The R-word

mystryst
mystryst Posts: 80 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Support Desk
I have a problem getting into my game, and the problem's in the space between some players ears, and it's unimaginative vent onto their keyboards.

I'm sick of the R-word.

No, do not tell me to ignore the world chat; I need to watch it for questing, fc runs, etc.

Do not tell me to only watch squad chats or faction chats; they can say it in there too and it's what's driven me away from all my factions, and ruined many of my good days because no matter how nice the majority of the faction or squad there's always one person who can't think of any other word to express themselves.

Yes, that's probably a run on sentence which may be an affront to grammar, but it's still not as much of an affront that the R-word, that's constantly on the chats, is to me.

No, do not tell me to not play my game. I put a fair amount of money into my characters, and a lot of thought and love into their designs, and I really do love this game, I just don't like that one word.

PLEASE, IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF HOW I CAN BLOCK JUST ONE WORD FROM THE CHATS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW??

Is there's a folder somewhere I can fiddle with?
Is there a content filter program I can download for free somewhere?
Is there any option to me other than, duct taping my screen or just sucking it up like I have been for a year now, getting progressively more and more upset and having less and less faith in the goodness and compassion of other humans?
Is there a way to not just block everyone who says this as if it's no big deal, but also find their address and kick them in the face repeatedly for ever comparing the horrendous act that messes lives up irreparably to a videogame?

Heartless you're-being-silly-just-relax message's need not be entered in response. I'd like serious suggestions. I know some of you guys are hackers, tell me where I can fix this code please.

:(
Post edited by mystryst on

Comments

• Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They already did

which is why one dude named G****sRage got royally screwed. As in, his name was straight out censored

EDIT: lol, his name is G r_a pesRage, as in, the fruit
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They already did

which is why one dude named G****sRage got royally screwed. As in, his name was straight out censored

EDIT: lol, his name is G r_a pesRage, as in, the fruit

In game it's not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, and because of his name, and supposedly a few others, they've turned that filter off again. So when I turned on my game for about five minutes yesterday, excited to tear things up with my seeker, I was forced to see that headslicerr believed frost nation was **** light. Which of course messed up my whole night and I've been on the verge of tears ever since, because I want to play my game, but refuse to believe I should have to be reminded I really was once. Because that's what goes through my head everytime I see it, oh yah.. that happened to me once. Badly, and it was way freaking worse than a silly nation war, AND I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT RIGHT NOW!

So is there a free program I can download somewhere that will block this from just my computer, if this doesn't bother anyone else? If I'm the only one this upsets so much, can someone tell me where there's a line of code I can enter or something... because since it messed up his name (which is cute btw, like the grapes of wrath.. cute).. I have to see it from every person on the server who can't think of ANY other word, like decimate, destroy, kill, annihilate, mess-up, ruin, damage, ravage, wreck, assail, assault, spoil, violate, plunder, break, smash, etc.

For a server full of nerds, there are a massive amount of people who have absolutely no imagination.

So thank you for your response, but they removed that filter because of problems like his name. :(

Now, back to the question, how can I remove this word from my chats.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    I like how you assume that we can just "****" the game and do what we want with the code (most of which is humanly unreadable, btw)

It's like people asking how to **** facebook on yahoo answers lol

"hackers" aren't wizards like they seem to be in movies lol
    Channels

• mystryst
    edited July 2013
    I'm not assuming anything, I'm asking. I've run into someone who was able to walk through walls in the FC instance because he said he renamed some folders on his computer (no he wasn't a sin).

A human, no not a wizard, developed the code, and these words are written somewhere. They added this word to the list and removed it again. This means it CAN be changed. Logic dictates that the words are in code either somewhere on my computer itself, OR on their server where I can't reach it.

If it's on my computer, can someone direct me to it.

If it's not on my computer, can someone suggest a freeware filtering program compatible with this specific mmorpg?

If you don't have the answer, or anything helpful to add, please don't respond.
  • Alexlne - Dreamweaver
    Alexlne - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The problem with word filters is people can find creative ways around it, so even though PWi have made an effort to block out some words they can and still are sometimes used ingame just with some minor alteration so to avoid the filter.

It would help with problems like this if there was a word filter that could better distinguish between a word being used and the exact series of letters appearing in another word, then only blocking the word itself.
    I like how you assume that we can just "****" the game and do what we want with the code (most of which is humanly unreadable, btw)

It's like people asking how to **** facebook on yahoo answers lol

"hackers" aren't wizards like they seem to be in movies lol

If you've got nothing constructive to add to the point of the thread why not save that kinda attitude for multitude of threads on this forum where it does not come across as inconsiderate to the motivation behind the topic.

Asking about a "chat ****" as I interpret it was an attempt at *some* solution to the issue they have with that word not being filtered.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    The only real solution is to ask whomever in squad and fac chat to avoid speaking the word. Third party program use and game file modifications are not legal acts, afaik. Req. Mod clarification.

Edit: of course that is not an option in world / nation chat. PWE updating the filter will be the only option. Try submitting a ticket?

On a separate note it might be better to ask someone that runs a private server since they have a much better understanding of game files and server structure than we do. ( no reference to any specific private server, so should be mod safe since we all know they're out there.)
    Channels

• mystryst
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I've already been through that solution. Asking people in factions and squads to please not say that is what I've been doing for a year now. There's always a new person in the faction who doesn't know not to say it yet, and always someone in squad I have to see it from right before I have to say please don't.

I'm tired of repeating myself... I don't want to say it anymore, I don't even want to think about it anymore.

I just want to block it from my computer somehow, never think about it again, and just play my game.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    I edited my post while you were replying. Try asking a private server admin

Afaik the profanity filter is localized so you may be able to edit it.
    Channels

• mystryst
    edited July 2013
    I don't get why this is so hard. It's just one word and mmorpg's have been around for a while now.. someone must have figured out something for this issue by now.

There have to be other fixes, like maybe Grap3sRage and the few others who are affected might be willing to have their names altered like so?

If the F word had been in their name it wouldn't have allowed it, and they would have had to alter it, why not this word? In other words PWI would have to believe the R-word is as offensive as the others.. and apparently they don't.

Funny thing is, I don't care about any of the other words that are blocked.

-The A word is an donkey and a bodypart, long ago okayed by primetime television.
    -The B word is a female dog, and sometimes a derogatory term for a woman like me.
    -The Sh word has been around forever, I take one everyday and it doesn't upset me.
    -The F word is a word to describe sex without love, which sucks, but that's pretty much the jist of it, just sex without love.
    -I personally don't use the N word, for the same reason's I would expect someone not to use the R word.. I don't think it's cool or funny to use something that's associated with trauma and violence as regular lingo.. but I'm guessing that's blocked too.

Yet the R word, which is a term for an unconsenting sexual violation, is ok? On top of that it is used with such revelry on the server I'm really starting to wonder if there are any real humans left in the world, or just soul-less jerks with no personal morality or compassion for others...I'm also starting to think that the geeks that were my friends back in high school have all turned into the rude bullying jocks I avoided hanging out with...they're just nerd-jock's now.

And yah, there's always going to be someone going out of their way to respell it somehow, but if it's blocked it may also give some people the gumption to go pick up a thesaurus and think for themselves.
  • Eliteknight - Sanctuary
    Eliteknight - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mystryst wrote: »
    Yes, I've already been through that solution. Asking people in factions and squads to please not say that is what I've been doing for a year now. There's always a new person in the faction who doesn't know not to say it yet, and always someone in squad I have to see it from right before I have to say please don't.

I'm tired of repeating myself... I don't want to say it anymore, I don't even want to think about it anymore.

I just want to block it from my computer somehow, never think about it again, and just play my game.

Dont want to come across as a PR!CK, but if people cant spell out words like grapes? and other such things in front of you without you freaking out it may be time to seek counseling.
    Dont get me wrong, the act of the "R-Word" as you would say is a terrible deed but you cant control what everyone says, on this game.
    On a side note I think PW should do the same thing as another common mmorpg and add a option to turn on/off the filter based to your own wants/needs.
    Roes are RED, Carebears are blue, No one cares because GM'S still SCREWED YOU!!!!
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    The 3rd party part helps a bit.. I've been searching for downloadable filters all night with no luck so far.. maybe that'll help as well.

I'd have to ask around about private servers.. I didn't know anyone had such things.
    edited July 2013
    The 3rd party part helps a bit.. I've been searching for downloadable filters all night with no luck so far.. maybe that'll help as well.

I'd have to ask around about private servers.. I didn't know anyone had such things.

As far as I know a 3rd party is a violation against the TOS.

As someone mentioned you should maybe try to get some help in real life by a professional.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mystryst
    edited July 2013
    Well you failed Elite. If you read the other posts I made, I have no problem with Grapes name and am sorry when they tried to filter the offending word that it caused him problems. It's a cute name, I said.

I do have a problem with seeing it over and over in reference to the game when other words could be used. For example, light nation is R'ing dark, those R9 daggers really R!, your charm is getting R'ed, you're a cleric going into NW? You're going to get R'ed.

It's gotten worse over the past while.. I fear the Zombie invasion has already begun because no one seems to know any other words anymore.

It's constant, and I'm tired of it.

Again, if you don't have anything helpful to say, feel free to ignore the thread. I'm looking for help, not more people to hurt my feelings, and more things to stand up for myself over.
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    The word itself is a user code conduct violation.

I have the help I need, and some of that help suggests standing up for myself when I feel I need to.

Again, feel free to ignore the thread if you have nothing helpful to add... and thank you for providing more examples of the soulless uncompassionate types pervading this server.
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    This word itself violates the TOS. The Terms of Service this violates:

10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.

Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:
    (a) Harm minors in any way;

(f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;

(h) Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;

(n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.
    edited July 2013

I do have a problem with seeing it over and over in reference to the game when other words could be used. For example, light nation is R'ing dark, those R9 daggers really R!, your charm is getting R'ed, you're a cleric going into NW? You're going to get R'ed.

Yourself didn't find a other word to express what people mean when they use that word. You practically just suggest people to abbreviate the word, I'm not sure a abbreviation of the word will be better cause people will say it for the same reasons/meaning.

You should maybe try hypnosis or something like that, cause unfortunately you can't change the world (specially PWI's community) and as I said using a 3rd party is against the TOS.

You ask people to **** the game which is a bad action, no one will tell you here how to **** PWI, it's illegal to **** PWI in any ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This troll was well done, it was beautiful in its own way, kudos.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    I'm not suggesting they abbreviate the word, I was abbreviating it to show you examples of what I've read over and over.

I would suggest light is ravaging dark, that those R9 daggers decimate everything they touch, that your charm is getting depleted, and you're a cleric going into NW? You're going to get annihilated.

That wasn't my suggestion of change, those were abbreviations I made of actual phrases I've read on a daily basis.

Please go troll on another subject, as you obviously have nothing helpful to add.

Back to my question, is there any way for me to remove this ONE word from my chat if I am the only one it bothers?
    edited July 2013
    Please go troll on another subject, as you obviously have nothing helpful to add.

I'm sorry that you think I'm trolling when I say it's not allowed to **** PWI, cause I'm not trolling, it's true.
    Back to my question, is there any way for me to remove this ONE word from my chat if I am the only one it bothers?

No, there's no way to do that sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This thread is clearly a troll. Opening post was perfect after which it went slightly too far to be believable.

Make suggestion thread on right forum section PWI adds option to set up personal censor lists, which I have seen in other games. /thread.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • mystryst
    edited July 2013
    That one part about the third party issue is helpful, yes thank you. It also doesn't seem viable even if I broken the rules.. I see a lot of filters for the web in general, but that's not where I have the problem. The pwi chat is the only place I even run into this, and mostly over the past 6 months or so. I really rarely saw it during my first year of playing, but since march or so it's increased to everytime I turn on the game.

So my options so far are:

...hoping the developers take a stand and decide this is inappropriate
    ...find a private server? (that doesn't sound right.. all the toons I love are on this one)
    ...or just hope people learn new words.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013

Is there's a folder somewhere I can fiddle with? No
    Is there a content filter program I can download for free somewhere? No
    Is there any option to me other than, duct taping my screen or just sucking it up like I have been for a year now, getting progressively more and more upset and having less and less faith in the goodness and compassion of other humans? Other than blocking them (which I'll get to in a sec) and reporting the offenders, no.
    Is there a way to not just block everyone who says this as if it's no big deal, but also find their address and kick them in the face repeatedly for ever comparing the horrendous act that messes lives up irreparably to a videogame? While this would solve other problems, it isn't possible.

Heartless you're-being-silly-just-relax message's need not be entered in response. I'd like serious suggestions. I know some of you guys are hackers, tell me where I can fix this code please. - - "Hacking code" is also against the TOS, and is bannable.

:(

Responses in red, I'm also going to close this as talking about breaking the TOS, as well as talking about private servers is also against the TOS.

(For the record, there is a blacklist ingame, and should be located where the friends list is located)
This discussion has been closed.