NW from a BM's perspective (video)

Options
CapnK - Sanctuary
CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Blademaster
Here's tonight's NW. I'm going to try to stream all of them from now on.

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/346198032

Sorry about the low quality, will try to improve that for next time.

Comments welcome. I did pretty badly at the beginning but there's some good stuff later on!
Post edited by CapnK - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver
    SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    QQ cant watch it on my tablet... Plz youtube im to lazy to minimize the game
    101/101/102
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also run around as a R1 seeker named WildFireXIII b:chuckle and now as a Stormbringer named xGrimStormxX, and no I'm not Grim from Kindred
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I'll watch it while eating and being afk b:victory.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Here's tonight's video: http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/346810034

This one is a lot more watchable than the last one so check it out!
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • Zarkin_Baxil - Raging Tide
    Zarkin_Baxil - Raging Tide Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Can you record and 2x speed? I like the videos but it's hard to watch in normal speed.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Blademasters are difficult in NW, I find. Ranged owns, its all about damage and kiting. Very difficult to do as melee.

Thanks for the videos....and I second the idea that 2x speed might be more effective, that way you don't have a 2 hour video b:victory
    PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's a stream so it records in real time. I'll see about transferring it to another format when I have some time.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Blademasters are difficult in NW, I find. Ranged owns, its all about damage and kiting. Very difficult to do as melee.

Then you're doing it wrong according to all the BMs, Barbs, and Sins that do overly well in NW.

All of the classes can be good if played well. BMs are a difficult class to PK/TW/NW with, but by far not less effective than any other class in NW if played well.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks for the videos....and I second the idea that 2x speed might be more effective, that way you don't have a 2 hour video b:victory

Haven't played more than a couple TWs in the past 2 years, and most of my gear is over 2 and a half years old. Just started up and jumped into NW to try it out, and still made 96 supply thingies while trying to find out what the heck to do. So a BM who has even close to current gear, knows what all those weird new skills do, or has been in a few NW should have no problem getting points in there.

Though if they run in like they're AoEing FCC mobs, they deserve to lose and be beaten to death by hungry orphans. Choosing priority targets, avoiding frontlines except when dropping in to HF kill the gankers not targeting you, and utilizing all the different weapons makes for a real easy NW.

Still love the 2 kills I got with a Unicorn bow in there though.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Here's a new one. Morai 101 CapnK versus r999 TheDan, who wins? The answer may surprise you...

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/350682589
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Here's a new one. Morai 101 CapnK versus r999 TheDan, who wins? The answer may surprise you...

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/350682589

You might point out where this happens b:pleased.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Ho...ly......****. That is the only thing I can say after suffering through the first 2 maps of watching that confused character bearing only passing resemblance to a BM.

The only time I was not mentally castigating that video, was where they stunned the barb that was near dead, and moved on knowing the archer could handle. That was literally it. There was no skilled weapon swapping, Smack was used as a ranged attack instead of as Smack, and just about everything else was horribad from a BM's perspective.

For anyone wanting to know how to play as a CSer, that is a good video to follow. If you want to play well, pretty much avoid everything that video showed. I mean dear god.

EDIT ADD: For Christ's sake, he followed after a barb after the cleric died trying to hit them with a ranged attack. A ranged attack, on a frickin kitty form barb!! Learn to overtake then use the skill for ****s sake.

Further EDIT: Are you afraid of heights, or what? I felt like I was back in the dark ages of Lyndura's nonsense, with that axe spamming no stunlocking won't leave the ground even while using a skill that moved you to their position-ness. I had to make up words to capture the disbelief of incredulity I experienced, watching that video. And each time you would actually do something good, seemed more like an accident when compared to the vastness of all the badness around it.

I mean, axe spam? It wasn't even good axe spam. They may have removed cancel-casting, but after-cast canceling is still alive and well. And that should be the bread and butter of anyone using skill spam. But not once did it show up in there. How the heck did forums get so bad in the 3 years, that everything that was gone over to the point even dead horses would ressurect themselves to say, "enough", did such a disgrace as this come about?
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    There was no skilled weapon swapping,

I'm not aps and my fists are bad. My DPS is much higher with my high-refined axes. My pole is Morai 100 which does no damage in PVP at all. I occasionally use it to GS someone (and admittedly I should have done so on that one barb flag carrier that was difficult to kill), and I'm going to assume you weren't intending for me to use swords in that battle.
    Smack was used as a ranged attack instead of as Smack,

So I'm supposed to walk up to arcanes and sins and let them attack me before I attack them? I suppose that is more sporting. I also used Smack on the barb trying to attack my teammate digging the flag. Guess I shouldn't protect my team.
    For Christ's sake, he followed after a barb after the cleric died trying to hit them with a ranged attack. A ranged attack, on a frickin kitty form barb!! Learn to overtake then use the skill for ****s sake.

This is NW, not TW. Barbs are an excellent source of free points. Any time I can get an attack off on one while moving in the direction of my next objective, sure why not?
    They may have removed cancel-casting, but after-cast canceling is still alive and well. And that should be the bread and butter of anyone using skill spam. But not once did it show up in there. How the heck did forums get so bad in the 3 years, that everything that was gone over to the point even dead horses would ressurect themselves to say, "enough", did such a disgrace as this come about?

Okay I'll claim ignorance here. I used to cancel-cast then quit the game for 2 years during which time it was removed. I wasn't aware there was another version of it available. If you'll explain how to use it, I'll be glad to incorporate it in my repertoire.

I'm not saying I'm good at PVP or anything; I'm not. But I think you're being a little over-critical.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's more that I remember you as being a very late, late Lynduran convert really; and the fact you didn't shift at all for the most part confirming you ignored posts going all the way back to 2009 in this forum on how to properly play a BM.

And did you occasionally use Smack correctly later in the video? Yes. But watch the first two fights, and watch where your mouse and skill choice leant towards. You were using Smack merely as a ranged attack skill to go with that Morai chain thingy. There was no greater thought behind it, or plan to use the sealing portion to lead towards a stun chain or protecting someone. That is what was so horrible about watching the video. It was either Smack killed them, or you would use another ranged attack praying your axes would somehow kill them. Even when all evidence pointed otherwise.

And yes, barbs are good points. But not with ranged skills as they run away, because then you don't hit anything as you impotently spam the skill. Would you Roar someone running out of field of the AoE? Of course not, you'd just waste time, chi, and effort. Yet that is what is done in the case of a barb right after a cleric previously died. The skill never went off, and you just kept chasing him pointlessly. At least if it had hit, it might have done something. Which is why you overtake them and THEN use it.

As for after-cast canceling, that was actually around before cancel-casting. It was something I discovered on my cleric, and brought over to the BM forum when I shifted mains. If you want me to show you, hit me up in Sanctuary later in the day. This is one of the tips I will actually demonstrate still nowadays. Also, this works for every single class in existence, so anyone want to boost their DPS with skill spam feel free to invite along.

• Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    As for after-cast canceling, that was actually around before cancel-casting.

I found some of your earlier posts where you explained that.
    You can chain 2 skills together, to cancel the aftercast of the first one. It also moves you to the range of the shortest range skill being used. Hit the 2nd skill right before the channeling bar comes up for the first skill. It speeds up your attack sequence and prevents the problem of different range skills. Course, you can't use macros with this method.

The difference in waiting time is very minute, unless i did it wrong, very possible. Often times the lag in NW/TW would cause that advantage to be lost. I do find it useful for solving range issues, that gets annoying. I wasn't playing the game actively or leveled, but in tw when things get to the enemy base fps drops down to 1~4, very choppy movement. In NW, when the lights spark up, fps drops, and ping climbs. Maybe it's just my lot in this game not to be able to use these cool things b:chuckle.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I did some training with Telarith yesterday. The after-cast cancelling is not easy to pull off and doesn't seem to work with some skills like Aeolian Blade. If you have a high ping connection good luck trying to land it.

Oh, and I'm not a follower of Lyndura at all. Restatting to 3-2 fist build was the best thing I ever did for my character. I wish I had never read those old BM guides back in the day - they made playing through the game as BM miserable.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    New one: http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/354125945

TheDan powers up this week. What? Over 34000?
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    New one: http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/354125945

TheDan powers up this week. What? Over 34000?

I actually have no idea how I hit you that hard... aren't you full R999? My R999 weapon was still +3 from re-rolling so many times; took me 12 tries to get my +22 attack.

Edit: I re-watched your video, at the 1:23:40 mark, a veno used demon ironwood scarab just as I used tangling mire and zerk crit you when you had sage magic marrow up. You must have had 0 phys def for me to have hit you that hard because there was no HF or amps on you.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Options
    lol no, I wear Morai 101 armor. Demon Ironwood would explain it, damn venos were everywhere tonight. Got purged so many times. b:cry
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    lol no, I wear Morai 101 armor. Demon Ironwood would explain it, damn venos were everywhere tonight. Got purged so many times. b:cry

Oh, that would explain it. They look the same, and you can't exactly player info in NW either.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Made another one tonight. Some pretty good flag runs and an Epic Reel In.

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/363112605
  • Arocus - Archosaur
    Arocus - Archosaur Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Just a few things I noticed in that last one.

Holy Path helps a lot to cap flags faster. But I see you don't have it... For when you aren't carrying the flag, you could replace some of those antistuns with Holy Path when you just want the movement increase.

After you cap a flag, you'll still run at that really low speed. Try opening the character menu (C) and you'll start running at a normal speed.

24:00 made me laugh. Tell barb to get a charm, gets IH spammed. b:chuckle

There are a few times in there that you Sword Cyclone/Blade Tornado on one or two enemies. Considering how useful that skill can be in the right situation (it's saved me and the battle more than a few times) I think being more conservative with it would be beneficial.
    Sage and I stopped watching...*removed*

Totally. It's not like sage has any redeeming skills like Roar costing less chi, Drake's Bash having a chance to cost no chi, and HF returning 75 chi upon cast, or even a sexy crit proc on Highland Cleave.
  • Dragonreaper - Harshlands
    Dragonreaper - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Totally. It's not like sage has any redeeming skills like Roar costing less chi, Drake's Bash having a chance to cost no chi, and HF returning 75 chi upon cast, or even a sexy crit proc on Highland Cleave.

Please tell me that's a joke. You named 3 skills that are better in demon, roar costing less chi? How about never fail when hit. DB having less chance to cost no chi? How about extra stun time and Hf... just no. But I will agree with highland cleave but the others... just no.
  • Arocus - Archosaur
    Arocus - Archosaur Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Please tell me that's a joke. You named 3 skills that are better in demon, roar costing less chi? How about never fail when hit. DB having less chance to cost no chi? How about extra stun time and Hf... just no. But I will agree with highland cleave but the others... just no.

Demon does have great effects, but that doesn't mean sage is bad. The sage adds on those skills are good and when used together you're saving a heck of a lot of chi and can, ultimately, use those skills more often. Instead of roar+HF taking 235 chi, sage roar+HF takes what, 150? I personally tend to spam roar of the pride nearly on cd, and I'd love to save some of that chi I burn so quickly.

Don't be so quick to dismiss an entire cultivation. BM is an extremely chi-dependent class and sage skills do a wonderful job of saving it. It might just require a different playstyle, but sage is completely viable.
  • Dragonreaper - Harshlands
    Dragonreaper - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Demon does have great effects, but that doesn't mean sage is bad. The sage adds on those skills are good and when used together you're saving a heck of a lot of chi and can, ultimately, use those skills more often. Instead of roar+HF taking 235 chi, sage roar+HF takes what, 150? I personally tend to spam roar of the pride nearly on cd, and I'd love to save some of that chi I burn so quickly.

Don't be so quick to dismiss an entire cultivation. BM is an extremely chi-dependent class and sage skills do a wonderful job of saving it. It might just require a different playstyle, but sage is completely viable.

genie, apoth. Sage sucks.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sage Roar does not have accuracy issues at all. I've seen it miss maybe five times in my whole career. Lower chi cost >>> teeny-tiny accuracy bonus.

I started as Sage in 09 (when *everybody* was Sage), quit the game for two years and never bothered to change. Having said that, I do agree that Demon is the easier of the two cultis to work with. Sage is just fine though.

Low running speed after flag capping is a known issue. Using any run skill gets rid of it, otherwise it stays for quite a while before wearing off. For some reason you still fly at the correct speed, which is why I usually take to the air after capping unless I want to burn a run.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I rest my case.

I ask mods to ban/give warning to this user for the language being used and spamming in some topics.

Topic in hand
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'm sorry, what case did you rest?

[/URL]

Oh yeah that's the stuff, talk dirty baby
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Options
    First stream I've done in a while, and it ends up being a very good night for me.

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/381104983

3:00 - 17:00 tough battle
    30:00 - 1:03:00 empty instance flag capturing (36:30 surfing flag capture)
    1:11:00 - 1:24:00 great battle
    1:35:00 How long can Cap survive against these odds? Quite a while!
    1:46:30 Army of Two!
    1:49:00 Army of One! (1:55 triplets?)
    1:58:00 1v1 with a tough wizard

And a preemptive hush to Sweetiebot, I'm allowed to necro my own topic. :P
  • titotit
    titotit Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    First stream I've done in a while, and it ends up being a very good night for me.

http://www.twitch.tv/shibakevin/b/381104983

3:00 - 17:00 tough battle
    30:00 - 1:03:00 empty instance flag capturing (36:30 surfing flag capture)
    1:11:00 - 1:24:00 great battle
    1:35:00 How long can Cap survive against these odds? Quite a while!
    1:46:30 Army of Two!
    1:49:00 Army of One! (1:55 triplets?)
    1:58:00 1v1 with a tough wizard

And a preemptive hush to Sweetiebot, I'm allowed to necro my own topic. :P

wht's ur calc? if u dont mind me asking