Dealing with bosses

Options
mrcharlytoo
mrcharlytoo Posts: 274 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Archer
(when you don't have a handy barb to hold aggro)

Yesterday I was in a squad with my nub lvl63archer, doing BH51. A lvl9x cleric and 9x archer kindly offered to help run through.

All fine until wyvern. Archer was killed fairly quickly, then me, then the cleric.

We didn't have a barb with us to hold aggro and tank.

So, without a barb, what tactics work?

I suggested that the cleric spam IH on themselves and attack boss, theorizing that the heal spamming + attacks would hold boss's aggro.

Is hit and run an option? If so, what chain of attacks? Pity you can't circle strafe. Or can you do this using Barrage of Arrows?
Post edited by mrcharlytoo on

Comments

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Cleric heals generate a minimal amount of aggro, just above zero. When a cleric is busy healing themselves they won't take aggro from an equal archer just shooting away.

The tactic for such a setup would be; archer takes it on at max range, cleric heals/purifies from max range and the rest just stays away. This way only the archer will get hit as Wyvern's AoE seems to have a range of 25m.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Basically what Nowitsawn said. And IIRC Wyvern's aoe is mostly frontal so the tank should also turn him away (at least that is how it was done back when I did this instance years ago).
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Would any tank other than a barb be able to hold aggro off the archer?

In the absence of a barb, would it be sensible to try tag-teaming?

Say, DD1 (archer) attacks from West. Their health starts to drop too fast. They stop attacking and DD2 attacks from East and switch back as needed.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Any of the hard armor classes can tank it with cleric heals at level. TBH I don't know why the 9x cleric couldn't tank it themselves. TT90 armor and staying at range should've been more than enough for that, nvm the archer. They probably were failing to purify his debuff.

The solution to having an unorthodox tank is simply give whoever it is a chance to establish aggro. Not that bms will have much trouble with that front later on, for example. For bosses that debuff, clerics should be purifying. Wyrvren, Polearm, and Gaurnob having some particularly nasty ones for the low level range. Rather than aggro pong, which actually makes it harder for a cleric to solo heal a squishy tank.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I tanked Ranker with my seeker when it was only lvl6x, so I guess you are right.

Thanks for the info. I guess in future if squad doesn't have a HA toon in it, I'll drag my Seeker along on follow and use it for the boss fights.
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I tanked Ranker with my seeker when it was only lvl6x, so I guess you are right.

Thanks for the info. I guess in future if squad doesn't have a HA toon in it, I'll drag my Seeker along on follow and use it for the boss fights.

Anything can tank, if given time. For example, if you let a bm with claws get 2 or so spark cycles in and the cleric just heals him while the others wait. After a minute or two others can jump in and things should go well.

Aggro management is a long forgotten trait of this game since BP and aps became prevalent.
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

• Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Basically what Decus said.

b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2012
    Options
    b:question

**** my bad bro. I was so tired. Too used to seeing his cleric post here and I was answering another thread earlier b:shutup

Apologies b:surrender

Retired from PWI.

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Heh, I can make posts even when I don't make posts. b:cool
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Options

Another thing you can do is WC for specific types of roles as opposed to specific classes. For example when you say "LF tank," you'll get any of the heavies in BH 51. If you say "LF barb," you might be there for ages. And when you get to BH59, actually any of the arcanes can tank in there too. Although you'll need a real tanky type for polearm in bh69 owning to the debuff. Anyway, if you do bring your seeker I would recommend making sure the cleric knows to purify or the mystic knows to use salvation's shield at the point he debuffs. Otherwise you're likely to die quick.

Heh, I can make posts even when I don't make posts. b:cool

Too pro.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!