"Best response" Thumbs up idea.

Options
Sakubatou - Sanctuary
Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Suggestion Box
This probably can be placed in the game suggestions forums, but since its a forum suggestion and not a game suggestion I'll place it here in the general area for feedback. Management of the two seems to be handled separately, anyways.

We're all familiar with the sheer amount of trolling that is done in these forums. Anywhere from intentionally bad responses, misleading responses, off topic responses, flame wars,... Not to mention the forums have become pretty dead anyways so people tend to take each thread as an opportunity to trail off into obscurity with meaningless discussion. This leads to 15 pages thread with the correct answer buried somewhere amongst the rabble.

And we wonder why people repeatedly ask the same questions. I often will end up writing a cumulative post correcting previous wrong information and gathering up the correct pieces of information for the reader since it was answer in so many different pieces.

Many other forums have implemented ways to deal with this. Some comments have a simple approval rating next to each response (18 people like this, 2 disagree), or a star rating so people can say this was 1/5 star information don't listen to it, this was 5/5 stars and is excellent advice. Other places, like youtube, have a "thumbs up/thumbs down" rating on the comments and the top 2 threads are boosted to the top to be read first while the rest are left in chronological order.

I am curious how many other pw forum-goers would be interested in having something like this implemented to promote accurate responses and bury troll responses.
Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
Post edited by Sakubatou - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Decent enough suggestion, though I'm unsure of why whether or not people like or dislike certain posts/threads really matters enough that a system needs to be implemented to reflect that.
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Wouldn't troll responses also have the ability to be boosted up while the post that actually answers the question be ignored. I feel like it would be one more thing our trolls would just mess up. It's a nice idea but I don't see it being used as intended.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Options
    the suggestion box is for all suggestions, so I'm gonna move this there.b:thanks

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I do like this very much, but also, I fear it becoming a sort of "FaceBook post for likes syndrome" Where everyone posts something funny or cool in an attempt to get likes and more attention.
    Also, trolling could then be done on a whole new level where someone can +1 a post on numerous toons? or numerous people could do it so that a horrible or incorrect answer is at the top of the thread.

-In some threads it would have to disabled such as the count to 1000 thread and others.
    All up, I think the idea may work but it'll cause a lot more trouble for Mods xD

Oh and also, we already have the "Star Rating System" for threads, no-one uses it though ._.'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It could work...

But sadly, someone had asked to have it implemented once before during frankies time as the {CM} and didn't even get any response from {PWi} back then b:surrender

But hopefully with V4l being the {CM} incharge now, the suggestion may actually get a serious look at it & its potential this time...

Who knows, maybe he'll give us a comment on it, so we'll be able to know what the heads of the {PWi} branch actually think about it at least...f:worry
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I support this. It would be nice to weed out useless spam.

Oh and also, we already have the "Star Rating System" for threads, no-one uses it though ._.'

It has to be enabled in the parent forum.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I support this. It would be nice to weed out useless spam.

'cause useless spam can't be thumbed up and everyone will use the system past the first two weeks.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    'cause useless spam can't be thumbed up and everyone will use the system past the first two weeks.

I try to take a less cynical approach to things. I also like to believe that for every spammer there's at least one person interested in genuinely having a discussion outside of a +1 spree.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It has to be enabled in the parent forum.

Okay, didn't know that~ thanks 'xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    So basically, a copy of the entire karma/upvoting system on Reddit?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The only problem with this idea is that sometimes "the correct answer" isn't always universal. If you provide a universal upvote/downvote system, not everything that gets upvoted will actually be the right answer. This is particularly true due to the troll culture you mentioned; I can see this being used more by the trolls to bury competing posts than by non-trolls genuinely trying to contribute to discussion.

And none of this will really have any impact on those making new threads. Upvoting/downvoting looks pretty and all, but it won't prevent anyone from failing to use the Search function.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • trands
    trands Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I doubt it would add something. The 2 type of threads that it would be usefull for are the ones asking opinions and that use a poll for that (so nothing really added with a 2nd rating) and the ones asking for game advice. For those last ones, there used to be the stickies. Those are a bit out of date but it's almost impossible to find better and more up to date guides. The new ones are usually focussed on end game (where someone should already know how to play) and usually so "follow the mold or be an idiot" that they are not of much use (old guides always included various builds, which has become inconceivable on todays standards with a battery of math and r999 +12 experience that any level 60 doesn't care about).

The only real counter to the problem you state, would be to have up to date guides. But good luck finding motivated players that have the experience to write it without taking into account their super OP endgame gear that allows them to send cash to the alt and do pretty much whatever they want. Having it written without a crapload of critizism, flaming and insulting after it will be an even bigger challenge. The results of the last try on that point weren't of much benefit. The discussions of 3~4 years ago just aren't really possible anymore. Everyone just has to be pro or gtfo these days.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    There's actually an unused "Reputation" function in vbb that I think does something similar to what you want.

Outside of that you can always award sweetiebot points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I support this idea. This coupled with the MODS doing their job and deleting useless posts would make this work quite nicely. We all know they can just straight up delete posts, so I don't see why they don't do it more often.

As was said before this paragraph got removed, it will undoubtedly increase the workload for the MODs and v4liance. Look at some of the threads in the forums, that allow the trolls to rage on. I'm not talking about forum games, but normal threads. If trolls are allowed free reign in forums with this feature, then it will need to be removed for those forums. This paragraph isn't an issue of moderation, but simply a matter of the feature in question, and what steps will need to be taken to prevent this feature from being abused.

I think the idea for a post rating system would be great, and full support this. Enuf said b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    At first I thought, what great idea! Then I read this
    Wouldn't troll responses also have the ability to be boosted up while the post that actually answers the question be ignored. I feel like it would be one more thing our trolls would just mess up. It's a nice idea but I don't see it being used as intended.

and realized that is likely exactly what would happen. Not in every thread of course, but you have to admit in many threads you see a lot more troll responses than you do normal responses. These people will be voting for the best response too, and who do you think they would vote for? So then we'd end up with a bunch of high-rated nonsense or rude responses while the real useful answer was lost somewhere in between.

Not sure if you could make a system like this work, but if you could I could see how it would be helpful. For now, people could just use the Sweetiebot point system if they want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I support this idea. This coupled with the MODS doing their job and deleting useless posts would make this work quite nicely. We all know they can just straight up delete posts, so I don't see why they don't do it more often.

As was said before this paragraph got removed, it will undoubtedly increase the workload for the MODs and v4liance. Look at some of the threads in the forums, that allow the trolls to rage on. I'm not talking about forum games, but normal threads. If trolls are allowed free reign in forums with this feature, then it will need to be removed for those forums. This paragraph isn't an issue of moderation, but simply a matter of the feature in question, and what steps will need to be taken to prevent this feature from being abused.

I think the idea for a post rating system would be great, and full support this. Enuf said b:laugh

Pretty much that, there's more and more spammers that make threads go out topic and the threads end closed cause of those spammers.

More and more when I see a new thread, I click on it read the first post and when I arrive at the second post it become a convo of random stuff on 3 pages by 2-3 persons.

I think a like and unlike option won't change anything about it. Trolls and spammers will just like each other posts and are enough crazy to log alts to like their own posts just to stay on the top. People are enough immature to unlike a post just cause they hate the person while it could be a good advice.

I think they should limit the amount of posts allowed each week, 50 posts allowed each week would be really decent and will make people think before spam 25 posts in one day in one thread. Of course GMs and Mods would still be unlimited. (SweetieBot as well)

That will make people maybe take some convo in pm and make the forum clean a bit of the useless spam.

At that point it's the only solution I see, to limit the max amount of posts weekly and/or make mods abuse their delete option. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    fackin internet... had a long post wrote out, it refreshed on it's own before I could hit post, now it's gone.

Bottom line... While I can see your good intentions, Bella, I have to respectfully disagree. PWCN already has bad enough of a habit of punishing us legitimate players for the actions of the trolls, instead of laying down the ban hammer and issuing perma bans, and also failing to update their friggin anti-cheating software.

Taken from the following page of PWRD's website: http://www.pwrd.com/html/en/invest_faq.html
    6. What are the core competencies / competitive advantages?We believe that the following competitive strengths contribute to our success and differentiate us from our competitors:

[*]Leading market position in 3D online games in China;
      [*]Powerful technology capabilities, consisting of proprietary game engines, powerful game development platforms, flexible hardware requirements and anti-cheating expertise;
      [*]Creative utilization of extensive experience and deep customer understanding to design, market and distribute games;
      [*]Strong and consistent operations; and
      [*]Experienced management team and game development personnel.

I can't say that I've ever seen a bigger lie in my life. If these are the things they consider corporate strengths, then I would hate to see what they consider their weaknesses. The one thing that irks me most is that they say "anti-cheating expertise". Really now? We've got botters running rampant in some of our servers, while I can't really say it's a huge issue on RT. But if their anti cheating software is so great, why did they nerf DQ prices? Why did they remove coins from Delta?

As I said, Bella, I can see the good intentions, but PWCN already rips us off, and gives us the watered down table scraps from their updates, and not to mentions months after they have it.

They also restrict us further every time some issue comes up, instead of using logic to find a solution to the problem. If something is able to be abused, they remove it, instead of finding a way to keep all content, and just stop it from being abused. Hope you can see my point, and even if you don't agree, see what I'm trying to say.

All the best,
      Crix
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
      Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
      edited May 2013
      Options
      *Bella like Crixxix post* b:chuckle

I do understand what you mean, they nerfed DQ price cause of bots, removed delta coins cause of abuse, same for goon exp, good people pay for the bad people, but I think 50 posts is really enough (maybe 75 would be better), a forum is suppose to be a tool and not a chat. I personally had weeks with over 100 posts, but I do admit that more then half of the posts was not necessary and I would had think twice before post something if we had a weekly limit of posts.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute