fix to the alt problem?

Channman - Lost City
Channman - Lost City Posts: 491 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Nation Wars
would there be a way to make it so anyone using the same IP address be put in the same nation while still keeping it random for everyone else? I think after a few wars of people would stop using alts or at least the number would drop
Post edited by Channman - Lost City on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    would there be a way to make it so anyone using the same IP address be put in the same nation while still keeping it random for everyone else? I think after a few wars of people would stop using alts or at least the number would drop

A very interesting solution. Now to just wait a year for PW-CN to get a clue, and another 6 months for them to pretend to implement it.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    multiclienting is alowed only because it is too difficult (meaning costly i guess) for pwi to enforce rules against it.

So ye there are plenty of solutions to stop it, but it wont happen or multiclienting wouldnt even exist.

If your question if there would be a solution was truely a naive one and you dont know if it is possible, easy or very hard: Think about online poker. If they would not have effective ways to prevent such ****, online poker would have died to it before it came off the ground. Off course lots of money goes around in poker, so there are enough resources to enforce the rules.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    multiclienting is alowed only because it is too difficult (meaning costly i guess) for pwi to enforce rules against it.

So ye there are plenty of solutions to stop it, but it wont happen or multiclienting wouldnt even exist.

False. Multiclienting was allowed on every version of PWI and the only reason it wasn't allowed here at first was a stupid rule based on something that wasn't true in the first place. After realizing enough people flat-out ignored the rule to not make it worth enforcing as well as the fact that it had no real justification, it was altered.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    OPKossy wrote: »
    False. Multiclienting was allowed on every version of PWI and the only reason it wasn't allowed here at first was a stupid rule based on something that wasn't true in the first place. After realizing enough people flat-out ignored the rule to not make it worth enforcing as well as the fact that it had no real justification, it was altered.
    The original rule forbade running multiple clients on one computer. I still keep to that limitation, I just happen to have several computers. (4PC's and a server, just sitting at my desk.)
    What really changed it was the realization that individuals were cornering entire markets by running 20 catshops out of their house. The impact that this had on the economy became very apparent by certain factions abuse of power and once realized, needed to be put to a halt. Thus the new wording of the rule which limits the number of connections on a per-household/person basis.

Essentially, we are facing a similar issue here with people leaving Alt in NW just to collect points/tokens/items to make money on without actually being there and putting effort into it.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I took a look at the TOS to make a point about multi-client.

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

but the TOS don'T say anything about it here, they used to. I guess it's in the game installation now.

Any other TOS copy dated 2012 somewere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FluffyRoar - Heavens Tear
    FluffyRoar - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2012

So, if enough people break a rule, GM's will stop enforcing them and eventually allow it?

Looks like I found a new sig. b:cute
    Just getting ready for Christmas.

[SIGPIC]http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380628_10151323310608254_645628187_n.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I post pictures of myself in every post I make. Maybe it's in relation to what I'm talking about, maybe it's just a random picture of me showing off. Who knows!
  • Flamespirit - Dreamweaver
    Flamespirit - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well considering how many 105 players we still have with us from the very obvious goonz glitching days....yeah, I don't get to scared about rule breaking.

I play, My wife plays, and my child plays. We all play from the same internet router and we all play our two accounts, however in nation wars we generally don't bother to play our alts, unless our nation gets boxed in at the start. Then we log on our alt and try for a different non stupid nation. We also generally turn off the main.

So far I have seen little problem with anyones alts on my server. It was quickly found out that unless you actually spend some time playing it, your probably not going to get a reward and if somehow you do, it was not worth the lesser reward that your main recieves from the time spent messing with the alt. I suspect time will fix any alt issues on your server.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited December 2012

That would be perfect. Have 2 or more people in the same household make a squad. Since everyone with the same ip would be put in the same nation. And everyone in the same squad would also be put in the same nation. Welcome to nation wars... where all the r9s will actually be in ONE nation.
    Essentially, we are facing a similar issue here with people leaving Alt in NW just to collect points/tokens/items to make money on without actually being there and putting effort into it.

You really think alts don't do any real work? The marginal improvement that my alt's buff adds to my main's overall capabilities is a lot more then what I can say for quiet a few randoms that are in there.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeat again I only saw in 3 week 1 player comming to see me and ask for cleric buff.

While I see countless player get killed like me, spawn near me and rush back in a fight empty HP whit no buff. ( not like me )

And I was just there, beside then runing after them trying to buff ppl, cause I know they have bettr gear them me, and cleric buff make a diff sometimes.

While you alt is resting in 1 spot, taking someone place / points just to what, buff you, so what, make more tokens.

What is the point, if you need or want some buff, why not ask ppl in your map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Northern - Dreamweaver
    Northern - Dreamweaver Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes an alt in Nw for the purposes of a buff is not a worthwhile idea. Considering that after you die the first time you get a partial barb and cleric buff, whats the point really. There are the tidal wafers that are free from monday event, etc. About the only alt I could think of that would be good in Nw as a buff buddy would be a veno for bramble.
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Wrong. The truth is actually more stupid than your explanation. The reason PWI changed the rules is because they renamed the launcher. Renaming the launcher caused the application check searching for running instances of the old name stopped working and allowed you to open multiple instances on the same computer. That's the only thing that changed, but it forced PWI staff to allow it because all of a sudden the launcher allowed opening multiple windows.

They figured the application was allowing it, so they altered the rules. They didn't realize that the reason the application stopped denying opening a second window was because they renamed the launcher.

It's really quite hilarious when you think about it.
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased