Download on one machine, play on another

Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Quality Corner
You asked for specific ARC problems? Here's another.

It is common to have a much better internet connection at work than at home.

Prior to ARC, I could download the game onto a thumbdrive at work; go home, install it, and play it.

I can still do this with patches; but only because I know how to go looking for the .cup files (and because someoen is nice enough to post them in the forum)

I can no longer do this with the game as a whole.

More importantly to you - new players can't do this either. You're losing some number of players who want to do this, can't, and go find another game instead.

Solution:
Ok; you don't want to host the file because it's a high cost for your bandwidth.
Solutions exist. Bittorrent is still a barrier for some; but is normal enough for many people now.
Several sites such as mega.co.nz exist to provide online file transfers. Choose a couple, and link to them as mirrors.
Make it clear that you permit people who want to, to host your full installer.
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree that this is annoying. I have a really old laptop that can barely download anything but I like to have PW on it as a backup, and that would be my normal method.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • MyMate - Dreamweaver
    MyMate - Dreamweaver Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is this a new issue with ARC? :o I dl'ed game throu ARC ~1 month ago cause I wanted a fresh copy of the game, and I have moved it to 3 different computers that doesn't have ARC installed and it works like it normally did. If they actually removed that option too, well that's just plain evil =S

*Edit

I realized what you said was you took the installation file and tried to install it on another computer. Have you tried to install the game directly on the computer you dl'ed the game on and then move it to your portable device? Or download ARC on your other computer prior to trying to install the game?

Sorry if I misunderstood xD
    "In the beginning, it was claimed that all in Perfect World were equal. But now it seems that some are more equal than others..." ~ Lost City Recluse
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Go to perfect world entertainment folder find

PWI_en

move this folder

in the destination machine, create a link to PWI_en/element/elementclient.exe

When you first click it will start the patcher, if the game is already running then you can use this same link to start a new client bypassing the patcher. b:bye
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • STrickeeN - Harshlands
    STrickeeN - Harshlands Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i have the same problem, i tried to dowload game through ARC, but it says "its not possible coz blah blha.." then i had to copy my folder and mvoe to the other pc, which needs all the patches, (version 641 currently.) Tried to get all the patches, but them r not working either... PWI u cannot fail in such things..In addition there r no patches for lower versions..

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1717

check it out some links r not working.