Do I need to learn manufacturing skills?

bolocactu
bolocactu Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
The title says it all.
I might be black
Post edited by bolocactu on

Comments

• PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no, if you can trust some people to make your gear or always buy your gear made (or arrange to give them the mats to make you the gear and they give you some money for collateral). rule of the thumb: that guy with the 2billion coin weapon isn't going to steal your 10million coin mats. usually. big faction leaders is also a good choice
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nope. Not needed. I either buy everything pre-made or have friends make what I need. I am basically a pure cash shopper.

My schedule means I either play or farm, and I hate farming.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As those above me have said, its not really necessary if you have friends you know that you can trust...b:pleased

But if you don't know anyone trustworthy and don't trust those offering Smithing services & etc.over WC, then you should have atleast 1-character per server you play on learn the (Crafting, Smithing & Tailoring) skills, as you level your 1-designated character, as you find you need too...b:thanks

((I once would've once said to learn the (Apoth) skill past its 4th level, but now a days all the higher level (pots and powders) that you'll eventually need, are already being sold by K'shops in (Archo and 1000 Streams) for quite nice prices already, so its best for you to level your apoth skills only to about 4th lvl for basic powders & such and then just buy the high-lvl Pots from the shops...))b:victory
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I say yes.
    Why?
    It's always nicer to be able to depend on yourself for things rather than to try to find people to craft stuff for you.
    If you farm for mats as you level, it really cuts down the cost, and you don't need to max each skill, lvl 6 is usually high enough to make anything you want.
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No you dont NEED to, end of story. Whether you still do or dont, its up to you. Consider this - my crafting is level 7 and probably cost me 30+million in mats, to get there.

(as a side note - Ive been that level for a long time - when I levelled to lvl 4, rough fur was selling for 3-4k and I used over 100 of those - they now sell in archasaur for 30k each)
  • _Mg_Zr - Harshlands
    _Mg_Zr - Harshlands Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I say yes.
    Why?
    It's always nicer to be able to depend on yourself for things rather than to try to find people to craft stuff for you.
    If you farm for mats as you level, it really cuts down the cost, and you don't need to max each skill, lvl 6 is usually high enough to make anything you want.

This basically, its difficult to rely on other people. Plus i like having my name on my gear.
    As for anything over lvl 6 it is usually TT99, TT100 that need anything over lvl6, warsoul might as well im not sure. I have never had the privlige of making one b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - 102 Demon Kitty Kat

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
    - Douglas Adams
  • __Conn - Archosaur
    __Conn - Archosaur Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its always nice being independent, however, when u do try to level up your manufacturing skill, your character's level progression is going to be very very slow. You will spend quarter to half of your time farming and I tell you, its not good. So you might as well just get a trustworthy friend to manufacture stuff for you. But if you do try to farm, here's a gigantic help for you to use www.pwmap.ru/pwi/.
  • Labells - Dreamweaver
    Labells - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You don't HAVE to learn crafting however you're always going to be at the mercy of friends generousity, rely on that too much and they may get annoyed that they busted their @sses to get their crafting when you did not.

As for slowing down progression if the baby toons got out of FC and farmed & mob grinded lvl 60 -80 they'd find most of their crafting to reasonable levels done.

and yes I am one of those old timers that would go grind the mats I needed for crafting every 2xs .

Whilst I wouldn't learn all skills on 2 toons on 1 server (that's just cruel) 1 toon that can be your go to for all crafting needs is handy (especially when you want to G16 that TT99 on your main that you wore and is now stuck to you)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bolocactu wrote: »
    The title says it all.

+1 .b:victory
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The only problem between back then and now, is the cost difference in mats. There were either no mat shops to sell to early on, or when they started appearing it was pretty cheap. So using the mats you got from drops was a pretty good use for them, and kept people self-sufficient. They also charged people not of faction to craft molds and such as well.

Nowadays with the price of most of the mats, it is actually better to sell the mats if you can get a good rate on them, buy gold, and then buy the craft levelers when they are on sale. Granted the feeling of actually spending the time and crafting your way up, and getting those 2*s to complete the quests is a pretty sweet feeling. But unless they actually go out and grind the mats, what's the difference between buying all the mats or just buying the levelers? If someone's just going to buy to skip it, might as well go with the most cost effective method.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Granted the feeling of actually spending the time and crafting your way up, and getting those 2*s to complete the quests is a pretty sweet feeling.

And often an exercise in frustration :/
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And often an exercise in frustration :/

Have to get the right time, for when the crafter is lucky. For my final 18/20 I needed to reach 100% lvl 7, I crafted all 7 2*s needed, plus 4 more 2*s of them to sell.

For the 4 and 6 quest, it's easier. Just spam Duke Black's rumor quest until he mentions Craftsman/Blacksmith/Tailor X is lucky. That's when you get the boosted chances, and there are many that can have it happen. With lvl 8, fewer craft NPCs and he rarely mentions them, if at all (honestly can't remember if he does mention them) At that point it's craft a couple, and unless it's hitting 2 or 3 star very 2nd craft, come back later. Would work better if you have all 6 and 7 mats, to use the 6 to find a lucky time.
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    PS: an addition to my first post that I did for you earlier...

Whatever ya do (unless you really like wasting alot of good mats on a (near-worthless ~ Masochistic) crafting skill) never try and learn the {Runecrafting skill} its too much of an investment for way too little in return ~ Hardly anyone will buy anything ya make from it anyways, so it basically SuX iT! As an all around {crafts skill} anyhows, so be sure too try to avoid trying to buy your way (into/through) that skill, unless you really do wanna do it for timed item bonus add's for gears & etc. that'll cost ya a whole lotta coin in mats you'll need for them, then they're really worth...b:thanksb:victory
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have to get the right time, for when the crafter is lucky. For my final 18/20 I needed to reach 100% lvl 7, I crafted all 7 2*s needed, plus 4 more 2*s of them to sell.

For the 4 and 6 quest, it's easier. Just spam Duke Black's rumor quest until he mentions Craftsman/Blacksmith/Tailor X is lucky. That's when you get the boosted chances, and there are many that can have it happen. With lvl 8, fewer craft NPCs and he rarely mentions them, if at all (honestly can't remember if he does mention them) At that point it's craft a couple, and unless it's hitting 2 or 3 star very 2nd craft, come back later. Would work better if you have all 6 and 7 mats, to use the 6 to find a lucky time.

Eh, in my experience I've never seen a different in manufacturing with respect to his rumours.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Metalpuritan - Sanctuary
    Metalpuritan - Sanctuary Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Simple one word answer: Yes.