Lag spikes

Options
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
Tis the season to QQ about Lag in Lagosaur. However...

I'm lagging in instances. Ping is usually 80ms for me, today it has been varying from 320 (which is fine), to an equivilant number of the distance from the earth to the moon, in inches.

I've reset my networking gear, restarted my computer, and even tested to make sure my routers are working right, I have very good signal between them so there's almost no lag from that.

Other people in squads have either had the same atrocious lag, or been absolutely fine.

Would one of the friendly mods perhaps bug the CM to make a quick check and make sure everything is kosher with the server's connections?
101 Sage Sin*/Archer
100 Demon BM*/Barb
96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
95 Demon Wiz/
94 Sage Veno
85 Psy/80 Mystic
And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
*Pre RB level
Post edited by Sarrafeline - Sanctuary on

Comments

• viciousminx
    viciousminx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Tis the season to QQ about Lag in Lagosaur. However...

I'm lagging in instances. Ping is usually 80ms for me, today it has been varying from 320 (which is fine), to an equivilant number of the distance from the earth to the moon, in inches.

I've reset my networking gear, restarted my computer, and even tested to make sure my routers are working right, I have very good signal between them so there's almost no lag from that.

Other people in squads have either had the same atrocious lag, or been absolutely fine.

Would one of the friendly mods perhaps bug the CM to make a quick check and make sure everything is kosher with the server's connections?

Not just you. Me an a friend have been feeling these lovely effects also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Message Me!Submit a Ticket!Forum Rules!
  • _Saikyik_ - Archosaur
    _Saikyik_ - Archosaur Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    That's lag spike that you have is the best ping we get here in Australia. But I have also being getting lag spikes. Today I spiked up to 3k but only for a few seconds before going down to normal again. b:victory
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Common reasons that you can't connect to the servers, experience disconnects, or just have lag in general...

1. You don't have the client set to run as administrator.
    2. You don't have the game directory set as an exception in your security softwares.
    3. Your network adapter driver is out of date and needs to be refreshed.
    4. Your local area network settings are improperly configured.
    5. You have more than one firewall and don't realize it.
    6. Your firewall settings are too strict. (Very common with ZoneAlarm and Commodo firewall.)
    7. Your router is configured improperly.
    8. you have a bad network cable.
    9. You're using a wireless network connection. (Which leads to another huge list.)
    10. You have a lot of traffic on your local network that is bogging your router/modem down.
    11. There's a fault in your router.
    12. There's a fault in your modem.
    13, You have a bad phone cord plugged into your modem.
    14. There's an issue with your house wiring.
    15. There's an issue with your outside wiring.
    16. A squirrel chewed on your phone line at the pole and it's raining. (I've had this happen personally.)
    17. A switch/router at the CO for your ISP is having an issue.
    18. One of the many hubs between you and PWI is having an issue. (most common)
    19. There is heavy sunspot activity. (has happened within the past two years)
    20. There's a regional router outage. (Has happened several times, most recently just a couple of months ago.)

That's just a few. The more details you give, the better I can narrow it down and tell you what the issue is.

Also, post a copy of a traceroute to the server.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, the snowmen don't cause lag, they kill the FPS on systems that are unable to run the client efficiently.
    Here's a couple of interesting articles...
    Lag vs FPS
    How to get rid of Lag guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Common reasons that you can't connect to the servers, experience disconnects, or just have lag in general...

1. You don't have the client set to run as administrator. Checked, it is set up as so.
    2. You don't have the game directory set as an exception in your security softwares. I don't have any security softwares.
    3. Your network adapter driver is out of date and needs to be refreshed. I'm using an Intel Pro 1000S network card. I have the most current network drivers possible from Intel.
    4. Your local area network settings are improperly configured. Hooooo boy. I'm running a somewhat complicated home network, it consist of two routers, a pair of switches, and what seems like miles of cables. First, the internet comes in to a Cable modem. Since my internet speed right now is 25 MB/sec down, I run a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, which I purchased myself. The modem has a cable that runs half the legnth of my apartment, to a WRT-54GL router, running DDWRT. The internet then wirelessly transmits to a WRT-54G2, also running DDWRT. The internet then runs several inches, to a gigabit switch. Then, spaghetti comes out the back of it, most of it running to the 5 old servers I have, but one cable runs to a second gigabit switch. My gaming system, browsing/catshop system, and Wii are plugged into this switch. I also have an iPhone and a PS3 wirelessly connecting to the WRT-54G2/WRT-54GL. Since I have a router set up as a router, and a router set up as a bridged client, I only have DHCP running on the GL router. That router manages all of my network settings. I can, however, log in on the G2 router and check wifi signal, which is quite strong. I have a 48 MB/sec connection 90% of the time, signal strength is excellent at that speed.
    5. You have more than one firewall and don't realize it. I have one firewall in my main router, and the Windows Firewall. Seeing how one is hardware and the other software, this shouldn't be an issue.
    6. Your firewall settings are too strict. (Very common with ZoneAlarm and Commodo firewall.) I no longer run either of those firewalls due to the scary way they modify/damage the IP routing table in Windows.
    7. Your router is configured improperly. I sure hope not, it took me several weeks of tweaking to get it running right.
    8. you have a bad network cable. This could be a disaster. I have like 10 miles of that **** in here...
    9. You're using a wireless network connection. (Which leads to another huge list.) It's either WiFi or run a cat6 cable the 90 feet from the modem to he switch in here... Not gonna happen.
    10. You have a lot of traffic on your local network that is bogging your router/modem down. Typically no. My servers are mostly fileservers, and thus, they are only accessing the internet to download updates.
    11. There's a fault in your router. I hope not. I just replaced a WRT-54G router (with Micro DDWRT on it) because it drops WiFi every 10-20 minutes, most likely a bad/burning out radio.
    12. There's a fault in your modem. Modem is ~3 months old, and rather reputable, based on my research.
    13, You have a bad phone cord plugged into your modem. Oh dear god, you just brought back memories of 14.4k dialup.
    14. There's an issue with your house wiring. Does popping the circuit breaker if I plug a hair drier in in the bathroom and turn it on count?
    15. There's an issue with your outside wiring. This apartment complex was constructed in 1972. I have no doubt that the power wiring has been updated, but I think this unlikely.
    16. A squirrel chewed on your phone line at the pole and it's raining. (I've had this happen personally.) I also had a cable crimp go bad on the line outside my house; since I was the last customer on that end of cable, they never figured it out until I was having constant problems with my internet, and called to ask them about it. Since my problems NOW are ONLY happening when I play PWI, I find this to be unlikely.
    17. A switch/router at the CO for your ISP is having an issue. Possible. Internet drops for 2-5 minutes one to five times every 48 hours.
    18. One of the many hubs between you and PWI is having an issue. (most common) Running a tracerout to the PWI servers results in low pings, right up to PWI's ISP.
    19. There is heavy sunspot activity. (has happened within the past two years) 2012/2013 is supposed to be the most active sunspot and CME period for the next 12 years. It is possibly why my radio picks up a lot of static right now. Still doesn't explain my tracerouts though...
    20. There's a regional router outage. (Has happened several times, most recently just a couple of months ago.) A friend of mine had a Colo set up in Texas. Due to unknown reasons, the ISP's building caught on fire and exploded. Needless, my website was inaccessible for about 3 days while the backup servers were mirrored to a new colo server.

That's just a few. The more details you give, the better I can narrow it down and tell you what the issue is.

Also, post a copy of a traceroute to the server.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, the snowmen don't cause lag, they kill the FPS on systems that are unable to run the client efficiently. Large numbers of objects being independantly rendered tends to do that. I was having constant Bug Report CTD's, however, verifying client, turning on Best Performance when in town, and anything else relating to this has nothing to do with massive lag spikes while in, say, Warsong, or Abbaddon. Mostly due to the fact that while in such instances, there are no snowmen, and no snow. I could see this being an issue if you were in a highly populated area, however, I was getting lag spikes while killing mobs, all on my own, in one of the more remote areas of Morai.
    Here's a couple of interesting articles...
    Lag vs FPS
    How to get rid of Lag guide.

o.o Red bold text, ftw.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am unable to ping/traceroute due to some configuration on BitDefender's firewall that I have yet to figure out.

Currently sitting at 180ms ping in-game though (Shows 78ms on server selection screen, go figure.)
    What I do know is that between myself and my CO, I have my PC and two routers. The average ping to my regional hub is less than 10ms.

After that though... There's 11 stops that my signal takes between me and the PWI ISP's. I know that when I was able to traceoute, 90% of the lag spikes I got could be traced to one of those points. (the remaining 10% being either my ISP, or something local, with the exception of a couple of DDoS attacks on the servers a couple years ago.)

So that said, the majority of lag people experience is most likely out there in the vast expanse of the internet. There's nothing wrong with the game servers or their connections, and there's likely nothing wrong with your internet setup.

(And if anyone knows what the hell it is with BitDefender that keeps me from getting return pings outside of my network, shoot me a message. It's been driving me nuts for a while.)
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    What I find interesting is when almost everyone in squad/faction experiences a huge lag spike at the same time. All living in different countries/areas.

I've been getting a stupid amount of bug reports since the expansion but lag-wise, not been too bad.
    Does popping the circuit breaker if I plug a hair drier in in the bathroom and turn it on count?

This made me laugh. Currently if I have the lights on in the back entryway and run the vacuum in my bedroom I blow the power in half the house. Of course we are also in the process of rewiring. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Boartracker - Raging Tide
    Boartracker - Raging Tide Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I'm sorry, but what you speak of is not Lag. It is just some of the new features introduced into the game. Just be glad we get them for free instead of having to buy such from the Boutique.

b:bye