pack.dll a trojan huh

Options
m1234567890
m1234567890 Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Support Desk
what r u folks up to? i have to reinstall the game every week so i dont have it in my system. i could have the antivirus ignore it, but i found out the hard way what happens when you ignore trojans attached to games. so i'll i'll continue letting the the antivirus remove it and use element.exe to get into game. cause pack.dll is obviously not needed
Post edited by m1234567890 on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    It's a false positive.
    It's been an issue for years.
    It's the way the client calls for information to the Linux database. It happens to closely resemble a macro virus. Because of this, many antivirus programs flag it during their heuristic scans.
    There's even instructions on the download page telling you to exclude the game directory from your antivirus scans because of this.
    Not to mention, it's been talked to death here in the forums, and there's plenty of info on what you need to do to resolve it.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Earthan_Lady - Heavens Tear
    Earthan_Lady - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Kelemvor's will, glad I looked it up before I deleted it b:sweat how annoying
  • BriarIce - Raging Tide
    BriarIce - Raging Tide Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Oh and add the pwi files to your security programme to let them through..it is what I had to do.
    "Karma is a cruel mistress" - Kelley York, Hushed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Silvychar, for the gorgeous sig! b:kiss
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The people here are correct.

I was in the same situation than yours and it bugged me a lot. I was doubtful at first, then followed the others' advice since I had nothing to lose and it worked perfectly. I am grateful to them.

Anyway, it's basically about making AVG (yep, that 's the main culprit this time) accept the patcher.exe file by adding the latter to the exclusion list -meaning no reports or actions when scanning the file-, but also applying the next patch in a manual way then to allow the patcher to verify files.

Good luck on this! See ya.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~