West coast Server question

Nymuae - Lost City
Nymuae - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Support Desk
Okay so when I first joined pwi, there were no east coast servers so naturally I joined the west coast server. And for two years everything was going great, I rarely ever got disconnected, but now I get disconnected at least seven times a day.

My question is; Does it matter if I am on the west coast servers even if I live on the east coast? And will my connection improve if I switch to an east coast server?
Post edited by Nymuae - Lost City on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Okay so when I first joined pwi, there were no east coast servers so naturally I joined the west coast server. And for two years everything was going great, I rarely ever got disconnected, but now I get disconnected at least seven times a day.

My question is; Does it matter if I am on the west coast servers even if I live on the east coast? And will my connection improve if I switch to an east coast server?

I play from Michigan and regularly have a ping of around 175 to the Sanctuary server. It sometimes will peak into the upper 200's but isn't anything that causes serious lag issues.

I do, however, occationally have problems with the regional routers in Colorado, or in Texas that will cause me to DC. Contrary to popular belief, the internet does not always automatically reroute around problem areas like this to find a better route. (especially when it's a very large regional hub such as these two.)

Usually when this happens, I find that if I unplug my modem for a minute or two, (absolute minimum of 60 seconds), it will typically find a new route around the problem area. (Sometimes it doesn't work though because the hub in Euless Texas is a rats nest of wiring and they actually have 4 hubs that it may go through there. I've seen the building, it's not a pretty sight inside. And while it may have a better overall connection than the one hub in Colorado, hopping 4 routers in one building can cause some unwanted latency sometimes when it's continually re-routing internally for load-balancing purposes.)

For me, switching to an East coast server, provided very little difference in the quality of the connection. (And oddly, sometimes even gets routed down to Texas, over to Atlanta, and then back up to New York.)
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary
    OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Hmm, DISCONNECTIONS DOES NOT matter you can live anywhere in the world. Internet is basically hop by hop routing, so if any device on the hop drops the packets you would get disconnected. Even if You might be in the directly connected subnet of the server but if wiring is faulty you would still get disconnected. So, basically for disconnections it does not matter where you live, but for better pings/latency it is recommended you live in a area close to the server.