Wep and Gear Engraving

Options
Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Suggestion Box
Even though the S3 gear on Nirvi and R9 is OP. New content will eventually be added, hopefully balancing out the instances, with the gear we currently have. When the time comes, it would be nice to be able to Engrave your Wep and Gear with differant bonuses, like you can with the rings and necks. Because each stat you get from the engravings are random, this would make everyones wep and gear unique. These engravings can be done using the NW forges, as with the necks using SOW's, tokens, and coin.

I'm not sure if I need to give an example but I will lol

Example bonuses,

Wep:

Att +3-5
God Of Frenzy
Physical Attack +250
Dex +20
Magic Attack +250

Basically, the same engravings that can be put on the rings and necks, should be added to weps and gear.

Like I said, I know the gear is OP now, this wouldn't be on the next update. I'm saying it could be done once the content is balanced with the current gear.
R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
Post edited by Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I completely agree. Right now, everybody has the same gear (with the exception of minmaxing stats). I'd like to be able to make customizations; afterall, building a character is not just about farming/spending $$; it's about discovering the optimum gear for your playstyle, strengths and weakness. It's also a way to separate people that know what they are doing from noobs. I remember getting awesome 2* gear, way better than the tt70 (and cheaper too). On the other hand, it doesn't have to be completely random. Items that will give the desired attributes (or improve the chance to get what you want) would be nice. For example:

1 Foo token = 50% +1 mag 50% +1 vit
    1 Foo token + 1 Foo token of vitality = 25% +1 mag 75% +1 vit
    1 Foo token + 2 Foo token of vitality = 15% +1 mag 85% +1 vit

basically, like tienkangs for attributes :b

this can even be a pvp thing (I have said something similar earlier) with barbs "dropping" tokens for vit while wizzies for mag etc
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I completely agree. Right now, everybody has the same gear (with the exception of minmaxing stats). I'd like to be able to make customizations; afterall, building a character is not just about farming/spending $$; it's about discovering the optimum gear for your playstyle, strengths and weakness. It's also a way to separate people that know what they are doing from noobs. I remember getting awesome 2* gear, way better than the tt70 (and cheaper too). On the other hand, it doesn't have to be completely random. Items that will give the desired attributes (or improve the chance to get what you want) would be nice. For example:

1 Foo token = 50% +1 mag 50% +1 vit
    1 Foo token + 1 Foo token of vitality = 25% +1 mag 75% +1 vit
    1 Foo token + 2 Foo token of vitality = 15% +1 mag 85% +1 vit

basically, like tienkangs for attributes :b

this can even be a pvp thing (I have said something similar earlier) with barbs "dropping" tokens for vit while wizzies for mag etc

You see, but then that takes you right back to everyone having the same gear. Obviously everyone is going to want the optimal engraving and can easily save Foo tokens and get the stat they need. With engraving, it makes you work towards a goal. You have to engrave, just like any other engraving. you could end up with a bad or good stat, just like a reroll. If someone gets Water damage on Netherworlds and has to save for another engraving, then they are running with water damage. That causes them to have a differant stat than someone that gets Att +5 on the wep. It makes it random. So that not everyone gets the same engraving. Everyones wep can be unique. you can do a 2 x stat and 3 x stat, and everyone gets random stats. I like being able to engrave your wep and gear. Gear can be engraved for 1 stat, wep can be engraved up to 3 stats.
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You see, but then that takes you right back to everyone having the same gear. Obviously everyone is going to want the optimal engraving and can easily save Foo tokens and get the stat they need. With engraving, it makes you work towards a goal. You have to engrave, just like any other engraving. you could end up with a bad or good stat, just like a reroll. If someone gets Water damage on Netherworlds and has to save for another engraving, then they are running with water damage. That causes them to have a differant stat than someone that gets Att +5 on the wep. It makes it random. So that not everyone gets the same engraving. Everyones wep can be unique. you can do a 2 x stat and 3 x stat, and everyone gets random stats. I like being able to engrave your wep and gear. Gear can be engraved for 1 stat, wep can be engraved up to 3 stats.

mmm I see your point. I was thinking along the lines of "that noob psy that got -3% chan engraving on the weapon" vs "that one that got mag" XD
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's not a bad idea o.o It's pretty cool and it could open up a lot of opportunities for further customization.

It would have been nice to add specific items for armor/weapon engravement that can be farmed in an existing instance (we have quite a few unused ones..).
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's not a bad idea o.o It's pretty cool and it could open up a lot of opportunities for further customization.

It would have been nice to add specific items for armor/weapon engravement that can be farmed in an existing instance (we have quite a few unused ones..).

Not a bad idea to add to this. Fix Nirvi to drop matts for wep and gear engraving. You would also be able to exchange tokens for matts through nw, being that the engraving would be at the nw forges.
    mmm I see your point. I was thinking along the lines of "that noob psy that got -3% chan engraving on the weapon" vs "that one that got mag" XD

Yeah it would be nice for people to get stuck with random egravings till they get what they want. One Cleric may get -6% channeling x 1 engraving. Another Cleric may do the 2 x engraving and end up with -2% Channeling and Physical attack +250. It would be a totally differant battle going up against those 2 Clerics. One will hit you like a beast, but be slower, while the other will be able to hit you faster, but not as hard. I like the engraving weps and gear. Barb gear would be nice to be able to get Mag resist on all peices lol
    edited May 2013
    Options
    you know, another idea to kinda balance things is to have negative stats too. e.g. you get -6% chan but also -100 hp
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I do like the engravings idea. It would simply be another level to the items in addition to rerolling, refining and sharding.

I dont think it would so much solve the problem that we all wear the same though. Randomness is not the solution to balance. Players want control of what they have. If the effect is not very strong, its just a detail anyway. If the costs are not too high its most of all just another good coinsink for rerolling engravings.
    If you make these engravings have a very strong influence and high cost so rerolling wont be too feasible, people who roll bad things on bound equipment will just be very pissed off. If its on tradable stuff, rich players will just take the good items and poor players will end up with the bad ones.

An interesting versatility in items comes only from good balancing. I think i can name the game since it is totally different genry, but i recently played -removed- for a bit and was amazed it how versatile the items are and while surely some are obviously better than others, people do use different builds and there is no strong concensus about what exactly is best on each char. This is balancing and PWI as well as other MMORPGs could learn from that.
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I do like the engravings idea. It would simply be another level to the items in addition to rerolling, refining and sharding.

I dont think it would so much solve the problem that we all wear the same though. Randomness is not the solution to balance. Players want control of what they have. If the effect is not very strong, its just a detail anyway. If the costs are not too high its most of all just another good coinsink for rerolling engravings.
    If you make these engravings have a very strong influence and high cost so rerolling wont be too feasible, people who roll bad things on bound equipment will just be very pissed off. If its on tradable stuff, rich players will just take the good items and poor players will end up with the bad ones.

An interesting versatility in items comes only from good balancing. I think i can name the game since it is totally different genry, but i recently played -removed- for a bit and was amazed it how versatile the items are and while surely some are obviously better than others, people do use different builds and there is no strong concensus about what exactly is best on each char. This is balancing and PWI as well as other MMORPGs could learn from that.

They can make it so that badges are needed to engrave. Add badges to Nirvi, with better drops and tougher bosses. That would make people run nirvi more. Make the matts untradable. This would force people to play the game. If you made it a combination of tokens and badges, that would get people doing nw and keep them running Lunar and ws and shoot for a goal. Balancing can be a good thing, but everyone havong the same stats and gear is not. It makes everything too even. Engraving weps and gear would slightly change gameplay not only in pvp, nw, but also instances. if they made the matts farmable, even better.

Actually, they can use the same matts it takes to engrave the necks and rings, just make it so you need MORE matts than what it takes to do the rings and necks
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I want purge engraved to my wep b:sin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I want purge engraved to my wep b:sin

Wow that would be awesome. Purify, Purge, GOF, could be added to your wep. Nice idea.
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    OMG... Hegemony that already has GOF, then engraved with Purge? That would be unbeatable f:horror

I see the MODs having 2 issues with this thread. One, this will quickly become a troll zone. People are gonna rage about the ability to have more than one of the weapon procs on your weapon. Secondly, I think this would have been better off being posted in Off-Topic Discussion, as this really isn't a suggestion. It's stating what you want, but it doesn't read as a suggestion to me b:surrender

Sorry Apostasy, /inb4close
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think weapon and gear engraving is a neat idea, but it would need some sort of balance to keep things from being over the top. For example, having a double weapon proc though like gof and purify, would obviously present huge balance issues. So if they did do this, I'd hope they'd limit it to not include procs (or at least only some of the lesser procs), and not include broken stats like I could see balance issues if it included int. Dunno, just something they should keep in mind.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think weapon and gear engraving is a neat idea, but it would need some sort of balance to keep things from being over the top. For example, having a double weapon proc though like gof and purify, would obviously present huge balance issues. So if they did do this, I'd hope they'd limit it to not include procs (or at least only some of the lesser procs), and not include broken stats like I could see balance issues if it included int. Dunno, just something they should keep in mind.

I'd like it if they would just keep the options we have on rings and necklaces (magic, vitality, strength, dexterity, damage reduction etc.). Weapon procs are a bit too much to have as is interval like you said.
    I do think a little channeling wouldn't hurt though since the current endgame gear (either R9 recast or Nirvana recast) doesn't offer so much channeling unless you start sacrificing HP/defences.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
    edited May 2013
    Options
    OMG... Hegemony that already has GOF, then engraved with Purge? That would be unbeatable f:horror

I see the MODs having 2 issues with this thread. One, this will quickly become a troll zone. People are gonna rage about the ability to have more than one of the weapon procs on your weapon. Secondly, I think this would have been better off being posted in Off-Topic Discussion, as this really isn't a suggestion. It's stating what you want, but it doesn't read as a suggestion to me b:surrender

Sorry Apostasy, /inb4close

How is it not a suggestion? My first post says, it would be nice to be able to engrave weapons and gear. This is not an off-topic discussion. Off-topic would be if I was talking about the Yankees game last night. It wasn't my suggestion to add skills to the weps. I would rather it be +200 physical att or the possibility of getting -1-6 channeling on a a wep or gear or even a possibility on adding +1-5 att lvl or def lvl onto a wep or peice of gear. This is a suggestion, not an off-topic discussion.
    edited May 2013
    Options
    And, if you read my original post. I said I know the gear and weps are OP currently. Hopefully with new content that gets added, more instances will be added to balance with the current gear. If something is added, then it would be nice to be able to engrave weps and gear. We can already engrave rings and necks, why not gear and weps. thats a suggestion, not an off-topic discussion.
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'd like it if they would just keep the options we have on rings and necklaces (magic, vitality, strength, dexterity, damage reduction etc.). Weapon procs are a bit too much to have as is interval like you said.
    I do think a little channeling wouldn't hurt though since the current endgame gear (either R9 recast or Nirvana recast) doesn't offer so much channeling unless you start sacrificing HP/defences.

I totally agree. I rather it be kept to the type of engraving we already have. I rather add some sort of att lvl, def lvl, physical att, channeling, and so on. I don't feel it's the right time to be able to engrave currently. I feel more content would need to be added to balance with the current gear. But at a later time, engraving weps and gear would most likely end up happening.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think it is a good idea, as long as you can't engrave procs. I also think the suggestion of a new mat that drops in Nirvana to engrave is a good one, but some people will always have difficulty finding squads so I'd make it tradeable. It would be nice to have something like this that didn't require stupid untradeable supply tokens.... I'm already irritated that I can never engrave my necklaces.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842