Stones??

Options
Vespin - Harshlands
Vespin - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Cleric
I was wondering which is better for a cleric Defense Level or Physical Defense and even the difference between them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thx for the sig silvy =D
Post edited by Vespin - Harshlands on

Comments

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You mean like JosD and garnet? JosD is better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Try for yourself... http://pwcalc.com/
    Put on your current gear and scroll over your phys or mag. defense and look at the percentage of reduction. Select garnet shards and see if they suffice for your taste or not.

Most people advice to get JoSDs. However, the price...b:surrender
    Your first aim should be to get enough HP (>9000!), anyway. :)
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    They're really just both ways of reducing damage. Physical defense reduces damage first, def levels reduce damage that would actually be landing.

I haven't looked at it on a cleric calc but I know in many cases garnets beat JoSD or vit stones.

So lets say you are going to take 10k physical damage but have 70% physical damage reduction (around 9600 pdef) and 30 def levels. You would first reduce the 10k down to 3k because of your pdef, then the defense levels would take effect the remaining 3k and reduce it to about 2100.

In PvP it works differently were your defense levels first go toward reducing the opponents attack levels at a 1.2:1 rate.

Thought I'd show you this calc (consider it an imperfect, but a decent endgame cleric build just to use).

And I'll put it in to Asters survival index calculator and assume I have 20 shards to place.
    Here is against a PvE opponent where JoSD are better, and in PvP they continue to be better (self buffed) until your opponent has 77 attack levels in their build against a physical opponent. So JoSD effectiveness is largely based on your opponents type of damage too.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Fryvorg - Sanctuary
    Fryvorg - Sanctuary Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    However, Asty's socket calculator never recommends garnet gems, but Josd or vit stones at end game when you choose average protection (which I find more reliable)...
    World is full of illusions.

What if I played a Cleric?

All Joy In Keeping Us Medically Energetic.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Assuming you run around with two Sky Covers, a Cube neck, and a Warsong belt, do full jades.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute