Light Armor Wizard Question

Options
akitheone
akitheone Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Wizard
Okay so my build for LA Wizard is

Each Level: 1 str 1 dex 3 mag.

I want to know when i should stop putting points into str and dex so that i can go full mag or 1 vit 4 mag till 20-30 vit.

Also What types of ornaments should i wear? The ones that give me pysical/+str things or the magic type ones which give me more vit and + magical attack
Post edited by akitheone on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    akitheone wrote: »

I want to know when i should stop putting points into str and dex so that i can go full mag or 1 vit 4 mag till 20-30 vit.

Also What types of ornaments should i wear? The ones that give me pysical/+str things or the magic type ones which give me more vit and + magical attack

What makes you think LA is a good armor choice?
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • akitheone
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I just like Light armor better for pking. So i can tank a few bm/archer ect hits.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I just like Light armor better for pking. So i can tank a few bm/archer ect hits.

LA does not offer a significant increase in your survival, you need good gear regardless of armor choice to tank hits. I would highly recommend going with AA, there is no question that AA is the best armor choice for wizards interested in pvp.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • akitheone
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I'LL stick with my build for now. Will reset later if i want to. Can someone answer the question i previously stated?
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Endgame LA requires 104 str and dex to wear. Until equip bonuses are taken into account, you'd have to do 3 mag, 1 str, 1 dex until level 99 to keep up with the requirements for the armor and be able to use your weapon. So by the time you'd even have the option to squeeze in that 30 vit you want, it would be completely useless to you as the gear you'd need to get to that point within any reasonable time would have made the vit obsolete.

As for ornaments, you'd want a phys neck/belt and to refine magic rings. You'll still be weak against everything because that's just how LA is, but at least you'll be able to make some use of it all. Also wear a HP helm instead of an arcane one as it's the one strength provided by LA.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Dont think of LA as something that protects you.
    HA protects you against physical
    AA protects you against magic
    LA is just so you dont walk around naked.

I think they made LA as crappy as it is to balance the advatages dex classes have (dex providing them, damage, crit and acc, while other classes have to live with **** accuracy and crit or give up damage for dex)

Actually with the refine rate being better also, i decided to make a fair comparison since i like playing around with the calc anyway. I made an AA and an LA wizzy. 8-10 refines, vit stones. Full G16 set with warsong+cube belt and neck. The typical moderate players "end game" equipment. Attack and defence levels are not taken into the calculations since they have the same effect on either anyway.

AA
    eff hp phyz: 22,555
    eff hp mag: 55,794
    ave, eff HP: 39,175
    attack dmg: 16,721

LA
    eff hp phyz: 36,727
    eff hp mag: 46,615
    ave, eff HP: 41,671
    attack dmg: 10,991

So while you balance out your survivability more between magic and physical, and gain a slight bit average survivability, and this does look better than i actually expected, you lose about 1/3th of your damage !!!
  • MadSkiIIz - Sanctuary
    MadSkiIIz - Sanctuary Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Light Armor used to be good.

But these days, with people with +1k p.def on ornaments its a terrible choice to go Light Armor.

Simply cuz the effect from P.def scale down the higher it is.

Also the dmg loss is too big / adds on ur gear will be terrible (if G16) / all magic dmg will kill you

The only pro I can think of is the fact Light Armor gives more hp upon refinement, but its defo not worth it.
    super mega interresting:
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1582121
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    For LA wizzie you stat 1 dex 1 str 3 mag, yes

Enjoy losing 150% weapon dmg multiplier, wear THE worst armor in game, have to wear and swap orns to get phys/mag def to respectable levels and only one at a time, like BM marrows but with multimillion coin gear

Enjoy being hit many times more because lo, your damage will suck. You will tank 2-3 more hits and be hit 5-6 times extra

if you have more than 3 base vit on a wizard at endgame then please uninstall, unless you're too poor to buy a reset.
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • XEmpressX - Heavens Tear
    XEmpressX - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You don't want to be a one shot like a sin do you?
  • mynameiswizy
    mynameiswizy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    "LA is used to be good"

Yes I think that answer is true
    why?

-Because a long time ago there is no Hyper Exp Stone, Bounty Hunter, etc .. .
    leveling is hard, really2 long way to go to high level

-so people thinking about creating an alt build and it was a Light Build for PK-ing reason
    But the advantage of This Build will end in lvl 9x
    where we can find a ton of Ornament with a good Pdef b:shocked

yes I was a light armor too, so then later I will reset it into full Mag
    there is no point to go light armor build Wiz anymoreb:mischievous

and yes maybe the Best alt build for low budget b:chuckle Wiz in lower level is Light Armor
    just read all the old thread about Pandora and another good "OLD" wiz thread
    sure there will be bias,
    but in the end, there is only one build, a full MAG wiz build for end-game Wizard afterall

I wish it answer your question
  • SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear
    SweetAnthrax - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Light is awful.

My 1st choice is R9 recast. With at least +10 refines and sharding with high grade garnets or JOSD and physical necklace/belt.
    My 2nd choice is S3 HA. With some serious channel reducion on necklace/belt/cape and real good refine on weapon.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    Options
    My 1st choice is R9 recast. With at least +10 refines and sharding with high grade

No shait ! you must be genious !!!
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That depends on what you mean by "low budget."

If your budget is low enough that you're concerned:
    Resets are gonna be a problem
    It doesn't matter what you're wearing, a LOT of people will 1 shot you. However, with this build you open yourself up to 1 shots by ALL classes, rather than just physical ones.
    Wizard may not be the best class for you. Wizards are really about hitting like a truck. That requires at least decent gear, and certainly requires pure magic build.

Even without hypering, there are a lot easier ways for people to level now, and the whole process has been streamlined. Making a build for the first 90 levels, which can /easily/ be done in a month or two, for PK effectiveness no less, is beyond redundant, especially when on a budget.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Thrieya - Lost City
    Thrieya - Lost City Posts: 732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    LA does not offer a significant increase in your survival, you need good gear regardless of armor choice to tank hits. I would highly recommend going with AA, there is no question that AA is the best armor choice for wizards interested in pvp.

Out of curiosity, Adroit, just how much Aspirin did you have to take before the headache generated by that post subsided enough for you to write that calmly?

Reading all this is like watching an adult trying to explain the concept of "2 + 3 = 5" to a child, only you realise the child isn't a child at all, but rather another adult that should be perfectly capable of determining this fact on their own, and then you start to lose faith in adults altogether.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    Options
    like watching an adult trying to explain the concept of "2 + 3 = 5" to a child, only you realise the child isn't a child at all, but rather another adult that should be perfectly capable of determining this fact on their own

Dont lose faith, get used to this or life will be miserable b:chuckle Life of is full or this. Just look at all the religions existing around you..... Humans are rather stupid, try to love them anyway :)
  • Cody__Tylor - Heavens Tear
    Cody__Tylor - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I have a pure MAG wiz (I feel comfortable with this build for casters in general), but I won't judge you using the LA build but at endgame. I agree that you will have less of both defenses overall (HA can gain more M.DEF and robes can gain more physical defense of the highest tier endgame (I'm talking about PVP wise).

Yes, low/mid/high levels are may prove practical until you reach endgame with PVP. TBH, there are so much cookie cutter gear, (OHT would be wise otherwise) you're forced to use the same armor with the same type of stats which is sad. However, you're wasting your time if you want to PVP if you can't build right (then again most people can't even build properly anyways, but still, R9 third cast is way too powerful.
    This game is fail-proof unless you are dumber than a donkey. ...Too bad a lot of players fall into that exact category. ~maocchi

Level 81 HA/APS Fox, Level 75 VIT/defense tiger, Level 56 VIT/APS Seeker, Level 54 Dual sword BM, Level 36 assassin, Level 38 Archer, level 32 Priestess, level 41 Wizard on this account. HT~

LVL 24 Mystic~LC
  • Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear
    Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    No shait ! you must be genious !!!

>.> genius* learn to spell before you comment on someone else's intelligence sarcastically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver
    Alex_Gantz - Dreamweaver Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    LA wizzy guide:

Step number 1: Quit your wizzy
    Step number 2: Quit the game
    Step number 3: Quit life

Thank you b:bye
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    LA wizzy guide:

+1
    /5chars
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • Infamous_me - Archosaur
    Infamous_me - Archosaur Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    LA wizzy guide:

hahahahaha b:pleased sammich b:pleased
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    ^^^ quit quit quit

Even the most obnoxious hard headed LA wiz on HT went pure mag.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Rewas - Lost City
    Rewas - Lost City Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If you want to play LA Wizard for the heck of it, do it. Why do you need other people oppinion to justify your choise? You can play this game the way you like it.
    ~ 78% of the nation's jail and prison inmates grew up in a fatherless household

Enjoy the decline. b:victory
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If you want to play LA Wizard for the heck of it, do it. Why do you need other people oppinion to justify your choise? You can play this game the way you like it.

Even though it wasn't friendly advice, it was correct advice and meant with the the good intention of helping out the OP, saving him alot of wasted time and restat notes.

And this is a necro. Don't necro<~more good advice.

To answer the OPs question and put an end to a horrible horrible thread: 1 str and 1 dex are required per level to use LA armor. 3 magic are required per level to use a magic weapon. So when can you stop adding your stats this way? Level 101 when you've reached endgame armor, unless you have the +stat gear to makeup for any vit or extra magic you want to add.

Physical ornaments at first for survivability. Later, when you have extra money and a are comfortable with the gameplay you can try adding -channeling ornaments on swap and constantly switch back and forth whether your opponent is out of range and you're attacking, or whether they are attacking and you are defending. But first and primarily, physical.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Physical ornaments at first for survivability. Later, when you have extra money and a are comfortable with the gameplay you can try adding -channeling ornaments on swap and constantly switch back and forth whether your opponent is out of range and you're attacking, or whether they are attacking and you are defending. But first and primarily, physical.

after all, you can refine rings for mdef.
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Rewas - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Even though it wasn't friendly advice, it was correct advice and meant with the the good intention of helping out the OP, saving him alot of wasted time and restat notes.

And this is a necro. Don't necro<~more good advice.

It wasn't "correct advice", it was more like "if you don't do things the way we do it, you are going to do be abused verbaly and possibly ingame" sort of advice.

Yes it is forum necromancy indeed, then again it's my first time:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63291

So by the rules, I can get away with it.

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    It wasn't "correct advice", it was more like "if you don't do things the way we do it, you are going to do be abused verbaly and possibly ingame" sort of advice.

Technically by the rules you should read the rules before you do things like necro, lol ;)

And it was advice from people who probably have 2000 gaming hours logged either in PWI or on a wizard specifically saying been there, tried that, it sucked. Or have killed that. At one point LA wizards ran rampant because "people wanted the pdef" not realizing how little they gained and 99.9% of them have restat. Trust me. These guys have seen it over and over and over and over and over... it's never worked.

So the solution is to suggest poltely. Then nudge and say "Hey buddy, you don't wan't to do that." Then insist. Then insist rampantly. Then troll. Then flame. Then ignore... until the OP comes back and says "wow, you were right. Who could have guessed?"
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Rewas - Lost City
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Technically by the rules you should read the rules before you do things like necro, lol ;)

And it was advice from people who probably have 2000 gaming hours logged either in PWI or on a wizard specifically saying been there, tried that, it sucked. Or have killed that. At one point LA wizards ran rampant because "people wanted the pdef" not realizing how little they gained and 99.9% of them have restat. Trust me. These guys have seen it over and over and over and over and over... it's never worked.

So the solution is to suggest poltely. Then nudge and say "Hey buddy, you don't wan't to do that." Then insist. Then insist rampantly. Then troll. Then flame. Then ignore... until the OP comes back and says "wow, you were right. Who could have guessed?"

What I should or should not be doing is something for me to deside.

No matter how much expierence you will have it's still going to be subjective expierence, to put it more simply - What 'sucked' for some, might be enjoyable for others.

• sherrman
    sherrman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have been playing a LA wizard since i started over 5 years ago for many reasons. The main reason is i wanted the pdef without spending the coin it takes to get the AA armor to that level. Gaining skills take enough coin. From the beginning i knew i was not going to put that amount of time (or money)into the game grinding or being able to solo bosses that was not originally intended to be. I mainly focused on helping in squad combat in PvE instances and a bit in TW. My plan was never to be the best wizard on the server or have the highest gear available. I just wanted to used the skills available and accomplish things to help fellow players. Wizard skills definitely make up for the loss of mdef if the enemy is known ahead of time except of course for poison attacks (nothing wizards can do about that).

I liked the reduction in damage output during PvE squad battles because at the time gaining aggro from tanks were very easy. So it was beneficial to never have to worry about over-nuking because of one critical. Dropping bosses a half minute faster didn't seem as important than having a death in the squad. That always made the cleric's life a lot easier. It also kept the rest of the squad on a positive note. Of course now tanks have no problem keeping aggro as that part of the game has changed.

In territory wars it seemed better to not worry about dealing damage while attacking other players. The power of FoW, sleep and undine to keep enemy players busy while the faction's Sin's, BMs and Archers delt the damage. Of course while waiting for refresh of those skills a few nukes always helps. Wizards were also very good in the air during those events.
    It seems to me that player expectations is what has actually changed over the years. and to be able to 'solo' your way through events. It should be about players working together.
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    sherrman wrote: »
    I have been playing a LA wizard since i started over 5 years ago for many reasons. The main reason is i wanted the pdef without spending the coin it takes to get the AA armor to that level. Gaining skills take enough coin. From the beginning i knew i was not going to put that amount of time (or money)into the game grinding or being able to solo bosses that was not originally intended to be. I mainly focused on helping in squad combat in PvE instances and a bit in TW. My plan was never to be the best wizard on the server or have the highest gear available. I just wanted to used the skills available and accomplish things to help fellow players. Wizard skills definitely make up for the loss of mdef if the enemy is known ahead of time except of course for poison attacks (nothing wizards can do about that).

I liked the reduction in damage output during PvE squad battles because at the time gaining aggro from tanks were very easy. So it was beneficial to never have to worry about over-nuking because of one critical. Dropping bosses a half minute faster didn't seem as important than having a death in the squad. That always made the cleric's life a lot easier. It also kept the rest of the squad on a positive note. Of course now tanks have no problem keeping aggro as that part of the game has changed.

In territory wars it seemed better to not worry about dealing damage while attacking other players. The power of FoW, sleep and undine to keep enemy players busy while the faction's Sin's, BMs and Archers delt the damage. Of course while waiting for refresh of those skills a few nukes always helps. Wizards were also very good in the air during those events.

It seems to me that player expectations is what has actually changed over the years. and to be able to 'solo' your way through events. It should be about players working together.
    NECROOO!!!!!!!

sherrman replied to a message that was 3 months 10 days 11 minutes old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Options
    LOL I remember this thread! b:chuckleb:chuckleb:chuckle
This discussion has been closed.