new spambot

Comments

• Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And now they spam bot is on Raging Tide lvl 1 cleric named Weriena selling lvl 1 Wand for 1m coins lol scammer/spammer-bot. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Myisho - Dreamweaver
    Myisho - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i think the one on dreamweaver is right under ws npc as well cant click it
  • Nyxsa - Heavens Tear
    Nyxsa - Heavens Tear Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is confirmed that this is happening to HT as well; several faction mates have spoken about it right now as well as people in wc about it. b:angry go away you annoying BOT!!!

YUP it has been confirmed ~ Beganey - NONAME SOFT in middle of the platform
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RA Demonic Veno ~ Beloved Wife and Newlywed to Zulwarn and a Soldier of Borealis
  • XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear
    XShadowshotx - Heavens Tear Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have already sent in a ticket with a screenshot of said scammer/hacker pming myself. Have two more since the I sent in the ticket. I have encouraged other players to do the same via world chat. Hopefully this person gets banned and any software they are using to bot gets found. Cuz theres no way to have spaces in your name nowadays and when I get pm'd its NONAME SOFT.
  • OOoYumeOoO - Heavens Tear
    OOoYumeOoO - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The spam is coming from BH archosaur platform from a cat shop named NONAME SOFT which is the name of the catshop while the name of the character is Beganey... weird, anyway lots of people reported it, it seems to be a lvl 1 gearless female cleric. But not the shop is gone and I didn't get anymore pms when i entered the platform area so I guess it's been solved
    edited July 2013
    Another issue I am encountering, it is a lvl 1 gearless cleric. I set my blacklist to filter all players below 30 and I still get pm's from said person.
  • Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear
    Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So far no sign of it on Heaven's Tear when I have been on, but I may have been super lucky with my timing. But as of now, I'm praying it doesn't come to HT while im online >:|

For the few HT players who have seen it, when did it happen for you? :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Someone reported it still being on Sanctuary but I didn't find it o.o
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Kanmi - Sanctuary
    Kanmi - Sanctuary Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • ResiaTri - Heavens Tear
    ResiaTri - Heavens Tear Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And people wonder why everything is taken away from us.

My fellow players...THIS is why we can't have nice things, because morons who make the bots ruin it for everyone.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited July 2013
    I think competing mmorpg's are doing this kinda of activity to ruin completely. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HEX_AT - Heavens Tear
    HEX_AT - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    HT Confirmed as well.. Has been Reported now

Stand setup..
    Catshop With Lv 1 Wand for 1m
    Shop Name: NONAME SOFT
    Char Name: Beganey
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    In the meantime, please block this spammer by doing the following:

Press F to open up your friendlist. From there, go to your blacklist, and filter private messages by blocking them for anyone under level 60 or 70. A spammer wouldn't take the time and go into the trouble of leveling a character so high just to spam people.

Personally i think Lv 60 - 70 is to High you should be Safe with about Lv 8 ~ 10
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    Found the one in Sanctuary and reported.
  • ResiaTri - Heavens Tear
    ResiaTri - Heavens Tear Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think competing mmorpg's are doing this kinda of activity to ruin completely. b:angry

Wouldn't that be classified as corrupt business activity? Or Illegal business activity?
  • zhangwuj1
    zhangwuj1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    funny how mods/GM cares so much about spam bot but no one bothers about those farm bots working 24/7 in heaven and hell for years.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Spambots (because they usually link to phishing sites) actively harm other players and undoubtedly violate Terms of Service; it's harder to prove that a farming character is, in fact, a bot, and their impact on other players is lesser (mostly by affecting the economy.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • zhangwuj1
    zhangwuj1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Spambots (because they usually link to phishing sites) actively harm other players and undoubtedly violate Terms of Service; it's harder to prove that a farming character is, in fact, a bot, and their impact on other players is lesser (mostly by affecting the economy.)

Spambots don't affect anyone unless they are dumb enough to believe those phishing sites and it's their fault for believing that there's free meals in the world, whereas farm bots inevitably affects everyone in terms of economy and unfairness to those who play legally.

Also, farm bots violate the Terms of Service too as they are 3rd party programs which shouldn't be used.

So i don't see any reasons at all why they should place any less importance in dealing with farm bots. Cause i really hate those botters getting scot free despite botting for years and me reporting them for years.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    zhangwuj1 wrote: »
    Spambots don't affect anyone unless they are dumb enough to believe those phishing sites and it's their fault for believing that there's free meals in the world, whereas farm bots inevitably affects everyone in terms of economy and unfairness to those who play legally.

Also, farm bots violate the Terms of Service too as they are 3rd party programs which shouldn't be used.

So i don't see any reasons at all why they should place any less importance in dealing with farm bots. Cause i really hate those botters getting scot free despite botting for years and me reporting them for years.

Mayfly did say it's not as easy to identify a farming BOT as it is to identify a clearly spamming BOT.

A lot of people can kill monsters and farm for hours and if you whisper them they might not answer. You can't be sure if that's a BOT or not, sometimes it's just not very clear thus they need to investigate which takes time.

Spamming BOTs are easy to identify and deal with which may seem like they have a priority.
    You'd be surprised by how many people actually believe spamming BOTs tough.
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I feel anyone that falls for the free gold, free gear, cheap gold fast delivery, or misc other spambot messages deserve to be ****. I don't care how naive they are. Fall for these moronic offers, then expect a virus, malware, keylogger etc to get put on your computer.

And as for the spambot creators, I wish it was legal to find them and hang them by their toes upside down, drizzle them with honey, and hover them over a ticked off giant fire ant mound until they perish from a slow painful death
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zhangwuj1 wrote: »

They don't place less importance on them. The problem is catching them.

Do you think GMs are in game watching for bots? No, it is up to players to ticket them. And guess what - spambots are so annoying that they get tickets flooding in. Whereas with farm bots, it is so hard to prove that most people don't bother ticketing, and when they do 9 out of 10 times they have no evidence.

I have ticketed farm bots that I have gone out of my way to prove were botting, and they got banned. GMs will deal with it if they are given any evidence, but otherwise they are likely too busy to bother following up with every unsubstantiated claim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Trollguard - Sanctuary
    Trollguard - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mayfly did say it's not as easy to identify a farming BOT as it is to identify a clearly spamming BOT.

A lot of people can kill monsters and farm for hours and if you whisper them they might not answer. You can't be sure if that's a BOT or not, sometimes it's just not very clear thus they need to investigate which takes time.

Spamming BOTs are easy to identify and deal with which may seem like they have a priority.
    You'd be surprised by how many people actually believe spamming BOTs tough.

How to simply identify a farming bot.

GM comes online on server. Start pm'ing suspected bot, and if reply, there's a chance it ain't a bot. If no reply, the GM can simply teleport the bot to a different location with mobs present. If the suspected bot, without hesitation or any human reaction, continues to dig nearby herbs or grind mobs and pick up loot, you have a confirmed bot.
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How to simply identify a farming bot.

GM comes online on server. Start pm'ing suspected bot, and if reply, there's a chance it ain't a bot. If no reply, the GM can simply teleport the bot to a different location with mobs present. If the suspected bot, without hesitation or any human reaction, continues to dig nearby herbs or grind mobs and pick up loot, you have a confirmed bot.

bot monitors whispers. if anything with GM pops, bot "dc'es". your moveb:cute
    to the outsider, everything seems simple...

btw, if I got teleported in a weird area with mobs, you can bet your life that I would start aoe'ing the sh*t out of them in case it's something special with awesome drops XD
    you only purge once #yopo
    edited July 2013

Personally i think Lv 60 - 70 is to High you should be Safe with about Lv 8 ~ 10
    [/QUOTE]

I have my blacklist set to filter anyone below level 30, and I still get pms from the bot I even have an SS of it pm'ing me with my blacklist up. So its not working. I've already reported them and I am going to do it again with the other screenshots I had taken since then.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I have my blacklist set to filter anyone below level 30, and I still get pms from the bot I even have an SS of it pm'ing me with my blacklist up. So its not working. I've already reported them and I am going to do it again with the other screenshots I had taken since then.

Oh wow, if that's the case, then that's quite annoying. I hope they clean it up soon.
    edited July 2013
    -removed-
    Still though, fall for a spambot website promising cheap and/or free anything, enjoy getting ****. Download a bot program from a third party site, enjoy getting ****. I have absolutely no sympathy for idiots.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    edited July 2013
    I have absolutely no sympathy for idiots.

This world is full of bad & good,beautiful & ugly,Idiot & Smart ppl. A newbie in this game isn't an idiot & not everyone is smart enough or have knowlegde about this phishing stuffs untill they encounter something really bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    This world is full of bad & good,beautiful & ugly,Idiot & Smart ppl. A newbie in this game isn't an idiot & not everyone is smart enough or have knowlegde about this phishing stuffs untill they encounter something really bad.

While most of what you said I agree with, however phishing/gold selling sites have been around since I started playing mmos 15 years ago. If people lack the common sense to use the brain they were given and realize if its too good to be true, then it probably is, then still I have no compassion for them.

And if the player is new, read the ToS; read the pop up on the log in screen, etc. It doesn't take a high reading level, and anyone above the See Spot Run books should be able to comprehend the warnings. And veteran players I really have no sympathy for when they get ****.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    While most of what you said I agree with, however phishing/gold selling sites have been around since I started playing mmos 15 years ago. If people lack the common sense to use the brain they were given and realize if its too good to be true, then it probably is, then still I have no compassion for them.

And if the player is new, read the ToS; read the pop up on the log in screen, etc. It doesn't take a high reading level, and anyone above the See Spot Run books should be able to comprehend the warnings. And veteran players I really have no sympathy for when they get ****.

Probably a lot of the victims are younger people who hadn't encountered the problem before. And don't have knowledge about these kinds of things, a lot of schools don't teach about those kinds of things. They really should when they give them basic computer lessons. >> I can't imagine an experienced (worldwise) veteran falling for something like that. And it's not like it's a pm from joe blow, you can't click whoever it is and whisper them back. Makes it appear more systematic. It's really a nasty spam bot. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. ^^ I think overall PWI has a good track record with getting rid of them though, though they seem to come back hard during the summer. :P

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2013
    Probably a lot of the victims are younger people who hadn't encountered the problem before. And don't have knowledge about these kinds of things, a lot of schools don't teach about those kinds of things. They really should when they give them basic computer lessons. >> I can't imagine an experienced (worldwise) veteran falling for something like that. And it's not like it's a pm from joe blow, you can't click whoever it is and whisper them back. Makes it appear more systematic. It's really a nasty spam bot. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. ^^ I think overall PWI has a good track record with getting rid of them though, though they seem to come back hard during the summer. :P

Yeah it does seem to be a nasty lil bugger. Have to give it to them though, pretty ingenious, but still wish its creator would step in front of a speeding bus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    looks like if it is the name of the catshop that is showing as the player that would make sense not being to click on the name in game and getting invalid user or what not when you try to pm it. You only can click on a valid name in chat by design.

More than likely they are replacing/injecting the catshops name for the toons name into the routine that handles messages being sent out to the server within the exe or from a process that is hooked into the message class(or routine). This is not really hard to do from a dev point of few and a lot of valid applications do this. Microsoft even has api's specifically for using its own message pipe line for Windowed and Windowless applications. Those have been around for decades.

The only fix for this is routines built in on the server end to reject invalid toon names on messeges sent to the chat subsystem or have an auth routine in the client that validates names before its sent(but that can still be defeated).

If this is how they are doing it, PW can have quite a serious issue to deal with, if its not.. its even more serious than that
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz