Can we get a fix on the damn memory leak?

Ambisagrus - Lost City
Ambisagrus - Lost City Posts: 204 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion
Like seriously...3 d/c's from it in less than 15 minutes since this new update

What in the **** did ya'll break???

Edit: Make that 10 d/c's now in 20 mins time frame....
Going for on sin: pwcalc.com/d916f4e82a02e4dd

Currently saved: 0

Total cost: 5 bil

My time: Lulz.
Post edited by Ambisagrus - Lost City on

Comments

• Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    DC'ing is not caused by a memory leak, it has to do with your internets.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    edited October 2012
    lol, tell that to the 1.6 mil + memory usage that causes the client to become nonresponsive and then proceed to close itself out via a bug report or crash entirely.

Next contender.

• Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    lol, tell that to the 1.6 mil + memory usage that causes the client to become nonresponsive and then proceed to close itself out via a bug report or crash entirely.

Next contender.
    Actually, he was right as this was not what you said in your first post. You said D/C, nothing about client crashes.

Anyway....all is normal for me since this mornings patch. No D/C, no crashes, no lag.
  • hiddenmonkey
    hiddenmonkey Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually, he was right as this was not what you said in your first post. You said D/C, nothing about client crashes.

I actually have the same crash issue. PW is loaded with bugs and you can't really blame it on my computer, because its awesome. And it did it to my not so awesome one either.

Just because you're one of the 90% of people who can barely run pw with your ancient computer does not mean that the problem is not there. For a while high textures have been unplayable for me having to run on medium less I crash. Everyone who has lul'd at me I ask what their setting are, they are low. I lul at them. I haven't actually watched my task manager to see if the crashes are caused by a memory leak but its certainly not because my 64GB of ram running out. YES, I have THAT much. That's how good it is. Why? Because I can.

Even on lower settings (Max setting with texture on Med stops the bulk of crashes) the client still dies if I tp to Tellus... sometimes, very rarely Raging Tide. Entering the game or flying into Tellus, no problem. I have an fps in the 700's running around, its not me, its this game.
  • KissAndKill - Dreamweaver
    KissAndKill - Dreamweaver Posts: 750 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's also not about speed of your Internet (Unless it falls under 54 kbps.) MMOs are meant to be played with cache loaded from packaged files so that the server doesn't have to continuously send the textures / models / etc. to the clients. This makes it so that if you disconnect, it's either a problem with your Internet Service Provider, one of the hubs along the way to the PWI Server(s) or the PWI Server(s) themselves. As explained above.

Ping is what drives the quality of an MMO, as well as your graphics card(s). The FPS you see via fraps or via the stuttering you get while playing the game is caused by your GPU, not your Internet Connection. Rubberbanding, map lag, etc. are caused by your Connection.

I do agree that PWI does have memory issues among other things. But before plugging holes, I believe that the developers should first focus on porting the game directly to a better architecture rather than to keep it 32-Bit / PAE. 64-Bit would help the engine a lot, and would allow it to take advantage of better optimized methods.

Whether you like it or not as well, some people forcibly cause lag to get an advantage over other players. This is done more so on shooter multiplayer games, even more so arena-like games. What these people do, is use a proxy, and on top of that, they force the server to bounce the send data to and from across the globe so that the other players (not the one causing the lag usually) have lag. It's really annoying, but can't be helped. Only way for an MMO to take care of that, is block all proxies no matter how they feel about their customers. They also need to make sure that the game server only receives a certain connection type (IE: HTTP, rather than let's say, GOPHER or something.) As well as only accept one incoming port for each channel / server.

Once you're done with that, throw a hosts file onto the machine and re-block all said proxies through that, for a double layer, in case the firewall is breached, the OS will block it instead. (Since when a hosts file is defined, it forces the hosts file to be obeyed, no matter what. (It is not a part of Windows Firewall, etc. So even if that's turned off, it still is implemented.)) I'm sure you can make a hosts file or something similar to refuse certain incoming connections on the OS Side of things.
    There once a time when I cared about getting to the top quickly as possible to help others. Now, I take it slow, and don't worry about having nothing to do. There's always something to do in an MMORPG, especially if you are high level. PK'ing is for those who desire to inflate their egos. True friendship comes from helping one-another, rather than to start rivalries.

It takes 315300 Mysterious Chips to make one warsoul weapon, if you have a 100% success rate.
  • Cotillion - Dreamweaver
    Cotillion - Dreamweaver Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Just because you're one of the 90% of people who can barely run pw with your ancient computer does not mean that the problem is not there.
    ...say wha? I run with all settings maxed on my desktop and my laptop, both fairly new machines. Not sure where that comment you made came from.
    And I never said there wasn't any memory problem or not a problem with the client. Just the OP made a post about D/Cing due to a memory leak which would not be the case if he was simply have connection problems. Turns out his client is crashing.
  • augustfinknottle
    augustfinknottle Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I left my shop up for the last days without a single DC or crash. Haven't had a crash in the last, say, 2 months?

I can play with max settings, but it gets too shiny to my taste, so I reduce textures a bit. I also don't like those shadows, they irritate me. Other than that, max distances and stuff are always active. No problem of DCs or crashes in a long time. I'd say game has never been so stable for me as it is right now.
  • lordmot
    lordmot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I actually have the same crash issue. PW is loaded with bugs and you can't really blame it on my computer, because its awesome. And it did it to my not so awesome one either.

Just because you're one of the 90% of people who can barely run pw with your ancient computer does not mean that the problem is not there. For a while high textures have been unplayable for me having to run on medium less I crash. Everyone who has lul'd at me I ask what their setting are, they are low. I lul at them. I haven't actually watched my task manager to see if the crashes are caused by a memory leak but its certainly not because my 64GB of ram running out. YES, I have THAT much. That's how good it is. Why? Because I can.

Even on lower settings (Max setting with texture on Med stops the bulk of crashes) the client still dies if I tp to Tellus... sometimes, very rarely Raging Tide. Entering the game or flying into Tellus, no problem. I have an fps in the 700's running around, its not me, its this game.

My wife and I have the same issues. We both have quad-core 27" iMacs and up until a patch this past spring we could both run with maxed settings with no problems. Then after a maintenance - as far as I could tell it was nothing special - we would get the infamous stoplight screen occasionally while running through Arch and almost always when teleporting to Tellus and sometimes RT. While out in the boondocks we can run fine maxed. We submitted tickets, of course, but that got us nothing.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.b:chuckle
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    edited October 2012
    lordmot wrote: »
    My wife and I have the same issues. We both have quad-core 27" iMacs and up until a patch this past spring we could both run with maxed settings with no problems. Then after a maintenance - as far as I could tell it was nothing special - we would get the infamous stoplight screen occasionally while running through Arch and almost always when teleporting to Tellus and sometimes RT. While out in the boondocks we can run fine maxed. We submitted tickets, of course, but that got us nothing.

Are you running on Windows, or on an un-supported OS?

Also, the problem with the client crashing while running through Arch, or teleporting to Tellus and RT is commonly fixed by simply reducing the Distance slider a notch or two.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Also, the problem with the client crashing while running through Arch, or teleporting to Tellus and RT is commonly fixed by simply reducing the Distance slider a notch or two.

Also Proxy Visuals has to be checked.
    There once a time when I cared about getting to the top quickly as possible to help others. Now, I take it slow, and don't worry about having nothing to do. There's always something to do in an MMORPG, especially if you are high level. PK'ing is for those who desire to inflate their egos. True friendship comes from helping one-another, rather than to start rivalries.

It takes 315300 Mysterious Chips to make one warsoul weapon, if you have a 100% success rate.
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    checked task manager.

PWI client still using 617mb RAM just like it always has.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    edited October 2012
    checked task manager.

How much RAM the client uses depends entirely on your graphic settings and the areas you are in/have been.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    checked task manager.

Yep, mine's at about 893 mb, with "Best Performance" ticked on in archosaur right now :D

Flash also takes up a chunk too...

ppRpB.png

My RAM / Memory is 8 GB though, hope to upgrade to 16 GB in the near future. (Since I have two empty RAM slots.) Mainly because of fraps, also want to multi-task more, render video, etc. I also plan to upgrade my current GPU to a new or better one.

• Ambisagrus - Lost City
    edited October 2012
    From Kiss and Kills post you can see the normal running amount of memory the client is suppose to use.

The range that the client is actually within varies based on location and which server you go to, but at best it'll use only 450k worth of memory, at worst it'll use about 990k. When these numbers reach into the millions you start having lag at a harsh rate, and then when it sky rockets into the 1.6+ mil range the client will become nonresponsive and crash either via a bug report or just straight out crash out and end the program. (Unless you see the memory usage being that high, and close it out yourself before it crashes)

to answer people's questions about my computer:

Alienware 2012, M14x, maxed out ram (16GB for this system), cache sitting at 412 MB, hard disk space sitting at nearly 800 GB (total, free is around 672 GB). I mean if somebody can remind me how to get than damn digdiax or w/e they call it menu up, i'll gladly post a screenshot of it to let ya'll view it.

edited October 2012
    damn digdiax or w/e they call it menu up, i'll gladly post a screenshot of it to let ya'll view it.

Windows Key + R

In the run dialog that pops up, type in dxdiag then press enter. Here's mine from Save all Information:

http://pastebin.com/GJzHtfJF

• Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    edited October 2012
    Before my Video card blew, running my 8800GT with graphics options near max, the client would regularly run 1.2-1.6GB. It would only be around 650k when I first logged into the game in a remote area.

Now with just the onboard video chip, and graphics options near minimum, it rarely goes past 800k.

It has everything to do with what your graphic options are set to. Remember, the client hardly uses the GPU, what it does use is your CPU and system ram.

Having 16GB of memory doesn't mean jack anyhow. 32-bit applications have a cap of 2GB. They aren't able to recognize memory addresses higher than that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Snoozin - Raging Tide
    Snoozin - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    V4 if u see this thread pass this information to Devs , its really getting annoying day by day ! b:surrender
  • hiddenmonkey
    edited October 2012
    lordmot wrote: »

Yeah, running through Arch is where I crashed a lot too. I was in South Arch running to west from the banker. I crashed three times before I even made it to the little wall behind the building on the west side of the road in South Arch. I was like wtf... I'm rocking 6 cores =3 I have buyers remorse and wish I got 8.

I stopped playing for the longest time because on my old system when I tried to do FF runs my ping would randomly spike into the 35000ms (YES, 35 second ping, I should disconnect that high) And it was only in FF that it happened.

But I wouldn't expect them to do anything. PWI literally has no involvement with patching what so ever beyond text editing and a few other minor things like npc placements, events, sales, available items. Those sorts of things. They have to send their bug reports to the Chinese devs, who then based on when they get it, and when they figure it out we might see a patch for something 3-6 months later (Or longer) since Frankie has already admitted that due to convince its better for pwi dev(s) to receive large infrequent bulk patches for them to edit rather than small frequent ones.
    edited October 2012
    Having 16GB of memory doesn't mean jack anyhow. 32-bit applications have a cap of 2GB. They aren't able to recognize memory addresses higher than that.

Unless they're PAE Compatible. (Which usually, based on how the OS works, the OS will force the 32-Bit application to take more than 4 GB of RAM if it thinks it can) Another thing to note. If your GPU doesn't have enough memory to handle the graphics of PWI, the OS you use will offload GPU Memory into the RAM instead. (This occurs on Windows 7 and Vista without a doubt. This is known as Shared Memory. I know the article states that it's mainly for CPU use, but the OS can allocate RAM to be used for GPU VRAM.)

Also, depending on the power of your CPU, if the GPU doesn't have enough power, the CPU will take up the slack. This is more apparent in games that use a better engine, such as Skyrim. If you throw Ultra onto a GPU such as mine (The GTX 470) the CPU will kick in eventually to take the slack that the GPU can't handle. I should know, because the Thermaltake Frio Aftermarket CPU Cooler will go into 90% load during certain scenes that the GPU alone can't handle. (My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T at 3.3 GHz per each of the six physical cores it has. However, it doesn't have as much L* Cache as the FX Line.)

• hiddenmonkey
    edited October 2012
    Unless they're PAE Compatible. (Which usually, based on how the OS works, the OS will force the 32-Bit application to take more than 4 GB of RAM if it thinks it can) Another thing to note. If your GPU doesn't have enough memory to handle the graphics of PWI, the OS you use will offload GPU Memory into the RAM instead. (This occurs on Windows 7 and Vista without a doubt. This is known as Shared Memory. I know the article states that it's mainly for CPU use, but the OS can allocate RAM to be used for GPU VRAM.)

Also, depending on the power of your CPU, if the GPU doesn't have enough power, the CPU will take up the slack. This is more apparent in games that use a better engine, such as Skyrim. If you throw Ultra onto a GPU such as mine (The GTX 470) the CPU will kick in eventually to take the slack that the GPU can't handle. I should know, because the Thermaltake Frio Aftermarket CPU Cooler will go into 90% load during certain scenes that the GPU alone can't handle. (My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T at 3.3 GHz per each of the six physical cores it has. However, it doesn't have as much L* Cache as the FX Line.)

My old 'puter's CPU fan would flip out in Frozen/snowy areas. Now I know why.
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    edited October 2012
    System Tab:

minemq.png

Display Tab:

mineji.png

Those are directly off the dxdiag....so yeah, Anybody wann try and explain to me why i'm crashing like a **** :D?

• tgseraph
    tgseraph Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    System Tab:

minemq.png

Display Tab:

mineji.png

Those are directly off the dxdiag....so yeah, Anybody wann try and explain to me why i'm crashing like a **** :D?
    Your computer is too epic for PW to handle.
  • Ambisagrus - Lost City
    edited October 2012
    tgseraph wrote: »
    Your computer is too epic for PW to handle.

Wouldn't be the first, nor will it be the last b:cute

(especially since I'm gonna be upgrading to M17x sometime in the next year)

• scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How much RAM the client uses depends entirely on your graphic settings and the areas you are in/have been.

You don't think I know that. What's your point?

The OP said that something had changed in the game to create a memory and make the amount of RAM the client used to blow out to huge proportions, im simply saying that the amount of RAM my client is using is the same as usual.

The actual amount is insignificant.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
    edited October 2012
    System Tab:

minemq.png

Display Tab:

mineji.png

It's because your Intel graphics card is your main display adapter. It should be disabled in the BIOS if you can, or set priority of your PCI / Dedicated card first.
    My old 'puter's CPU fan would flip out in Frozen/snowy areas. Now I know why.

My GPU/CPU cannot handle ENBs on Skyrim at all =/ It'll lag out like crazy. Without ENBs though, it's powerful enough to almost load all of skyrim at once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5fnH3D26A

(Using fraps on top of that) As a note though, Skyrim is able to handle PAE Instructions itself. (So it can take more than 4 GB if needed. Once I was done with this video, it was up over 2.5 GB already.)

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I recently had the same problem, forcing PWI to use my NVIDIA graphics card instead of Intel card fixed everything.
    edited October 2012
    I recently had the same problem, forcing PWI to use my NVIDIA graphics card instead of Intel card fixed everything.

This is what [almost] all Alienware laptop users have a problem with, the Intel integrated portion taking over when it shouldn't. It will not be fixed by alienware, it's a feature of NVIDIA (Known as Optimus.) Only way you can have a permanent solution is to not buy a laptop with Optimus in the first place, or without an integrated non-dedicated card alongside a dedicated card.

AMD APUs should be avoided for this reason as well if possible.

• Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If the client does'nt crash upon teleporting to Tellus or West City, then something is wrong :P.
  • timkalex
    timkalex Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

so you forced your pc to using your intergrated graphic card instead of using the graphic card on the pci/pci express slot..or you set it up to completely shut down the intergrated graphic card?

i don't use my intergrated graphics..cause it sux..i have 2GB NVIDIA GT 610..my issue is my ram..only have 2GB of ram doesn't help..i'm going to be upgrading to 4GB and then i should see a better FPS rate..i don't have client crashes..only if i run like 3 clients..then 1 would crash
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    timkalex wrote: »
    so you forced your pc to using your intergrated graphic card instead of using the graphic card on the pci/pci express slot..or you set it up to completely shut down the intergrated graphic card?

i don't use my intergrated graphics..cause it sux..i have 2GB NVIDIA GT 610..my issue is my ram..only have 2GB of ram doesn't help..i'm going to be upgrading to 4GB and then i should see a better FPS rate..i don't have client crashes..only if i run like 3 clients..then 1 would crash

Most chipsets cannot completely disable the onboard video graphics (IGP). Most just initialize the PCIE card first, and if it's not found, switches output over to the IGP. I can even get my PC to boot with 2 monitors hooked up to my NVidia PCIE card, and two more monitors hooked up to the IGP. The resource requirements are stupid, but it can be done.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level