Worth making a wizard?

Options
blackeroasis
blackeroasis Posts: 29 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Wizard
Hey all, just wondering if it is worth making a wizard for PvP/NW. From what I keep hearing it would be a better investment to spend time and resources in a Seeker or Archer currently. I really like the wizard class and I pretty much love kiting even when playing a seeker so I think the play style suits me.

I mean the end result for anyone wanting an endgame char is to become extremely op and I know all classes are able to be to a certain extent but people cant deny seeing some classes shine a little brighter than others equally geared.

What advantages does an OP wiz have over other OP classes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a little confused on making a decision on wiz/seeker/archer because I don't want to feel like I made a grave mistake later on.

b:surrender
Post edited by blackeroasis on

Comments

• CrossAsassin - Dreamweaver
    CrossAsassin - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If you can fund one, I'd go with a seeker, they have the advantage of having the longest range d skill in the game that has a 100% stun that outranges archers and magic classes, can have a massive amount of defense through their defense levels, deal both magic and physical damage and have a pretty good range of up-close and long-mid range attacks.

Also, unlike wizards, squads are always looking for seekers. If you're a team player, the only buff a wiz can give is frostblade, and with my 96 wiz, if you're not a lot of -chan, when you're rolling through instances with people at your level, you might not even get a skill off (depending on what you're casting) making it terribly boring.

Vortex: Costs 435 mana every 1.5 seconds. Deal constant physical damage
    to targets within a 12 meter radius. Inflict base damage,
    100% of weapon damage, and an additional 8300 damage.
    Channel this power until you run out of mana or cancel it.

DB: The power of the dragon god surrounds you with a torrent of
    magical fire. All nearby targets suffer constant Fire damage.
    Consumes 350 Mana every 3 seconds, inflicting base magic damage
    in addition to 4800.0 damage as Fire damage. Casting will not stop
    until Mana is depleted or the spell is canceled.

Vortex wins out

As for archers, I don't have much experience but seeing as how archers use metal (for the most part) and physical damage, and can be caught by seekers, wouldn't be as good as a seeker.

BOA: You consume 655 mana every 3 seconds to release countless arrows into the sky,
    dealing devastating damage to the target and those within a 12.0 meter radius of the target.
    Inflicts base physical damage with 200% of weapon damage
    as well as 6639.0. ESC cancels the skill.

I'd say Seeker > Archer > Wiz

Although Wiz's can nuke from range, they can be stopped pretty easily unless a very skilled player is playing them, or you're being attacked by an FC baby

Also, leveling a wiz is tedious as all hell
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    At end game, wizards are at the top of the game. We have ridiculously high damage with genie spark and awesome survivability with stone barrier, distance shrink, and purify spell on weapon. A well played wiz should easily best a seeker or archer in a 1v1 situation. Archers are kinda gimp at end game vs other end game classes, and seekers are right behind wizzies in terms of OPness. Not really sure if that helped at all, but yeah :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • NoMinD - Raging Tide
    NoMinD - Raging Tide Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    If you can fund one, I'd go with a seeker, they have the advantage of having the longest range d skill in the game that has a 100% stun that outranges archers and magic classes, can have a massive amount of defense through their defense levels, deal both magic and physical damage and have a pretty good range of up-close and long-mid range attacks.

Also, unlike wizards, squads are always looking for seekers. If you're a team player, the only buff a wiz can give is frostblade, and with my 96 wiz, if you're not a lot of -chan, when you're rolling through instances with people at your level, you might not even get a skill off (depending on what you're casting) making it terribly boring.

Vortex: Costs 435 mana every 1.5 seconds. Deal constant physical damage
    to targets within a 12 meter radius. Inflict base damage,
    100% of weapon damage, and an additional 8300 damage.
    Channel this power until you run out of mana or cancel it.

DB: The power of the dragon god surrounds you with a torrent of
    magical fire. All nearby targets suffer constant Fire damage.
    Consumes 350 Mana every 3 seconds, inflicting base magic damage
    in addition to 4800.0 damage as Fire damage. Casting will not stop
    until Mana is depleted or the spell is canceled.

Vortex wins out

As for archers, I don't have much experience but seeing as how archers use metal (for the most part) and physical damage, and can be caught by seekers, wouldn't be as good as a seeker.

BOA: You consume 655 mana every 3 seconds to release countless arrows into the sky,
    dealing devastating damage to the target and those within a 12.0 meter radius of the target.
    Inflicts base physical damage with 200% of weapon damage
    as well as 6639.0. ESC cancels the skill.

I'd say Seeker > Archer > Wiz

Although Wiz's can nuke from range, they can be stopped pretty easily unless a very skilled player is playing them, or you're being attacked by an FC baby

Also, leveling a wiz is tedious as all hell

Well I don't agree on a lot of points here o.o Your wizard is still lvl 96 so you haven't tasted the end game. In instances sometimes I even grab aggro from sins, and I keep dealing top damage on the mobs with my AoEs, the channeling is fairly decent. Also with my sage DB even r9 seekers got problems keeping the aggro from me.

For NWs I do pretty great, I don't have any problem with decent geared seekers. The dmg a wizard can deal at end game is outstanding. Also I agree with everything what Adroit said.

b:pleased
  • Flamespirit - Dreamweaver
    Flamespirit - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Geuss it depends on exactly what your after. If it is Nation war tokens then a r9 final cast barb all sharded with vit stones si going to get more token than a wizard any day of the week. Same with bm. Probably same with seeker.

If you just want ot kill people than a wizzy is a fine choice, as well as seeker, and IDK but archers rack up alot of kills too. Maybe archer is at disadvantage in one v one, but in alot of situations they are killing stuff so far away that half the time the target doesn't even realize where the attacker is. I'm a r9 final cast +10 all and archers are the class that kills me most in tw or nw. Half the time im fighting someone else and then I start dieing really fast an it is a freaking archer killing me from the back or side.

Essentially at end game any class besides a sin is going to do well at nw/tw and played with skill will do just fine in pvp.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Geuss it depends on exactly what your after. If it is Nation war tokens then a r9 final cast barb all sharded with vit stones si going to get more token than a wizard any day of the week. Same with bm. Probably same with seeker.

If you just want ot kill people than a wizzy is a fine choice, as well as seeker, and IDK but archers rack up alot of kills too. Maybe archer is at disadvantage in one v one, but in alot of situations they are killing stuff so far away that half the time the target doesn't even realize where the attacker is. I'm a r9 final cast +10 all and archers are the class that kills me most in tw or nw. Half the time im fighting someone else and then I start dieing really fast an it is a freaking archer killing me from the back or side.

Essentially at end game any class besides a sin is going to do well at nw/tw and played with skill will do just fine in pvp.

What makes you think HA classes always get more tokens in nw? And an end game sin is perfectly capable of doing well in PvP, nw, and tw.. just because most sins suck doesn't mean they all do lol
  • _Raido - Archosaur
    _Raido - Archosaur Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Hey all, just wondering if it is worth making a wizard for PvP/NW. From what I keep hearing it would be a better investment to spend time and resources in a Seeker or Archer currently. I really like the wizard class and I pretty much love kiting even when playing a seeker so I think the play style suits me.

I mean the end result for anyone wanting an endgame char is to become extremely op and I know all classes are able to be to a certain extent but people cant deny seeing some classes shine a little brighter than others equally geared.

What advantages does an OP wiz have over other OP classes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a little confused on making a decision on wiz/seeker/archer because I don't want to feel like I made a grave mistake later on.

b:surrender

It's the hardest class to learn, and the best one to master. If you're willing to put time and effort into being a wizard, you'll definitely be rewarded.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    _Raido wrote:
    It's the hardest class to learn, and the best one to master. If you're willing to put time and effort into being a wizard, you'll definitely be rewarded.

No competent healing skills, no great tanking skills, no where near the best sustained dd, no summons or pets: pretty simple to master.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2013
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    No competent healing skills, no great tanking skills, no where near the best sustained dd, no summons or pets: pretty simple to master.

Every class is easy to master, nothing in this game is even remotely difficult to figure out.
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Why don't you make one of each and play them for a while and see what best suits your play style? Every class has strengths and weaknesses. I have a 3rd cast r9 wiz and a seeker with Awakened Lionheart armor and G16 Infinite Longing weapon. Before NW came about and everyone had recast R9, seeker was great for PVP. The first few weeks of NW I played mostly on my seeker rather than my wiz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Raido - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    Options

I take it you've never 1v1'd as an endgame wizard nor have done TW or PK as one.
    If you were even halfway decent with the class you would have said that it took a while to learn to play to its maximum effectiveness.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    So if there are 2 classes that might be slightly better in average kill/death rotio in pvp, that makes it unworthy of making the 3th best.... ?

I sure hope not everyone thinks like this or we'd have a whole bunch of useless classes in this game.
  • Flamespirit - Dreamweaver
    Flamespirit - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Well Idk, my wife plays a bm and I play my wizzy. My wizzy is +11 r93 with **** gems. We are always in the same nation. I simply have to look over my shoulder to watch her play. Her bm has a r8recast axe+7 and recast 8 armor with full vit gems so is like 16.5k life. We are both charmed.

I always...kill atleast triple the amount that she does, while she always goes through her charm three times as fast as me. We nearly always get about the same tokens or sometimes I get even less than her. Taking dmg is a huge part of contri. Geuss thats why I think a full r93 vit stoned barb would out token me simply from being a punching bag.
  • Cody__Tylor - Heavens Tear
    Cody__Tylor - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    No competent healing skills.

Essential sutra

no great tanking skills

Stone barrier, Distance shrink, Arcane defense

no where near the best sustained dd

Genie skill's spark with reduced fire defense with high spike fire damage not enough?

no summons or pets:

Which are easy to kill so does that even matter?

pretty simple to master.

Of course, but not as simple as other classes. Of course you're not good enough to play properly anyway knowing how you play.
    This game is fail-proof unless you are dumber than a donkey. ...Too bad a lot of players fall into that exact category. ~maocchi

Level 81 HA/APS Fox, Level 75 VIT/defense tiger, Level 56 VIT/APS Seeker, Level 54 Dual sword BM, Level 36 assassin, Level 38 Archer, level 32 Priestess, level 41 Wizard on this account. HT~

LVL 24 Mystic~LC
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Every class is easy to master, nothing in this game is even remotely difficult to figure out.

True but sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AshenSkies - Heavens Tear
    AshenSkies - Heavens Tear Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    True but sad.

It's actually "Sad but true."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
    Thank you Silvychar for my siggy :)
  • _Raido - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    Options

When you 1v1 another wizard you can tell if they're bad, can't you too? I've had multiple instances where I'm fighting another R9 and they have no idea how to kill me.

It gets worse when you can do it over and over again.

Without a genie.