Can't download the game

Options
Gwendollyn - Dreamweaver
Gwendollyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Support Desk
So my laptop died tonight and I need to move back over to my desktop, unfortunately I hadn't updated it in ages and the patcher wasn't working. So I uninstalled pwi on there and I'm now trying to reinstall it, but it won't let me. I'm on attempt number 5 using the direct download, but there are two things that seem to keep happening.

1) the DEP (data error prevention? Or something like that) closes the download thingy.
or
2) the connection fails or something, it goes from saying its downloading at so many kb per second to (null:)

any suggestions for how to get past these by any chance? b:surrender
Post edited by Gwendollyn - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Did you read the bit about your security software (antivirus) on the download page? Best bet is that it's giving a false positive and killing the download.

There's also the torrent method, which in my experience, is faster by far. (still have to fix your antivirus though.)
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • zobdawson
    zobdawson Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Did you read the bit about your security software (antivirus) on the download page? Best bet is that it's giving a false positive and killing the download.

There's also the torrent method, which in my experience, is faster by far. (still have to fix your antivirus though.)

Can anyone recommend a Torrent program that would be suitable for this task? I ask, though I am not the original poster, because download also fails for me.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    zobdawson wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Torrent program that would be suitable for this task? I ask, though I am not the original poster, because download also fails for me.

My personal fav is utorrent.

And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Gwendollyn - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You were right it was the the anti-virus. It finally let me download the game when I turned it off, but apparently pwi hates me, because after downloading it just brought up a notepad file instead of the installer b:sad

I'm trying the torrent download now, so hopefully the game actually downloads instead of another notepad file b:irritated

thank-you for your help though, Allisandre =D
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    that's a bug in the installer because they designed it like it's a CD/DVD. Just open the folder it downloaded the files to and run install.exe.

And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Gwendollyn - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Finally got it back earlier today, thank-you so much for all your help =) the torrent download ended up working smoothly before I saw the explanation about opening the file. Thank-you again for all your help, Allisandre =)
  • zcd66
    zcd66 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You were right it was the the anti-virus. It finally let me download the game when I turned it off, but apparently pwi hates me, because after downloading it just brought up a notepad file instead of the installer b:sad

I'm trying the torrent download now, so hopefully the game actually downloads instead of another notepad file b:irritated

thank-you for your help though, Allisandre =D

MINE IS DOING THE SAME WITH THE NOTEPAD AND IT'S VERY VERY ANNOYINGb:angry
  • jpablo
    jpablo Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Atm its happening me the same to Gwen, just open the luncher but there says "Unable to proceed update" b:cry