PWI Challenge Mode: Group Edition

Options
2»

Comments

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I kind of fail to see why this is 'challenge mode' so much as 'actually playing the game mode'... or 'playing the game like a group of friends who just discovered the game and decided to play it together mode'... (at least I do upon looking at the basic 6 objectives in the first post)
    I guess what I mean to say is that it makes me a bit sad that a play through like this, at this point, would seem to have to be an organized 'project', as apposed to something that would just happen OTL

--also, if you're going to be mimicing older gameplay(wasn't originally noted but saw something about that last page) so not using the 'new' features that real new player groups would use, like reflection, and BH, and fruits, and whatnot... honestily I think you will need to be very clear with what dailies you are allowing. I'd figure obviousily WQ and Cube would be okay, since those have been around for forever, but....
    Are you allowing for genies (since genies weren't around until the fishes were) or no? I know you said there would be a veno so I would hope that'd mean veno pulls OTL (when I read the 'legit FB19 thread the second I saw veno-was-in-party-but-a-sin-with-zeal-pulled-anyway I basically had a 'nope, not legit.' reaction) And I know you said classes were open, but are you allowing sins/psys/seekers/mystics? What is your reasoning for your decision regarding these classes? And if you are zhenning butterflies or those sorts of zhennable things, are you doing hyperless zhenning?
    If you've answered any of these already you are free to just say so instead of repeating yourself OTL
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Man - Raging Tide
    Man - Raging Tide Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Good idea, would there be a requirement for how much time each player has to play?

Better would be a non-cs server or something.

My thought is you should do this on raging tide, and each char should put a certain *tag* in their name signifying their hardcore rules they are playing by to increase game funness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Good idea, would there be a requirement for how much time each player has to play?

Better would be a non-cs server or something.

My thought is you should do this on raging tide, and each char should put a certain *tag* in their name signifying their hardcore rules they are playing by to increase game funness

I thought RT was one of the more expensive servers right now? Which one is it that holds "The Greedy Server" title now (aka most expensive server)?
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Are you allowing for genies (since genies weren't around until the fishes were) or no?

The part I emphasized is untrue; Genies are from Age of Spirits (May 2009), 7 months before fishies showed up (Rising Tide, December 2009.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The part I emphasized is untrue; Genies are from Age of Spirits (May 2009), 7 months before fishies showed up (Rising Tide, December 2009.)

Ahh, thank you. :3
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Options

I thought RT was one of the more expensive servers right now? Which one is it that holds "The Greedy Server" title now (aka most expensive server)?

Yeah, it is.

What I found when I went to the different servers--->http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19351661&postcount=10

I think a good server choice would be one in which nobody has a high level toon, or as few as possible. It removes the temptation of funding the alt through the main.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Good luck finding people, Krit~ f:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Sounds like just an extra dose of grinding
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • MyMate - Dreamweaver
    MyMate - Dreamweaver Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Even thou I in essence like the idea I fail to see how this would be a challenge. With the new increased rewards from quests you can easily make it into the 70's and never run out of normal quests to do. Most of the quests only require you to kill ~10 mobs, which will be extremely fast quests for a squad of 6.
    If you really wanna make it more of a challenge you should limit gear to white NPC gear, which would require more teamwork, especially in FBs. You should not be allowed to use the Wyon's (iirc) free charms, and not the pots you get from supply stash. Basically anything that limits the squads survivability is something to strife for if you really wanna make this a challenge.

And why not for some extra, "rewarding", fun make it a goal to earn say 50mil as a group by the time you hit 80?
    "In the beginning, it was claimed that all in Perfect World were equal. But now it seems that some are more equal than others..." ~ Lost City Recluse
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Even thou I in essence like the idea I fail to see how this would be a challenge. With the new increased rewards from quests you can easily make it into the 70's and never run out of normal quests to do. Most of the quests only require you to kill ~10 mobs, which will be extremely fast quests for a squad of 6.
    If you really wanna make it more of a challenge you should limit gear to white NPC gear, which would require more teamwork, especially in FBs. You should not be allowed to use the Wyon's (iirc) free charms, and not the pots you get from supply stash. Basically anything that limits the squads survivability is something to strife for if you really wanna make this a challenge.

And why not for some extra, "rewarding", fun make it a goal to earn say 50mil as a group by the time you hit 80?

What I'm trying to do is show that people can enjoy the game without leveling to the end and only doing NW and TW. For some reason, people seem to believe that this game is only good at end-game, while I believe that the game is good all the way through, if you just take the time to have a good time and enjoy it.

Just an added note, I AM going to require VOIP of some sort for the players in the group, so keep that in mind if you plan to apply. If others want to chat as well, I am more than welcome to having a larger group server for chat (might have to go Raidcall at that point or something), where we can all enjoy ourselves on and off stream.

Again, PM me if you're interested in volunteering, I'm working out the survey/quiz/thing in the next few days so that I can send it to the volunteers.

Also, keep in mind that, if I get enough people interested, I will be creating a guild for this "challenge" on whatever server we end up deciding upon. Anyone willing to follow the guidelines up to the level decided upon by the original group is welcome, so let's make this big.b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    This is quite an interesting idea actually and I support your efforts- but still think its rather pointless. To make the most out of content that has best rewards/most enjoyable you need to be 100+ and decently geared. So if the destination is the same why take a country road instead of a freeway.

I know what your intentions are but the game has changed. You cant recreate what we went through in 2008-9 with 6-10 chosen people. Yes questing was fun, but a major part of that was always meeting/interacting with new faces. Squading for quests was also quite important then because of the sheer number of mobs- now you're going to find yourself spending more time flying between npc's than actually killing.

I do think however that if PWI were to come out and make a classic server- (based on a modified age of spirits) I think that could prove to be surprisingly popular.
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    This is quite an interesting idea actually and I support your efforts- but still think its rather pointless. To make the most out of content that has best rewards/most enjoyable you need to be 100+ and decently geared. So if the destination is the same why take a country road instead of a freeway.

Well, the point is to prove exactly the opposite: that there is fun to be had without being 100+ and charged for super gear. On the other hand, I don't see how BH is not fun; it surely was when I was leveling my first toon. And regarding whether it is a challenge or not; sure, it may not be. But then, is doing quests/grinding a challenge?
    Even aoe grinding, after some practise, won't be harder than a bh...
    Should make a requirement though to switch tt70 gear by farming tt yourselves until everyone has gear.

i wouldn't be using tt70 gear even if i was paid for it b:chuckle
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Anri_Rose - Archosaur
    Anri_Rose - Archosaur Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    This may well just be one of the very best ideas I have ever heard come out of these forums. I really hope others think about doing this , it would make playing alot more fun, even if you and some of your faction mates decide to run alts together at a certain time at least you would be sure to be doing the same things.
    Where have all the mages gone. Long time casting.
    Who altered my siggy im
    kinda scared b:shocked
  • Chuck_smith - Sanctuary
    Chuck_smith - Sanctuary Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options

Exactly and, I'd go no with all the things added since age of spirits (except for the classes). However that is not a challenge unless you do the first two RBs or FB29 or FB69.
    Sage barb in progress.
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    ...You cant recreate what we went through in 2008-9 with 6-10 chosen people.

I've given this some thought and you're exactly right. Back before they nerfed DQ prices and the mat market, even at 3x, and being a total nab veno (with no nix or herc), I could solo grind at least 1 gold per hour, hour after hour. Gold was 100k. Multi-clienting was supposedly against the rules. There was no auto-pathing. Culti 29 took at least 3 times longer than it does now. A lot has changed, whew...

That's all fine and good imo, I'm still willing to give this idea a try b:victory

So far as why take a country road?... b:chuckle ...why, to enjoy the ride, and the scenery of course.

Also, bump b:avoid
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Okay, sorry for the long delay on the updates, but the last bit I need from everyone who wants to be involved is a message telling me your class choice for this challenge, and why you would be good at it. From there, I'll figure it out as we go.

Thanks again to all interested!b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Sorry, I got to this thread way later than I should've. D:

As one of the more... let's say vocal proponents of the old content and of remembering our roots, this is the kind of thing I'd be very much interested in. I think the only thing stopping me from jumping into this is that I currently hold a 40hr work week and what time I do get to play PWI won't even scratch the surface of what I "need to" (loaded term, I know) get done on my main accounts.

So the biggest question I have for you, one that I did not see answered yet (unless I missed it while skimming the thread) is this: what kind of a commitment do you need from people? By that I mean... how often, for how long each day? Will there be a set time to meet up and decide the day/week's goals (and if so, what if one member of the team can't make it for one reason or another)?

Have you considered a more loosely-structured group of people that's larger than six? Perhaps make a faction specifically for people who want to undertake the challenge, within which you could have several "core squads" each covering the bases (tank, cleric, DDs) as well as certain wild cards / free-radicals who would slip into a squad when one is available within the faction?

I feel like a faction model would work better for the long-term health of the concept. The way it's set up now, it works within a few rigid parameters for a very specific group of (yet to be determined) people. This is an idealist's model; though ambitious, it runs the risk of waning or failing when the demands and random chance of life is considered.

But at the very least, I'd want to consider running one of these squads as well. :) There certainly seems to be enough interest for two full squads, at least. Let me know if there's any way I can help with the organization of this.

Has a server been decided yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Sorry, I got to this thread way later than I should've. D:

As one of the more... let's say vocal proponents of the old content and of remembering our roots, this is the kind of thing I'd be very much interested in. I think the only thing stopping me from jumping into this is that I currently hold a 40hr work week and what time I do get to play PWI won't even scratch the surface of what I "need to" (loaded term, I know) get done on my main accounts.

So the biggest question I have for you, one that I did not see answered yet (unless I missed it while skimming the thread) is this: what kind of a commitment do you need from people? By that I mean... how often, for how long each day? Will there be a set time to meet up and decide the day/week's goals (and if so, what if one member of the team can't make it for one reason or another)?

Have you considered a more loosely-structured group of people that's larger than six? Perhaps make a faction specifically for people who want to undertake the challenge, within which you could have several "core squads" each covering the bases (tank, cleric, DDs) as well as certain wild cards / free-radicals who would slip into a squad when one is available within the faction?

I feel like a faction model would work better for the long-term health of the concept. The way it's set up now, it works within a few rigid parameters for a very specific group of (yet to be determined) people. This is an idealist's model; though ambitious, it runs the risk of waning or failing when the demands and random chance of life is considered.

But at the very least, I'd want to consider running one of these squads as well. :) There certainly seems to be enough interest for two full squads, at least. Let me know if there's any way I can help with the organization of this.

Has a server been decided yet?

Basically, all your concerns are valid ones, but also keep in mind that I intend to work this around as many schedules as can participate. My free time, for example, is mostly late night/early morning. However, I am more than happy to do this on a day off or something, to try to enable more people to participate... my only issue with that is that my days off are usually Monday and Tuesday (sometimes), whereas most others have a typical weekend.

I would, of course, pick the players whose schedules most closely coincide with mine to be in the "stream" group, but I am more than happy to get a faction set up for anyone else who would like to join.

Also, the server will be decided based upon the locations of each person involved, but will MOST likely be an East Coast server. PvE/PvP would be decided upon by the entirety of the group.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Basically, all your concerns are valid ones, but also keep in mind that I intend to work this around as many schedules as can participate. My free time, for example, is mostly late night/early morning. However, I am more than happy to do this on a day off or something, to try to enable more people to participate... my only issue with that is that my days off are usually Monday and Tuesday (sometimes), whereas most others have a typical weekend.

I would, of course, pick the players whose schedules most closely coincide with mine to be in the "stream" group, but I am more than happy to get a faction set up for anyone else who would like to join.

Also, the server will be decided based upon the locations of each person involved, but will MOST likely be an East Coast server. PvE/PvP would be decided upon by the entirety of the group.
    I've sent you a PM, when you have the time to look. :)

This is a really good idea so I'm hoping someone will take the initiative and begin a challenge faction by the time 2x is over. Personally, starting it while 2x is still on makes it a bit too easy. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • muzkaikids
    muzkaikids Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Okay, sorry for the long delay on the updates, but the last bit I need from everyone who wants to be involved is a message telling me your class choice for this challenge, and why you would be good at it. From there, I'll figure it out as we go.

Thanks again to all interested!b:thanks

Noob question..how do i send a pm? XD i sent a F. Request with a message but i did not see a pm option
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The PM option is labeled Whisper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • muzkaikids
    edited July 2013
    Options

Where's it located? Cause i must be blind lol

Edit: Found it
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2013
    Options
    If you're talking about the forum PM option, you can get to it by clicking "private messages" in the top right of the page (right below the ad bar, if you don't have that blocked :P).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • muzkaikids
    edited July 2013
    Options
    If you're talking about the forum PM option, you can get to it by clicking "private messages" in the top right of the page (right below the ad bar, if you don't have that blocked :P).

Yup that's what i chose =D ty
  • muzkaikids
    edited July 2013
    Options

I meant on the forums hehe but ty for replying got me to look harder for it.
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hey Kritty, any news?
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hey Kritty, any news?
    Gotta second this request. I could start building a char as early as Friday, but I need to know what server and if a fac has been set up yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    hmm this will certainly be interesting to watch as it goes on. good luck and have fun to all that are participating b:victory
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle