[Genies]WindShield

Options
_Raido - Archosaur
_Raido - Archosaur Posts: 42 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Wizard
Normally I would be willing to debate the effectiveness of Wind Shield but unfortunately I can't.

I've never used it. As a demon wizard I haven't really seen a need for the extra tankiness, the only classes that actually bother me in NW/PK/TW are either other wizards or psychics.b:shocked

I'll get to testing though.

@Adroit You've used it long enough, can you sum up your experiences with it?

I would imagine a sage wizard would need it to make up for the lack of the physical defense that's offered on demon wizards, and I've never really needed any damage reduction that AFA or AD fixed(Which I am debating removing due to the fact that AFA does everything that AD does but better, except in a AD or die situation). In the situation I am taking a bit too much damage I can just DS away and be perfectly fine unless they decide to go on a chasing spree or you know.

Do you see any use to having Extreme Poison? I use it quite often when I am massacring people in anything PK related, and I usually rarely die due to the fact we as a class have an extreme amount of survivability that requires (some) skill to use.
Post edited by _Raido - Archosaur on

Comments

• Nurfed_You - Harshlands
    Nurfed_You - Harshlands Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    windshield is nice to stop a bypass any day of the week. Idk what your gear looks like, but mine is full +10 with exclusive garnets as place holders and a drake bash zerk crit around 65% hp can still bypass my charm. As well as wiz/psy crits. Level 1 windshield is basically spamable, will stop 90% of those bypasses from happening and is great if your tanking a few more people then your comfortable with.

As for ep, I've been debating on putting it back on my dex genie for a while. I thought I would need it with the omen set to kill tanky bms/barbs. So far I've killed whoever i've wanted to kill with a +3 weapon and not needed ep. I may end up putting it on my genie again for a 1v1 or something. Other then that I probably won't need it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I really like wind shield, especially in 1v1s. Like Nurfed_You said, it is great for reducing the chance of a bypass. It is surprising how many people can just barely bypass me.. where using wind shield whenever I'm near half hp makes it near impossible for them to kill me on their own. I also like to use it to cancel out ep, just a solid skill overall. You can practically use it on cd when it is level 1, which is about equivalent to an extra almost 3k hp with my gear (think 16k hp -> 19k hp) at whatever time you need it. It's also useful in group pvp.. for the same reasons.. although I tend to use AFA more in group pvp because I generally am either fine (almost nobody hitting me) or getting focused (several people hitting me) and I like to save my genie for more "oh ****" skills if possible. In small pvp, I use it all the time though.

I do see a use in extreme poison, increasing your damage has obvious benefits. The issue for me is that spark is so good that I can kill just about anything.. so I save the skill slot for other defensive skills. If you are happy with all your defensive skills, poison would be nice to help your team and help against people that are really good with sof.

One little side note, the extra pdef on demon stone barrier really isn't a game changer.. it is a slight increase in pdef.. a physical class is not going to know what cultivation a wizard is just by hitting them and seeing their damage. The little extra pdef is not going to change your playstyle much
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Biggyluv - Lost City
    Biggyluv - Lost City Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    hi you noobs
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    hi you noobs

ohai <3
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Adroit, no i can't tell if a wiz is sage or demon when i hit them,
    But i sure as hell can when they distance shrink x,x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr_Lapp - Lost City
    Mr_Lapp - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options

b:surrender D DS Away
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options

At least wizzies on your server know that that skill actually has a use!
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary
    XSonOfCircex - Sanctuary Posts: 1,173 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    At least wizzies on your server know that that skill actually has a use!

There are wizards who don't use distance shrink? o.O
    God I love sage distance shrink, spam that and master li's will compensate for all the chi you use in a minute.
    xSonOfCircex-105/103/102 Sage Wiz
    DrakeEmpress-101/102/103 Sage Cleric
    Gaygasm-101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer

Because I can't stand playing melee classes
  • AshenSkies - Heavens Tear
    AshenSkies - Heavens Tear Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I just recently logged onto PWI and got aquaflame armor on my genie.

Now to wait till I can be bothered to NW to test it!

I have had windshield for a while now and it has its uses, sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
    Thank you Silvychar for my siggy :)
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I just recently logged onto PWI and got aquaflame armor on my genie.

Now to wait till I can be bothered to NW to test it!

I have had windshield for a while now and it has its uses, sometimes.

Aquaflame armor costs significantly more energy though, and if the point is just to give yourself a little more survivability I feel like it's redundant to go with the extra damage reduction but also spend 3 times as much energy. Going with that method, especially if you max it out, actually makes it closer to a significantly less effective version of AD that can be used a little earlier. I may be wrong though so if you find it effective I'd love to hear how it works.

• Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Aquaflame armor costs significantly more energy though, and if the point is just to give yourself a little more survivability I feel like it's redundant to go with the extra damage reduction but also spend 3 times as much energy. Going with that method, especially if you max it out, actually makes it closer to a significantly less effective version of AD that can be used a little earlier. I may be wrong though so if you find it effective I'd love to hear how it works.

There are actually a lot of situations where I think AFA is more effective than domain, you just have to use it differently. With 100 dex, AFA is a 53% reduction for 10 seconds.. which means you are taking less than half of the normal damage, I like to think about it like making the r9rr opponents doing the equivalent of r8 damage for 10 seconds. I use it mostly to buy me enough time for a purify proc.. which it nearly always does.

One easy example I can think of is say you were being chased by a r9rr sin, r9rr archer, r9rr bm, and r9rr barb and the sin gets in range to tele stun you and then waits to hit you until the rest of them get into range before continuing to attack (with maybe a tackling slash in there to keep you from running if you badge off the stun). I think it is pretty obvious you are going to die if you don't do anything, and let's pretend your apoth is on cd, what genie skill would you want to use? If you tried to domain before you started taking massive damage you'd still be stunned/immo'd and die when domain ends, and you'd be really rolling the dice trying to wait for the proc before hitting domain.. as it'd be very easy to take a few hits at the same time and bypass your charm. If you were to use AFA on the other hand, it is unlikely that they would bypass your charm, and a very good chance you'd get a proc in time to save you. Even in less extreme examples, AFA costs significantly less than domain (like 42% less energy) and 1/3 the cooldown.. so if you can get by with AFA instead of domain, it is almost always a good thing.

The only times I really wish I had domain is when I get surprised by how much damage I take and am already low.. if I'm down to 1k hp and charm is still on cd.. obviously this would be a case where domain is better.. having the equivalent of 2k hp isn't really all that useful. In a vast majority of cases though, AFA makes me nearly immortal for 10 seconds with the possibility for purify proc.. and costs significantly less and can be used more often than domain. I still like domain, but wouldn't even consider dropping AFA for it.

edit: you can get your level to update by changing your avatar to something and then changing it back. Just click the picture, select something else, then go back to your wiz again.
    edited March 2013
    Options
    How much hp/def levels do you have? I'm just wondering for comparison because I only have around 14k fully buffed and usually use a Jones rather than an O'Malley's. Once I go fully r9r3 rather than just the weapon that sounds like it actually might be a more effective method though.

Also, I tried to change it (like, just now), changed it to the psy I have on this account and back, and it didn't work.

• Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    How much hp/def levels do you have? I'm just wondering for comparison because I only have around 14k fully buffed and usually use a Jones rather than an O'Malley's. Once I go fully r9r3 rather than just the weapon that sounds like it actually might be a more effective method though.

Also, I tried to change it (like, just now), changed it to the psy I have on this account and back, and it didn't work.

My pwcalc is in my signature, but I'm 16.2k hp, 18.8k pdef, 18.4k mdef, 84 def level self buffed. I didn't realize you weren't full r9rr, from your signature I just assumed you had all the armor as well.. and with 14k hp fully buffed you're probably right to use domain most of the time (especially if you just got purged or something). I also tend to run around with anni blessing 95% of the time, and only momentarily switch to jones before a sutra/ult or some kind of kill combo.. I prefer the defense levels most of the time :P

That's really odd with your avatar, switching it has always fixed it for me lol :/
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm getting close to being able to get the r9r3 set +10 with citrine gems, only need about 100 or 200m more, but then I'd be more or less flat broke and I hate being in that position. I'll probably do it in a few months once I'd have a significant amount of coin left over. If I had your gear set I might go the aquaflame route too. b:cry

And I cleared up my signature for ya b:chuckle

• Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm getting close to being able to get the r9r3 set +10 with citrine gems, only need about 100 or 200m more, but then I'd be more or less flat broke and I hate being in that position. I'll probably do it in a few months once I'd have a significant amount of coin left over. If I had your gear set I might go the aquaflame route too. b:cry

And I cleared up my signature for ya b:chuckle

Your signature looks the same to me b:chuckle Yeah, it's usually a good thing to keep a little coin sitting around.. being flat broke sucks lol
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Apparently the forum doesnt love me b:sad

It's looking right for me though -confused-

edited March 2013
    Options

Change avatars, post then change back...

That has worked for me before I think.

Also, I probably won't end up liking AFA at the moment due to my insanely low HP(12k buffed). If I end up finishing my gear though I'm guessing I will like it a lot more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options

Also, I probably won't end up liking AFA at the moment due to my insanely low HP(12k buffed). If I end up finishing my gear though I'm guessing I will like it a lot more.

That really isn't insanely low, just low :P Tbh, AFA may still be a good choice for lower hp characters, it may not save you from a large gank.. but it is much more spammable than domain is and should still be able to save you a lot of the time. If I had that kind of hp I'd probably have both on my genie, but that's just me :P
    edited March 2013
    Options

I did, the forum hates me b:sad

edited March 2013
    Options
    That really isn't insanely low, just low :P Tbh, AFA may still be a good choice for lower hp characters, it may not save you from a large gank.. but it is much more spammable than domain is and should still be able to save you a lot of the time. If I had that kind of hp I'd probably have both on my genie, but that's just me :P

Yeah we'll see how the next NW goes and then I might get AD again. The one issue I had with domain was that I never seemed to have enough energy to use it :(
    I did, the forum hates me b:sad

:( well that sucks....change avatars for a few weeks and then change back and see if that works?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
  • Saeidon - Heavens Tear
    Saeidon - Heavens Tear Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Sup Surreal!
    Please don't say 12k is insanely low, I only have 13k!!! I guess I have a few JOSD's backing it up, but I feel squishier now :(

*restats to vit wiz*
    I love drinking tea
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Sup Surreal!
    Please don't say 12k is insanely low, I only have 13k!!! I guess I have a few JOSD's backing it up, but I feel squishier now :(

*restats to vit wiz*

Hey! :p 13k only? Isanub you're slacking!

That ToP Emberstormb:dirty

Also: Slightly on topic(I think) I love AFA. I never used to have enough energy for AD when I needed it, but for some reason whenever I need AFA I seem to have enough energy to do so. It does save my butt a lot even without a purify wep to run off the amp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_