Wizard Elders I ask for your counsel

Enemy - Raging Tide
Enemy - Raging Tide Posts: 135 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Wizard
Oh mighty and wise wizard elders of this forum! I come today to seek advice regarding sharding in my r9 recast gears.

2 nights ago under heavy peer pressure I recasted my weapon (although I only had around 100 basic badges). It was risky business as I could've been stuck with +3 weapon for awhile but luckily on the 2nd roll I got some decent stat: 24/5%/17. I know the channeling is pretty disappointing but hey combined with the other 2 stats, the weapon is easily in the top 20th percentile so I'm keeping it!

So now I come to the question, should I put -3% channeling stones or sapphire gems in the weapon? With awesome friend support I was able to +12 the weapon after recasting it so I'm sitting at some pretty high attack range. I figured maybe channeling stones will benefit me more but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I am a sage wizard and here is my pwcalc: http://pwcalc.com/0a231c1b5bdd45e9

Another thing is about my armor sharding. After recasting my armor set last month, my friend gave me the diamond of tigers for free and convinced me to put them in my armor. So far I sharded 8 of them but I'm not sure if I should go full DoTs.
My options right now are:
1) put 8 more DoTs in robe and shoes
2) put exclusive citrine shards in them and eventually (maybe after 10month) farm and substitute with JoSD
3) put garnet or mix shards?

Some additional useful info to know:
Stone of Savant = ~ 55mil on our server
Sapphire Gem = ~18mil
DoT= ~20mil

Also important info! I am definitely not rich ingame and I got my full r9 recast mainly due to the amazing friends I have who help me tons after I came back to the game last november after being inactive for about a year.

Okay I will stop here now before this end up being a huge wall of text!
Wise wizard elders please share with me your vast knowledge and put me in the right direction! Thanks b:kiss
Post edited by Enemy - Raging Tide on

Comments

• MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Your mp is high. Matk gets good boost from manifest virtue so to maximize its potential should shard g13 mana shards.

As for wep, put josd in it because your def lvls are low.
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    edited January 2013
    Your mp is high. Matk gets good boost from manifest virtue so to maximize its potential should shard g13 mana shards.

As for wep, put josd in it because your def lvls are low.

I asked for WIZARD ELDERS not FISH TROLLS! b:angry
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Gz on your new stuffz! If I were you I'd shard sapphire gems, it's surprising how much they affect your matk with the crazy high magic everyone has now. Channeling gems are great for channel builds, but honestly with your amount of channeling I doubt you'd really see much of a difference at all. I swap out my phys/magic cv rings in pk all the time (mainly for the damage), and I really can't tell the difference most of the time.

As for armor, I'd REALLY recommend staying away from dots. I'm running around with full +12 armor with jades in hat/top and immac everywhere else, and I can tell you that my issue is survival.. not damage. I pretty much get to choose whoever I want to take down in pvp (minus a full buffed 3rd cast bm I guess..), but I still feel squishy doing it (I have to kite earlier than I'd like to.. and bms/sins/barbs have an easier time harassing me in pvp even though I can usually escape.. I spend a lot more time kiting than killing sometimes) Assuming you have atk level similar to mine, sharding full dot is going to increase your damage by maybe 10%.. which is nothing to ignore.. but the increase in survival would be much larger than 10%. I really need to get to bed or I'd do this for you, but plug in your numbers to http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html#charClass=5&level=100&vit=5&mag=5&str=5&dex=5&hp=7000&pdef=4000&mres=4000&deflev=0&opplev=101&oppattlev=93&pdefbuff=120&mresbuff=60&hpbuff=30&pdefgearbuff=0&mresgearbuff=0&hpgearbuff=5&dlevbuff=0&optimalType=2&opppreset=3&buffpreset=3&gemquality=1&calcOptimal=0&numSock=24, and it will tell you how the different shard choices compare. JOSD will clearly be the best under pretty much every realistic situation, but you still get pretty good boosts with cit gems and vit stones as well. With all that said, if I were you I'd probably just shard exclusive hp/pdef for now, and work on refines first. At least on LC, refines give much more "bang for the buck" than shards atm
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I asked for WIZARD ELDERS not FISH TROLLS! b:angry

Why not both?
    Considering my wiz is older than your server i think i can be considered an elder, right? b:mischievous
  • Spell_Caster - Raging Tide
    Spell_Caster - Raging Tide Posts: 2,216 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well is so simple...
    Use those exclusive hp shards from lumi as shards should be ur last thing to work on. Make sure u +12 all items first for survivability. Get a pdef ring pq one and +12 it same ur necklace. U need to survive the next 2 arrows from the archers once they purge. Hp u get from rafining the highest available gear on server.
    If someone hates you for no reason, then give that **** a reason!b:chuckle
  • FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    weapon icebourne
    armor josd

no excuses!
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    edited February 2013
    Alrighty I'm going to go with exclusive citrines for now until the eventual josd!

And for the weapon will do sapphire gems for more pew pew! b:cute
  • nateb11
    nateb11 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Your first mistake was going sage. If you went demon you would have much better defense, you wouldn't need JOSDs; however since you are i think you should continue to shard DoT for damage. They cant kill you if they are dead right? O yeah and gem in the weapon for sure.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mage_fishpan strikes again
    i like potato
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    Mage_fishpan strikes again

b:surrender
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    edited February 2013
    nateb11 wrote: »
    Your first mistake was going sage. If you went demon you would have much better defense, you wouldn't need JOSDs; however since you are i think you should continue to shard DoT for damage. They cant kill you if they are dead right? O yeah and gem in the weapon for sure.

Since when does Demon = much better defense and wouldn't need josd? b:shocked
    If you are talking about demon stone barrier, it only provides about ~2-3% extra physical damage reduction than my sage version. Of course that's good to have, but it =/= much better defenses and no need josd.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    Since when does Demon = much better defense and wouldn't need josd? b:shocked
    If you are talking about demon stone barrier, it only provides about ~2-3% extra physical damage reduction than my sage version. Of course that's good to have, but it =/= much better defenses and no need josd.

I'd assume he's trolling, but who knows.. maybe he's just not the sharpest guy around.
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    Where is prof when you need him?

Demon channel build gogogo
    And don't forget to shard full drakeflames
  • Mooooooooo - Lost City
    Mooooooooo - Lost City Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited February 2013

And don't forget to shard full drakeflames

IMO shard full wood gem because wiz have no def against venos
    youtube channel: youtube.com/user/chezedude
  • FaceRolI - Sanctuary
    FaceRolI - Sanctuary Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited February 2013

prof? :o
    full r999 91% chan wizzy b:kiss

Current build: pwcalc.com/bf1f46790766e26d
    LuLz: pwcalc.com/20f3fa96ab3c4dc0
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    prof? :o

My-en wiz who thought he knew everything about everything.

Ask adroit
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2013

Ask adroit

lmao haven't seen him around in forever. I'm still laughing that he thought I shouldn't kite aps chars when I was running around with 5k hp.. b:laugh He had a lot of really terrible advice lol
  • AshenSkies - Heavens Tear
    AshenSkies - Heavens Tear Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lmao haven't seen him around in forever. I'm still laughing that he thought I shouldn't kite aps chars when I was running around with 5k hp.. b:laugh He had a lot of really terrible advice lol

It's best to just forget about himb:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Surreal_
    Thank you Silvychar for my siggy :)
  • Saethos - Raging Tide
    Saethos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2013

You shouldn't. It's not nice!
    It is said that apple pie is best served Al La Mode, so if you are the pie, consider me your ice cream.
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    edited February 2013
    Update:
    one of my good friend has convinced me to shard 2x Icebourne in my weapon instead of just Sapphire Gems. It would probably take me a month to save up enough coins to buy the 12 g11 to make 2 g12.

What do you guys think of this plan? I mean obviously g12 is better than g11, but is it worth the extra money to get that 50mag atk? Given the other things I could spend my coins on to improve.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What do you accomplish in life on this issue..discuss?

i predict afk wiz in south arch by the banker area ftw.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    g12 sapphires are horrible bang for your buck.. from a practical standpoint you'd be crazy to get them while you are still working on other stuff. That said, I got icebornes because I didn't want to have the g11 gems bugging me forever.. but probably should not have. On LC you're talking like 30m sapphire gems.. so a difference in cost of ~300m for an additional 50 matk from gear. That's 6m per 1 matk.. and assuming you have a decent weapon that isn't even going to be a 1% increase in damage. So you should probably stick to the g11 for now, g12 is mostly just for the looks/knowing that sharding can't be improved.
  • Mooooooooo - Lost City
    Mooooooooo - Lost City Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    g12 sapphires are horrible bang for your buck.. from a practical standpoint you'd be crazy to get them while you are still working on other stuff. That said, I got icebornes because I didn't want to have the g11 gems bugging me forever.. but probably should not have. On LC you're talking like 30m sapphire gems.. so a difference in cost of ~300m for an additional 50 matk from gear. That's 6m per 1 matk.. and assuming you have a decent weapon that isn't even going to be a 1% increase in damage. So you should probably stick to the g11 for now, g12 is mostly just for the looks/knowing that sharding can't be improved.

Whaaat it's more than 1%
    youtube channel: youtube.com/user/chezedude
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    Whaaat it's more than 1%

hmmm, PWcalc isn't super reliable atm, but is showing that the extra 50 equip matk translates to a little less than 400 magic atk.. which is like 1.6% increase to matk (for my gear). Factor in weapon multiplier and static skill damage and I guess it depends on the skill. Something like gush is ~1.3% extra damage, something like BIDS is ~.75% extra damage. Maybe it'd be more fair to say g12 over g11 is ~1% extra damage.
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    edited February 2013
    Wow I feel lucky g11 sapphires are only around 15mil on my server!
    Anyway thanks for the input guys I'm going to just put g11s in my weapon for now. Don't think I should spend 100mil+ extra for 50matk while alot of my other gears still need improvement.