World Entertainment And We Plan To Continue To Build On It. We Want To Provide Everyone With The Best User Experience Possible And Any Feedback That We Can Work With Will Help Us Greatly.

Please Keep In Mind That I Want This Thread To Be Constructive And Not Volatile. So Please Remember The Forum Rules Of Conduct When Posting.
    if You And Your Corporation Are Looking To Provide The Best User Experience, You Would Have Thousands Of More Players In The Game And On These Forums That Didn't Quit Because Of Poor Support, Communication, And Direction Of Your Said Company.

On The Topic At Hand; You State That This Is A Work In Progress. How-so? This Is The Core Client, Without The "beta", And A Fancy Re-name To "arc". On Top Of This, You Stated That Not Only Your Company, But You Personally Are Looking To Provide The Best User Experience. So, Again (knowing The Answer In The Back Of My Mind), I Ask - How-so? You Are Bundling A Complementary Ram/cpu Hog In Order To Play Your Games (drm), And Selling It As A Complete Product.

There Has Been No Response To Why The Direct Download Option Has Been Removed.
    There Has Been No Response To Why The Torrent Option Has Been Removed.
    There Has Been No Response To Why The Player(s) Are Forced To Use Arc To Play The Game(s) By Your Company.

If You Haven't Ignored The Players, Why Does It Look Like It? There Have Been Threads Under The Technical Support Section Since Day One Of The Super-special Arc's Release Debut, That Have Absolutely 0 Responses By Anyone From (employed) At Your Company. The Lengthy Thread here Has Gotten A Lot Of Support From Your Company?

Pot, Meet Kettle.

@synchroze, not replying to this (and we know u prbly check this thread more than 1 time a day) will be ignoring the player base and srry for the angry set of people here but after seeing 3 CM"s come and go (thts how much i know, dont know if there's more) with the last one making some good progress then vanishing leaving us with a **** load of problems still lingering u cant blame us, in fact if i were you and was told to come here even as a temporary CM i would have told my superior to shove it. b:bye
    My forum avatar has been through so many changes by itself it's not even funny -.-
  • Musing_Heart - Heavens Tear
    Musing_Heart - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey everyone,

I first played PW in Feb 2009, even though I had to move a few times and was away for a couple months: I ALWAYS was able to load and play the game (even with a 486) until about 2011. Then for some reason I had problems successfully loading the game. So I checked out Jade Empire and enjoyed it until I got a new computer (hp quad core with WIN -8) ok so i think it should be renamed LOSER version 8 but that is no fault of PWI. XP-Pro was a much better version for useability. The START screen messes up with so many programs and ARC / STEAM are two of them.

I first tried STEAM following the suggestion of some of my fellow guild members when I was having problems with the update.exe FW client. It worked for a while but then apparently was not getting properly updated as it crashed.

Deleted it and followed another suggestion of running 'game.exe' which DID work. until the latest update which REQUIRES ARC. Now i can't get ARC to do anything but download/ install and freeze up. No console shows up. No download options to get FW to work.

Out of curiosity I went back and checked PW.Eureka! it still works!!!

But now you are saying I won't be able to play that either.

Marvelous, simply marvelous.

Oh and btw with your planned remodeling of the Core Account: wonderful job - I can't get anything accepted as a purchase for PW. I have seen others complain about the same problem.

My comment is PWI is working THIER folks on trying to get out a decent game * and in many ways they have* but ARC is not under their control so when there is a glitch or problem PWI is going to suffer: as they will with the loss of me and others as game players SOLELY because ARC is not working. Not a good idea overall.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have the same questions as the other posters in this thread.

-Why were the alternative download methods/torrents removed?
    -Why is ARC the only way to download the game right now?
    -Why there has been no actual response to SylenThunder's post?
    -Why is the company forcing the customers to use ARC even though they don't want it all? Can't it be optional?
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • ObviousAlt - Raging Tide
    ObviousAlt - Raging Tide Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so yeah another program to lower my fps even during TWs..
    102 Celestial Demon Archer (2nd Rebirth 102)
    101 Celestial Sage Blademaster (Rebirth 100)
    101 Demon Sin (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Seeker (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Wiz (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Cleric (Rebirth 100)
    101 Sage Barb (Rebirth 100)
    101 Demon Duskblade (2nd Rebirth 101)
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    so yeah another program to lower my fps even during TWs..

It would be possible to disable it, I think.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2013
    If you and your corporation are looking to provide the best user experience, you would have thousands of more players in the game and on these forums that didn't quit because of poor support, communication, and direction of your said company.

On the topic at hand; you state that this is a work in progress. How-so? This is the Core Client, without the "Beta", and a fancy re-name to "Arc". On top of this, you stated that not only your company, but you personally are looking to provide the best user experience. So, again (knowing the answer in the back of my mind), I ask - how-so? You are bundling a complementary RAM/CPU hog in order to play your games (DRM), and selling it as a complete product.

There has been no response to why the direct download option has been removed.
    There has been no response to why the torrent option has been removed.
    There has been no response to why the player(s) are forced to use Arc to play the game(s) by your company.

If you haven't ignored the players, why does it look like it? There have been threads under the technical support section since day one of the super-special Arc's release debut, that have absolutely 0 responses by anyone from (employed) at your company. The lengthy thread here has gotten a lot of support from your company?

Pot, meet kettle.
    @synchroze, not replying to this (and we know u prbly check this thread more than 1 time a day) will be ignoring the player base and srry for the angry set of people here but after seeing 3 CM"s come and go (thts how much i know, dont know if there's more) with the last one making some good progress then vanishing leaving us with a **** load of problems still lingering u cant blame us, in fact if i were you and was told to come here even as a temporary CM i would have told my superior to shove it. b:bye
    I have the same questions as the other posters in this thread.

-Why were the alternative download methods/torrents removed?
    -Why is ARC the only way to download the game right now?
    -Why there has been no actual response to SylenThunder's post?
    -Why is the company forcing the customers to use ARC even though they don't want it all? Can't it be optional?
    Se we're asking the questions, and we're being ignored...

You say that we're not, but look at the facts...
    The information has already been gathered. If you don't have the information to answer these questions we've been asking for a long time now, then you aren't doing a very good job and finding out answers.
    If it's in such early stages, then why wasn't it an option?
    I've been entirely constructive, and completely civil. We're just fed up with not being answered. It's not like it's even hard to answer. I can understand that the management may not want to release a lot of details about their descisions, but this is such a simple question to answer we don't need anything and involved.

So again I post...
    So far the poll shows that merely 5.98% of our readers are in love with ARC, and that an overwhelming 94.03% would prefer one of the three other classic methods.

I am even more amazed that we have gotten so little response to this from the GM's and even less from our Community Manager. (Who incidentally, is now leaving us.)

At least bring back the torrent method. That's the easiest and has the least amount of load on your distribution servers. Not to mention that it has a lower overhead cost than Pando.

We got a token response to this in a Quality Corner thread, but have not gotten anything definitive at all. Basically we just got the typical PWE cop-out response. IMHO, we deserve a better response than that. At a minimum, please explain exactly why you "cannot simply go back to [y]our previous distribution methods", and what your future plan is, with some kind of ETA to a viable alternative to ARC.
    Edited to update the data.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skyforger - Dreamweaver
    Skyforger - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well the answer as it always have to wait very long at all, or does not exist. Secondary program, I also will not play quality (highest resolution), will feel themselves particularly in places where the accumulation of more players. : \
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Mr CM...

I'll say this kindly.. if you do not know the answers to these questions just say so, or respond with "im finding out from my boss" but if you not doing the latter just do the former. A "I don't know" will end the rage or at least some of it thats growing towards you. Then we too understand that you do not know the answers to our questions.

But this community has a lot of rage, especially cause the majority of the things are not being answered or addressed. So unfortunately you are the poor guy who has to handle the rage that the previous CM's got no information to. (Except val, he was awesome) Its the same thing as a product you buy. "Why's my car's windshield wipers not working?" If you are getting ignored you will feel extremely angry. But a "I don't know" would ease your anger a bit.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We're not ignoring our players.

And you've had two months to give him an answer... I don't think that's asking too much.

Your FAQs are useless to me. There is no question on there asking why you are forcing this on us, and what will happen to players like myself that refuse to ever download ARC. Which just happens to be the most frequently asked question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Mikosu - Sanctuary
    Mikosu - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Arc is the next big thing for Perfect World Entertainment and we plan to continue to build on it...

I wish the next big thing for PWE was improving PWI b:surrender
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wish the next big thing for PWE was improving PWI b:surrender

The game engine is from 2004-ish, I doubt that they will do any overhauling to it. As technology advances, older game engines will eventually get left behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Jesya - Lost City
    Jesya - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1) Is the usage of ARC going to be mandatory? If so, WHY and WHEN.
    2) Is this ARC software owned by another organization? How are you guaranteeing my account information is safe by using a 3rd party service provider? How are you guaranteeing the security of financial information for those who cash shop? (Assuming ARC is not proprietary to PWI)
    3) Does this program work 100% as intended to before mandatory rollout (I'm assuming it's mandatory)-- or is this another Core Connect debacle-- where it works half assed and we are promised fixes that never come?
    4) Why does PWI ignore their community when they clearly are against using this platform?
    b:bye
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    A lot of (civil) replies to this topic so far and the fact is that 100% of them are not really in favor of Arc. If you read that, PWE staff, I hope you can see what the communiy thinks about that "next big thing"
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can we get those questions answered? Any reply will be fine, even if its no.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-