Computer stuck on startup repair

SiIver - Sanctuary
SiIver - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Support Desk
Hi I'm not really sure if my problem needs to be relevant to PWI to post here but a member in my faction suggested I come to ask about it here.

When I started up my computer a couple days ago it came to startup repair and attempted to fix a problem but couldnt fix whatever it is. I restarted but it came to the same thing and when it finished it shut down. I googled the problem on my ipad and found people with my problem but they had not been answered.

When I attempted to system restore from advanced options it said I had no restore points left in this limited recovery mode. So I tried to go into safe mode by pressing F5 then F8 as it turned on but it just goes back to startup repair and won't let me past it. I hope I've given enough information for you to help, if there's anything you know that might help or anything you want me to try please let me know.

Thanks for your time
Post edited by SiIver - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited March 2013
    That's a real toughie there if you can't get startup repair to work on it. Any idea what the problem it found was? Might help me in narrowing it down to something that isn't wiping your drive and starting over.

Also, what flavor Windows do you have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SiIver - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Hi Sylen, thanks for your response. Honestly I don't know what the problem could be that caused it. I gathered from googling it that downloading something new can cause a startup repair but I don't recall downloading anything or making any changes. Only thing I can think is it's a virus. I do recall an anti virus called McAfee randomly downloading itself onto my comp but that was a while ago.

And I have windows 7 home premium
    edited March 2013
    If you think it might be virus related, go to Avast.com and download their free boot repair CD. Aside from that, the only things I can really think of are manually testing and repairing the MFT, the boot sector, or the partition table.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrAttitude - Dreamweaver
    MrAttitude - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sometimes windows glitches itself. When you get into the position of not being able to get past the start-up repair screen the best thing to do is to go into F8, arrow down to safe mode with networking feature press enter and load a scaled down version of windows back up your information (documents, pictures, music, etc...) and do a recovery to the out of box state (like when you first purchased it). In windows 7 you can access the recovery partition from F8 and use the repair your computer feature. After that access I need help immediately. Once you get there take the system recovery feature and follow the directions. It will recover your computer. Once finished update your windows, Java, Adobe. Uninstall trial version of the antivirus program that came with it and install a current version of what ever you are currently using. If you can't afford an antivirus program there are several free ones out there that actually work.I.E. Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, Avast etc... then reinstall your PWI it should work after that. One tidbit of additional information put a antimalware program on you computer for those hiccupps a good free one is Malware Bytes. Understand Malware Bytes is not an ativirus program it runs with out conflict with your virus program. Good luck with your endeavors.
  • SiIver - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Great news! I stayed at my dads last night and came back to find my sister had fixed my computer, neither of us really know how unfortunately but it had something to do with my windows disc. She inserted it and ran a scan somehow using the advanced options from startup repair. It wiped my computer but i found all my files in a file called old.windows so that's awesome, plus this means i don't have to redownload PWI again. I did have to reinstall the audio and internet receptor things using CD's though.

Thank you both for your responses anyway, it is really really appreciated
    edited March 2013
    yeah, she ran the system repair option which basically re-installed windows and backed up some of the old data. You'll likely still have to re-install some software, and don't forget to get the latest video driver from the manufacturer of your GPU before attempting to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Great news! I stayed at my dads last night and came back to find my sister had fixed my computer, neither of us really know how unfortunately but it had something to do with my windows disc. She inserted it and ran a scan somehow using the advanced options from startup repair. It wiped my computer but i found all my files in a file called old.windows so that's awesome, plus this means i don't have to redownload PWI again. I did have to reinstall the audio and internet receptor things using CD's though.

Thank you both for your responses anyway, it is really really appreciated

Cool, nice sister you have, will she marry me ? b:chuckle

My sisters are always "Hrunspanda, can you come and fix my computer please?"