Sirens on Linux

Options
altacccsin
altacccsin Posts: 4 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Support Desk
Hi,
I have a quiestin, if is possible or if there is any tutorial how to run pwi sirens of war on linux. There is one working tutorial how to run descent on different OS. Does anything exist? Tyvm b:shockedb:cryb:surrender
Post edited by altacccsin on

Comments

• Etherlan - Lost City
    Etherlan - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    altacccsin wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a quiestin, if is possible or if there is any tutorial how to run pwi sirens of war on linux. There is one working tutorial how to run descent on different OS. Does anything exist? Tyvm b:shockedb:cryb:surrender

It's only been out a few hours haha. I assume it's run through Linux as it is on my computer (OSX). Wineskin runs it fine. Just make sure you install ie8 through winetricks otherwise your skill and item pictures will all be "?".
  • altacccsin
    altacccsin Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Can you contact me on ondrej.smolik(v)gmail.com please? Maybe I'll need some help, I'm not so good in this...thanks :)
  • Ubuntu_CZ - Archosaur
    Ubuntu_CZ - Archosaur Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I did not install it in wine-gecko, I installed it like this: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1301961&highlight=linux , then click to update normally and everything went right, but now I run it and just a smooth window opens and nothing. I don't see any start button, no pictures, just smooth window. If you know any tips how to run it please contact me. b:surrender

I'm "altaccsin" lol<<
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I am still updating so can't confirm that everything works as before but mostlikely.

I just had problem with newest stable version of wine (1.4.something) which fails with thread locks and couldn't run patcher but wine1.5 seems to do patching.
  • Ubuntu_CZ - Archosaur
    Ubuntu_CZ - Archosaur Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Did you use some program like "playonlinux" or "winetricks"? Or you just downloaded the dame client from the page, run that with wine 1.5 and it normally works? I don't know about version 1.5wine.....does it really exist? I can't install it+did you use any libraries?
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I do have winetricks as it makes it easier to handle configuring. Playonlinux is just frontend of wine.

Now I didn't change any settings.

Time to time I had problems with some wine versions. Like icons were messed up. Either changing wine version or observing error messages and downloading some dll files according error message solved problems

Since some patch quite long time ago I had to start running game from commandline to get it working.

> wine ./elementclient.exe

and every wednesday to update from patcher directory

> wine ./patcher.exe

edit: wine1.5 is beta version which can be downloaded if you add ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa software sources

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wine1.5
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    Oniryuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Blargh all over again with deadlocks. 1.2.3 worked fine before Sirens, but unfortunately I'm getting thread deadlocks no matter the version, yes even 1.5.x particularly, 1.5.9 or higher was used due to the mshtml fix so no **** necessary.

This will unfortunately take some time for me to address.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    Zhu - Lost City Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have Wineskin, and now my launcher is just a picture. Any idea what I can do to fix this?
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Everything seems to work normally for me with wine1.5.17
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Everything seems to work normally for me with wine1.5.17

Can you tell me how you got it to work on 1.5.17, please?
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yeah, 1.5.17 was the magical number for me.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Can you tell me how you got it to work on 1.5.17, please?

Well, for that we need more information such as what distro you are running
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I am using same old wine settings as I had always before, d3dx9_36,vcrun6, ie8 packages installed at least if i remember correct.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I am using same old wine settings as I had always before, d3dx9_36,vcrun6, ie8 packages installed at least if i remember correct.

I have clean prefix for it, all I had to do was build and install 1.5.17, then wintricks IE8 for icons and nothing else. In my start script, I do have LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" set though.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have clean prefix for it, all I had to do was build and install 1.5.17, then wintricks IE8 for icons and nothing else. In my start script, I do have LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" set though.

What is this LC-CTYPE you speak of?
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    What is this LC-CTYPE you speak of?

Locale font definitions, so that fonts appear correctly, instead of just installing the chinese pack.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Would you know what causes the patcher to be an image instead of interactive? ;_;
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Would you know what causes the patcher to be an image instead of interactive? ;_;

Well, it might be the threadlocking, if the patcher isn't doing anything. That's where installing 1.5.17 comes in.

I have multiple versions of wine installed for various games, so because of that I manually build all my versions of wine. In my /usr/bin is wine 1.4, but I installed 1.5.17 to /opt/ instead. I have a script that uses that path to start the launcher and the game, along with setting the locale font and winedbugging off to ignore the wine spam and increase the game performance as well.

Script example is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
    cd "/home/xxx/Perfect World Entertainment/Perfect World International/element"
    pwd # This outputs to my terminal to show what directory I am, to verify the directory change is good
    export WINEDEBUG=-all # This turns off all of wine's spam in the terminal except for fatal errors.
    export LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" # Font definition
    /opt/wine1517/bin/wine elementclient.exe
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Well, it might be the threadlocking, if the patcher isn't doing anything. That's where installing 1.5.17 comes in.

I have multiple versions of wine installed for various games, so because of that I manually build all my versions of wine. In my /usr/bin is wine 1.4, but I installed 1.5.17 to /opt/ instead. I have a script that uses that path to start the launcher and the game, along with setting the locale font and winedbugging off to ignore the wine spam and increase the game performance as well.

Script example is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
    cd "/home/xxx/Perfect World Entertainment/Perfect World International/element"
    pwd # This outputs to my terminal to show what directory I am, to verify the directory change is good
    export WINEDEBUG=-all # This turns off all of wine's spam in the terminal except for fatal errors.
    export LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" # Font definition
    /opt/wine1517/bin/wine elementclient.exe

I'm using Wineskin and it does not have 1.5.17 available unfortunately.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I'm using Wineskin and it does not have 1.5.17 available unfortunately.

You can build and install wine normally for Mac OS X

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You can build and install wine normally for Mac OS X

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Ah, I tried that once, but it didn't go so well. ;_;

Still, I'll give it a go! :) Thank you!
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ah, I tried that once, but it didn't go so well. ;_;

Still, I'll give it a go! :) Thank you!

I would recommend you do, or you won't be able to play sadly. Or, until the patches in 1.5.17 end up in stable which won't be for a very long time. 1.4.1 is still the stable release as an example, it has been the stable release since March.

Playing in the naughty experimental/beta code isn't always bad, you know ;)
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I would recommend you do, or you won't be able to play sadly. Or, until the patches in 1.5.17 end up in stable which won't be for a very long time. 1.4.1 is still the stable release as an example, it has been the stable release since March.

Playing in the naughty experimental/beta code isn't always bad, you know ;)

Sounds kinky. Both in the figurative definition and in terms of bugs.

I'm actually using a CXGames wine engine to run the game. Nothing else worked for me.
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Sounds kinky. Both in the figurative definition and in terms of bugs.

I'm actually using a CXGames wine engine to run the game. Nothing else worked for me.

Ah, it will take Codeweavers time to address the issues brought on by the new expansion. It's based on wine 1.4. You'd be better off building and installing. Just make sure to read the link I gave so you can install all the necessary dependencies first, or you will never get anywhere.
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Ah, it will take Codeweavers time to address the issues brought on by the new expansion. It's based on wine 1.4. You'd be better off building and installing. Just make sure to read the link I gave so you can install all the necessary dependencies first, or you will never get anywhere.

Would you happen to have a link to the wine 1.5.17 source code by any chance?
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Would you happen to have a link to the wine 1.5.17 source code by any chance?

http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/wine/source/1.5/wine-1.5.17.tar.bz2
  • Zhu - Lost City
    edited November 2012
    Options

Thank you very much. Wish me luck! (Also, I managed to update the game on a crappy windows laptop, copied the game folder over and it seems to run the client just fine, but I'd rather be able to update it)
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thank you very much. Wish me luck! (Also, I managed to update the game on a crappy windows laptop, copied the game folder over and it seems to run the client just fine, but I'd rather be able to update it)

Yep yep, I am sure you will do fine, so long as you install the dependencies first =.)
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have a question do you guys play PWI in a well-manner and does it give a satisfaction gameplay? Since this game is made on Windows platform and u guys are playing it on Linux ? Just asking
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Oniryuu - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have a question do you guys play PWI in a well-manner and does it give a satisfaction gameplay? Since this game is made on Windows platform and u guys are playing it on Linux ? Just asking

Yes, actually it works quite well. Performance isn't as good as say windows in most cases, but it is definitely playable. In linux with quite a few games, your gain on performance is CPU based mostly because of the load it brings on the system. I am sure there are some TW factions with linux players that play without an issue.